Skip to content

Where does the WeiDU language come from?

2»

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Plus, Near Infinity had a better name.

I know right? I was actually put off from trying DLTCEP for a while simply because I assumed it was maybe an editor for some other video game that takes place in the Dragonlance setting.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @OlvynChuru Thanks :)

I usually forgot that NI has this awesome search function.
    OlvynChuru
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I never knew G3 started out as the Delainy forums! That's a delicious piece of irony considering it's one of the few mods which were truly abandoned for good there. It's like it died a martyr's death to enable so many others to flourish. :D
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    What @ALIEN said. From the financial point of view, which is paramount, of course, releasing the source code would most likely increase the profits of Beamdog. I don't see it having any impact at all on piracy, piracy is there already and it ain't gonna change much. But the injection of new life into the modding community could easily lead to yet another revival of the franchise.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited May 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Releasing the source code would enable unrestricted piracy and therefore deal a crippling blow to profits that a small company like Beamdog could not survive. It would put the company in serious financial jeopardy. Definitely never going to happen.
    Considering it's already been DRM-free for god knows how long, I'm not sure piracy is really a factor to think about.

PS Just in case, don't look at me if you want the source. My opinion on the matter is no more decisive than any other modder's.
    AlonsoCrevsDaak
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Azazello just found the thread I was referring to earlier: The really old days: Snippets of modding history
    AlonsoAndreaColombo
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    So I guessed correctly then :)
    Ardanis wrote: »
    jastey wrote: »
    jcompton posted reviews of this time but I can't seem to find the posts, what a shame.
    These perhaps? http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,25460.0.html
    AndreaColombo
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Ardanis I missed that part of your post! Thank you for linking to the topic first.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited July 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @Raduziel
    Raduziel wrote: »
    My main issue with NI is that it doesn't display the name of things, just the code. So if I want to mod Belhifet I can't look for Belhifet's name.

The good news is, this can indeed be done in NearInfinity. Click "Search" at the top, and then click "CRE/ITM/SPL/STO" in the list. It gets you to a screen where you can search for creatures, items and spells by name.
    Or, even more convenient, just press Ctrl+F.
    Raduziel
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Is the source code even available? I thought Beamdog didn't have access to most of the original files.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    The source art assets were lost but the source code is available in its entirety (except of course that if IWDII.)
    JuliusBorisovlolien