Skip to content

IE modding wiki

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
edited August 2019 in General Modding
UPDATE: I've already created the wiki. For now it's almost empty, but hopefully it will start to grow soon. You can see it and thinker with it here:
IE modding wiki

I'm quite new to the modding wiki and I feel overwhelmed by the huge amount of information about IE modding scattered across countless forum threads in dozens of websites. I'm thinking that it might be very helpful for all of us to compile in a wiki the knowledge that has been accumulated over the years. I've never created a wiki before, but I think many of us would enjoy giving it a go. I believe there are several websites that provide hosting for wikis for free, so money shouldn't be a problem.

What do you think? Does it make sense?
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    There is already a website with a ton of Infinity Engine modding information: the IESDP Index.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    I know, but the IESDP index is a repository of technical reference information that you can use once you know how to do the modding. It doesn't include information about, say, how to program in WeiDU, how to use tra files, etc. The wiki wouldn't copy the contents of IESDP, rather it would give information about how to use those resources (and anything else related to IE modding).
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    There was a wiki years ago, based on one of the IE websites I think, might have been shs or g3, which did have interesting and useful information about the game engine. Stuff like the starting area - what files are used for that (could be useful for total conversions etc), files used for the gui, engine limitations and other useful things.

A wiki would be a good place to add additional content covering lots of topics and could incorporate information sourced and collated from tutorials, how-to guides and forum posts and not simple recreating that information or linking to urls.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Actually moving all mod lists, basic mod information and everything like that to a Wiki would be cool. Sounds like a LOT of work, but putting all mod information out there would be amazing.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    Kerzenburg had as (German) BG wiki with mod descriptions. It was taken offline when the forum moved because it was outdated and noone maintained it. When it startend, it was a community projetc with 10+ people contributing.
    So, short meaning: "sounds great, but you will be alone responsible for maintaining it".
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited August 2019
    Thank you for the feedback. I've already created the wiki and so far it has a grand total of... wait for it... 3 pages! That's the home page and two other pages where I have scribbled the last few little bits I've learned about modding. You can see it and tinker with it here.

For me this is essentially a tool to learn how to mod the IE. At worst it will end up being a more or less organized collection of my notes on modding. But if more people are interested maybe we can build something a bit better. For now it's just a sandbox. Any feedback, either constructive or destructive, is appreciated.
    jastey wrote: »
    Kerzenburg had as (German) BG wiki with mod descriptions. It was taken offline when the forum moved because it was outdated and noone maintained it. When it startend, it was a community projetc with 10+ people contributing.
    So, short meaning: "sounds great, but you will be alone responsible for maintaining it".
    If you know where that info is I can have a look and see if it's feasible to copy it to the wiki and keep it updated.
    Post edited by Alonso on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    The wiki is offline and it was in German anyhow.