Skip to content

The Weather Thread.

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    ThacoBell said:

So, after getting temperaturs down to -3F, its supposed to get up to 65F within a day or two here.

Seems like a strong swing. Any flooding to be expected?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ammar said:
    So, after getting temperaturs down to -3F, its supposed to get up to 65F within a day or two here.
    Seems like a strong swing. Any flooding to be expected?

Hard to say. In my area, it was just bitterly cold, with no/very very littel snow. That being said, my area is a flood risk, so its possible that if other places got enough snow, we could see some.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    It was actually warmer here today, in the high 40's.
    ThacoBell
    Got a big temp swing today. Low of 28F and a high of 63F. Talk about a bi-polar vortex!
    Balrog99FinneousPJdeltago
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Seattle's pretty much shutdown from a snow storm. We had snow last Sunday, and spots of ice have stuck around, with more snow today and a big storm rolling in tonight/tomorrow. I know a few inches of snow probably sounds like nothing to people from the mid-west, but in Seattle it's really dangerous. The whole place is nothing but hills. Also, when it snows here, we teeter back and forth across the freezing point. So we get snow that melts a bit, refreezes as ice, and has a very thin layer of water on the top, which is way slicker than just ice. It doesn't help that snow isn't even a yearly event here, so we're not used to it.
    ThacoBell
    Two days ago, everything shut down in town because of sudden ice (like it took <5min for everything to freeze over). Just barely got above freezing long enough for some of it to melt, ice trucks only managed to hit the mainest of main roads. Been having consitently low temperatures of 2-8F. It is cold.
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    More crap weather in Michigan. I sure miss the days when snow was the biggest problem here in the Northlands. Ice storms just suck all the way around...
    ThacoBell
    It rained here last night and everything this morning had an icy sheen. Only slippery in a few spots, though.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Just went out for a bit. Almost 50 degrees here. Felt like Spring. Almost sorta kinda. But Winter Storm Nadia is coming, in Missouri it caused a "43 Vehicle Pileup". Here, it's not supposed to actually snow untii Monday... and Wednesday. (source: Weather.com)
    ThacoBell
    Expecting heavy snow over night and through all of tomorrow. We could be looking at 8in-1ft of snow.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited July 2019
    Finally i can work out all day without breaking a sweat. Yes, i live in a chaotic city. In winter receive a lot of cold from Antarctica and in Summer, a lot of heat from North. Even rain of spider i got there.

o6bfxd6.png

5BNzFFn.png

But snow, there are 5 years since the last time that snowed in my city.
    Balrog99DrHappyAngry
    Even rain of spider i got there.
    I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds horrific.
    Arvia
    edited July 2019
    Even rain of spider i got there.
    I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds horrific.

Not exactly in my city but is relative near. The "spider rain" that i saw was nothing compared to this video

The weather is extremely chaotic here. In nutshell, is an very above the sea level location who during winter receive a lot of cold from Antarctica and during the summer, receive a lot of heat from the big tropical area. We got -5ºC(23ºF) and hailstorms during winter and 38ºC(100.4ºF) in summer of the same year...

I had lessons from an female teacher from US and she said that she never experienced so much cold and hot weather in the same travel. Mainly because few houses have heating. My problem here is during the summer. My skin is extremely weak against the sun and i literally fainted 3 years ago. During the winter, except when the water freezes on the pipe, i don't have much problem.

If i can move, i would search an cold place to live.
    DrHappyAngry
    Spiders, falling from the sky. That is totally metal.
    SorcererV1ct0rBalrog99
    Spiders, falling from the sky. That is totally metal.

I walked from one city to another during an hailstorm. Almost 10km(only on the last moments under hailstorm)

I really love snow and love cold. Be able to train all day without sweating > become dizzy and with sunburns

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2019
    Two months ago we had so much heat that I couldn't sleep in the attic, and now it's the nasty time of scraping the ice from my car in the morning... especially unpleasant after a night at work.

I love the smell of the air and the look of the sky on a frosty morning, but I wish I could just glare at my car and make the ice melt.
    SkatanZaghoul

Now is summer in southern hemisphere. The hardest part of the year. Constant 30ºC...
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I learned something about the weather I didn't know thanks to Brazil actually. Or learned might be exaggerated, but anyways. I was confused why Ctba felt so disgustingly moist even though they have about the same humidity that my own country has, but according to Wiki it's not only about humidity (which might falsely often be used as a description of this feeling) but something called a "dew point". I didn't really understand it all, and to be frank I didn't spend more than 5 minutes reading it, but still I thought it was interesting that two countries can have the same humidity but in one you can feel a refreshing crispy air and in the other an appalling moisture that makes everything feels wet. Waking up in the morning and dressing in shirts that are wet or going to bed in the evening in a bed with wet bed sheet, yikes.. not my cup of tea.
    Zaghoul
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Halloween was postponed till November 1 (today) in some places in Quebec because of strong winds and rain last night:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6112377/montreal-late-halloween/amp/
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Skatan: This is not directly related to what you wrote, but it's relevant nevertheless. David Foster Wallace rather nicely observed (in Infinite Jest) how it's sometimes difficult to believe that the same sun shines over the entire planet. I've been in the sunshine with the temperature at close to -40'C and somewhere around 35'C as well.

FYI, if you throw a cup of hot coffee in the air when it's -51.5'C (the coldest it's been near to where I live), none of it hits the ground in liquid form. It does look rather fantastic.
    ZaghoulSkatan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    So after about a month of "winter" sitting around 50F, this week we plunged down to about 15F, that's quite the tamp swing. We are expected to get as low as 5F over the next few days.
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Ardanis wrote: »
    You know there's something *very* wrong going on when it rains for days in Russia in the very middle of winter. We haven't even seen proper snow *yet*.

wowzers, its quite common for russia and canada to compete in the winter for "coldest" weather and all that, over here, we've been having a huge cold snap, where i live in canada winter is usually pretty mild and will get to about 0 to -5 C but we've been having days that were hitting -18 C , can't imagine what was going on east of british columbia, i was even told that canada was the coldest country in the world this week

even victoria is getting hit with huge amounts of snow and that is super rare
    ThacoBellArvia
    Oh boy! Freezing rain today and possibly over the next 3 days! (extreme sarcasm)

This stuff is nasty. Just might be the most dangerous weather we get outside tornadoes here in kansas.
    ZaghoulArviasarevok57
    edited January 2020
    Usually, once the Blizzard warning is announced (as just happend here), work cancels. Winds are gusting as high as 50mph at the moment, no way I'm walking to the bus stop. So I'll end up taking an Uber and likely get sent home after 2 or 3 hours. On the plus side, we do get full pay in these situations.
    sarevok57Balrog99ZaghoulThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Oh boy! Freezing rain today and possibly over the next 3 days! (extreme sarcasm)

This stuff is nasty. Just might be the most dangerous weather we get outside tornadoes here in kansas.

i remembe when i was a youngin and living in ontario every march we would get freezing rain, and although it really looked cool on the trees, you are correct on how dangerous it was; trees falling down on roads and houses and telephone poles, huge power outages everywhere

but, it was so slick outside you could actually skate to the skating rink from your house hahaha
    Balrog99ZaghoulThacoBell
    I was way off. Going home after 90 minutes. All I accomplished was getting a tardy because my Uber was 20 minutes late, which I NEVER do (though my manager said she'd mark it as weather-related so it may not count against me). All in all, I would have benefited greatly from this inevitable decision being made two hours ago.
    Balrog99sarevok57ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    just be glad you're not in Newfoundland. https://globalnews.ca/news/6426547/st-johns-snowstorm-photos/

Up to 75 cm (29.5 inches or 2.5 feet) of snow. 120 km/h (75 m/h) winds to blow it all around. That's tropical storm levels.

This is one of the pictures from the article posted above from Twitter:
    5sq2mw22dp0e.jpg
    Balrog99sarevok57ThacoBellZaghoul
    Weather forecasts being imperfect is sometimes good. Its sunny today and a few degrees above freezing, instead of icy death.
    sarevok57