Skip to content

Girdle of Masculinity/Femmeninity questions and concerns!

Comments

• ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2012
    I love the joke their implemented in BG2 on this:
    Remember Imoen having a belt equipped in Irenicus Dungeon? Well, now how does this belt look like? Exactly! And it can't be taken off... so in BG it was canon that Imoen equipped that belt without identifying it before...
    ... makes you assume that Imoen is hiding something below her robes at the beginning of the game. :D

... oh boy, the spellhold guards must have been terrified once they found out after trying to "charm" her as said in the cinematic.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

I love the joke their implemented in BG2 on this:
    Remember Imoen having a belt equipped in Irenicus Dungeon? Well, now how does this belt look like? Exactly! And it can't be taken off... so in BG it was canon that Imoen equipped that belt without identifying it before...
    ... makes you assume that Imoen is hiding something below her robes at the beginning of the game. :D

... oh boy, the spellhold guards must have been terrified once they found out after trying to "charm" her as said in the cinematic.

Hahahaha I'm now imagining the opening sequence where Imoen has a really gruff, low voice. Perhaps Irenicus's 'experimentation' with Imoen was less psychopathic scientist and more of a open minded between the sheets hold your breath and let's experiment kinda of way. Maybe the PC and Imoen refer to their losing their souls as losing their innocence, Irenicus deflowered them both! And Château Irenicus is actually a naughty dungeon ... with a load of kinky goblins and Duergar.

*whole perspective now utterly changed*
    *mind blown*

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Mornmagor said:

Mornmagor said:

Angry Kittehh!

Oh relax, as Mortianna said, Jaxsbudgie was joking :p

I don't suppose you're on your per ahem i meant, you don't have take things so seriously :]

P.S. Before you jump at me, i know periods don't affect women like that. It is a joke :p

/Backs away cautiously

Why is if 'funny' I wonder? The best theory I've heard on humor is that it's an aborted threat response. I wonder then what threat there is in an upset woman that you have to infantalize her so. Is it that women can't be angry--that they, like children are slaves of their bodily function and therefore not worthy of serious attention? Are you afraid to take responsibility for your own role in said 'joke' or in the bigger joke we call civilization?
    This is probably a long shot, but do you think there is a chance that, the "theories" you heard about humor don't apply to every case?
    In philosophy the point of a theory is that it applies in every case.

But I'm open to offer possibility that it's wrong. It's remarkably robust however; much more than "superiority", "incongruity".and "social cohesion" but with the important elements of each.

Care to offer an alternative? why are "period"jokes funny?
    It would be helpful if you added details like why smiles look like snarls, include "dirty"and racist humor, why we laugh when a friend falls on a banana peel, but not if he splits his head open. Stuff like that
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    edited October 2012

Why does Jaheira's personality always have to be linked with her periods? As I've said so many times before, not all women get bad moods during their period... Man and this subject... *sigh* Also, @jaxsbudgie: that first suggestion was inappropriate and offending. Let's keep our real life mother out of this, thanks. It's just not funny at all. And on another note, if Aerie would be changed in gender during pregnancy, the baby would probably die in her belly by suffocation, as it wouldn't be able to get out of the belly. Also, do you honestly think a baby can be born through a person's anus? The womb isn't even connected that way, so it's a ridiculous suggestion. Also, Aerie would have to have the still-born removed through surgery on her belly. So, now that all the bloody details are cleared up and I've hopefully made clear such things are not a laughing matter at all, I will stop discussing this subject.

@Kitteh_on_a_cloud Jesus christ. Shut up and lighten up, or stop reading this obviously NOT SERIOUS thread. You're annoying.
  • PhatbassardPhatbassard Member Posts: 7
    One time we were playing a multiplayer ame and I gave the belt to our meat shield. He was pretty upset what it did to his character. So we removed and all was good for the rest BG1. Well we started BG2 and low and behold has character was female again and no remove curse would work. It was a game breaker for him so he left and wouldn't
    Play anymore. Cry baby
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Grammarsalad Blame the British... Toilet humour... It's completely potty. Anyone farts and it's like free giggles all round... Any other bodily function gets the same jizz also... Unless politicians can be prepared to spend a penny and re-educate people (lets face it there slashing spending left, right and center... Whilst still being able to piss most of it up the wall) Then ladies are gonna have to put up with silly jokes when the painters are in...

I would love to be able to bring Edwina into play early on! There's a lady on the rag! She definitely needs some chocolate!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    what would be the BG equivalent of teleporting a baby out of the womb like in Voyager?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Errrm I reckon... Maze the baby out of the Manly Aerie dude. Then get the once pregnant hairy dude, I mean Aerie dude to move out the way, then cast a dispel on the area... Baby should pop back into the real world.

Alternatively cast a Wish and ask the Genie to remove baby.

I reckon a thief with a high lockpick, and disarm trap skill would be able to remove said baby via rectum... Although the danger would be great to all concerned!

Best idea, just take the darn belt off!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Anduin said:

Errrm I reckon... Maze the baby out of the Manly Aerie dude. Then get the once pregnant hairy dude, I mean Aerie dude to move out the way, then cast a dispel on the area... Baby should pop back into the real world.

Alternatively cast a Wish and ask the Genie to remove baby.

I reckon a thief with a high lockpick, and disarm trap skill would be able to remove said baby via rectum... Although the danger would be great to all concerned!

Best idea, just take the darn belt off!

Best idea - don't have sex with Aerie in the first place.

Who said it, I can't remember, regardless. Please release the game before the forum reaches critical mass!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Too late, it's over 9000.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94

Maybe the PC and Imoen refer to their losing their souls as losing their innocence, Irenicus deflowered them both! And Château Irenicus is actually a naughty dungeon ... with a load of kinky goblins and Duergar.

So Irenicus is actually Frank N Furter?

CaptRory said:

LOL if only coitus were accompanied by the successful lockpick noise, my life would be complete.

That's for getting her bra off, right? haha
    Hmm I hadn't thought of that, maybe disarm trap?

@mornmagor

You did some research. That was my part of my intent. The other was to bring the question to consciousness. My hope was that you would feel threatened, do some research to defend yourself and (incidentally) to THINK about it. I hope you continue to do so. the questions don't go away even when I do.

tell me: do you know why you consider "period" jokes funny? could you describe it to an alien that lacks any humor facility?

you can think of it as analogous to language where we seem to follow prescribed rules that we can't articulate. But that doesn't mean we can't learn something about ourselves by discovering those underlying rules and how we internalize them (or if they are instinctual or whatever)

Btw I am proud of your "coming to the rescue" comment. In one sense it is irrelevant (I could be a hypocryte or arrogant and still be right). But that comment does show a refreshing consciousness even considering that it was likely "motivated reasoning" and that you used it to show that I'm making too many assumptions. But again see the language analogy

.(btw, this deniabiliy might be a function of non verbal communication of racist/sexist sentiments in the guise of humor. It might also be a defense mechanism that allows us to disseminate racist/sexist ideas while avoiding the dissonance associated with being a racist/sexist.Even people that don't consider themselves racist still laugh at racist jokes.)

I'm not endorsing superiority theory (you've articulated it pretty well btw). it cant explain, for example, why we laugh when a friend falls on his butt but not when he splits his head open. You see I gave those examples for a reason. Can you see how humor as an aborted threat response can work for this while superiority can't? I bet you can.

But on the other hand can't you see how a brilliant mind like hobbes might have thought humor was ' the glorious realization of ones superiority over "the other"
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2012

Why does Jaheira's personality always have to be linked with her periods? As I've said so many times before, not all women get bad moods during their period... Man and this subject... *sigh* Also, @jaxsbudgie: that first suggestion was inappropriate and offending. Let's keep our real life mother out of this, thanks. It's just not funny at all. And on another note, if Aerie would be changed in gender during pregnancy, the baby would probably die in her belly by suffocation, as it wouldn't be able to get out of the belly. Also, do you honestly think a baby can be born through a person's anus? The womb isn't even connected that way, so it's a ridiculous suggestion. Also, Aerie would have to have the still-born removed through surgery on her belly. So, now that all the bloody details are cleared up and I've hopefully made clear such things are not a laughing matter at all, I will stop discussing this subject.

Seriously? A baby can't be born through any other hole than the womb? You get an insightful for that.

Edit to stay on topic:
    If you put the girdle on Anomen, will he:
    a) start talking badly about himself (my kind isn't capable of such deeds, don't expect me to fight!)
    b) increase whining exponentially (and become best friends with Aerie)
    c) stop regarding women as mostly incapable in general (more of a rhetorical question)

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Cyberhawk

I suddenly have a desire to put said girdle on Anomen next time I romance him AND say all the grumpy lines back.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Actually. There is a widely reported case of a man bearing a child in his abdomen to full term. Was delivered successfully by C-section. Do some research, happened in the 90s I think. Not that long ago. Of course the baby was surgically implanted there, but that's beside the point.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Hey @Grammarsalad how about you leave this forum and join a philosophical forum? You're not any good at that, either, but you'd be closer to being in the right place. You seem to show absolutely zero interest in keeping this thread on-topic. Can that be linked to you having a bad life as a child?
    stygga said:

Actually. There is a widely reported case of a man bearing a child in his abdomen to full term. Was delivered successfully by C-section. Do some research, happened in the 90s I think. Not that long ago. Of course the baby was surgically implanted there, but that's beside the point.

This case is documented in high detail on video, in one Schwarznegger movie. I forget what it was called, everyone knows anyway :P

@Cyberhawk

I suddenly have a desire to put said girdle on Anomen next time I romance him AND say all the grumpy lines back.

Shadowkeeper is your friend :)
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    cyberhawk said:

Seriously? A baby can't be born through any other hole than the womb? You get an insightful for that.

Edit to stay on topic:
    If you put the girdle on Anomen, will he:
    a) start talking badly about himself (my kind isn't capable of such deeds, don't expect me to fight!)
    b) increase whining exponentially (and become best friends with Aerie)
    c) stop regarding women as mostly incapable in general (more of a rhetorical question)

Anomen is so chauvenistic that what you say would totally make sense. Unfortunately the present game doesn't work like that. I put the girdle on Anomen one game to punish him for murdering that family. It didn't seem to change anything other than his appearance. In the end I took all his other items and booted him from the party inside the Copper Coronet.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    This thread is the perfect example on why anyone civil should lose hope in humankind. Claps to you people, truly...
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @ARKdeEREH
    ARKdeEREH said:

Anomen is so chauvenistic that what you say would totally make sense. Unfortunately the present game doesn't work like that. I put the girdle on Anomen one game to punish him for murdering that family. It didn't seem to change anything other than his appearance. In the end I took all his other items and booted him from the party inside the Copper Coronet.

Where did you find a Girdle of Feminity in BG2?

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2012
    Unless scripted for that, the use of the item will not change references or romances, probally you get some lesbian or male gay free romance with the girdle, what make now the 3 new characters bissexual using this tactic.

If CLUAConsoled in BG II, the result will be the same also.

People should check the status of the romanceable characters before enter the party and when inside the party, to see if the game throw to 3 (romance break or impossible) the value of the romance or keep it in 1 (new romances)

Just use CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("CharacterRomanceActive","Global"), Change "Character" with the name of the character you want to ask the console if it's still romanceable or not.

@Syntia13, from an ogre in the field south of Friendly Inn. Just leave by the right exit after gorion's death and in the left/down part of the map you find the ogre, he has a girdle of piercing and the girdle of masculinity/feminility on his corpse.
    Post edited by kamuizin on
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Syntia13 said:

@ARKdeEREH

ARKdeEREH said:

Where did you find a Girdle of Feminity in BG2?

I brought it with me from BG1 and paused at the beginning of the game so I could dump my inventory and thereby prevent Irenicus from stealing it. I originally brought it because I thought it would be fun to try using it on Viconia to see if she would romance my female PC. That was the only time I've played as a female PC so far, I usually play as a male and romance Viconia. I changed my mind though and decided to try something new so romanced Anomen instead, he was considerably more annoying.