Skip to content

Baldurs Gate 2 EE - Bug with Ranger Protector Quest

Hello everyone. I just finished rescuing Haer'dalis and decided to do a gear drop at my Ranger house in the Umar Hills. Well, I get there and the doors are barred - turns out I missed an orc quest at somepoint. I never got the notification for the timed quest, unfortunately. I've gone through the console to reset the quest and to have the kid that notifies the party of the quest actually show up, but when I accept the quest and go to talk to the mayor, he won't talk to my main character (as in no response whatsover - not even a dialogue). Any of the other characters in my party can initiate dialogue with him, but he just responds that he should really talk about the orcs with my main character.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I had the exact same issue happen to me and fixed it the exact same way. It's a known bug(by me at least, not sure if Beamdog acknowledges it).

It happened to me because in between ranger quests, I went to Planar Sphere and spent a few days there. So the kid couldn't spawn at the exact time next to me, and when I came back the quest had already failed.

So the solution: Beamdog will need to start actually working on bugs again, and releasing patches more frequently.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    edited May 2019
    This bug has been around forever. I don’t think it’s an easy fix. It’s the same for any of the stronghold quests with a timer - if you miss the messenger (maybe due to him spawning as you transition areas or just plain not spawning in some places) then you will run out of time for the quest and have no way of knowing.

Maybe try and think of it not as a bug but instead as a realistic feature? Because if you promise to protect the village but half of them get killed by Orcs then the survivors probably won’t like you much.

Claiming you didn’t know because the messenger was eaten by an ankheg probably won’t get you very far.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    RP wise is sound that you have to run and save the village, as you are their ranger protector.
    But any situation that cause the messenger to not spawn or to be missed is surely a bug, if really there is the chance it happens.

afaik messenger spawning and similar situations should not happen in areas marked as dungeon, and both the planar sphere and prison are dungeons, as well as the whole underdark, to prevent similar situations.
    The messenger should have spawned when you exit the dungeon and you enter a not dungeon area.
    I am not sure if there is a bug so it does not happen or maybe the party change area too fast so the messenger has not a chance to meet them, very easy if a console command or boots of speed for all the party or an haste spell are used, among those 3 only the last one is a legittimate behavior, unless the party is very small so there are legit boots for all the members.

It never happened to me, but i lost one time the unseeing eye quest, one of the few others timed, as i delayed too long to reach the priest in the temple. In that case it was completely my fault, even if the game behavior is confusing, on most of the quests, like the one from Nalia, that RP should have urgency, there is no timer, on few others there is a timer and not in all them it has clear RP reasons, for the ranger quest there is a reason, for the unseeing eye one probably not.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    This bug happened to me too, and I dug up an old thread on the forums about how to fix it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29593/ranger-stronghold-quest-2-delon-never-showed-up-to-warn-me-and-now-the-townspeople-hate-me

The solution posted at the end of that thread worked for me, however, attempting to talk to Minister Lloyd after first returning to Imnesvale results in nothing happening because the "RangerProtector" global variable is set to the incorrect value. What you need to do after making Delon spawn correctly is go back to Imnesvale, then change the "RangerProtector" variable to "2", after which Lloyd will speak correctly and trigger the proper chain of events for you to kill the ogrons and then return to Lloyd for your XP reward.
  • Maverick3320Maverick3320 Member Posts: 2
    Just an update on this: Gate70 helped edit a savegame file, and gave me the instructions to fix the problem. Huge shout out to Gate70! Thanks to everyone else who helped with info.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Gate70 deserves every praise he gets!
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2019
    On a related note, I seem to have either missed Delon again (or perhaps my workaround solution posted above didn't set the next set of variables correctly) but it's been quite some time now and Delon hasn't reappeared to give me the next (and final) stage of the Ranger stronghold quest regarding the return of the Umar Witch. Would anyone have any advice on how to get the elusive little munchkin to spawn properly?

EDIT: So after reloading to an earlier save and repeatedly travelling to and from Imnesvale, while I still couldn't seem to get Delon to spawn, I did manage to catch the Umar Witch phase of the quest while it was still active. Thankfully, unlike the earlier Ogron assault, it seems that you don't need to have talked to Delon for the Umar Witch quest variables to be set properly to allow you to proceed.
    Post edited by Zaxares on