Skip to content

Toolset Crash on Area Load

AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
edited February 2018 in Technical Support
The toolset in the latest release is now broken for me. I cannot open the starting area in my module, Sanctum of the Archmage: The Sight. I get a repeated popup error saying "sqrt: DOMAIN error." The error won't clear and the area cannot be loaded. I can only stop the error by ending the toolset in the task manager. I have edited this area in EE before with no problem.

At first I thought this was a module corruption error from my new editing work. However the same thing happens when I try to load the currently released and working 1.69 Diamond version of my module, which has never even been opened in EE. Whatever is causing this problem is new in one of the more recent builds of the toolset.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi,

this is hopefully fixed in the upcoming 8160.
    JuliusBorisovAndarian
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2018
    Thanks, Niv. I'll check it after the next update.

In the meantime I've actually managed to find a way to work around this. Apparently, for whatever is causing it, there are a finite number of these errors. I pressed and held the "enter" key on the error popup for the better part of a minute, and it finally cleared and showed me the area. That must have generated hundreds of "OK" responses to the error dialog, but at least I can eventually bypass it.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2018
    After testing I have some new information on these errors. As near as I can tell they are all the result of bad tiles in the NWNCQ Project. My guess is that these errors may have been in the tiles all along, but that they were being ignored by the toolset until the recent EE re-builds. Removing NWNCQ from the module's hak list causes these errors to vanish.

Here's a full list of the offending tiles that I've found. These are the ones that were borking my already built areas; there may be other tiles in the set that are problematic as well.

City Interior Tileset: tin01_h02_01, tin01_h02_02, and tin01_h02_03
    Castle Interior Tileset: tic_01_j16_01
    Dungeon Tileset: tde01_a01_04
    Ruins Tileset: tdr01_a44_01, and possibly tdr01_a43_01

I have yet to examine what specifically in these tiles is causing the problem. In the City and Castle Interior cases, those tiles have shafts of light streaming in through overhead windows. The Dungeon and Ruins tiles each have torch flames that may be the source of the error.

I'm still considering what exactly to do about this. Since I was already looking at alternative "facelift" haks for Sanctum:EE, I'm probably going to continue pursuing that.
    Post edited by Andarian on
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    @Andarian, have you examined these problem tile models for the issues described by @Proleric overe here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/960632 ? He includes a link to a handy Moneo script to help divide and conquer tilesets to make sure nothing is overlooked in fixing stuff.

I dunno if it's the same issue ( don't use NWNCQ), but it may be worth a peak. I've used Proleric's moneo script on another couple tilesets I was poking on my own to make sure nothing turned up sour for NWNee.

-Dave
    Andarian
    edited March 2018
    Dave, thanks. No, I haven't. I'll take a look at that.

I am going to look at alternatives before trying to fix up the tiles, though. I've already eliminated my reliance on the Forest makeover by replacing it with Wild Woods. I also found that Henesua broke out the individual tilesets for NWNCQ, so for the ones I keep I'll shift to only using the individual haks I need.
    Zwerkules
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2018
    I'm getting the same sqt domain error. In my case it's a animated placeable I'm working on.. Using no haks or custom tiles. Toolset and game works fine when exported from max.
    I then alter the mdl to add the renderhint NormalAndSpecMapped info and the toolset will not load the area with placeable,, however the game and placeable still works. Version 8162
    Andarian
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    Resolved my issue.. It turned out to be a uvw issue.. Basically tverts from a mesh being at same coordinates.
    Thanks to Symmetric and Laputian Bird for the assistance.
    For further info refer to :smile:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69549/sqrt-domain-error-toolset-bug/p1?new=1
    JuliusBorisov
  • ud4everud4ever Member Posts: 1
    Maybe this information helps somebody.

Yesterday I had a problem with toolset crash on area load when I updated the NVidia driver to the latest version 419.67 realised 03/25/2019. This issue solved after downgrade to older driver's version https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/142736/en-us
    Kerick45JuliusBorisov
  • Daijin_HeartlightDaijin_Heartlight Member Posts: 11
    Yep, same happening to me, toolset freezes on area loads with latest 419.67 . sigh.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Notifying @virusman just in case.
  • jay12jay12 Member Posts: 7
    Samething happened to me. Haven't tried downgrading yet.
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    downgrading worked for me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jay12jay12 Member Posts: 7
    Me as well.
    JuliusBorisov