Skip to content

Modding in Icewind Dale 2

2»

Comments

• UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    Are the devs still looking for the code for IWD2 or have they given up? In any event, IWD2 is my favorite out of the entire series. It almost seems like a crime not to have this out in EE form.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Indeed, it really should be. Nothing new on the source code, still trying to locate it, with little success. There are a few mod projects around it, like putting iwd1 and parts of 2 into EET. I tried to put just Targos into iwdee and it's proving very difficult.
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2018
    Interesting. Keep me up-to-date on that and any links to the other mods. Thanks!
    Post edited by UOLegacy on
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    edited August 2018
    I had a bit of a poke around with iwd2 - putting it into iwdee. It's a tricky process, but I think I have an idea of exactly what issues arise.
    First there are the area files - most of these copy over nicely, but I've found the .TIS needs to be redone and its best to remove the actor scripts from the .are. The actors all need different animations - someone could add all the iwd2 animations (maybe an optional install option?).
    Then you have the two things that dont copy across at all... .itms and .cre files - for these, you really need new files and then make them as close to the iwd2 files as possible.
    Next the scripts - there's maybe 10 script differences, Ive seen so far- most can be worked around. The main one that's new for iwd2 is setting teams for all the characters - that one might take some brains to figure out the best alternative.
    Lastly - the whole update to 3.5 - well, i think globals can replicate that, not perfectly, then youd need mods to add classes, kits, subraces and skill/feat effects - some of which already exists.
    Edit: forgot dialogue - the dialogue is actually written up extremely well, but you need to change all the #3456 into @3456, traify it and change a few script differences.

Well if we dont get iwd2ee or a version in EET... I'll give it a go in a few years heh.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    semiticgod wrote: »
    As it happens, you can do all sorts of crazy things to the spell system by editing the LISTSPLL.2da file, which is a comprehensive list of every spell in the game, which classes can cast it, and what level the spell is. Thus, you can rig Call Lightning to be a level 7 cleric spell or Death Ward to be a level 3 mage spell. This governs the spell picks for bards, clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, sorcerers, and mages. For mages, though, you still need to give them a proper scroll for them to learn, say, Cure Light Wounds, and I believe it's necessary to add the spell to the LISTMAGE.2da, if only to implement spell school restrictions. I think LISTMAGE.2da should also be able to remove spell restrictions or change opposition schools.

Do you know (or anyone else) what does double ** in SPELL_RES_REF column of LISTMAGE.2da is used for? It clearly replaces "SP" letters, but I have no idea why it's done only for some spells listed in this file.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @swit: It's used to remove spells from player spellbooks. If you replace the ** with SP, that spell will be available to player-created spellcasters where it otherwise would not be. Likewise, you can keep a spell out of player hands by replacing SP with **. I think the developers originally planned on introducing those spells into the game, but later on decided to exclude them, and put asterisks in the entry rather than removing it in case they changed their mind later on.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    thanks!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It turns out it's possible to change the effects applied by some of the weird projectiles like Agannazar's Scorcher. Certain effects and projectiles apply special spells; these spells can be edited:

EFFAS1 - Agannazar's Scorcher damage to target
    EFFAS2 - Agannazar's Scorcher damage to creatures in the line between the caster and the target
    EFFMT1 - Mold Touch spreading effects
    EFFSE - Effects when caster kills a creature with Soul Eater damage
    EFFSOF1 - Shroud of Flame effects on burning creatures each round
    EFFSOF2 - Shroud of Flame effects on creatures near a burning creature each round

I can't find a spell for the AoE damage of Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, though.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    I can't find a spell for the AoE damage of Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, though.

I can confirm that it is hardcoded. The Mordenkainen's Force Missiles projectile will inflict a 5-foot damage effect equal to the casters level, applied directly by the engine.
  • Gregorypic123Gregorypic123 Member Posts: 1
    wow brilliant :)