Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 2 Completionist Playthrough (with SCS and Ascension)

Hello, my BG brothers and sisters!

I would just like to inform you all about the BG2 playthrough I've been working on for the past months, that some of you might be interested in and perhaps find it entertaining. In the playthrough I attempt to showcase everything the game has to offer, to the best of my ability - encounters, locations, quests, references and different lesser known bits and pieces. I also showcase using most items and spells in the game, as well as some fun tactics and spell combos (especially later on in the game).

I've made an introductory video which contains a more detailed explanation of the completionist concept (with its 2 little caveats), settings, mods, my characters and everything else concerning the let's play. Generally, I try to provide a chilled out, informative commentary and present gameplay with a place for both role-playing elements, lore info and powergaming considerations in mind.

Another very important part of the playthrough is its difficulty, provided by the mod SCS - Sword Coast Stratagems. It improves the AI and stats of opponents and introduces various tactical challenges to make the game more challenging and interesting. To a similar effect, I've also included Ascension, which improves the major Throne of Bhaal fights and, most of all, the final battle of the Saga. Generally, I wanted to showcase the excellence of SCS and Ascension, but aside from that, keep things pretty vanilla, so that everyone can feel right at home, with the same BG2 content we're all accustomed to.

More specific technical info:
  • Played on Enhanced Edition ver. 1.3.
  • Mods used: SCS, BG2 Tweaks & aTweaks (few minor components), Ascension (in Throne of Bhaal)

The playthrough is nearing its completion (having just played the battle vs. Abazigal and his Ascension minions in the newest episode) so this thread is a little late, but perhaps it's for the best - my upload schedule has had its ups and downs and if someone finds the videos entertaining enough, they're going to have a lot of content to sink their teeth into. The episodes are mostly between 30-45 minutes long, with some exceptions here and there.

A few highlights and episodes with the some notable fights:
Introductory episode - all the info about the playthrough
Ep 47 - TorGal, who had some problems accepting death
Ep 63 - Shadow Dragon and Shade Lord
Ep 69 - Firkraag + Conster
Ep 97 - Beholder Hive in the Underdark - Hive Mother, 2 Elder Orbs and tons of Beholders (fought without using the Shield of Balduran)
Ep 108 - Drow massacre in Ust Natha
Ep 117 - Kangaxx
Ep 118 - Twisted Rune
Ep 120 - Reclaiming Imoen's soul from Bodhi
Ep 124 - Anomen vs. Nizidramanii'yt
Ep 127 - Irenicus' last stand in Hell

Throne of Bhaal:
Ep 135 - Gromnir Il-Khan
Ep 141 - Yaga-Shura
Ep 153 - Saladrex fought without using magic
Ep 158 - Nalmissra's group (Watcher's Keep level 5)
Bonus episode - a fun challenge of fighting all 3 Final Seal encounters at the same time (Azamantes, Nalmissra's group and the Rilmani)
Ep 159 - Demogorgon
Ep 164 - Sendai
Ep 169 - Abazigal

BG2 Playlist

I don't want to spam too many links and it's difficult to pick out separate episodes sometimes - SCS improves whole AREAS so much. The Planar Sphere, Planar Prison, Spellhold Maze, Underdark Beholder Hive, Fire Giant Temple in the Marching Mountains, Abazigal's Lair or Watcher's Keep as a whole are improved immensely and contain many different memorable fights.

I hope you'll enjoy the videos!

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mivsan: How do you get higher quality resolutions on Youtube uploads? I'm unfamiliar with recorders and while Streamlabs OBS is working for me, the high-res FLV files I upload result in lower-res videos on Youtube.
    @Mivsan: Thank you! Do you need to do something special to record in MP4? When I go to settings to change from FLV recordings to MP4 records, the thing is X'ed out (the mouse icon becomes a circle with a cross through it). I don't see any options that specify resolution, but the resolution I have in my FLV's is already crystal clear. Can OBS convert existing FLV recordings to MP4? Because I've had trouble finding an FLV to MP4 converter that's free and can handle the hour-long files I'm working with (an online converter wouldn't accept such large files).

I don't need to do any special editing besides trimming the beginning and end of the video to cut out the part where I'm at the desktop. I've considered adding a voiceover commentary, but I'm not decided on that, so it might not be necessary.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    @semiticgod Yes, you can remux your flv recordings into mp4 with OBS. Go to "File -> Remux Recordings" and simply select the file you want to convert.

Recording directly into mp4 is not recommended for at least 2 reasons:
    - Mp4 is less reliable - in case of a crash or power outage, the whole file is going to be corrupted and unrecoverable. Formats like flv or mkv will only lose the last few seconds of footage and be fine, aside from that.
    - Remuxing an flv/mkv into mp4 is a very quick process with no loss to quality.

You can set resolution in Settings -> Video.
    - Base (Canvas) Resolution - the amount of space for your sources - usually your native monitor resolution.
    - Output (Scaled) Resolution - an option to downscale output, mostly utilized to stream in lower qualities.
    For local recordings, it's recommended to set both to your monitor/game resolution. You can also specify the FPS value for your recording here.

Also, since you mentioned being at the desktop: using Game Capture as your source should provide the best results and be most efficient. It works with BG:EE (and the majority of games in general, as I understand) and could perhaps eliminate the need for trimming.
    @Mivsan: Good advice! I've been using Game Capture, but apparently I also needed to disable the Display Capture to remove the pre-game footage. This just replaces it with black space, though. Also, it appears to be blacking out the first few seconds of in-game footage, but I can just wait that out.

How do I get to "File -> Remix Recordings?" I don't see any File dropdown menu.
    @Mivsan: I don't have any of those things at the top of OBS. Any idea what's going on with mine?

w7vyquxp0xnv.png

That's the entire OBS window.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    @semiticgod: Ah, I see what the problem is. Streamlabs OBS is a new, separate branch of OBS (as it's all open source), focused on streaming - it must not have the remux feature. I'm using OBS Studio - the "main" application that's been in development for years.

They are both similar, with some subtle differences. From what I've been able to gather, SLOBS claims to be more optimized (although there are some debates about that, with people having different results) and have some different features tailored for streaming, while OBS Studio is more advanced in a lot of areas.

You might want to install OBS Studio just for the remuxing, even if you don't plan on doing anything else with it. It should be the easiest and fastest way to convert your files.
  • EconomicsEconomics Member Posts: 13
    i recently found out about your playthrough, its my favourite bg playthrough
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Yes, the best BG series Lets Play I know of. I have really enjoyed it and appreciate the effort. You really killed me in BGEE playthrough though - playing whole chapters without giving some toons a melee weapon! Thanks for the memories.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited December 2019
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. This is a truly wonder!
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Wow, can't believe I missed that thread and your videos. I just watched the "bonus" chapter from the 3 seals of Watcher's Keep. I'm hooked !

Impressive gameplay, i'll take the time and watch more of your series
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Hi! Wow, what great walkthrough! You really have a lot of great tips for the key battles.
    What I'm interested in is can you share some of your "lesser known bits and pieces"?
    I also try to play BG2 completionist style, to get the most possible out of the game, by making sure I see every area, get every encounter, and do all the quests even the minor ones; but maybe there are some rare ones that you consider "lesser known bits and pieces".
    Thanks.