Skip to content

Project Infinity - mod manager for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and EET

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @Alonso Regarding you feedback:
    - I've added Supported Games, thanks
    - I've added explanation of BWFixpack, thanks
    - if the description doesn't mention about something, the program doesn't do it
    - almost all of you questions are answered via content of the first post and FAQ
    - if you are newcomer, the world of mods awaits you and after some time, everything will be much clear for you
  • GuldygarGuldygar Member Posts: 18
    ALIEN wrote: »
    • fixed mod Sorting Order feature (regression)
    I just noticed I'm still using 0.5.2. I'm not getting the message to upgrade, and the most recent version on github is 0.4.6 so I can't upgrade there.
    @Guldygar Sorry, 0.5.4 is now deployed.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited April 2019
    if the description doesn't mention about something, the program doesn't do it
    Just to confirm: The only things the description mentions is that this program downloads mods, defines installation orders (don't know what that means) and uninstall mods. So that's what this program does, it doesn't do anything else. Specifically it does NOT:
    • Install mods.
    • Help to find the right installation order for a group of mods.
    • Help with mods conflicts.
    • Reinstall currently installed mods.

Is that correct?
    edited April 2019
    Alonso wrote: »
    if the description doesn't mention about something, the program doesn't do it
    Just to confirm: The only things the description mentions is that this program downloads mods, defines installation orders (don't know what that means) and uninstall mods. So that's what this program does, it doesn't do anything else. Specifically it does NOT:
    • Install mods.
    • Help to find the right installation order for a group of mods.
    • Help with mods conflicts.
    • Reinstall currently installed mods.

Is that correct?
    I've rewrite few lines at the first page: 'define ...' was changed to 'creating you own install order'. The Features list now mention that the PI can install mods. It was pretty oblivious for me but it's not a big deal to write it directly. Reinstallation is possible: save weidu.log, uninstall all mods/restore game from backup, import weidu.log and execute installation. As for "find the right installation order" and "mod conflicts list" - PI doesn't have build-in installation order and conflict list because it would require 24/7 maintainer.
    edited April 2019
    @Raduziel Reading file from Github or Google Spreadsheet/Microsoft Excel Online file is not a problem. Such online file can be copied and used by every player. You could pretty easy create such file for BG1EE and put there something like this:
    DeitiesOfFaerun *
    IHateUndead *

as a startup. But then, what to do next? How to add new mods and keep it up to date?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    My idea is every modder be accountable of their mods.

Just like we need to register a signature to start modding, every time a mod is built we go to that spread sheetand update it. More than our own knowledge about our mods we are the ones who receive feedback from players so this task is easier for us than for you, I suppose.

Of course, lots of things would happen by trial-and-error, but I think that would make the life of every mod user way easier.
    The Features list now mention that the PI can install mods. It was pretty oblivious for me but it's not a big deal to write it directly.
    What is obvious to you might not be obvious to other people. Programs become more useful when you explain what they do, whether it's obvious to you or not. I can help with that if you're interested, my English is quite decent.

About the installation: Can I use PI on a modded installation or do I need a clean vanilla installation to start?
    edited April 2019
    What is obvious to you might not be obvious to other people. Programs become more useful when you explain what they do, whether it's obvious to you or not. I can help with that if you're interested, my English is quite decent.
    Yep, my english is bad. Be my guest, feel free to send corrections regarding first two post/wiki.
    About the installation: Can I use PI on a modded installation or do I need a clean vanilla installation to start?
    Sure, you can use PI with modded installation. But if by doing so, you will endup with Ascension being you last mod, nothing good comes with that. You need to know correct install order for you mods and what you are doing.
    Alonso
    @ALIEN: I have written a quick draft with the information in your first post. I attach it here in Word format to let you have a look. This is just a draft, it's not meant to be published. I'm just posting it to let you know what I'm doing. If you like my approach let me know and I'll keep working on it.
    GusindaALIENRaduziel
    @Alonso I edited first post, many thanks!
    Alonso
    edited April 2019
    ## 0.5.5
    • New Feature: change order of the mods
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • Mr_TMr_T Member Posts: 7
    This is a great tool which will help a lot but there is one odd isssue with it.

It is difficult to get it to run (I use Windows 10 64-bit) and if I try to open it I get error messages with "wrong parameter" or "you do not have authority" even though I use the administrator account.
    To get it to run I had to dowload a fresh copy after rebooting and then without opening it under "Properties" unblock it (Windows seems to block it from running immediately after download).
    After that I also had to in the "Security" tab under advanced diable inheritance by converting the permissions.

I have tried this a few times and even though it is a workaround I can get it to run at least.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Mr_T, welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you have the game installed in the 'Program Files' folder which is a protected area in Windows. It is default path but if you are going to mod the game, it is not the best place for it.

As a test, you could copy (or reinstall) the game and place it in somewhere like C:\Games\BGEE (or even better is to place it on another drive if you have one). Then try running ProjectInfinity again. You can start the game itself using baldur.exe in the new folder.

The other way is to right click on the file and select 'Run as Administrator', not a recommended action by default and wont fix the some other problems that may eventuate by using the Programs Files folder (esp with games).

Gus
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Alien, I didn't forget about you. I'm going to use PI for BWP 19, when it is out ;)

Alas, I'm testing EEWS by roxanne - by the way, would you have appreciated if I had tested PI with the install order extracted by that tool too?
    edited April 2019
    Mr_T wrote: »
    This is a great tool which will help a lot but there is one odd isssue with it.

It is difficult to get it to run (I use Windows 10 64-bit) and if I try to open it I get error messages with "wrong parameter" or "you do not have authority" even though I use the administrator account.
    To get it to run I had to dowload a fresh copy after rebooting and then without opening it under "Properties" unblock it (Windows seems to block it from running immediately after download).
    After that I also had to in the "Security" tab under advanced diable inheritance by converting the permissions.

I have tried this a few times and even though it is a workaround I can get it to run at least.

@Mr_T
    Hi, that's very strange, you are first person who report such errors (can you post screenshots?). Also the fact that you had to mess with default NTFS right indicates that you either had some non-standard configuration or something was messedup.

Trying to download and run PI 0.5.6 or above using clean Windows 10 x64 should:
    - trigger Windows SmartFilter - it's standard windows feature, every executable without valid certificate which was downloaded from internet will be blocked and user needs to explicitly allow it to run once, after that you should no longer receive SmartFilter prompt
    - trigger UAC as it require admin rights for the first time when PI is executed,

after that, there should be no more SmartFilter/UAC prompts.

@Arthas It's up to you which install order you will use but it will be nice to see how it went. Keep all mod installation debug files in case of errors.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    edited April 2019
    • file association will be created only once
    • added separate Settings window
    • added EET and BGT as separate games
    • added "Open game folder" and "Open user data folder"
    • resize and rearrange icons
    FiddlerRaduzielTimbo0o0o0
    edited April 2019
    @ALIEN I managed to find the problem. Somehow the antivirus program thinks your program is a virus and automatically blocks it without telling me. I have added an exception so now it work.

Time to figure out how to get the sorting order to work (by the way, you have misspelt "Cancel" on the settings menu for providing the game locations unless you are referring to the church area).
    @Mr_T Thanks for report, fixed locally.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    • added separate Settings window
    • added EET and BGT as separate games
    • added "Open game folder" and "Open user data folder"
    • resize and rearrange icons

Are EET installs supported now? Been a while since I've looked at this but I vaguely remember they weren't before. Or I'm totally confused.
    Question: if I'm using PI, with the install order provided by BWP, can I select, for every mod, single components instead of having to install mods in their entirety?
    edited May 2019
    @Arthas Ofc you can. BWP doesn't require installing all mods from the list.
    Arthas
    Keep up the good work!

I have found a few confusing issues I hope can be solved:

-The check box for tp2 path and language in mods does not seem to matter if they are checked or not in regards to mod installation. Since mods seems to be able to be installed regardless if those are selected or not, maybe that information can be put with information about the mod in the window to the right instead.

-Is it possible to somehow mark in the master box for a mod and in their collabsible subfolders if you have selected something? It would make it easier to find you have selected something or not.

-When I try to install the mod IWD NPC (only add NPCs) by kulyok Project Infinity freezes on "Appending to files". When I install it with Big World Setup or do a manual install with Weidu it works, it only fails when I try to install it with Project Infinity and since the program freezes no error logs are created either.
    Download and extract all mods into one folder.
    Optional step: extract BWFixpack into the same folder and install it only once.
    Run Project Infinity.
    Select the folder where you extracted all mods.
    What does "Select the folder where you extracted all mods" mean? Where do I select that folder? I've done it with the BG2EE line in the Setting dialog, but nothing happens.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    edited May 2019
    In the last version, it is there: Extracted mods

qyghuajrs7u3.png

Use the settings to select in which folders are installed your games

Alonso
    edited May 2019
    Thanks, @Gwendolyne!

As I was using the program for the first time I updated the documentation. I attach the Word file.

There are some funny things in my list of mods:
    • There are two mods that shouldn't be there: iwdification beta 4 and process_strref.
    • Each mod has a component that reads something like "tp2 path: G:\Games\Baldur's Gate\Mods\PI mods\EEUITweaks". Should I check this?
    • The mods that have language options, like Tweaks, have a component that says "Language: English, Czech, etc." Should I check this?
    • SCS: Three component with funny names:
      • "Checking updates is not possible because mod doesn't have top level directory".
      • "Collect BG2 resources".
      • "Collect IWD resources".
    Manually set the install order via copy & paste or use the "Sorting Order" feature.
    What is the "Sorting Order" feature? The link brings me to an empty page.
    Post edited by Alonso on
    edited May 2019
    @Mr_T
    1. Until I will be able to remove checkboxes selectively, that may be good idea.
    2. That's tri-state treeview, I see if it's possible for my current toolset/technology.
    3. Will check.

@Alonso
    I've once again include most of the things from document, thanks again.
    The links at the first post was fixed, "Sorting Order" feature points to https://github.com/ALIENQuake/ProjectInfinity/wiki/Sorting-Order-feature.
    You don't need to check the "tp2 path" and "language options", I will move this info to the mod info box.

Regarding extra mods: those are correctly detected tp2 files, I cannot filter them without making other sacrifices.

Regarding funny names:
    "Checking updates is not possible because mod doesn't have top level directory" it's a info why checking (or rather updating mod via Delta-updates) is not possible. More explanation will be added later.
    The "Collect BG2 resources" and "Collect IWD resources" are valid components.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Alonso
    edited May 2019
    jastey wrote: »
    Well, it's a mod where the author explicitely stated in the tp2 that this is the personally preferred way so I would only change it for and update if there is a technical reason against keeping it. (What do I care about your computer? :D)

Dealing with this again, are we talking about "IWD NPC" mod and this line
    AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT ~VIEW IWDNPC/Readme-IWDNPC.txt~

?
    If yes, technically it isn't a problem for PI. But the readme won't be displayed and the mod information box won't have clickable link to mods readme. Every old mod which uses AT_* VIEW should switch to this syntax:
    README ~%TP2_BASE_NAME%\%TP2_BASE_NAME%-ReadMe-%LANGUAGE%.txt~ ~%TP2_BASE_NAME%\%TP2_BASE_NAME%-ReadMe.txt~

:smile:

Post edited by ALIEN on
    Raduziel