Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Out of curiosity, what's the problem with 2.5?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    DavidW wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the problem with 2.5?
    Pathfinding tends to guide characters into the same spot, causing them to "stick" to each other and be unable to easily extricate themselves. See here.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Flashburn Congratulations
    StummvonBordwehrFlashburnsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Ygramul / @semiticgod

Arrow Slinger the Arcane Archer/Mage: @Flashburn
    Notable mods: SCS v31 (full prebuffs), Ascension v1.5 BETA, Tweaks Anthology, Rogue Rebalancing, More Style For Mages, IWDification beta 4, Skip Chateau Irenicus, aTweaks, Golem Construction v5.3, Artisan's Kitpack v1
    Difficulty: Insane (extra damage disabled)
    Special: Solo Run
    Start: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1071325#Comment_1071325 (May 30, 2019)
    End: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1079416#Comment_1079416 (June 25, 2019)
    EnuhalCrevsDaaklolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: Hard luck. SoD can be very unforgiving with all the disablers it throws at you, much like BG2. May I ask what defenses you used for the mind flayer? I can't think of any items or spells that will grant immunity to stun but not confusion and feeblemind.
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
    @Flashburn: Congratulations! I have added your entry to the Hall. I look forward to seeing you in SCS v32.
    FlashburnCrevsDaak
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Congratulations @Flashburn !

I've finally started a run with the new SCS version. Some decent progress in BG1, will propably report on it on friday!
    FlashburnStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
    edited June 2019
    @Wise_Grimwald: I don't remember if the mind flayer uses all of its abilities at every difficulty level (some might not show up unless you're playing at higher difficulties; I don't know), but if it does use its Psionic Blast ability in a given run, that will be a stun effect, and the only things that will block it are Chaotic Commands (Belegarm sells a few such scrolls), the Greenstone Amulet, rage immunities, or a save vs. spell. Magic resistance, Potions of Magic Blocking, and Protection from Magic scrolls will all fail to block Psionic Blast, since Psionic Blast is a level 0 nonmagical effect. Any of the above can block Chaos, as can Exaltation and Potions of Clarity, plus an SoD-exclusive helm from the first dungeon, the Helm of Unwavering Purpose. Note that Free Action and other things that grant immunity to hold and paralysis won't grant immunity to stun (unless perhaps it's a mod-introduced spell or item). It's my understanding that Remove Paralysis can cure stun, even if it can't prevent it. Dispel Magic, though, will not cure Psionic Blast, as the effect is undispellable. If you don't have access to Chaotic Commands, Potions of Invulnerability/Stone Form/Magic Shielding can help improve your saves vs. spell, and all of those potions stack (though the Dexterity drain from Potions of Stone Form can be fatal with multiple doses!).

Also note that the mind flayer can drain 5 Intelligence with every hit, so even a couple of lucky critical hits could kill certain characters. You can stack Potions of Genius or Mind Focusing to ward that off, but the mind flayer moves slowly and you can attack it from range instead.

Best of luck with Pabitra!
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaaklolien
    @CrevsDaak: That passage is blocked off until you speak with one the local church leaders about the cult. There's no timer after speaking to them in my experience, so if you spoke with High Watcher Oisig or his equivalents in the temples of Lathander or Talos, that passage should be open. If you did speak to them, you'll just have to use the console to fix the bug.

Could you explain what exactly you did with Keldorn and that Imprisonment spell? I've never heard of Reform Party being used to avoid an Imprisonment spell.
    StummvonBordwehrCrevsDaakWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited June 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Could you explain what exactly you did with Keldorn and that Imprisonment spell? I've never heard of Reform Party being used to avoid an Imprisonment spell.
    I decided to test a bit because I wasn't completely certain on what was exactly happening now, but seems like kicking Keldorn from my party had no effect on the Imprisonment at all. That was just it's default effect, which I failed to describe.

First, I'll explain how Imprisonment works in my install, and how I thought it worked before testing it out.

The bigg's tweakpack changes Imprisonment so that it acts as a Maze spell followed by an instant death. While there are many practical reasons of why this works like this, it makes Imprisonment trivial for a party that, like mine, has not a single Freedom scroll.

s14rh42fen2p.png
    (effects are sorted by the order in which they're applied, except for Freedom which is applied before the kill target opcode)

I thought this worked differently, and that Imprisonment would apply the Maze effect for an indefinite amount of time. Now, if you have any Mazed creatures in your party, you cannot leave areas with that have a required party check. I thought either this or that I would lose Keldorn (not permanently, but still) would be what happened if I didn't kick him, since I didn't see Freedom scrolls for sale anywhere (I always buy at least one if I see them).

Now, I knew about the way Imprisonment worked but thought that behaviour was limited to neutral creatures or enemies (I tested using it together with Freedom for an XP loop, but found out it doesn't work), and that I could get around it by kicked and re-recruiting Keldorn. In the end that didn't make a difference because Imprisonment in my install is rather forgiving.

I might consider changing Imprisonment into a permanent Maze spell, since the current version of Imprisonment kills you in 30 seconds which might not be enough to save Yvralline, and isn't enough to make Imprisonment more than an no save Slay spell, which is not strong enough against the party for a level 9 spell (and I think that if you have Death Ward from an equipped item, you'd be able to avoid the insta-death even).
    semiticgod wrote: »
    so if you spoke with High Watcher Oisig or his equivalents in the temples of Lathander or Talos, that passage should be open. If you did speak to them, you'll just have to use the console to fix the bug.
    Thanks. Must be a bug because I'm pretty certain I did talk to Oisig, but I'll try talking to him again (and to the Lathander one as well, just in case) if that doesn't work, I'll just set the appropriate variable via the console.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehr
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    CrevsDaak wrote: »

First, I'll explain how Imprisonment works in my install, and how I thought it worked before testing it out.

The bigg's tweakpack changes Imprisonment so that it acts as a Maze spell followed by an instant death.

I'm pretty sure this is from Spell Revisions. Bigg's tweak doesn't kill.

I thought this worked differently, and that Imprisonment would apply the Maze effect for an indefinite amount of time. Now, if you have any Mazed creatures in your party, you cannot leave areas with that have a required party check.

That's why I changed it. Ditto Flesh to Stone. W/o means to remove it, you're stuck permanently. In case of petrification, you can kill/raise affected character; but with Imprisonment there's no such option.
    I might consider changing Imprisonment into a permanent Maze spell, since the current version of Imprisonment kills you in 30 seconds which might not be enough to save Yvralline, and isn't enough to make Imprisonment more than an no save Slay spell, which is not strong enough against the party for a level 9 spell (and I think that if you have Death Ward from an equipped item, you'd be able to avoid the insta-death even).

I don't think a spell can be made more powerful - no save kill that bypasses MR. The only way I can imagine it being more powerful is by giving it AoE. :)
    I could go around Death Ward protection (have to check out if it prevents death in the first place).
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrCrevsDaaklolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    I prefer the permanent maze effect myself, along with the extra Freedom scrolls added by SCS of course! (They were needed for that funky Prismatic Spray permanent stun effect too...)
    CrevsDaak