Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Hey folks, I've never played SOD. Is it worth downloading and adding to my BG/BGII playthroughs?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Hey folks, I've never played SOD. Is it worth downloading and adding to my BG/BGII playthroughs?

Imo it's too repetitive and has way too much trolls. AI is really improved, and some battles, should you choose to fight them, are quite nice. Personally, I'm thinking about skipping it in the future since I'm bored with it.
    It's not the same game as BG1/BG2 (figuratively speaking) - it's more akin to IWD imo. A lot of combat, story is kinda in the background to hold the plot together, but it's not impressive. Side quests are much better, and new areas are well made.
    And trolls. Too much trolls there. Of all of the possible annoying enemies, devs decided to populate the areas with the buggiest creatures possible.
    On a good side, if you continue from SoD to BG2, you'll start with really hefty XP ammount. Imo it's worth it's price - just don't expect too much.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Semiticgod and myself ran it both blind and noreload. I think if you are familiar with noreload strategies, then there are some surprises but you should be fine.

I have not played it much. I am going through my second run now (due to time limitations mostly and because lately I had started from bg2 rather than bg1).
    I have enjoyed the first time but the story was not overwhelming. The encounters were fine.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @CharlestonianTemplar Another ride with DoF, looks like. Is he a tiefling?
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @CharlestonianTemplar Another ride with DoF, looks like. Is he a tiefling?

Yup, that's my thinking now about the PCs origins. Actually, I was going to try Asimir (sp?) but it didn't seem to work correctly when I selected it, so I went back to Tiefling. I was going to tie the Asimir origin into his relationship w/Tyr, but, oh well.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    The less I play SoD the better I think of it, if that makes any sense. Not having played it the last run or two I'm mildly looking forward to it this time. In particular the option to have higher difficulties without bonus damage may make some of the battles more interesting.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I have added @histamiini's solo LoB+SCS+Ascension run, which tragically ended to a charm effect at the Throne (the save penalty is -5 even for female characters!), to the Honorable Mentions section.
    semiticgod wrote: »

Super feedback. Thank you.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    After doing most of the quests (Other than the thieves' guild ones and going to the Iron Throne) Bladeservant went to the Friendly Arms Inn in search of Pilar who has some boots. So far I have been unable to find him but what I did find was my ammo belt which I appear to have dropped there. I was most surprised that it was still there!

Trying to finish anything to do with the FAI prior to starting the Grey Clan Episode.

There are still some NToSC quests still to do as well.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited April 2019
    I'd like to get all of the tomes if I can. Is there any good way for a Necromancer to survive traps without Mirror Image?
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    edited April 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I'd like to get all of the tomes if I can. Is there any good way for a Necromancer to survive traps without Mirror Image?

The charisma manual at the gnoll fortress doesn't have traps, so you're safe there.

The wisdom manual in Durlag's Tower is protected by a charm spell, so the Greenstone Amulet is needed for that one.

The constitution manual near the Lighthouse is protected by a hold trap and a charm trap on the left, so Eventar's Gift and Greenstone Amulet are the safe bets there. I think one of the ones on the right is a magic missile trap, but I'm not sure what the other one is.

The dexterity manual is safe to get in Baldur's Gate. As is the wisdom manual. The intelligence manual isn't trapped, but there may or may not be some fighting (invisibility).

I don't think the manuals in the Candlekeep Catacombs are protected by any physical damage traps. I believe the strength tome has perhaps multiple magic missile traps and a fireball trap (maybe lightning bolt). On the way to the wisdom manual is a lightning trap, a web trap, and another fireball trap. You should be safe with protection from fire and lightning, and the shield spell (or amulet) may be the safest bet to protect you from magic missiles.