Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is your race/ethnicity?

124»

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Croat. My ancestors were Dalmatian, German, and Slavic. I don't think there are many Croat forum members (or any ex-Yugoslavia states) here.
    Probaby the state is mostly known today for it's footbal team and Cro Cop :) . and Janica Kostelic.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i don't know anything about football but pelè maradona and paolorossi, anso don't know much about miss janica, but i really like croatia, i have been there many times. but at that time tito was still alive, i suppose that many things have changed. maybe is time for me to visit it again...
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    i don't know anything about football but pelè maradona and paolorossi, anso don't know much about miss janica, but i really like croatia, i have been there many times. but at that time tito was still alive, i suppose that many things have changed. maybe is time for me to visit it again...

Janica is a legend of ski sports. The thing is, we don't have much snow in Croatia, which makes her an oddity. She won 4 medals in Salt Lake City Olympics (3 gold), but she's more known for winning a bronze medal in WC after loosing her skiing stick (don't know the english word for that).
    Many things have indeed changed since Tito - some for better, some for worse. I was born 2 years after he died, but still lived in Yugoslavia for 8 years. then the war started and I became Croat.
    gorgonzola
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Alonso wrote: »
    Blastback wrote: »
    Scottish Irish and Welsh. So Celtic. Very very Celtic.

But is that a race? I mean, when I was living in Ireland everybody thought I was a local when they saw me (and before I opened my mouth, of course). There's absolutely no physical trait that distinguishes me from an Irishman, yet all my ancestors have been born in Spain for many generations.

I'm far from an expert obviously, but celts populated both what is modern day GB and Spain, the latter was knows as Celtibrians IIRC (too lazy too google it now). In some of the Spanish islands where the influence from Nothern Africa during the Moor days of Spain was diminutive, modern day Spanish still have ie blond/red hair and blue eyes. They are even called something special, don't remember exactly, but it's ie "rancho" or "chango" or something similar. So, is it a race? well no, but it's hereditary genetics tied to a geographical area. So perhaps your genetics are very celtibirian rather than more Moor influenced mixed spanish genetics.

Btw, on a side note. I really love this guy's Youtube channel. He makes excellent videos explaining exactly subjects like this https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasRowsell
    gorgonzola
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    The word is Celtiberian, which is a mix of Celtic and Iberian. The modern Spanish population is a mix of Celtic, Iberian, Roman, Arabic, Goth, and probably a few others. I guess I got less Arab genes than other Spaniards, hence my whiteness. The Irish population is an equally eclectic mix. That's why I don't think any race can be identified in these countries beyond (maybe) white or Caucasian.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Hispanic doesn't mean from Spain necessarily. It's a mix of white, black, and Native American that tends to be prominent in Spanish speaking areas in the Americas. A person from Spain would generally just be white.

Then why call then "hispanic"? this people tends to have more indigenous(aztec) blood than anything else.

My answer? I an a pale skinned Brazilian with an very alpinid looking mother and blonde, green eyed father, who was born with blonde hair but is now dark haired. Can't garantee that i an 100% European, mainly because i don't know much my father family past 2 generations ago, but if there are an indigenous or african ancestor, i don't know.

PS : When i say "pale skinned", my skin is very pale and weak against sunray
    7Qf2WNK.jpg
    gorgonzola
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    We're all Homo Sapiens. The ones from Europe probably have a little bit of Homo Neanderthalensis in them too. Everything else is just semantics.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzolasemiticgoddessThacoBell