Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited April 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »

When I think about it, SoD is actually the hardest game to beat no-reload in a solo run.

That's why I think I'm going to avoid it with my Necromancer (assuming she makes it that far).
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    Hard luck on that Emotion spell. Siege of Dragonspear has a lot of nasty status effects, but unlike BG2, you're generally not high enough level to cast Chaotic Commands without the use of a scroll, and the Greenstone Amulet only lasts so long.

When I think about it, SoD is actually the hardest game to beat no-reload in a solo run.

It was a dumb play on my part. That fight was completely avoidable and wouldn't have provided me any useful equipment. I also didn't use the Greenstone Amulet, which I should have started with, before using The One Gift Lost. By the time I realized I needed it, my aura was clouded, and there wasn't anything to do but fall down and die.

I should have continued that run, as I want to do some testing at Bridgeport. I have some ideas for mass use of the Nymph Cloak there (and at later zones), but I've already deleted everything.
    semiticgoddess
    jessejmc wrote: »
    Fig Dru, solo fighter/druid, S18/43 D17 C17 I10 W18 Ch15
    Difficulty: core
    Mods: none

Another attempt at a class not represented in the Hall. Started with Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjato ++ and Dagger ++.

Was almost killed in Candlekeep stealing the flamedance ring. Misclicked while forcing the lock before I had knocked the nobleman unconscious. The rest of Candlekeep was finished without issue.

Imoen, Xzar, and Montaron were killed for their equipment before grabbing the diamond and heading south to High Hedge. Shoal was entangled and killed, leveling me to 2/2. Headed to Beregost where I placated Marl and retrieved a book for Firebead. Also purchased a +1 sling and bullets +1 from Thunderhammer.

Quick trip south to Nashkel for the ankheg armor and CLW. Made my first ever attempt at activating the gnolls around Drizzt without stealth. Came in from the trees at the southeast. It wasn't looking good, as the gnolls started to attack me but then moments later switched to Drizzt. His gear was looted.

Headed to High Hedge and killed the flesh golems, leveling to 3/3. Purchased a potion case, potion of mirrored eyes (just in case), and the wand of sleep. Used a couple of charges of the wand of sleep in Beregost to kill the spiders at Landrin's. Turned in Zhurlong's and Mirianne's quests.

Headed to the FAI and grabbed the RoP, Elvenbane, and Evermemory. Tarnesh was more difficult than usual without silence or stealth, but I fortunately saved against horror, and my 3/3 hitpoints helped me survive his magic missiles long enough to put him down. Sold Evermemory and some other things and turned in Landrin's quest.

Killed an ankheg with the wand of sleep on the way to Ulgoth's Beard and hit level 3/4. Purchased the Greenstone Amulet and headed back to Beregost. Killed Algernon for his cloak then turned in the Colquetle's Amulet to get back to reputation 8. Killing Karlat brought me to 4/4, after which I turned in Perdue's quest. Silke was forced to cast magic missile on herself twice, which unfortunately caused me to lose out on her experience.

Neera was killed for her gem bag, and then I headed back to the FAI. Jaheira was charmed and fed to hobgoblins for her invisibility potion. Back to Ulgoth's Beard for Dushai's ring. I raised reputation back at the Temple. Next will be killing the sirines, Mutamin's Garden, reputation quests, and manual gathering.

Wow, brutal! I just stole the companions items while their backs were turned and I'm chaotic evil...
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
    Are there any game-breaking pitfalls to a solo Necromancer trilogy run? I'm just wondering if there's a reason nobody's done it yet...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Hello!

I am really new to the forums... As you can probably see ;) ... I have been playing BG EE on and off for about 2 years now...

I generally play in a hardcore sort of style... But I get carried away when I play solo and end up using console to make everything really cheesy.

I have BG EE 2 but haven't gotten around to playing it as I haven't beat BG EE legit yet (did it once with an extremely broken party).

I think maybe playing multiplayer might help prevent me from cheating... Any ideas?

I am really into this game and it kills me that my perfectionism causes me to do this.

I find that playing solo up to level 4 and then picking up NPCs is the best. That way you level up quickly and the NPCs join at a higher level too. This does mean that you cannot choose where the pips go at level 3, but if that is a problem, it can be solved with EE Keeper (Level 1 NPCs does the same job more easily). If you wait for a while before joining up with Dynaheir she will already have memorised fireball which is a big advantage.

I would always install the BG1 NPC project as it makes the game much more interesting.

The other option is to play it at core difficulty.
    StummvonBordwehrMantis37Blind_Visionary
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Are there any game-breaking pitfalls to a solo Necromancer trilogy run? I'm just wondering if there's a reason nobody's done it yet...

Nothing game-breaking, but over a trilogy no-reload mages vulnerability often shows up. While they're extremely strong when buffed, it's not easy to keep playing safely for that length of time. Maybe you'll show how it's done though :p.
    Wise_GrimwaldBlind_Visionary
    edited April 2019
    Wow, brutal! I just stole the companions items while their backs were turned and I'm chaotic evil...

There are unfortunately some violent murders before Charname gets the blood of Bhaal under control. I'm not particularly consistent with this from run to run. I usually avoid them completely and sometimes accept and kick them from my party. I doubt anyone would call me out on it not being a true solo run to accept, rob, and kick them.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    jessejmc wrote: »

There are unfortunately some violent murders before Charname gets the blood of Bhaal under control. I'm not particularly consistent with this from run to run. I usually avoid them completely and sometimes accept and kick them from my party. I doubt anyone would call me out on it not being a true solo run to accept, rob, and kick them.

You can make your own rules on that, but the only recruitment of NPCs I allow in solo runs is:
    - Caelar when facing Belhifet (I don't control her though in order to emulate how I think the battle should have been designed with her fighting the demon, but not as part of the party).
    - Imoen in the cutscene at the start of BG2.
    That does indeed lead to a fair amount of cold-blooded murder, even by the paladins of this world. >:)
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Those Lightning Bolts! It's so easy for them to end a run, and they move so quickly that it's almost impossible to react to them unless you get an auto-pause when your aura is clear--and even then, most of the time the only potential solution is a Potion of Magic Blocking or Absorption, a charge from Durlag's Goblet, or a Potion of Insulation or Magic Shielding if you have the Boots of Grounding or a lot of HP left. And even then, you might still be deep in the red, and it would only take a little more to bump you off.

A single hit from Davaeorn is just 10d6, but if it bounces the right way, you could get hit by 20-50d6 damage, enough to obliterate almost any character.
    jessejmcWise_GrimwaldlolienBlind_Visionary
    edited April 2019
    Grond0 wrote: »
    That does indeed lead to a fair amount of cold-blooded murder, even by the paladins of this world. >:)

I have actually completed BG1 a number of times without anyone in my party killing anyone. In BG1 killing is a choice unlike BG2.
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0Blind_Visionary
    Those Lightning Bolts! It's so easy for them to end a run, and they move so quickly that it's almost impossible to react to them unless you get an auto-pause when your aura is clear--and even then, most of the time the only potential solution is a Potion of Magic Blocking or Absorption, a charge from Durlag's Goblet, or a Potion of Insulation or Magic Shielding if you have the Boots of Grounding or a lot of HP left. And even then, you might still be deep in the red, and it would only take a little more to bump you off.

A single hit from Davaeorn is just 10d6, but if it bounces the right way, you could get hit by 20-50d6 damage, enough to obliterate almost any character.

However if you charm him with Algernon's Cloak or with dire charm before he goes hostile, the guards that come when you trigger the last trap will kill him for you. I like doing that. It is ironic justice.

(You can do the same to Mulahey after the kobolds have arrived.)
    Unfortunately, my fighter mage died to a horror spell by Tarnesh... one failed saving throw and the run was over...:(. (I was half asleep and just sorta clicking around... I actually had a potion of clarity with me and I should have known the fight was coming. Just a reminder to never play haphazardly when doing no reloads...)
    Edit: This was a really bad idea... died to a Tarnesh again straight out of Candlekeep just because I couldn't use potion of clarity... Any ideas on getting past this?

It sounds like you're playing solo, as Imoen/Xzar/Montaron can distract him and absorb the magic missiles. If you're not using followers, there's really no pressing need to immediately enter the FAI. I usually don't mess with Tarnesh until at least level 3, and even then he can be a bit tricky depending on class.

As stated above, using the guards (he prioritizes Charname in my experience) or invisibility are viable strategies, along with stealth and sanctuary. A level 3 cleric can silence him from outside of visual range. You could probably lure him to the edge of the map and change zones, but I'm not sure if his position resets or not.
    StummvonBordwehrBlind_VisionaryCrevsDaak