Skip to content

[mod] Yoshimo Romance

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited March 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
After some time I decided to update Yoshimo Romance. In case you never heard about my rather old project:

Yoshimo Romance is a mod for BG2: SoA & ToB that makes Yoshimo, an infamous bounty hunter from original BG2 game, romanceable.
Already curious, my friend? Are you already pondering what this mod includes? What kind of ToB content? Ah, that's excellent. Your curiosity is already a kind of payback.

Mod includes 16 timered talks with Yoshimo (pre-Brynnlaw) plus those fired under certain circumstances - including talk in Brynnlaw and at the entrance of Spellhold. Those who love reading may also enjoy new dialogues for both male and female players fired by in-game events, PIDs and ToB part.

In this mod you will also find some new talks with Imoen (about Yoshimo), 3 talks with Anomen (romance conflict), 2 new cutscenes, new minor characters connected with the romance plot.

Mod also includes some items, a small and hidden in-game quest, new bam files and music tracks, as well as an area in ToB.

Romance Requirements:

Original romance condition: an elven/half-elven/human/halfling/tiefling female of charisma 13 or higher.
Optional romance condition: removes all conditions, including gender; tokens are additional romance conflicts are included in the mod

To discover post-Brynnlaw content you must have succesfully completed pre-Brynnlaw content.

However note, that this mod DOES NOT change Yoshimo's original plot. His original BG2 story is what shaped the character and I decided that I won't change this. But even though he may not stand arm in arm with the Bhaalspawn later in game, that does not mean there is no post-Spellhold content or ToB content. It is, but developed differently than in most romances,

DOWNLOAD LINK

Enjoy!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
ronaldoThacoBellmegamike15JuliusBorisovAedanFina92MirandelAaeight

Comments

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Always good to see another mod available from you Lava, thanks for all the work you have done so far :smile:
    JuliusBorisov
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    @Dawglicious Heh, it was available for years, I just updated it to make it work better on EE :P But thanks! :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    while i still have not done the romance part of the mod. the talks arounds the city it adds alongside the friendship mod really fleshes out yoshimo and makes what happens to him even more tragic.

so even if you no intrest in romancing him i'd still use this mod for the extra talks it adds alone.
    LavaDelVortel
    Well, that was the point :) The mod is for everyone to enjoy, not just those who want to romance Yoshimo :) It started with a romance, but I wanted it to be more. Also note that this mod is compatible with Yoshimo Friendship mod. It's not with Keeping Yoshimo, though.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited April 2018

Hello @LavaDelVortel , two questions about this mod:

1. My character's charisma is not 13+ by nature, but can the romance still be triggered by the wearing of a stat-boosting item like the Ring of Human Influence?
    2. Will the romance still take effect if the mod is installed mid-game, perhaps even after I've already picked up Yoshi?

Thanks.

EDIT: I see that the mod should at least be installed before meeting Yoshi, as it upgrades his starting weapon.
    Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
    Okay, everyone. I have some news on this front and I would like to ask you all a question. You see, my Yoshimo Romance always had some special place in my heart (aka the black void). So I've been secretly working on a huge update. Right now it includes:

-Updated and enhanced all existing talks
    -Updated all scripts to make them work fine with the text update
    -Updated gender specific elements to use tokens to make requirements deactivation work smoother
    -Added an option to deactivate romance requirements
    -Added new romance conflicts / banters
    -Added handle_charset for future translations
    -Deleted minor character portraits
    -Updated WeiDU

As you can see, it's not a small thing. Also, this update opens the romance path to all possible CHARNAMEs (but sice it may affect the perception of the NPC and the original talks weren't created with that option in mynd, it is optional - you may choose to follow old restrictions). Yes, you may romance him as a dwarven lady. Or a male monk. Or a half-orc barbarian-girl with low charisma. It's all up to you.

Anyway, to make it all happen, I also had to update talks, use more tokens and... I've also decided to make the talks better in terms of their content. However, the mod needs to be proofread again. While I handle that, talk to some people -- what should happen? Do you want to get the pre-checked 5.0 with all that changes and test it? Or do you want to see working version, but without proofreading? As many of you may have noticed, I am a bit less active now and + proofreading always takes time, so I have no idea when the newly proofread version would become available. Keeping that in mind, what would you rather make me do? Make it available as pre-5.0 or release it in it's final version (possibly not soon)?
    ThacoBellAedanMirandelFina92
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As much as I love this mod, I don't really have a preference either way.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Hi Lava, considering keeping yoshimo mod looks unusable now, would it be too much to ask you for an optional component that allows keeping yoshimo in the party during whole of bg2 and tob? It's fine if your plans don't include it, just wanted to ask
    @ThacoBell - well, ok then. We'll see if anyone has anything to say. The problem is that when it comes to the option with waiting... it's kinda unpredictable. It may be 3 weeks and it may be 3 months. Or 4. Not only I have to confirm that he's still interested in helping, but proofreading 250 kb of text may take a moment...

@Ludwig_II - I would rather call it rude than "too much". I offer here a mod that adds a romance for the time he's in party and after it, until the ToB while not changing his fate. Instead I add content using different characters and events. What you ask me to do - after me saying I corrected all dialogues - is that you'd like me to add something that is completelly incompatible with everything I worked on for the last 3 months. It's ike someone gave you a free game because he/she likes you and then you say "it's all great, but can't you give me a different gift? You can add it to this one!" So... no. I won't be adding anything like that. In times like that I wonder why I do anything at all.
    ThacoBell
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Oh really sorry about that, that wasn't my intention at all. As I haven't used this mod, I wasn't aware of the extent of this mod, like the vast amount of changes you've made to the content and such. But I use some of your other mods in my playthroughs and I like them a lot. I really appreciate your efforts and the value you bring to the community.

Please disregard my previous message, feel bad about writing it now. Sorry again for my rudeness.
    ThacoBell
    It's ok. I may be a bit mad, but mostly because you asked about exact opposite content to the one I offer here. Yoshimo Romance adds friendship and romance talks with Yoshimo for the time he's in the team, but later you get extra talsk with Imoen, Anomen, other characters and encounters. Same goes for Tob. There you also may meet someone Yoshimo knew, you get special dreams, more Imoen talks... there's a lot of content and all of that is incompatible with the idea of keeping Yoshimo.

I may tell you that once I wanted to add a mod that would bring his ghost back in ToB so he could get redemption, but that would be still different to Keeping Yoshimo and would probably be incompatible with it, as well as with the romance.

Anyway, we're fine.
    Ludwig_IIThacoBellMirandel
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Since I always take Yoshino along, I'm going to download it for the extra dialogues , and because I like your mods @LavaDelVortel .
    Sure, thanks! The thing is that I still am not sure if I should make 5.0 available before it's proofread, heh. I will need to think about it a bit more, as there are no clear votes on that.
    DJKajuru
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @LavaDelVortel To explain my feelings better, basically, I'm happy as long as I can play this wonderful (yet evil) mod.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i personally feel yoshimo should stay a female exclusive romance. he does not scream bi to me.
    edited November 2018
    @megamike15 - Oh, that is only an option. You may keep the original conditions. It is an option and it's simply what for example Tweaks Anthology has (No gender requirements / No racial requirements) implemented into the mod. Players will also get a note that the mod was written with female-male romance in mind - I felt it's apropriate as indeed that part may be too much for some. Still, some people may want to check the romance, see what it offers and I don't want to force 3 different conditions (gender, statistics and race) only to check it. I did not implement this as in the main component, no worries. It's more like an optional cheat.
    megamike15Aedan
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Some evil options would be highly appreciated. Even manipulative one, if possible.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

Okay, everyone. I have some news on this front and I would like to ask you all a question. You see, my Yoshimo Romance always had some special place in my heart (aka the black void). So I've been secretly working on a huge update. Right now it includes:

-Updated gender specific elements to use tokens to make requirements deactivation work smoother
    -Updated WeiDU

As you can see, it's not a small thing. Also, this update opens the romance path to all possible CHARNAMEs (but sice it may affect the perception of the NPC and the original talks weren't created with that option in mynd, it is optional - you may choose to follow old restrictions). Yes, you may romance him as a dwarven lady. Or a male monk. Or a half-orc barbarian-girl with low charisma. It's all up to you.

Anyway, to make it all happen, I also had to update talks, use more tokens and... I've also decided to make the talks better in terms of their content. However, the mod needs to be proofread again. While I handle that, talk to some people -- what should happen? Do you want to get the pre-checked 5.0 with all that changes and test it? Or do you want to see working version, but without proofreading? As many of you may have noticed, I am a bit less active now and + proofreading always takes time, so I have no idea when the newly proofread version would become available. Keeping that in mind, what would you rather make me do? Make it available as pre-5.0 or release it in it's final version (possibly not soon)?
    Knowing you, how thorough you are, I do not thing there are THAT many typos to make not-proofread version unplayable. And since Yoshimo romance is among "must have" mods for me, I would rather have a working non=proofread mod sooner. But no pressure! If perfectionist in you can only allow completely polished mods out - so be it!

One question, though: "-Deleted minor character portraits" - why? You sure had your reasons, but deletion is deletion, raises questions :)
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks for more opinions and thoughts!

The deleted portraits thing: some portraits (like Yoshimo alts) I was allowed to use. I want to minimalize instances where I use portraits of unknown artists / portraits founds "somewhere". To make it more fair, I've decided to delete portraits of minor characters (mostly characters from dreams CHARNAME has in ToB). Also, I changed my mind on the matter: long time ago, I wanted everyone to have a portrait. These days I think it may be a bit immersion-breaking, because same portraits might have been seen on other websites. Also, original game use portraits to say "this character is important", rather than give every minor character a face. It may give a wrong impression of character's significance :)

Still no news from someone who was to help with the text. If that continues, I may do as Mirandel says. Let's just wait a bit longer so I was sure that's the right thing to do. Meanwhile, I am testing the changes a bit. I also lowered the music volume a bit, as it was louder than the in-game music.
    Mirandel
    I just added 5.0 here, in the thread! The changes:

-Lowered songs volume to make them match the original tracks
    -Updated WeiDU

The new version still needs proofreading! If you see any typos, wrong grammar etc, just report it here. As I mentioned before, from this version up you may decide to skip original romance conditions and romance Yoshimo while playing any Bhaalspawn. To make it work even better, all gender specific lines were slightly rewritten to use tokens. More romance conficts were added too (same sex conficts and EE romance conflicts for both genders). As I said, erased romance conditions is an additional component. You may still install the original conditions and enjoy all the enhancements along with the old romance requirements.
    ThacoBellmegamike15MirandelFina92
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I made but a quick scan concerning the changes.

I still think that this:

IF~~THEN BEGIN YoRo03x08
    SAY @108 /* I must admit, my friend, there is a certain delight I would indulge myself with. A peach in honey and ginger. They are delicacies in my homeland. A true marvel for a tongue! */
    IF~Global("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",0)~THEN REPLY @109 /* You’re making me hungry, Yoshimo! It must be quite a treat! */GOTO YoRo03x09
    IF~~THEN REPLY @110 /* Bleh, that sounds disgusting! I don’t think I’d be able to try rice wine or that... sweet thing you mentioned. */DO ~SetGlobal("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO YoRo03x10
    IF~Global("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",0)~THEN REPLY @111 /* Hmm, perhaps I might give is a try one day. They don’t sound too bad, compared to some of the other things I’ve eaten, heh. */DO ~SetGlobal("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO YoRo03x09
    IF~~THEN REPLY @112 /* Stop babbling, for Bhaal's sake! */GOTO YoRo03x03
    END

should be this (in YoRo03x09 he is talking about his siblings):
    IF~~THEN BEGIN YoRo03x08
    SAY @108 /* I must admit, my friend, there is a certain delight I would indulge myself with. A peach in honey and ginger. They are delicacies in my homeland. A true marvel for a tongue! */
    IF~Global("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",0)~THEN REPLY @109 /* You’re making me hungry, Yoshimo! It must be quite a treat! */ DO ~SetGlobal("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO YoRo03x09
    IF~~THEN REPLY @110 /* Bleh, that sounds disgusting! I don’t think I’d be able to try rice wine or that... sweet thing you mentioned. */DO ~SetGlobal("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO YoRo03x10
    IF~Global("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",0)~THEN REPLY @111 /* Hmm, perhaps I might give is a try one day. They don’t sound too bad, compared to some of the other things I’ve eaten, heh. */DO ~SetGlobal("YoshimoFamily","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO YoRo03x09
    IF~~THEN REPLY @112 /* Stop babbling, for Bhaal's sake! */GOTO YoRo03x03
    END
    LavaDelVortel
    Right, I may have forgot about this. Will change in next version, hopefully with some spotted typos etc. You may like how many lines have changed, Jastey.
    edited December 2018
    New version is up - fixed the mistake mentioned by @jastey and added new portrait adjustment I made as an optional portrait:

Version 5.1 is up.

Portrait comparison can be found here.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    ThacoBellMirandel
    Should I use this mod with Yoshimo friendship?
    The mod was written the way you may actually use both projects and nothing bad should happen, so... sure.
    Thanks. question: how much of the content will I see if I don't romance him?

Beside, he appeared in my epilogues even if I didn't have him with me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Is there a walkthrough somewhere for this mod? I haven't encountered any post-Brynnlaw content and would like to figure out what I did wrong :neutral:
    I may need more information. First of all, are you sure you reached the point where you and Yoshimo were close enough before leaving to Spellhold. Next thing is:
    You need to pick up his heart after the fight in Spellhold so a special event happens with his heart
    Also I wonder if you joined Imoen - some of the post-Brynnlaw content is introduced through her: new reomance-related talks. She would ask you about Yoshimo and what exactly happened.
    Then, next part would be a special encounter once you're back in Athkatla: you should be approached by a boy and you should get something.
    And there is a final enounter in SoA:
    you meet Yoshimo once again - in Hell

Simillar things happen in ToB - not directly through Yoshimo, but through other characters, dreams, encounters.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    @LavaDelVortel Ah, so perhaps I was not close enough with him before leaving to Spellhold, I fulfilled the other requirements you mention. I still had the flirts and all before Spellhold, but any advances I made was always shut down by him so I just figured there was another love-talk happening or some event that would further the romance. I tried to respond to the LTs in-character, so I may very well have responded "wrong" at some point. It never felt as if I had disrupted the romance though... Hmm.

Anything specific that is supposed to happen before leaving to Spellhold?