Skip to content

What technology/spell/magic item from sci-fi/fantasy worlds you would NEVER use if they existed?

13»

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited April 2019
    mlnevese wrote: »
    (...)
    Being undead would be a very wierd experience. Emotions are caused by neurochemical reactions an undead is unable to perform. So you'd be a mind living in dead animated flesh unable to feel... In other words you're Commander Data now :)

Depends a lot of settings and the type of undead. Undeads are in some aspect like demons/devils in most fantasy settings on D&D they can range from Imps and Succubus to Balors and similar creatures. In some settings all undeads can't reproduce and in anothers, they can, certain undeads like vampires can produce half vampires(dhampirs), an can fell pain, pleasure, etc. If someone can "magically animate" an body, someone can magically animate emotions too.

Is technically possible for someone to have an Aberration bloodline on D&D or even be an half celestial/half dragon.
    Zombies/Skeletons are different. In some settings, they are trapped souls and in others they are just like an animated dagger/spear.
    mlnevese
    edited April 2019
    Sorry for bumbing so soon, but one more thing about firearms vs magical powers. On some settings, vampires uses his stronger senses and unholy body to allow then to use much more powerful weapons. On Hellsing anime, for example, Alucard uses a .454 Casull pistol in a interesting way. .454 casull is a very strong cartridge, faster, heavier and larger than the .44 magnum that is already an very powerful cartridge. An normal human will lose the "sight" and need to re aim by the recoil after firing an single round, while Seras Victoria uses a anti tank ""rifle"" like a normal human uses a .22 LR rifle(don't know if is a rifle or a cannon, on original anime, her rifle looks like a Mauser 1918 T-Geweh, the first anti tank weapon invented), most humans uses conventional firearms like they are suppose to use.

In a medieval setting, i think that maces for CQB allow vampires to kill the target without losing blood and heavy warbows at long range can make then near invincible considering greater STR/DEX. The conventional "magic" IMO is more useful as defensive abilities.

But in a D&D fantasy, i love to play, but being very honest, live in a D&D world will be awful. First, the average stat for a average human is 10, so you will probably never be an hero or cast any cool spell or do epic stuff. You will probably be human, in constant fear of being attacked while your are in your farm(most common profession), by bandits, chaotic evil orcs, etc. Most RPG's tends to have power fantasy, except horror ones like Call of Cthulhu.

Don't get me wrong, be a lv 20 sorcerer with 20 CHA using wish to shape the reality, be an lv 20 Noble Warrior that has , lands, servants, wealth, etc will be amazing but chances are, you will probably be the farmer that had the daughter taken as a slave and is starving because you lost your plantation to orc raiders, instead of the demigod character that we usually play...

Wish is something that i wish that never exists. It can be very dangerous, not only for the caster.
    mlneveseBalrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    In real life desructive spells would be less useful on day to day than other kinds. A shapechanged individual could frame someone else for a crime, an invisible thief could steal anything from a place that is not warded, etc. A simple friends spell could completely change economic dynamics and even pessoal relationships.

Now there is nothing subtle about using a fireball against a group of people.

Also there is no spell that can compare to the destructive power of a nuclear weapon. The closest I know is a Rolemaster spell that absorbed all life. Used in a wrong way it could kill an entire world. It was also a level 60+ spell by what I remember....

Being undead would be a very wierd experience. Emotions are caused by neurochemical reactions an undead is unable to perform. So you'd be a mind living in dead animated flesh unable to feel... In other words you're Commander Data now :)

The destructive spells might be more powerful than you think. Yeah, they aren't as destructive as a nuke or a missile, but you can't smuggle a nuke or a missile into a rock concert, or a political rally or even the White House or Congress. Seeing as there's no way of detecting a wizard, barring other wizards using divination, the world would be a completely different place if destructive magic was present. Presidents could be assassinated by magic missiles, Horrid Wilting at a concert would slaughter thousands in an instant, flame arrows could take down airplanes or helicopters, delayed blast fireballs could set deadly traps almost anywhere. Death would literally be at your door at all times! Imagine all that in the hands of individuals rather than nations...
    ThacoBellmlneveseSorcererV1ct0rBelgarathMTH
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited April 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Food synthesizer a'la Star Trek. What exactly do they make that food with? Think about it... :s

poop?
    this is exactly what my own food synthesizer, my garden, uses to make the delicious vegetables i eat.
    what is wrong about it?
    deltago wrote: »
    the bathrooms from the movie demolition man with sylvester stallone, i dont know what those sea shells mean, and i dont want to find out....

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/3shellsbig.jpg

you're welcome, or not.

about this i agree, i find very dirty and unhealthy to scrape the poop from the "bottom" with shells or pieces of paper, for me the only method is to wash with water and soap.
    would anyone eat from a plate that before was filled with poop after it has been scraped away with some toilet paper? surely not, because shells and toilet paper are not the proper way to clean poop. every time i have to go to toilet in a place where i can not properly wash myself i feel really uncomfortable until i have the chance to use water and soap.

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    A vampire from the tv series The Strain for various reasons... it's a bit of a repulsive take on the traditional vampire. The show is terribly written, but in general being turned into a vampire there is not a step above being a zombie.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Lightsaber. There is no way I wouldn't cut my limbs off with that thing. Blaster is safer, you can attack from distance, and the only thing you have to worry about is attacking Jedi. But there is no reason for Joe McRandomNPC like me to attack Jedi, so I'm good.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolamlneveseBelgarathMTH
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Artona wrote: »
    Lightsaber. There is no way I wouldn't cut my limbs off with that thing. Blaster is safer, you can attack from distance, and the only thing you have to worry about is attacking Jedi. But there is no reason for Joe McRandomNPC like me to attack Jedi, so I'm good.

Not to mention, to get a beam of "light" (actually plasma) to burn hot enough to work, it would be like holding a sun in your hands. Goodbye whatever landmass you are stading on.
    Artonamlnevese
    the "phone boxes" that are used to have sex in the "sleeper" movie from woody allen.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Artona wrote: »

Most of the ctizens of a far away galaxy a long time ago agreed with you...
    ArtonaThacoBell
    Most of the ctizens of a far away galaxy a long time ago agreed with you...

Well...
    3wqnx6427lcb.gif
    mlneveseBelgarathMTH
    mlneveseBelgarathMTH
    edited April 2019
    In real life desructive spells would be less useful on day to day than other kinds. A shapechanged individual could frame someone else for a crime, an invisible thief could steal anything from a place that is not warded, etc. A simple friends spell could completely change economic dynamics and even pessoal relationships.

Also there is no spell that can compare to the destructive power of a nuclear weapon. The closest I know is a Rolemaster spell that absorbed all life. Used in a wrong way it could kill an entire world. It was also a level 60+ spell by what I remember....

The destructive spells might be more powerful than you think. Yeah, they aren't as destructive as a nuke or a missile, but you can't smuggle a nuke or a missile into a rock concert, or a political rally or even the White House or Congress. Seeing as there's no way of detecting a wizard, barring other wizards using divination, the world would be a completely different place if destructive magic was present. Presidents could be assassinated by magic missiles, Horrid Wilting at a concert would slaughter thousands in an instant, flame arrows could take down airplanes or helicopters, delayed blast fireballs could set deadly traps almost anywhere. Death would literally be at your door at all times! Imagine all that in the hands of individuals rather than nations...

Yes, but in most fantasy setting, only the best of bests magicians has access to high tier magic like horrid wilting. IF you are the unique guy that can cast tier 8 spells, is one thing but if this high magic exists, chances are, the government and private military companies will hire the best magicians in the world and develop some type of "anti magical warfare". VIP people will have casters constant casting spell mantle like spells on then ( https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_mantle ) And note that spells are subjected to field of antimagic, wards, etc. And there are time required to cast spells.

An interesting scene from anime GATE

Imagine they seeing An A-10 thunderbolt...
    mlnevese
    the anime show a technology of this world, not of a sci fi or fantasy one, that i am sure i will never use.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2019
    I would love to have Star Trek transporter technology. Don't like driving. I wouldn't mind being reassembled and wonder if I'm still the same person. I mean, how do I know when I wake up in the morning that I'm the same person as yesterday evening?

It has been said before, but charm spells are about the scariest thing I can imagine. Imagine them in the hands of crazy megalomaniac fanatics. Or your employer :) Also things like Vulcan mind melds, if they can be performed by force.

"Detect Evil". It's already complicated enough in a game. In reality? Would it ping at evil thoughts? Evil plans? Evil personality traits, if they exist? Would it lead to people being jailed, or executed, without ever actually committing an evil act?

mlnevesegorgonzola
    "Detect Evil". It's already complicated enough in a game. In reality? Would it ping at evil thoughts? Evil plans? Evil personality traits, if they exist? Would it lead to people being jailed, or executed, without ever actually committing an evil act?

On the other hand - you wouldn't need any of that Peterson vs Žižek debate nonsense. Just cast one spell and you know who the bad guy is! ;)
    mlneveseArviaSorcererV1ct0rsemiticgoddess
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    :) Point to you @Artona . I was thinking of stuff like Minority Report, but I suppose there are at least two sides to everything.
    Artona
    edited April 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    the anime show a technology of this world, not of a sci fi or fantasy one, that i am sure i will never use.

They used firearms to avoid the enslavement and subjugation. IMO firearms brought more peace to the world.

Before firearms, if Vkings/Huns/Mongols invade your village, you will be enslaved, pilled, etc. Even someone without an strength to wield an 150lbf+ heavy warbow, can defeat an knight in full plate armor. before firearms, the life of the elite was relatively safe since they can have better armor and even once defeated, are just captured an traded by money. This is one reason that so may people hated crossbows. They require much less training than a warbow... The The historical periods with more freedom an safety was exactly when the best weapons was cheap and accessible.

Talking about cool abilities that will be useless IRL, i think on Berserk Armor from anime Berserk. Since there are no demon army IRL, it wold be useless.

And Auriel bow + Sunhallowed Elven Arrows. It can shut down the sun. Very useful if you are a vampire playing with sun damage mod, but think a little. Skyrim already has an harsh climate where raising crops is hard. If Skyrim had an more ""realistic"" actions/consequences system, my vampire lord wold cause an mass starvation, so i will be nothing left to feed, simple because i don't wanna wait few hours... Will be useless IRL or if i an in "living on skyrim" as my character.
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    gorgonzola
    what you say about fire arms is true, from one side. from the other side modern weaponry make possible that few people, with the background of a really complex technological and industrial apprate, wipe out in a moment hundreds of thousands or even millions of other human beings. or at an other level make possible that teenagers are transformed into killers by some local lord of war.

SorcererV1ct0r
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

Yes, but in most fantasy setting, only the best of bests magicians has access to high tier magic like horrid wilting. IF you are the unique guy that can cast tier 8 spells, is one thing but if this high magic exists, chances are, the government and private military companies will hire the best magicians in the world and develop some type of "anti magical warfare". VIP people will have casters constant casting spell mantle like spells on then ( https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_mantle ) And note that spells are subjected to field of antimagic, wards, etc. And there are time required to cast spell

I think a lot of these points would only be valid if real life were a high magic world. But, real life is much closer to a low magic, if not no magic, world. What if all the people posting on this thread were one of only an tiny minority of people in real life with "special magical powers"? Then, as soon as any "special magical powers" were revealed to the wrong people, one of two things would happen. You'd either get mobbed to death by regular people with "torches and pitchforks", or, you'd come to the attention of the military.

No mortal, even in the D&D world, can ignore the existence of all of the mortal world and get away with it. Not even the most powerful mortals can do that, and not even the most powerful undead.

Even gods have to mind the other gods. Even demi-liches and ancient dragons must hide away underground.

In any high magic world, magic becomes highly regulated. Look at Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time", "Harry Potter",Anne Rice's vampire books, any "X-Men" related series from the MCU, BG Amn's "Cowled Wizards", or even "Bewitched's" "Witches' Council". The most powerful magical beings always have the wisdom to understand the need for magical laws and secrecy. No mortal, undead creature, or even immortal, can stand against the combined might of millions.

In a low magic world like "Game of Thrones", or especially like real life, that issue of regulation and secrecy of magic becomes even more important. According to Christianity, Jesus once walked the earth and had access to at least level five or six clerical spells. And look what happened to him. (Although, he was supposedly allowing the crucifixion for metaphysical reasons.)

That's why desiring destructive evocation magic in real life seems kind of foolish to me. Any magic that makes you obviously magical to the rest of the world, is going to get you discovered and either captured and studied, or killed.
    SorcererV1ct0r
    edited April 2019
    BelgarathMTH, for regulate magic IRL if they exist are are DND like, look to firearms IRL, in some countries own even mortars are OK(on US they are Destructive devices and hard to obtain but possible according to this https://www.quora.com/Are-mortars-and-cannons-and-artillery-legal-to-own-by-a-U-S-citizen-and-if-so-what-states ) and on Mexico that is very close to US, anything stronger than .380 ACP/.38 special is illegal. There are draconinan gun laws and gun freedom in different countries. With an big difference. If i learn how to cast an spell on the internet or deep web, no government can make me forget about the spell. If someone purchase an illegal firearm, the weapon can be confiscated. If someone establish an harsh anti magic law, why not just move? If the country A prosecutes mages and the B is a "mage paradise", every mage will wanna life in "country B" and what the country A can do? Try invade? With less powerful mages? That is a problem that i have with Merlin and Dragon Age, if mages are persecuted(in different degrees), why not just leave to a island and create your own magocracy.

On Aladin anime, it happened, Magnostadt was established after magicians made an rebellion. And many mages decided to live there. There are dark secrets about this country but i will not spoil.

As for Harry Potter, despite some spells being prohibited, everyone that doesn't follow the law uses then. And note that magic without an wand on HP universe is very hard an unpredictable. Dumbledore that is one of the best magicians can only use simple magic without an wand. Different than elder scrolls and D&D that you can't remove an tool and make the prisoner unable to cast an spell. So, even the current penal system will not work if magic like D&D/TES is real.

As for "destruction spells", they can be useful outside of battles. An constant stream of electricity can power an factory easily. You can design engines moved to fireballs or something like that. In Log Horizon anime, they powered an steam engine, using fire elementals.

How much energy Lightning storm can generate per second?

And about "they can persecute you", well, if i an an vampire lord like Skyrim, good lucky. Vampire lords are so op on Skyrim that playing on legendary, using mods to add sun damage, stronger enemies, deadly dragons, deadly monsters, etc; i din't died an single time and can easily slay an entire city(except immortal NPC's), to be fair, i only got close to death when fought 2 fire breathing dragons at the same time(vampires are weak to fire), took a long time and the sun raised(i have an mod that adds sun damage and din't had Auriel Bow to shut down the sun in that time). An vampire lord i will be much more terrifying than an Dragon to fight against. Mainly because mistform, a lot of life dreaning abilities, revive dead to serve him, summon gargoyles, levitation, faster than horses... And unless you see someone transforming, you will not know who is the vampire lord.

aWFrmYl.jpg
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    DrHappyAngry
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    BelgarathMTH, for regulate magic IRL if they exist are are DND like, look to firearms IRL, in some countries own even mortars are OK(on US they are Destructive devices and hard to obtain but possible according to this https://www.quora.com/Are-mortars-and-cannons-and-artillery-legal-to-own-by-a-U-S-citizen-and-if-so-what-states ) and on Mexico that is very close to US, anything stronger than .380 ACP/.38 special is illegal. There are draconinan gun laws and gun freedom in different countries. With an big difference. If i learn how to cast an spell on the internet or deep web, no government can make me forget about the spell. If someone purchase an illegal firearm, the weapon can be confiscated. If someone establish an harsh anti magic law, why not just move? If the country A prosecutes mages and the B is a "mage paradise", every mage will wanna life in "country B" and what the country A can do? Try invade? With less powerful mages? That is a problem that i have with Merlin and Dragon Age, if mages are persecuted(in different degrees), why not just leave to a island and create your own magocracy.

On Aladin anime, it happened, Magnostadt was established after magicians made an rebellion. And many mages decided to live there. There are dark secrets about this country but i will not spoil.

As for Harry Potter, despite some spells being prohibited, everyone that doesn't follow the law uses then. And note that magic without an wand on HP universe is very hard an unpredictable. Dumbledore that is one of the best magicians can only use simple magic without an wand. Different than elder scrolls and D&D that you can't remove an tool and make the prisoner unable to cast an spell. So, even the current penal system will not work if magic like D&D/TES is real.

As for "destruction spells", they can be useful outside of battles. An constant stream of electricity can power an factory easily. You can design engines moved to fireballs or something like that. In Log Horizon anime, they powered an steam engine, using fire elementals.

And about "they can persecute you", well, if i an an vampire lord like Skyrim, good lucky. Vampire lords are so op on Skyrim that playing on legendary, using mods to add sun damage, stronger enemies, deadly dragons, deadly monsters, etc; i din't died an single time and can easily slay an entire city(except immortal NPC's), to be fair, i only got close to death when fought 2 fire breathing dragons at the same time(vampires are weak to fire), took a long time and the sun raised(i have an mod that adds sun damage and din't had Auriel Bow to shut down the sun in that time). An vampire lord i will be much more terrifying than an Dragon to fight against. Mainly because mistform, a lot of life dreaning abilities, revive dead to serve him, summon gargoyles, levitation, faster than horses... And unless you see someone transforming, you will not know who is the vampire lord.
    Funny, I just started up a new game of skyrim today. The only problem with going vampire lord is you miss the awesome dwarven crossbow.

So one of the things that scares the hell out of me is the idea of digital democracy, where everyone votes on everything instead of politicians. Don't get me wrong, I think the American politicians are corrupt as hell, on both sides of the aisle. But with the way crap flares up on social media, and the knee jerk reactions so many people have, this would just result in crap like Socrates being forced to drink the hemlock. If they can secure it properly, I'd be for online voting replacing the hassle of voting booths, but voting on every issue would be a nightmare, with people voting for things with no way to pay for them or giving people the death penalty. At least in Washington state they do voting by mail, so you can sit at home with your ballot, properly research what you're voting on, and just mail it in at your leisure. It's the next best thing to online voting, since nobody wants to tackle that security nightmare.
    edited April 2019

Funny, I just started up a new game of skyrim today. The only problem with going vampire lord is you miss the awesome dwarven crossbow.

So one of the things that scares the hell out of me is the idea of digital democracy, where everyone votes on everything instead of politicians. Don't get me wrong, I think the American politicians are corrupt as hell, on both sides of the aisle. But with the way crap flares up on social media, and the knee jerk reactions so many people have, this would just result in crap like Socrates being forced to drink the hemlock. If they can secure it properly, I'd be for online voting replacing the hassle of voting booths, but voting on every issue would be a nightmare, with people voting for things with no way to pay for them or giving people the death penalty. At least in Washington state they do voting by mail, so you can sit at home with your ballot, properly research what you're voting on, and just mail it in at your leisure. It's the next best thing to online voting, since nobody wants to tackle that security nightmare.

You lose the explosive bolts too... Usually play games to do things that i can't do IRL. I own a 175 lbf crossbow and practice with her IRL is more funny than in video games. IRL i can't conjure an gargoyle, transform myself into mistform, reanimate dead, while levitating and telekinetic levitating people around me. Firearms are another story. IRL they are an better experience, but are expensive to practice.

As for what i've said about generation in VtM, on Skyrim and Elder Scrolls, something similar happens. But at the same way in a completely different way
    Those who receive Vampirism directly from Molag Bal, are much stronger than regular vampires. Considering that your sire is a "pure blood", you are a "second generation", there are no clear indication about how much "generations" takes to vampires loses their most advanced and unique powers of a vampire lord. But the main difference of it compared to VtM is that if an vampire with his vampiric powers very diluted sires you, you still can be "sired again" and gain an more strong vampirism power. Also, if you are an werewolf and acept his gift, he still can transform you into a vampire lord
    ""Yes, I can smell it on you. The power of my blood will purge that filth and make you whole again." " https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lord_Harkon

About "digital democracy", in a city it can work. In a continental country, no way. Switzerland can do a lot of "referendums" because they aren't a big(in size) country and the population is high educated, also, the power is very decentralized. But if you wanna discuss it, i think that is a good thing to debate in the politics topic.

One power that i found epic but will be awful to have IRL is the Geass power from Code Geass. "he Geass manifests differently in each individual, possibly related to their inner desires and personality." https://codegeass.fandom.com/wiki/Geass

Is a power that differs a lot according to the user. But can lead to bad results. I hard to tell without spoiling the series, but some people become crazy with this power. And if you use much, one of the worst possible curses will affect you and even if you are lucky has affinity to a good power, you an lose control and it can lead to awful consequences (spoilers below)
    Immortality. Yes, if you use too much your power, you can take the "place" of the person who give you the power and believe or not, immortality after centuries can become an curse. Also, your power not necessarily can be good. Mao has the power to read minds, but he can't control, so it lead him to become crazy. Another guy can stop the time, but his hearth stop breathing. Even the main guy that has the power to dominate, loses control over his power and forces an Princess to commit an genocide.