Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Hard luck, @Neverused. That quest is really dicey. I don't know exactly what happened to you, but without the right stats or maybe the right class, Vichand or a certain guard (I've seen both of them guarding the chest, sometimes together and sometimes alone) won't hand over the scroll without a fight. If that fight doesn't end soon enough, the alarm goes off and the whole camp turns hostile. The Flaming Fist will come in to help from the southeast, but that takes a while and making your way across the map to hide behind them is really dangerous without Potions of Invisibility for the whole party. The mages in that fight are really deadly, and there are multiple targets for your Arrows of Dispelling.
    Wise_GrimwaldGrond0Mantis37StummvonBordwehr
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Bladeservant et al arrived at the Cloakwood Mines and have defeated all the ground level enemies, even Tytus. Tytus has always been such a major pain in the butt in the past that sneaking past was a considered option except for the fact that Bladeservant is an Inquisitor!! True Sight made Tytus tough, but not excessively so. No backstabs made all the difference. Magic Missiles from Aura and Valerie were quite potent. Whilst his armour was good, it went straight into the Bag of Holding as it wasn't THAT good.
    Mantis37StummvonBordwehr
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It was then realised that we had a dragon to fight and insufficient protection against fire. The party headed to the area east of the Nashkel Mines to remedy that before returning.

With the ring of fire protection, Bladeservant was able to take on the dragon single-handed as he was immune to fire damage.
    Out of curiosity, have you made use of the Advanced Alchemy ability of Aura's kit? There's a large variety of potions there, including fire and cold resistance potions.
    I'd not considered using the Ring of Energy on Davaeorn. Good thinking, @Grond0!

Davaeorn healing himself is very odd. That's only supposed to happen after 8 hours have passed, but that's 40 real-time minutes. Did the fight really drag on that long?
    Wise_Grimwald
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    @Grond0: Is that a standard monk or the dark moon kit? Just wondering what's causing the blur effect.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Can't edit post, so here's a quick pic of the ambush
    hmubre7h93fl.jpg

Ran, but nice adrenalin shot running into this anyway!
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldBlind_Visionary
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I'd not considered using the Ring of Energy on Davaeorn. Good thinking, @Grond0!

Davaeorn healing himself is very odd. That's only supposed to happen after 8 hours have passed, but that's 40 real-time minutes. Did the fight really drag on that long?
    I wasn't timing it, but it could well have done. I always play at 60 fps, so it would only have been about 20 minutes. Although Mendel hit him many, many times he never managed to get through Davaeorn's various stoneskins before those refreshed. His very high resistance to fire meant that the wand of the heavens wasn't a good option and I was originally trying to save the ring of energy - hence the use of the wand of magic missiles. The latter was clearly too slow to kill him in time, but if I had optimized the fight a bit more the ring of energy could have done the job with a bit to spare. Part of the problem specific to me is due to not using healing potions. A lot of care is needed to avoid MMMs and Davaeorn (like a number of other magic users in SCS) has a nasty habit of producing more of those without actually casting any spells. I was thus having to be a bit cautious about exposure to those.

jessejmc wrote: »
    @Grond0: Is that a standard monk or the dark moon kit? Just wondering what's causing the blur effect.
    It's a standard monk. The blur is due to wearing the Claw of Kazgaroth, which is a pretty obvious choice for a monk.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldjessejmcBlind_Visionary
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Do you mean Davaeorn has more missiles than he should at his level? That’s a bug, if so.
    DavidW wrote: »
    Do you mean Davaeorn has more missiles than he should at his level? That’s a bug, if so.

@DavidW I suspect it's not that he has more than he should, but the script for the way they're used that makes them difficult to combat. I think Davaeorn is level 11, so with the 12 additional caster levels in LoB he would have 20 MMMs from a single spell. However, he won't use all of them at once. Sometimes he will change from the missiles and equip a staff - he might or might not then move forward as if to come into melee, but certainly won't do that for long. Instead he'll probably cast a spell or two more before switching back to MMMs. He's likely to do that switching several times in using them all up.

I'm not particularly arguing that treatment should change (although obviously the ability to switch between created magical weapons and standard ones is something not available to the player), just commenting that it means you need to be very careful about MMMs - particularly with a character without critical protection.
    Wise_GrimwaldhistamiiniBlind_Visionary
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    @Grond0: Tough luck on charming the noblemen. I've been able to charm that one with the Nymph Cloak once, but after subsequent tries have triggered the conversation, I now only use it on the southernmost two. Algernon's Cloak for the others.
    Grond0
    edited April 2019
    jessejmc wrote: »
    @Grond0: Tough luck on charming the noblemen. I've been able to charm that one with the Nymph Cloak once, but after subsequent tries have triggered the conversation, I now only use it on the southernmost two. Algernon's Cloak for the others.

Thanks for the info @jessejmc. I haven't actually used charm on the noblemen much in that fight, so was probably just lucky when I got away with it last time ;). What seems slightly odd at first glance is that you are marginally further away from Sarevok there than when charming the middle nobleman on that row. However, I think that's to do with the way the game constructs hexes - you can always attack with weapons from further away if you do so at an angle rather than straight on for instance.
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
    Sorry to hear your monk fall, @Grond0. I'm amazed you got so far.

That Ducal Palace fight seems just awful for a monk. I don't know how else to manage it safely aside from luring the nobles to the southern room with Algernon's Cloak and then using staggered charms from the Nymph Cloak to keep the doppelgangers from transforming more than one at a time.
    Wise_Grimwald