Skip to content

Who don't you like?

Are there any characters that every time you bump into them you think "Oh, not that guy! I hate that guy!"

With me it's Drizzt. When I first played BG I knew nothing of the lore of the Forgotten Realms and so hadn't heard of him and right from the start I thought he seemed like a dick. He asks for your help but it's only so he can show off how much better than you he is. And even if you do help him you get nothing for it (except the gnoll treasure he can't be bothered to pick up for himself).

Plus he's got all this cool gear but the only way to get your hands on it is to go heavy on the cheese and for me that breaks any immersion in the game. And even if you do get his gear you are going to end up wielding a sword called Twinkle. I ask you, what kind of loser calls their sword Twinkle?

Drizzt Do'Urden - I hate that guy.
SkatanBalrog99BelgarathMTHOrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehrAerakarArdulQuartzlolienJuliusBorisovBelegCuthalionFenrirWolfgangerDinoDinZaghoul

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Montaron, that guy is probably the most dangerous npc to be around lore-wise. Korgan would tell him to cool down.
    DJKajuruJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2019
    Saemon - an irritating goober with an unjustified amount of plot armour

Also the ToB big bad, I saw through the act immediately but had to sit through the whole game anyway

Edit: Oops this is BG, in that case Edwin, I found him intensely annoying and couldn’t believe he was one of the few npcs to return in BG2, especially with Minsc having survived too and them both apparently having travelled with you

Also Jaheira, Gorion’s friend, a Harper and a mother figure but who moans constantly and undermines charname when his rep gets too high from solving problems in the region at her request (corrected in the EEs but it still chaffs from 1998)
    Post edited by ilduderino on
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2019
    I dislike the evil Dwarves: Kagain (and Korgan in BG2.)

For some reason the only good aligned Dwarf is at the bottom of the mines and you get him so late in the game :cry:

I actively dislike Safana, never had her in my parties and never will :#

I mildly dislike Xzar and Montaron, when I reach them I always roll my eyes, but I often pick them to have some more meat shields when dealing with Tarnesh o:) I release them as soon as I arrive in Nashkel and not a moment later.

I used to dislike Dynaheir, until I realized that she was voiced by Jennifer Hale, and starting to use BG1 NPC project also helped in flesh her out too.

As for EE NPCs, they are mostly OK in BG1... the only one I tend to avoid is Rasaad, for game-mechanics reasons... but I completely hate Hexxat and Dorn in BG2.

I never used Ajantis, Alora, Eldoth and Quayle yet... so no opinion on them.

As for enemy NPCs, the only one I hate is Tarnesh... specially with SCS installed... he's one of a hell road block if you want to avoid reloading, and it's completely random (in my experience) on how the encounter will going to go on a given playthrough... I haven't found a reliable way to be sure I can deal with him when following the intended starting path, so I often just sigh and take the reloads I need to pass him.
    sarevok57DaevelonJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Kagain is just so boring. Low energy. Says everything like he's half asleep.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Paulan969Paulan969 Member Posts: 13
    Minsc. There, I said it. Don't judge lol

Well, I for one won't. Never understood the community's obsession with this guy.

Haha maybe they r not obssesed with Him exactly! Remember of Boo! Cute little puppy! How not to LOVE him!

I dont like Irenicus... Yeah... I mean hes a Villain of some weird sort. Thinks he ate all brains, have some power gods-know-from-where... If i didnt know him sience Bg2 already i would Love him in SoD. Mysterious, sinister, he really build some atmosphere there. Sadly we know about Bg2 and how overambitious he is. Im absolutely in love in his dubbing (both eng and pl - aye, im from poland) Just somehow the way he think annoy me... also that he always has to have the last word, and our answers never hits him.

Melissana - ough! Worst type rly! Just as the whole, sorry lass.

Jan Jansen - talks TOO much! Omg! Had him once in a party but those dialogues sooo boring i always skipped.
    Permidion_StarkJuliusBorisovBelegCuthalionFenrirWolfganger
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I don't like Montaron because he's such a murdering psychopath, unfit even for neutral parties.

I never managed to stick with Dorn and Neera for long. Both act like 80's cartoon characters, IMO. 'Sides, it's like they were written for paralel quests, as they have no comments whatsoever about Gorion's ward main quest.

I like BG1 Minsc, but in BG2 he becomes such a one note character, not evwn Dynaheir's death gave him a new personality layer .

Finally, Voghlin. He's just annoying .

Permidion_StarkQuartzJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
    @SCARY_WIZARD I agree that Eldoth and Coran are hateful , but for me it really depends on how I roleplay my protagonist . My female lawful good priestess of helm wouldn't keep them for a second, but my true neutral male illusionist was a bit more tolerant xD
    Permidion_StarkFenrirWolfganger
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I actually like the way Coran is done - incredibly annoying but also incredibly useful, so the dilemma is can I put up with his s*** to get a very effective party member or do I go for some less effective that is not a deadbeat dad?
    QuartzJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I actually like the way Coran is done - incredibly annoying but also incredibly useful, so the dilemma is can I put up with his s*** to get a very effective party member or do I go for some less effective that is not a deadbeat dad?

There needs to be a third option that involves illithid tadpoles.
    Balrog99DJKajuruFenrirWolfganger
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2019
    Ooh this is a great thread idea, nice work.

NPCs:

Drizzt. In the EEs they made him even more overpowered so I hate him even more. He's just not a fun addition--it's something for the people deep into the lore of Forgotten Realms to enjoy, and for everyone else to scratch their head at--especially if they try and fight him out of curiosity and get absolutely demolished for no reason other than "IT'S DRIZZT AND HE'S POWERFUL AND SO, SO COOL!" Give me a break.

@Permidion_Stark. Screw that guy. ;)
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Also the ToB big bad, I saw through the act immediately but had to sit through the whole game anyway
    Yeah, this.

Unshey and Zhurlong, who give you garbage quest rewards for retrieving valuable items. I never give them their stuff and rarely even bother to talk to them.

John Irenicus, who is basically evil just because he's throwing a very long, long temper tantrum. His voice acting is great, of course. Definitely not the worst villain ever, just not the best IMO.

Party members:

BG1 Jaheira. She's completely insufferable, bossy, and rude with zero redeeming qualities. In BGII they do a great job fleshing her out by maintaining her rigidity and bossiness while showing she actually is a human being with a heart, gasp! She's in my bottom three in BG1 and in my top three in BGII. Also a total MILF, sorry not sorry.

Eldoth Kron. Yeah, he's a douche with no real redeeming qualities, including stats, as others have stated. There's a great opportunity to make a properly scoundrel-yet-somewhat-charming character here, but BG1's dialogues were fairly limited so he just comes off as a jerk more than anything. There it is.

Minsc. Annoying as all hell and his one-liners are the bane of my existence. There is an odd insistence for pop culture communities to rally around a character or catchphrase despite said character or catchphrase being remarkably less witty than 90% of the other material... So "butt-kicking for goodness" becomes just as cringe-y as Rick and Morty's "I'M PICKLE RICK!" and Portal's "the cake is a lie," for instance. Also, BG1 Minsc comes off as Chaotic Neutral more than anything. He's actually Chaotic Good in BGII and is significantly better-written, I occasionally take him in my group in BGII while I tend to kill him on sight in BG1 (or rather, kill him when he attacks me for refusing to travel 80 hours to rescue some random mage).

Branwen. Just god damn annoying and cringe-y.

Hexxat. Annoying and the writers clearly wanted her to come across as hot shit. Her dialogues with the existing BGII NPCs reminds me of all the times youths/young adults write fan fiction of their favorite franchise, inserts their own Original Character(TM), and the OC proceeds to be a total badass and steal the show. It's just so bad.

BGII Dorn. Evil for the sake of being evil with no clear motivation, after being genuinely interesting in BG1, which makes it all the more upsetting.

Korgan. Pretty much just an edgelord.

Mazzy, who's kind of cringe-y and also treats Valygar like human refuse which turns my ambivalence into disdain.

Nalia. A very over-the-top social critique of being born into privilege. I don't take it offensively, it's just not pleasant. I mean, you're pretty much supposed to dislike her, right? Everyone in every party makes sure to tell you, so...
    Permidion_StarkJuliusBorisovFenrirWolfganger
    That multicoloured clown at the carnival drove me crazy as a kid.

I kept searching through all the dialogue options looking for one where I came out on top. What's that expression about trying to play chess with a pigeon or something? No matter what you do you look like an idiot when the pigeon just knocks all the pieces off the board.
    SCARY_WIZARDPermidion_StarkFenrirWolfganger
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Quartz If I recall correctly, in vanilla, Drizzt had a death effect on his attacks, so he would just instant kill you. I think the EEs taking that away and giving him the class allowed few cleric spells was more of a nerf than a buff. Armor of faith is much less cheesy than having a death spell tied to your sword.
    StummvonBordwehrFenrirWolfganger
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited August 2019
    Oh dear, what can I say about Coran (with the NPC project)... my current werewolf-themed party needed to get through the Cloakwood mines, and Imoen still didn't have her thief abilities back. They picked him up in Khalid's place, and what does he do? He starts hitting on my (female) protagonist. And he just ... won't ... stop. No matter how many times you reject him, he won't take no for an answer.
    All right, I'll still pick him up for the Brielbara quest. He needs to face some of the consequences for his actions.

I just thought of something... werewolf-themed party, protagonist is severely annoyed at Coran? His ending in BG2 will be so satisfying. Tsk, tsk. You shouldn't have gotten in the middle of a fight between two packs.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    DJKajuruSCARY_WIZARDFenrirWolfganger
    jmerry wrote: »
    Oh dear, what can I say about Coran (with the NPC project)... my current werewolf-themed party needed to get through the Cloakwood mines, and Imoen still didn't have her thief abilities back. They picked him up in Khalid's place, and what does he do? He starts hitting on my (female) protagonist. And he just ... won't ... stop. No matter how many times you reject him, he won't take no for an answer.
    All right, I'll still pick him up for the Brielbara quest. He needs to face some of the consequences for his actions.

As I said before, my impression of him is quite dubious. There's a friendship dialogue in cloakwood from the npc project that if you tell him that he's being immature and a douche he'll leave the party, and that's usually how I ponder if he fits my current protagonist or not, cause RPwise some of my Charnames would surely tell him to f**k off while others would tolerant his personality. From a tactical point of view he's an amazing npc to have around.
    FenrirWolfganger
    I've had trouble liking Coran since Siege of Dragonspear came out and he cheated on Safana. He's just a womanizing jerk.
    SCARY_WIZARDFenrirWolfganger