Skip to content

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D 5e OGL cRPG)

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    There are also no D&D games with psionics.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands had psionics. ;)
    GrammarsaladPsicoVicSorcererV1ct0rThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Four person parties and NO MULTICLASSING!? I think I'll pass on this one. Especially if they can't even implent all the core classes.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Looks like WotC gave then an license.

"Wizards of the Coast granted us a license to use the Dungeons and Dragons SRD 5.1 Ruleset!"

News > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2630193
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Four person parties and NO MULTICLASSING!? I think I'll pass on this one. Especially if they can't even implent all the core classes.
    They are adding in more classes through the KS campaign.
    Grammarsalad
    "We are committed in bringing the SRD 5.1 Ruleset to life on PC as faithfully as we can, with changes being limited to rules needing to be adapted for video games (exemple: Longbows would be able to hit targets from dozens of screens away). We are committed in bringing the SRD 5.1 Ruleset to life on PC as faithfully as we can, with changes being limited to rules needing to be adapted for video games (exemple: Longbows would be able to hit targets from dozens of screens away). " https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister

I strongly disagree. Even without mods to make nwn2 more pnp like, you can hit targets at 250 feet with Eldritch Spear, but could be worse. They could have said about missing or other "more core D&D aspect" that is present in adaptations since 1988...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    They stated that the rangers in Solasta do not have animal companions =( Kind of a bummer.

"Tactical AdventuresCreador
    hace 4 días
    Our Ranger archetypes don't have Animal Companions, but who knows what we could add in the future!"

"We are committed in bringing the SRD 5.1 Ruleset to life on PC as faithfully as we can, with changes being limited to rules needing to be adapted for video games (exemple: Longbows would be able to hit targets from dozens of screens away). We are committed in bringing the SRD 5.1 Ruleset to life on PC as faithfully as we can, with changes being limited to rules needing to be adapted for video games (exemple: Longbows would be able to hit targets from dozens of screens away). " https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister
    Told ya, they never use PNP full range in games, due to gaming reasons. =(

In the end Paladins won barely the poll.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2631542

Also, the fund is at 90%
    a075bab055024f8774c4addc0b1f449a.gif
    GrammarsaladBlades
    Over 92% funded and counting. And paladin wins the poll. But ranger was very close, so it's highly likely we'll eventually see ranger too.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    And still no word of Linux support... *sigh*
    Now that we have Pallys we need another caster class too to have more options for the party. Druid, warlock or bard will be welcome.
    Specially bards are VERY useful as party supporters in D&D 5e.
    Grammarsalad
    edited September 2019
    Now that we have Pallys we need another caster class too to have more options for the party. Druid, warlock or bard will be welcome.

Bards are useful as supports for big parties. IMO they would't be that useful on 4 party member game, IMO Warlocks and Druids would be better... While Druids are an "nature version of cleric", WLK are an "outsider version of the wizard"(don't ask me why so many people believe that WLK are clerics...)

I believe that WLK should be implemented because they never got adapted into an good adaptation.
    edit : will try bg with this mod > http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1233-warlock-mod-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-iwdee/
    Grammarsalad
    In the backer poll they asked for an optional additional choice of class, and I voted for bard in that.

I don't see how warlock brings anything significantly different from wizard. Druid at least has some meaningful differences from cleric, but again not sure if they are sufficient to justify that class in a 4-person party. Ranger actually would be the next best class to add.

Still waiting on them to answer my question about whether multiclassing will be in. If multiclassing is in, that would make a huge difference, and then some more specialized classes like warlock, sorcerer, druid, psionicist, monk, etc. would be good.
    PsicoVic
    edited September 2019
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I don't see how warlock brings anything significantly different from wizard. .

Eldritch Blast
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvignette3.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fforgottenrealms%2Fimages%2F5%2F54%2FArena_of_War_-_Spell_-_Eldritch_Blast.jpg%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20140528230009&f=1&nofb=1
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Eldritch_blast

Just kidding, things that WLK bring different than WIZARDS
    • Different cantrips
    • Invokations
    • Spells that he regain via short rest
    • Different dice pool
    • Different thematically
    • Spontaneous casting instead of memorized
    • Casting in armor
    • An "outsider" familiar(pseudo dragon, imp, etc)
    • Can be good at melee if you have pact of the blade

If an WIZ learn his magic from an material teacher, an WLK learn his magic from an outsider teacher, by bargaining with him for knowledge and "soul access" of their soul. Just like Druids are an "natureish" divine caster, warlocks are an "outsiderish" arcane caster... And it is so cool and allow for RP. For eg, an Fey could ask for completely different things to accept you as an apprentice than an human wizard... And your patron will probably have an "outsider moral"...

I have some critiques to 5e WLK, for eg, i rather have Eldritch blast as an class ability like 3.5e instead of cantrip and more invokations that change how the spell works like 3.5e, i also wanna have more iconic spells like chilling tentacles back. As for patron, i believe that some WLKs should be CHA based and some should be INT base. Depending if the WLK bargained with the outsider for power directly or for knowledge(was INT in play tests and they changed due player feedback - https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6oorux/warlock_casting_stat_int/)
    kanisatha
    edited September 2019

Wait, no duird or bard? And we got Paladin INSTEAD of ranger? What classes DOES this game have?

Wait, no druid or bard? And we got Paladin INSTEAD of ranger? What classes DOES this game have?

The classic poker: Fighter-Cleric-Mage-Thief (plus kits). And now the Pallys.
    edited September 2019

Wait, no duird or bard? And we got Paladin INSTEAD of ranger? What classes DOES this game have?

The most boring arcane caster, the most boring divine caster, the most boring martial class and most boring skill class that exists in adaptations since 1988(pool of radiance). Probaby Paladins will be in the game but i an not sure. I really wish that they have added less common classes from adaptations. My suggestions would be Warlock, Artificer, Druid and Monk.
    PsicoVicThacoBell
    Hey common on now, they've been very clear that they chose those four initial classes precisely because they are considered within the D&D system to be the "core" classes of the game. Then, they also clearly said that over the course of their KS campaign they will seek fan input on what other classes to add in. Their first instance of seeking out this fan input has now resulted in paladin getting added. Even before the poll results were in they said whichever one loses is NOT automatically eliminated from being added.

I would guess there will be at least four additional classes (besides the core four) in the game when all is said and done. Paladin is now one of them, and my guess would be ranger, druid, bard, sorcerer, monk as the other likely candidates.
    PsicoVicmodestvolta
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    My guess is they already planned on having more classes, but intended to have those “extra” classes as stretch goals. That way the stretch goals aren’t really adding more scope than the developers actually planned on, but would still drive backers to spend more. Then again, they haven’t revealed their stretch goals, so who knows!
    kanisatha
    @kanisatha Call me crazy, but I consider every single class in the core player's rulebook to be "core classes." You'll notice there's more than 4 *cough* five. I already got burned by Dragon Age with this.
    BallpointManDrHappyAngry
    Knights of the Chalice had only 3 classes and i bought the game and liked. Is not the best experience of my life, but was good...

Anyway, about new classes, i was suggesting Warlock and one of the reasons is that i wanna see how some invokations would work in a game with verticality. Fo eg

"Repelling Blast
    Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast cantrip
    When you hit a creature with Eldritch Blast, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line." source http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/warlock:eldritch-invocations

There are spells on Pathfinder Kingmaker like Tsunami that can push/pull enemies, but on a turn based game with verticality, it is completely different. For eg, be able to throw enemies into an pit, knock down enemies climbing, or even save your cleric from an sneak rogue... And of course, enemies should use it against the player.

This not mentioning Ascendant Step, Otherworldly Leap, etc that would be amazing in any game with verticality.

Artificer is another class that i wanna see, but is extremely unlike due the complexity on implementing...

Artificer is another class that i wanna see, but is extremely unlike due the complexity on implementing...
    And IIRC Artificer is from the Unearthed Arcana, I think they only have license for the core SRD ruleset from WoTC, but I agree it is a very interesting class.
    My guess is they already planned on having more classes, but intended to have those “extra” classes as stretch goals. That way the stretch goals aren’t really adding more scope than the developers actually planned on, but would still drive backers to spend more. Then again, they haven’t revealed their stretch goals, so who knows!
    Looks like their first stretch goal is a new starting background. They are using backgrounds in the game (for character creation), but with backgrounds including additional elements beyond what is in 5e, for example some dialog options and even side quests being specific to your character background, which then promotes repeat play of the game.
    Grammarsalad
    @kanisatha Call me crazy, but I consider every single class in the core player's rulebook to be "core classes." You'll notice there's more than 4 *cough* five. I already got burned by Dragon Age with this.
    I hear you, but WotC did declare those four classes to be the official "core" classes sometime during 3.5e just before the 4e transition. That's why they also had FR novel series released for those four classes: The Fighters, The Rogues, The Priests, and The Wizards.
    Grammarsalad
    edited September 2019
    I hear you, but WotC did declare those four classes to be the official "core" classes sometime during 3.5e just before the 4e transition. That's why they also had FR novel series released for those four classes: The Fighters, The Rogues, The Priests, and The Wizards.

That is strange. On pathfinder, there are 11 core classes ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ )

IMO this 4 classes are too generic.
    ThacoBell
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

I wonder if that is because they decided to leave some classes out of the PHB 1 for 4th edition? Easier pill to swallow, perhaps?

I could potentially be interested in this game, but unless all of the core classes are added and things like multi-classing are an option, then I'm afraid I wont take the plunge.
    ThacoBell
    edited September 2019
    ¡The game was founded!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2634697?fbclid=IwAR3OlgxXjzQFzPHjh6vVIHPDlb-FdG6oL3oNIYvtyccyg-JYXhIhrt4NzQY

Now they put some new stretch goals until the end of the Kickstarter (7days more). Sadly none of them are new classes: Includes new background, party banters, voice actors, etc.

I hope the game could be moddable to add new classes and races to the game.
    Grammarsalad

A lot of people was asking for multiclassing.

I care for consistency with rules, but multiclass in pnp is up to the DM decide if he allow or not. I allow if have an interesting story reason and the PC wanna build an interesting character. Eg, an fighter that got converted into an new religion and started to pray a lot can receive an cleric level, but if the PC wanna to multiclass only because "improve AC/improve BAB/ saves/etc", i would NEVER allow. A lot of DMs ban multiclassing by a reason. For each guy "i wanna build an interesting character consistent with his story and will multiclass", there are an army of munchkins> https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/706cp5/is_disallowing_allowing_multiclassing_bad_dming/

About pnp, at 4:55, the reporter asked what doesn't translated well to the game. He mentioned two things.
    • Not missing
    • Not spell slots
    • Not leveling

He mentioned stealth and ultra long range longbows...

The level cap will be 10 ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/d9jdj1/ama_we_are_tactical_adventures_developers_of/f1i56iv/ )

Like ToEE, but ToEE has Co8 mod who raises the level cap to 20.
    PsicoVic
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited September 2019
    ¡The game was founded!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2634697?fbclid=IwAR3OlgxXjzQFzPHjh6vVIHPDlb-FdG6oL3oNIYvtyccyg-JYXhIhrt4NzQY

Now they put some new stretch goals until the end of the Kickstarter (7days more). Sadly none of them are new classes: Includes new background, party banters, voice actors, etc.

I hope the game could be moddable to add new classes and races to the game.

Unfortunately, they have said that it is unlikely that mod support will be added (that's why I haven't yet pledged edit 2: I may pledge just to get ideas for bg and realms beyond mods, though).

Edit:

"We love Modding. We really do. However, we can't guarantee Mod Support for our first project, as it requires quite a lot of additional work.

That being said, we definitively want to adding Modding one day. Maybe as post-launch, maybe in our next game - but yea, Tabletop is all about Modularity and Community, so naturally we want our games to be the same."
    PsicoVic
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Should the game use the Unity engine, I'm guessing we could expect unofficial mod support via Unity Mod Manager. Just like in Pathfinder Kingmaker's case. No such luck if the devs are using Unreal tho.
    Grammarsalad