Skip to content

Was Larian the right choice?

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Is there any reason to suspect that modders and stadia players will significantly overlap?
    Not anymore, that's for sure. :p

@ThacoBell According to GOG, BGIII will actually be RT. Which I personally do feel lot more compelling than the alternative. Still, we have no idea if it will be RTwP or more action based a' la RTw(ithout)P.

It HAS to feel like Baldur's Gate. If its not Rtwp, then its not Baldur's Gate, not when its being marketed as a sequel. I have little interest in most action rpgs anyway.

this is tides of numenera all over again. people expected rtwp with that game as planescape played like that. then inexlie put it up to a vote and tb won.

i'm hearing things that the game is gonnna be real time because larian wanted to make divinity 3 [ divinity 2 was real time combat] but can't due to their orginal sin games being popular. so there gonnna take baldurs gate ans turn it into a real time action rpg.

kanisatha
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i'm hearing things that the game is gonnna be real time because larian wanted to make divinity 3 [ divinity 2 was real time combat] but can't due to their orginal sin games being popular. so there gonnna take baldurs gate ans turn it into a real time action rpg.

I so hope you are right.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    That wouldn't stop Larian from doing what they wanted. Sven's passion is that Ultima VII interactivity, there's no way he's gonna sign up to go down as the man who turned Baldur's Gate into a shallow action game. Even his ancient riff on Diablo jammed in way more interactivity and RPG-ness.
    megamike15Quartz
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Larian has proved themselves with absolutely stellar titles over the years, they deserve this and will absolutely overdeliver. I have no doubt they'll have me imprisoned in my computer chair for months, the dastardly knaves.
    SkipBittmanQuartz
    That wouldn't stop Larian from doing what they wanted. Sven's passion is that Ultima VII interactivity, there's no way he's gonna sign up to go down as the man who turned Baldur's Gate into a shallow action game. Even his ancient riff on Diablo jammed in way more interactivity and RPG-ness.

yeah from what i saw of divine divinty the only thing it has in common with diablo is the combat. everything else is a normal crpg. may as well call it a top down elder scrolls.
    Quartz
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    “we’re not afraid of culling a whole bunch of content based on decisions you make. It’s the only way you can have decision making that feels real as you have to have stuff that can go away.”

Quoted from the interview, this already shows they understand decisions and consequences better than Beamdog did producing SOD. For me this is a big deal, and I'm happy that it is done by a company that understands this is more important than forcing whole your content to the player in one playthrough.
    Dog_eat_DogQuartz
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    Some of the comments written here really blow my mind. Just to make it clear, some of you not knowing about Larian or not playing their games before does not make Larian a worse company than any others. Nor does it make them an unsuitable company for BG3. Some folks here really think the whole world revolves around them

Edit: To clarify, of course you don't have to like anything about Larian. But saying 'I don't know them thus they are unsuitable for BG3', to say it politely, does not make any sense

Well said, sir. I have to say it's not just "I haven't heard of Larian!" but so many of the complaints I've read on here read like a really immature understanding of the world. So much complaining about not getting exactly what you wanted with the announcement.

It's also doubly weird to sit on an internet forum and take the time to type out the words "I don't them!"

There's a way you can find out about them!
    Dog_eat_DogQuartz
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    A better idea for those who still want IE if BG3 isn't using that system... create a brand new adventure using it unrelated to BG. Since Beamdog likes doing remakes, maybe make some of those old Dos games into Infinity Engine adventures? You want old school? This is ancient school!
    Sjerrie
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Ludwig_II "Some of the comments written here really blow my mind. Just to make it clear, some of you not knowing about Larian or not playing their games before does not make Larian a worse company than any others. Nor does it make them an unsuitable company for BG3. Some folks here really think the whole world revolves around them"

Lots of strawmen around the forums lately. Its PERFECTLY REASONABLE for someone who doesn't know Larian to not automatically be convinced they are the right company to make a BG3. Because we don't know them. There is nothing intellectually dishonest senseless about it.

Just because you like Larian, doesn't mean that we also do or should. Geez, some people think the world revolves around them. (See, it works both ways.) Maybe instead of insulting people, you could maybe explain why you think Larian are a good choice?
    kanisathasemiticgoddessMonoCanalla
    @lefreut Being uncertain, or not being convinced they are the right choice IS pretty neutral.
    [Deleted User]kanisatha
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @lefreut Being uncertain, or not being convinced they are the right choice IS pretty neutral.

Careful there, you're starting to talk like an athiest. :p
    KamigoroshiThacoBellQuartz
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    BillyYank wrote: »

Careful there, you're starting to talk like an athiest. :p

Speaking of, @ThacoBell is that the flying spaghetti monster as your avatar now?
    ThacoBellQuartz
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @ThacoBell The explanation has been provided many times here:

- they created 2 critically acclaimed rpgs
    - these rpgs sold well
    - the folks at Larian are DnD nerds
    Dog_eat_DogDinoDinLudwig_IIQuartz
    @DrHappyAngry Its a Flumph! :)

@JuliusBorisov I haven't played them, so that doesn't really mean anything to me. Them being acclaimed doesn't mean I would enjoy them. From what I hear, a lot of people on the forum HAVE played them, and hated them. Again, I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE LARIAN. Me being skeptical is perfectly reasonable.
    [Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    You or others might like them or not. You or others might have played their games or not. You asked why they were chosen- I provided a list that still stands, because those are universal reasons, not personal.

Personally, I will never stop recommending giving them a chance.
    ThacoBellDog_eat_DogDinoDinQuartz
    But why does having 2 well recieved games that are so different from BG, make them a good choice for BG3? I can say that Blizzard made several well reicieved RTS titles. That doesn't mean they would be right for BG3. Why is Larian set apart? What makes them uniquely qualified?
    Thac0 - you won't believe me, most likely. But playing DOS I actually felt it had something in common with BG2. There are a few gaming sites, including IGN, who claimed the same.

I enjoy the hell out of those games, the feeling I last felt in DAO if we mention party rpgs.

Apparently, WotC agreed in 2017 that company could be worthy of such a title.
    DrHappyAngryDog_eat_DogBaptorQuartz
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The sales of D:OS (mostly the second one) have nothing to do with it, other than the fact that since they were at BEST a niche European studio before them, the fact that they sold so many copies of these games is a testament to their worth and quality. It's not like they had the kind of name before these two games where the studio pedigree alone would sell the game. People bought the games because of word of mouth and because they were good, not because there were millions of people who played Divine Divinity in 2002.
    Quartz
    yeah. people like to compare the original sin games to baldurs gate when it's not really true. their games were more inspired by ultima 7. people just seee a top down isometric rpg and think it was inspired by bg.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited June 2019
    I hope Larian says more at E3. They have won a popularity contest and have the finances to make a very high quality game. Is a game like Baldur's Gate popular with modern gamers? I guess the only thing left on the table for me is weather or not Larian wants to make a Baldur's Gate RPG in a modern game engine or a modern popular RPG in the Baldur's Gate setting?

The first two Baldur's Gate games were connected by a protagonist and story elements as well as gameplay. Something like Final Fantasy has a new name, characters, and setting in each game but they do share similar gameplay. Each game has new systems and character building ideas. In Baldur's Gate 3 the more modern 5E rules will be used for character building and the old Forgotten Realms will be used for the setting which gives it the Baldur's Gate connection. The gameplay is what concerns me.

I like final fantasy but when it turned into an online MMO, I no longer cared for it. It's like they were saying to me "Hey this is the new thing that all the kids like, come and join us." So they transformed final fantasy into something more popular at the time. Sorry but it doesn't work that way and I will never play a Final Fantasy MMO. I wish they would have made a new IP for their trendy MMO and left final fantasy alone.

I'm hoping Larian will have a unique vison for the gameplay that is fun and deep. I don't expect a carbon copy of the original 20 year old gameplay but I do hope their new game isn't just a trendy DOS2 style game with a BG title. After all they could just make DOS 3 if they wanted to do that. I hope they try to show us why they are using the BG name plate. If Larian is not using the old characters, story, or gameplay then they must have some reason for making Baldur's Gate other than the city right? The city of Baldur's Gate is cool but not that cool. A setting as Diverse as the forgotten Realms has many places and names they could have used. I'm looking forward to seeing more information from them.
    kanisathaSjerrie
    @JuliusBorisov When someone tells me to like a studio because they like it, your right, I'm not going to just swing my opinion based on that alone.

"Apparently, WotC agreed in 2017 that company could be worthy of such a title. "
    Yeah, WothC also once thought the novels were worthy as well. :pensive:

" But playing DOS I actually felt it had something in common with BG2. There are a few gaming sites, including IGN, who claimed the same."

This is actually encouraging to hear. Would you care to elaborate? Was it a gameplay thing, a story thing, maybe it shared themes are a tone?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2019
    I know not everyone has the same budgets or PC specs, but if there is ever a time to give Divinity: Original Sin a whirl (the first game), GOG's Summer Sale is happening right now and it is only $11.99. The first game is not AS acclaimed as the first one, but it is still very good and is far less taxing and will at least be playable on less powerful PCs. So at the very least, giving it a try won't set anyone back $40, at least until the 17th when the sale ends. I would always recommend the game, I have NO problem doing so when it is 70% off.
    my laptop is to old to be able to run the original sin games. or anything new that requires direct ex 11.
    I think when someone says "who the heck is Larian?" on the internet... they're kind of illustrating a toxic level of bad faith. Educate yourself about the studio, then come back and contribute to an informed discussion.

Failing to do so, and repeatedly inserting your literally uninformed opinion into the topic is not constructive.
    redlineQuartz
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    This is actually encouraging to hear. Would you care to elaborate? Was it a gameplay thing, a story thing, maybe it shared themes are a tone?

The only time I felt anything like that was the start of Original Sin 2, which honestly is about the only high point the games have. I don't really get why anyone would equate the original to BG2, Ultima 7, sure, but not BG2, the tone, gameplay and writing of the first Original Sin could not be more incompatible, and honestly if you did feel that, well that's what its like in your head, sure wasn't like it in mine. Original Sin 2 starts really good and got my hopes up but loses all focus in act 2, and the lack of depth in the storytelling really starts to show.

megamike15
    Dismissing people's legitimate concerns as toxic simply because you do not agree with them is not constructive.
    kanisatha
    It's been demonstrated to not be a legitimate concern when the poster doesn't do the actual legwork of informing themselves. How can we be expected to take the concerns of someone seriously who isn't willing to put in the work to inform themselves?

Let the record show that you've called Larian 1. unethical and 2. dishonest on this forum. You've also said you don't know who Larian is. How can someone look at that record objectively, and take it seriously?
    Quartz