Skip to content

“Staff Mace” and weapon style proficiencies.

BlunderbussBlunderbuss Member Posts: 6
While doing a little independent research on different staff options in Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, I stumbled upon a curious little item: the Staff Mace (https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Staff_Mace).

This is supposedly a Quarterstaff +2 which “transforms” into a mace. It seems as though it is always wielded as a one-handed weapon in-game despite reportedly falling within the quarterstaff proficiency. This got me thinking: if one was to give something like the Staff Mace to a character, what would be a complimentary weapon style to put proficiency points into?

Two-Handed Weapon Style? If the Staff Mace is indeed counted as a quarterstaff, then this makes sense. However, this quarterstaff is unusual in that it seems to be wielded with one hand, rather than two, which makes me think that Two-Handed Weapon Style may not apply.

Singe Weapon Style? Again, if the Staff Mace is wielded in one hand, this makes sense. However, the fact that it is counted as a quarterstaff (and is in the quarterstaff proficiency) could mean that it wouldn’t be recognized as a valid weapon for Single Weapon Style.

Two Weapon Style? Sort of an extension of Single Weapon style, in that if it is eligible for one, then I imagine it would be eligible for the other as well. If the Staff Mace is wielded in one hand and you dual-wield with another weapon, would you get the benefit of Two Weapon Style, despite the Staff Mace technically being a quarterstaff (which is typically a two-handed weapon)?

I could see good arguments for all of these scenarios and thus thought I would pose the question here to see if anyone has any further insights to share.
Post edited by Blunderbuss on
MERLANCERAM021

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Blunderbuss This thread was caught in the forum's automated spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.
    DreadKhan
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Two-Handed Weapon Style only grants bonuses to weapons that are two-handed, and the Staff Mace does not in fact qualify. Single Weapon Style, Sword and Shield Style, and Two Weapon Style would apply to the Staff Mace.

Whether that makes sense or not is debatable, but that's how it works. The Staff Mace is treated as a one-handed weapon regardless of its proficiency.
    StummvonBordwehrBlunderbussgorgonzolaRAM021
  • BlunderbussBlunderbuss Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, Tresset, for restoring the thread.

And thank you, semiticgod, for sharing your knowledge! I think that your explanation makes sense (and I would personally be inclined to agree), but as this is a computer game and everything ultimately comes down to coding and programming, I wasn’t sure if the “quarterstaff” technicality would be an issue in how the game recognizes weapon choices and proficiency bonuses.

Again, I appreciate your insight!
    Grond0gorgonzolasemiticgoddess
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    as side note is interesting to notice that the staff mace and the staff spear can be used to back stab as they use the staff proficiency (technically are staves even if functionally are some other thing) and lack special restrictions like the SoTM or the valygar's katana, so every thief can weld them.
    semiticgoddessDreadKhanRAM021Aerakar
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I used to force Edwin to DW Staffmaces in BG2. He's not hitting much on less than 20 anyways, so this is marginally less idiotic than it sounds!
    gorgonzolaAerakar