Skip to content

Beamdog partners with Skybound Games

124»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    lefreut wrote: »
    “Apparently the team at Beamdog had to go and squash a huge amount of pathfinding issues in the game to get this working”

I'm holding my breath for pc 2.5 ... just don't let me suffocate ...

2.6 will not have any pathfinding improvement :|

Unless crumbs fall from the console's table, I suppose. Much like Beamdog stated will happen with the UI.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246

Raduziel wrote: »
    “Apparently the team at Beamdog had to go and squash a huge amount of pathfinding issues in the game to get this working”

Unless crumbles falls from the console's table, I suppose. Much like Beamdog stated will happen with the UI.

will the console interface become standard on the computer version?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This hasn't been commented about yet and I guess anything that would happen after the console ports hasn't been decided. However, in the February blog entry it was stated that "Now that the console releases are announced, we can share that we’ve been doing extensive updates to our UI system that could very possibly end up paying dividends for the PC versions into the future. For the time being, however, all of the UI work we’re doing is centered squarely around the console versions of the games, so any changes to the PC UI won’t happen for a while." I suppose, but it hasn't been confirmed or even mentioned, the similar approach might be taken towards pathfinding issues.

The pool of fixes and features in the 2.6 patch was determined earlier, and that won't be changed.

• ckoeckoe Member Posts: 26
    I suppose, but it hasn't been confirmed or even mentioned, the similar approach might be taken towards pathfinding issues.

The pool of fixes and features in the 2.6 patch was determined earlier, and that won't be changed.

Eventually what I believe is an internal engine fix, i.e. the pathfinding, might be much easier to port than an UI or UI elements between two very different systems ? So it would be nice if that would happen at some point after 2.6 release.
    I think it is a good thing that the content of patch 2.6 will not change, otherwise I would probably have to wait longer.
    lefreut
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    "Now that the console releases are announced, we can share that we’ve been doing extensive updates to our UI system that could very possibly end up paying dividends for the PC versions into the future

(...)

That confirms my crumbs theory, I suppose.

Can you please provide a list of the fixes and features for 2.6? I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
    realshemp
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    anastiel wrote: »

Raduziel wrote: »

Unless crumbles falls from the console's table, I suppose. Much like Beamdog stated will happen with the UI.

will the console interface become standard on the computer version?

I hope not. It's ok if they backport some of the fixes and improvements but you don't play the same way with a gamepad or a mouse/keyboard. We don't need the full console UI on PC.

And really, a lot of things have already been reported here and on redmine, you don't need a console port to realize what's wrong with the current UI on PC.
    RaduzielLudwig_IIRavenslightThacoBell
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    So I guess writing all new code for an IwD2:EE is not possible only because it is not financially viable?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The code for BG and IWDII is very different. It's more similar to the situation with the PST code, but Beamdog had the source code for PST.
    kanisathamlneveseAerakaranastiel
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    It’s gone very silent in here... the suspense is killing me :neutral:
    MacNobody
    Marooners_Rock played a demo of BG:EE at PAX East 2019 and chatted with Trent Oster.

http://maroonersrock.com/2019/04/pax-east-2019-baldurs-gate/

Includes answers to the following questions:

So what is next after you release Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch?

What D&D edition is Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition based off of?

So do you own the rights to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition?

After porting all of those titles, what is your next goal?

So, what originally inspired you to join Interplay Entertainment?

What brought you to partner with Skybound?

The demo that I played; my characters were a bit overpowered. Will there be different difficulties for the player to try for a different experience?

What is your opinion on how Bioware has been doing?
    Prince_RaymondmlneveseStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited May 2019
    Is there a release date yet for NWN EE on the PS4 Xbox One?
    Post edited by Dordledum on
    @Dordledum Not yet as far as I know. I am dying for them to announce the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 release dates for Xbox one.
    Doh! I meant Xbox One as well, I recently switched systems, but haven't gotten it into my system yet. :)
    @Dordledum I am really looking forward to seeing how it runs on console. If its anything like Pillars of Eternity then it will run great. Took me a little while to get used to the controls on Pillars but once i got used to it, it was pretty easy.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2019
    byrne20 wrote: »
    @Dordledum I am really looking forward to seeing how it runs on console. If its anything like Pillars of Eternity then it will run great. Took me a little while to get used to the controls on Pillars but once i got used to it, it was pretty easy.

I couldn't get past the radial wheels selection they added to the console version. I HATE radial wheels - they are slow and cumbersome and I know the EE console versions have them...

They could use the same PC UI layout and easily adapt it to console:

1. press a button to highlight/select the menu on the left of the UI
    2. use the stick or d-pad to move up and down and select what you want (journal, record, spells, etc.)
    3. when you highlight the icon you want, press a button to open it

A similar system could've easily worked for PoE as well.
    64hxgc005kge.png
    Finally some news :smile:
    StummvonBordwehrFrostHarui89Dordledum
  • FrostHarui89FrostHarui89 Member Posts: 5
    64hxgc005kge.png
    Finally some news :smile:

I’ll be playing this on PS4 since it is better but no Siege of Dragonspear which it is puzzling on it being released.
    edited June 2019
    @FrostHarui89 I am gonna be playing on my Xbox one X :wink:

I’m pretty sure Siege of Dragonspear comes with Baldur’s Gate.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • FrostHarui89FrostHarui89 Member Posts: 5

Good to know and I wish we can import our hard earned characters from whichever port that you’ve played on.
    [Deleted User]
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

It's definitely in if you look at this link.

JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrbyrne20[Deleted User]
    December for NWN is a long way away, :/
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    But what about console localisations?
    I guess games will have got a special interface or tutorial which need translations.
    Is developer going to hire translators or to employ volunteers?
    @rede9 The localizations for console versions are handled by Skybound Games. Our localization coordinator is working with them and all the volunteer teams.
  • MakasoulMakasoul Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2019
    Damn thought they were gonna come out with something cool, not a console ports :( I mean you honestly cant see people buying these on consoles can you lol. Maybe a few, like the first poster who said he would buy it just because haha. I cannot see any one on console sitting down can going, yep i want to play a game from 2000 that looks like garbage, when ps5 and the new xbox are coming out.

The only people who play these games are people who played them originally. I guess I could see if it would take 10 mins to port it, but it doesnt. Not to mention on console you lose dedicated servers, mods, makes it sound stupid to me, but that is just my opinion.

I guess maybe if they are cross platform, which they cant be because nintendo doesnt like that, and either does playstation, so i dono seems like a big waste of time.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Congrats on the deal sounds like a pretty interesting dynamic. Hopefully it pans out and introduces a whole bunch of players to the franchise that have been sitting who prefer consoles.

So...when’s that Vita version? :D

Honestly torn between Switch version or a PS4 version for those Platinum trophies. I’ve got it on the phone and find it entirely playable and then on a laptop. Decisions decisions.

Any idea if it will be crossplay at all or is that idea out of rhe window for the console versions?

Finally got my Vita version!

6dgcs2c77ehn.jpg
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]lolien