Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @ashafetov and @lolien
    What weapons are you two bringing on the trip?
    Is there any other gear you would like to pack?
    Thanks in advance!
    lolienRik_Kirtaniya
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Lagrord is sddenly very self conscious and not sure what to do. He had learned early on that speaking in public was liable to get him beat. (BUt not by Colden, goodness no). All he can think to do is give another bow*
    mashedtatersSkatanlolienRik_Kirtaniya
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited May 2019
    Hurriedly nodding in response to the guard's salute, Nareth left the barracks. He wanted to give instructions to his deputies in the garrison, but Gressick had already fully taken the responsibility and all control. At that moment, Nareth felt himself unnecessary and headed even more decisively towards the stables. He wanted to prepare saddle bags for shipment and check his horse as well. The groom should have prepared the animal for departure already.

Soon the arrangements were completed and Nareth entered the armory fully equipped for embark. He saw Colden, Lagrord and Sus'Ann and bowed politely. The sergeant moves closer, listening to the conversation and, as usual, awaiting orders.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    SkatanThacoBellmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited May 2019
    "YOU HAVE GATHERED YOUR PARTY. YOU MUST NOW VENTURE FORTH."
    Oh man, I'll have to catch up with the story fast before you all set out.
    ashafetovSkatanmashedtaters
    edited May 2019
    Out of habit, Nareth crosses his arms on the chest and shakes his head approvingly. Obviously, he was not used to discussing orders, even if they come from foolish rulers or commanders.

" M'Lady Sus'Ann, if I may... " - he bows - " That's being said: our King himself entrusted us with this important mission. And M'Lord Colden is his confidant. Personally, this is enough for me, I says. I saw missions with even smaller brief than this one. The teachings of your Order demands humility and the questioning and hesitation are the greatest enemies of the Refiner, may his Name be blessed. " - he raises his eyes above for a short while and stares again at Sus'Ann.
    SkatanmashedtatersThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    edited May 2019
    Nareth nods to Jirt, while to listen to Garta's speech. Obviously, her pagan superstitions do not bother him at all and captain remains calm. He them finish their quarrel and says:

" Greetings! This is a great luck for us and definitely a good sign! I am sure, Jirt is able to combat all the bad omens of ye kind, Garta, with his sharp and long tongue, aye Jirt? " - answers he the soldier's question and smiles into his beard - " Me myself don't like much to be a packed mule, so ye pagan signs better be true. " - He gets off his horse and comes closer.

" Any other advices? Ya can always enlighten us with ye tribal wisdom, I says. " - asks Nareth Garta, gazing at the horizon. The storm casted unpleasant memories, and the old scars began to ache from the cold again. Nareth winced irritably.
    mashedtatersSkatanThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    *Lagrord can only smile and shake his head at Colden. No matter what happens, he knows everthing will work out okay as long as Colden is around*

"As you say, Master Cramnoch."
    ashafetovmashedtaterslolienRik_Kirtaniya
    Nareth throws hi saddlebags over his back and looks expectantly at Jirt. He looks irritated. Despite the habit of obeying orders, which were often made by foolish people, he still could not accept the necessity to listen to a woman. He considered himself undoubtedly an astute person, but still remained reserved and full of prejustices.

He spoke to Colden, catching up with him and Lagrord.
    " M'lord Colden! Forgive me. I do not want to discuss orders at such a crucial moment, but are ya sure that she should be trusted? Isn't she with the BloodEyeses ? This is a bold assumption, but leaving the horses ... This is contrary to any tactics! "
    mashedtatersThacoBelllolienRik_Kirtaniya
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden adjusts his pace to allow Nareth to catch up and looks at him.

"Sure? Am I sure the sun will rise tomorrow? Am I sure that winter won't fall on us in the very next day and remain for a hundred years? Am I sure that a good sip of dwarven ale will quench my thirst? No, I'm not sure of any of it, but damn me if I won't give it a try! And the latter, I'll try threefold just to be sure.. hehe.. " Colden chuckles again, already missing the comfort of his abode and his hearth, of warm ale and fresh bread. "Tactics are but experiences tried that worked. We are doing something new, something previously not tried, thus we do it in a new way. I will keep records of this choice, this experience. And who knows, in a year or two after we've succeeded, perhaps this will be the new tactic? Do me this favor, Nareth. You know full well how to poke your spear at a throng of hungry peasants, but listen to the lass and learn from her. I sense she has much knowledge of which we don't. And what a fine lass she is.. " The last part is said more to himself, in a hushed voice.
    mashedtatersashafetovThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    As he walks, deep in thoughts, Colden starts to write an Ode to Garta..

Proud as few, she lights my heart anew.
    Fierce and bold, she has my heart in a firm hold.
    Powerful and proud, my heart sings so loud!
    For the mighty Garta, my glorious warrior mate
    I would pass through Hell's gate
    and sell my soul for but one date.

Ahem, maybe not my best work.. ah well, it was a hasty one.
    mashedtatersThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    Nareth bluntly interrupts Colden's thoughts chasing Garta with his sight:
    " Master Colden ... I dare not object, but if ya are not sure of anything other than sunrise or a sip of ale, may the Refiner bless us all, which I also do; then this is certainly not a reason to blindly listen to those who originated from wilderness. I don’t dare to argue, but ya are probably stayed in the castle for a far too long time with ye books. Just like me, however. "

He turns around, looking for moral support from Jirt and Kefto. He continues:

" It's not a tactical decision. I says, if ya order me, you would obey and silently give ya me horse... Hells! Yes, I would give the ya last piece of me bread just to fulfill ye order. Forgive me, but I cannot blindly observe, how do ya fulfill any requests from the first oncoming raider. "- Nareth sniffs contemptuously.

Why don't ask her if we need to take our weapons. It might be so, that to wield weapons is a bad omen too, that will surely infuriate the spirits, aye? " - he says the last sentence louder so Garta could hear him. He does, however, follow Colden his in a marching manner, with the shield on his back, leaning on a spear and carrying saddle bags in the second hand. Apparently tangible effort does not require.
    mashedtatersThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    edited May 2019
    The dust swirls around your lighted torches as you walk the faint traces of the road, heading into the darkness. Nareth's last objection cuts through the breeze and faint rumble of the brewing storm.

Garta continues to lead as though she didn't hear Nareth behind her. She lifts her chin, though her footsteps become stomps and she grips the flickering torch more fiercely.

"I think you're right, captain Nareth," says Kefto seriously. "I don't understand why we are following this woman. Why couldn't we just get directions and bring Master Cramnoch ourselves?"

"Because the Princess is a muddy, idiot," says Jirt, rolling his eyes. "We're going to find the Bloodeye Clan, though I'd rather stick my sword into their leader's guts as parley with him."

The perimeter walls of the inner town loom over you in the blackness as you approach. The few guards left on duty, mostly retired veterans, salute wordlessly as they open the gates for you.

On either side of the road leading into the darkness lies the farmlands that feed Astorwind. The shadows from your torches cast long distorted shapes of late summer goods lying in the field, ripe for picking. The homes are still lit as their inhabitants eat their supper, fruits of their year-long labor.

"I agree with the Captain, though," says Jirt, continuing the conversation once you are beyond the walls. "If our weapons infuriate the spirits, the 'spirits' may be little surprised at how infuriated I can be."
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    Lagrord thinks to himself:
    *Of course, we must insult those who are to help us. They are different, they must be inferior. But how can Garta speak so freely on her own? WIthout Colden to shield me, I would have been dead for less.*

ashafetovSkatanmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniya
    Colden smiles as he listens to the superstitious soldiers bickering like typical humans. Most of them have never had to face the struggles of xenophobia or being part of a minority. He would pity them if he could, but his empathy only goes so far and too many years working for humans have made him a bit jaded. His smile has no warmth, it's the kind of smile he wears like he wears a fine cloak or a dashing hat, a well chosen piece of garment added for its features, not a genuine part of himself. Though few would ever see it for anything other than true and genuine.

"Men. We've left Astorwind behind us and are now relying on ourselves.. and the Refiner. We have a mission, a task, and I am the task master. Even if you do not trust Garta, trust in me and my judgement. King Corak chose me, Gressick chose Garta, and you were chosen to support, and support you will. " Colden gives his well-oiled, reassuring smile and looks them all in their eyes, one after another, trying to project his confidence into them by mere force of mind.

"Maybe a song or two, while we are still in friendly neighbourhoods, to lift the spirits and say our goodbyes to fair Astorwind?" He doesn't wait for any replies, instead pick up his flute and plays one of his signature songs, a tune he composed for King Corak many years ago. He knows its a favorite of many old soldiers, it's part nostalgic and part uplifting. In between the tunes, he sings while he taps the flute on his axe head to keep the beat.
    ThacoBellashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    *Lagrord always revelled in Colden's songs and his spirits were lifted, having been incredibly nervous at leaving the city. Lagrord cannot even remember the last time he slept outside the castle.*

*But Garta's song was different. It was alien, but hinted a greater things than he had ever known. He knew none of the words, but to him, the song felt like freedom, unrestrained. He dearly wished the trip would give him the chance to speak to Garta*
    mashedtatersashafetovSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    Haha, is it a Flute or a lute @mashedtaters !? :D Ah well, let's just assume Colden have one of each, one flute and one lute being a bard and all.
    ashafetovlolienRik_Kirtaniya
    @Skatan
    Oops...
    Sorry.
    ashafetovSkatanlolienRik_Kirtaniya