Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat)

Comments

• CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    @Shadooow Do you know if beamdog will be incorporating more of the nwnx* goodness into base EE? I am mainly interested in single player modding.
  • GrogbayneGrogbayne Member Posts: 8
    Grogbayne wrote: »
    Request:

Any way to make Darkvision actually do something visual on the screen? In NWN2, it has a useful and visually helpful effect. In NWN1, the screen stays just as dark without a torch out as if I were playing a Human. It's irritating to me to be playing a Half Orc and still need a torch out to "see" what's going on on-screen in the dark hallway.

This is still high on my selfish wishlist.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Greetings, all!

+1 to officially including in NWNEE material from the Player Resource Consortium (PRC) mod or/and the Community Expansion Pack (CEP) mod. Also, add support from NWNXEE. I'd greatly like to have the official D&D 3.5 content from here be put in the game formally for everyone.

CEP Mod: https://neverwintervault.org/cep

PRC Mod: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortium-v375

NWNXEE: https://github.com/nwnxee/unified

Other things I'd like:

-Add arrays (especially dynamically-sized ones) to NWScript.

-Remove the hard limits of 3 character classes per character and 255 entries for classes and races. (If there must be a hard limit, make it 255+.)

-Up the hard limit of 255 classes/races/feats/etc. to something much bigger, like billions. (This may break backwards compatibility, but give modders that option!)

-Add greater support for parties run by a single player a la NWN2.

Thankee!
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    You cannot include that kind of material for several reasons. I believe you need express transfer of rights to the company from every contributor or some kind of similar contract. Then you also need WotC to give the company the go ahead on all official content. This includes many implementations of classes and custom implementations that can different greatly from source material.

Those issues aside while the haks you mention are a boon for many players but they also come with drawbacks. As you probably noticed there are hard limits on 2das and that impacts how much content you can add, that's the number one concern. Even with a higher limit people will complain about "unwanted content" that is "forced" into their game, like they did when racialtypes.2da changes merely exposed the CEP racial types directly. The other issue is implementation differences and the lines already reserved that everyone except these mega-haks have to work around. For some people mega-haks and combos of various mega-haks are great, but I'm not sure it should be forced on everyone.

For NWNXEE it is not so much integrating it into the base game which people desire I think, it's integrating NWNXEE functionality into the base game. It's essentially asking "add these functions" which everyone has already asked to death, seemingly on deaf ears. Another thing that could be meant is to add a native sql database, which again is something else. Some popular servers haven't come over yet because their plugins aren't supported and I think that content should be made part of the base game, but at the same time not even NWNXEE can provide it. Again it's all about the functions.

So tl;dr including community content to the base game is per se tricky and problematic. Adding extenders to the official download wont be as useful as adding extender plugin functions directly into the base game. The other stuff with the 2da limits is something I've asked for too, as well as various extensions to various 2das to make them work better with content. Probably more than a year ago so fingers crossed.
  • ABJECT_SELFABJECT_SELF Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2019
    @Endarire
    Endarire wrote: »
    -Add arrays (especially dynamically-sized ones) to NWScript.

I can't second this hard enough.

Arrays are sort of in NWN right now, but it's hidden in an obscure include file with very little documentation (nw_o0_itemmaker), and even then you need to store the array on an object instead of using the array directly as a data structure.

Concatenating strings and integers to create arrays manually has been one of my biggest time sinks in NWScript.

• CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    How about a scripting command to partially rest a character - for instance to refresh a wizards spells, or class special abilities, but not grant the other benefits of resting like healing or refreshing item properties that are usable only a few times per day.

• TheMothManTheMothMan Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to see DecrementRemainingFeatUses() and DecrementRemainingSpellUses() accept a negative value, to increase uses with scripts.
    Or just a new function, like IncrementRemainingFeatUses()
  • AdolinAdolin Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure it has been mentioned many times. But getting something for Counterspell would be amazing. Preferably just open to editing. Whether it be making it assignable to quickslots or being able to counter multiple targets at once.
  • kaderkader Member Posts: 5
    Trident have specialization feats but Oc have not trident
    also the weapon animation not correct, it wielding like two handed sword rather than polearm
  • NK1990NK1990 Member Posts: 75
    Make and attack animation for cleave and greater cleave, instead of using a speed up version of the normal attack animation, and make it Target in a short cone in front of the player with a range modified by the weapon. Also a death animation for the target before cleave, greater cleave activates so the first dying would be cut in two or more pieces. That would be nice.
    Dagger = knife
    Short sword = dagger
    Long sword = arming sword
    (Two handed sword = long sword/bastard sword make them possible to wield one handed and two handed)
    What about the trolls in NWN, wouldn't it be and idea to make them fall down like in Baldurs gate and NWN 2, so you have to finish them with fire or acid.
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    I would like to be able to do a FloatingTextOnCreature be able to appear to creatures of another faction, so floating text could be displayed on enemy creatures, etc. Thank you.

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @sippelmc That is entirely down to the module builder. With scripting that should be relatively simple.

TR
    edited October 2019
    @TarotRedhand No it is a limit of the function - you cannot put floating text over NPCs outside of your faction/party. https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php/FloatingTextStringOnCreature. If there is a way to do that I'd love to know =)

It would be nice if there was a newswitch that was essentially bBroadcastToAllFactions = TRUE.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Try AssignCommand(oNPC, Speakstring()). Check out the entries in the lexicon for both AssignCommand()
    and Speakstring(): there is important information on their use. Also you need to get the oNPC object yourself as it is not a built-in object.

TR
    Thanks for the reply and I see what you mean but the output for SpeakString is not the same as FloatingText and each have diff use cases...the request which would be nice to see is floatingtext output visible to players on non-party NPCs.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited November 2019
    The Pale Master spell progression doesn't work, you get extra spell slots but your caster LVL doesn't increase, a 5th LVL Wizard takes 10 Pale Master Lvls should be casting as if 10th LVL but is stuck on 5th until taking more Wizard Lvls.

If that got fixed it would be nice to have Eldritch Knight & Mystic Theurge as new Prestige Classes.

I'd like to see more Spells like in NWN 2 such as "Arc Lighting" (Conjuration) for Wizard's and Druid's, "Call Lightning Storm" for Druid's (5th LVL) and more.

For Feats the Druid needs "Natural Spell" to allow casting while shifted, running around as a Bear casting Call Lighting is awesome ?.

For all casters the Feat "Practiced Spellcaster" would be nice.

Oh and the Feat "Able Learner" would be great.

Edit: I only now realise some of my suggestions have already been raised...sorry for the repeat.
    Post edited by Cerabelus on
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    A suggest that came deeply from my heart : fix what doesn't work before introducing new stuff.
  • BananoBanano Member Posts: 10
    I don't know if it's game mechanics related or if it a known problem, but on ps4 the UI is a nightmare.

1) I love I can have multiple windows opened at the same time... it's not easy navigate them but it's nice. Problem is you can do it only with UI option numer 2 (with UI 1 windows tends to be just too big). The big issue of UI 2 is that with big font it is awfully formatted, while small fonts are far too small... mind you, it looks good, but it's not pratical: I got an headache for just a twenty miute session of playing, and it's not a figure of speech. Plus, sometimes dialogue option in UI 2 small fonts tend to disappear.

2) Game's log. I can't scroll it. Bg's very easy, 'cos it's possibile to scroll the log during pause (that's when it's supposed you need it, right?). On NWN is otherwise, during pause I can't do it (or at least, I didn't understand how).
    Now, it is a problem because, going back to point 1), log on UI 1 has few lines (with CHAT BAR in front of it) and in few moments text scrolls away. while with U2 with small fonts it's too small.

So, could you please include a medium size font? I guess it's a reasonable request.
    edited December 2019
    @Banano

I'm on the Switch but this should be the same for you.

Click R stick.
    Up D pad.

At this point you should be able to scroll with the R stick up and down.

A to change window size ( should be X for you).
    To save changes click R again or B to cancel out ( should be O for you).

I just had to figure this out myself.

Edit: I see what you mean, I can't seem to use the chat log while paused.
    Post edited by Cerabelus on
  • BananoBanano Member Posts: 10
    @Cerabelus

Exactly. I use a smiliar procedure. You have to enter in chat mode. Not very pratical. On Bg it was otherwise, you could do it only in pause mode, but was fine: at the end you use log to see effectiviness of your action, then adapt your attack plan... not useful if during this operation, the battle is going on.

Also, I tried in pause mode using the cursor like a mouse to scroll up the window's bar but it seems the log's window is not responsive. BTW, should be not pratical the same.

• Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 182
    I'd still like to see if the Override folder could function like it does in NWN2; where the game can read stuff from "inside" folders that are "inside" of the Override folder.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    edited December 2019
    Ugly_Duck wrote: »
    I'd still like to see if the Override folder could function like it does in NWN2; where the game can read stuff from "inside" folders that are "inside" of the Override folder.

How would you handle the priorities? Lexicographically? I mean, if you have:
    override/foo/foo.tga
    override/foo/bar/foo.tga
    override/baz/foo.tga

which one would be loaded?
  • Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 182
    Sherincall wrote: »
    Ugly_Duck wrote: »

How would you handle the priorities? Lexicographically? I mean, if you have:
    override/foo/foo.tga
    override/foo/bar/foo.tga
    override/baz/foo.tga

which one would be loaded?
    I have no idea. I'm not a techie. This is just a suggestion that would make things, in my opinion, more organized.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Technically any option is equally easy/complicated, so not a huge deal. The issue here is purely organizational one. I also have no idea what the 'correct' answer is - i.e. one which would be the least confusing for people. Probably alphabetically sorted, so you can manually organize it by renaming folders to start with "000", "001", etc..
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    When you use up all of a stack of items such as arrows, bolts or potions, the module's OnUnAcquireItem event fires BUT the object GetModuleItemLost(); is not valid. You can't get any info about these items such as their name, tag, base item type, etc. You also can't do tag based scripting for these items (at least in my quick testing I couldn't). Can you guys make it to where some info about these types of items are still retrievable so we can script certain things to happen when they are depleted.
  • KhuzadrepaKhuzadrepa Member Posts: 3
    Please add a function for SetMovementRate (using the 2da entries that set the property on the creature.) One weakness of EffectMovementIncrease/Decrease is it doesn't delineate between walking and running. There are instances where it would great to slow running but leave walking normal. The actual movement rate property defines both and the 2da can be edited. Another option would be to define different walking/running properties that the EffectMovementIncrease/Decrease scripts can alter with expanded parameters.
    Thank you!
  • Sfera_RojaSfera_Roja Member Posts: 9
    Nice jobs, guys. :)
    but we need a party creation or system to leverup owns Heanchmen
    Sfera_Roja wrote: »
    Nice jobs, guys. :)
    but we need a party creation or system to leverup owns Heanchmen

If I can't get full party control this would be nice.