Skip to content

[MOD] Lefreut's enhanced UI (for BG1EE, SoD, BG2EE and EET)

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    beamdog really broke the ui when they changed it. they should have just left it alone but no they had to change everything. the journal is still broken btw beamdog.

i don't hate them i tend to prefer the ee to the originals heck nwn ee actually runs on my laptop unlike the original.

but they really should not have screwed with the ui that was fine. planescape torment ee and nwn ee are the ones they pretty much did not mess with [ altho i think the new ui they did for pst is better then the original as i was never a fan of that wheel thing.].

it just seems bad when modders have to fix the ui because you broke it. if anything modding the ui post 2.0 is now mandatory. but if you want to remove yours thats fine we have other ui mods to use.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    And how the UI were broken? I only noticed scroll tooltips lost theirs animation.
    the journal is my main beef with the new ui. the fact you need mods to make it so you can sort them is annoying and alot of quests don't get counted as finished even if you mod the journal. this is more a bg 1 issue.
    lefreut
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    lefreut wrote: »
    Yes it's sad that their shitty handling of these games made me quit modding. I regret spending hundred of hours fixing their broken UI for free.

I often think of completely removing my mods because I no longer want my work to be associated with them. And I'm not interested in any of their future games as I no longer think that they can deliver a good game.

So yes I don't see me working again on these mods in the future and I don't want anyone maintaining it either.

Thank you for the excellent work you did on this mod. And I understand your anger that you've invested so much time simply to fix the problems created by Beamdog.
    megamike15Etamin
    i'm kinda curious why beamdog wanted to change the ui with sod anyways. i see no real reason for it besides them wanting to make the text box able to hold 3 options and had no scrolling. and at that point why not just change the text box instead of the whole ui?

i sound like a broken record at this point but they had a perfectly fine ui with 1.3. it was usable and i see no reason why it had to be changed.
    Ravenslightleeux
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Yes it's sad that their shitty handling of these games made me quit modding. I regret spending hundred of hours fixing their broken UI for free.

I often think of completely removing my mods because I no longer want my work to be associated with them. And I'm not interested in any of their future games as I no longer think that they can deliver a good game.

So yes I don't see me working again on these mods in the future and I don't want anyone maintaining it either.

It's a shame you lost all interest in creating and maintaining mods for the BG/IWD community. I appreciate and thank you for all the hard work you have put into it, and I hope you find other projects to that scratch that particular itch for you!

I also understand your desire to take down your mods and request others not to maintain them, though I hope you will reconsider on these two choices. Creating/maintaining mods is not so much a service to the company that produced the game, as a service to the people using the game and installing your mod.

Every single person that downloads and installs your mod, and plays through the game using your mod is probably very thankful for you creating that mod (if they weren't, they wouldn't be using your mod). By taking down your mod, you don't really hurt Beamdog (who are apparently fine with having a totally crappy interface for their games), but the players that appreciate the mod (or would have potentially done so in the future).

In the end, it is your call. Whichever choice you make here, the community is already at a loss for losing such a contributing member, but one of the possible choices you make allows at least your Legacy to remain a positive beacon inside the community.

Fare thee well!
    megamike15Ravenslightleeux
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i sound like a broken record at this point but they had a perfectly fine ui with 1.3. it was usable and i see no reason why it had to be changed.

The great thing about the 2.0 update is the customization part! Thanks to the 2.0 update, we can have nice things like LeUI, Dragonspear UI++, and EEUITweaks, that would've been completely impossible without the 2.0 update.

There are a few sad things about this new customizable UI, though:

- It was used to create horrible default UIs. Kilivitz already made an extensive list a few posts up, so I'm not going to repeat any details here.
    - There were a few things in the old UI system that the new UI system failed to implement properly, such as Scrolling Tooltips, and Beamdog has refused to implement them in over 3.5 years.
    - There have been regressions since the 2.0 patch, and Beamdog has refused to fix them.
    megamike15lefreutRavenslight
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

The ui was fine but it was very hard to mod and maintain so a new ui engine was sensible. Sadly, like most of the things Beamdog has made, it starts with a good idea but ends with a terrible implementation, a big lack of polish, a lot of bugs and an abysmal support with almost no patching to improve the situation.

The key things they should have done were:
    1) Ensure that all features of the previous ui were still here. But this is not the case as some important features are no longer available
    2) Do not do any changes only for the sake of changing things. The fans have a lot of nostalgia. If you change something that is not a clear improvement, it will a lot of the time backfire. But no, they keep making pointless changes (and most of the time they managed to do worse than the original).
    3) For the screen you do not change, keep them pixel perfect identical. But no, a lot of screens have misaligned buttons.

RavenslightEtaminmegamike15
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2019
    @lefreut

Mate, I think you know by now that I'm probably the person who wrestles more with Beamdog around here.

Like you, I already thought about removing DoF entirely and flashing the middle finger to BD.

And as @Kilivitz I also struggle with people willing to argue in Beamdog's favor no matter what facts you choose - being offended by them too, with the moderation apparently turning a blind eye, as many of them are Beamdog unconditional supporters.

But in the end, I realized that removing DoF would do nothing to Beamdog but would affect people who really care for that mod and cherish it almost as most as I do.

That being said, I ask you to reconsider. I also would like to stress that I understand (and feel) your frustration and respect your decision.

Best,

Edit: Trying to avoid been banned as nothing would please more BD :)
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    megamike15lefreutRavenslightKamigoroshi
    i also have this feeling that 2.6 might be the last patch. due to the events with larian and bg 3 and beamdog wanting to do original stuff i would not put it past them to just do 2.6 and one final patch for pst ee.
    Kamigoroshi
    When they get their thumbs out of their *sses and finally release 2.6, I'll look to see how broken it is before I decide if I want to continue modding or not. So far every single patch contains at least one ui regression. And I'm tired of having to find bypasses for things that should work out of the box.
    Raduziel
    i also have this feeling that 2.6 might be the last patch. due to the events with larian and bg 3 and beamdog wanting to do original stuff i would not put it past them to just do 2.6 and one final patch for pst ee.

I'd be okay with that, if 2.6 fixed all the bugs they've introduced with their latest patches (Hello Pathfinding?), even if nothing else. At least we'd know "This is the end.", and move on. It's getting very tiresome when they keep making promises, and then those promises either take 2 years to get delivered, or are just retracted. Telling us "This is the final patch." would at least inform us "Okay, it's over and done now, this is what we get and this is what we have, and nothing else."
    RaduzielAntipatiko
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2019

I hope this is the last patch. I'm tired of seeing this franchise being messed up by Beamdog - I also just wish they fix the things broken by them.

Don't get me wrong, I love 90% of what Beamdog did with IWD/BG(2) - I can't ser myself playing the originals anymore - but I can't ignore the fact that they broke some things that used to work fine and it goes against any understanding I have about "enhancing" something.

And how they deal with those 10% really upsets me. I don't care for the major part of the UI issues but I do care - and a lot - about how BD treats those who care. Especially those who invested time pinpointing those issues and fixing them.

For free.
    megamike15Antipatikoleeux
    Thanks all for your support.
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Edit: Trying to avoid been banned as nothing would please more BD :)

Easy, you only have to say how great Beamdog are and how perfect their games are and you won't get banned...
    Raduzielmegamike15leeux
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2019

You mod is awesome. Hey 100s of hours to make broken games play better, and players appreciate it. Perhaps look at it that way - ur helping players like you who love the game, more than a company.
    leeuxRavenslightmegamike15
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Lefreut, I think your UI mod is great.

And I don't like when people say that Dragonspear is better than your mod, when it's all a matter of subjective feelings towards the UI themselves.

Both yours and Dragonspear UI are good. Thanks for all the work you've put into this mod.
    leeuxRavenslight
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    @lefreut
    Thank you for all of your hard work over the years, your time and effort is not lost on all of us!
    RavenslightBelegCuthalion
    edited November 2019
    Arthas wrote: »
    Lefreut, I think your UI mod is great.

And I don't like when people say that Dragonspear is better than your mod, when it's all a matter of subjective feelings towards the UI themselves.

Both yours and Dragonspear UI are good. Thanks for all the work you've put into this mod.

well really the main difference between the two uis is one is more vanilla and reverts what beamdog did. while the other is more modern and what beam dog should have done as it also fixes all the issues of the current ui. just pick your flavor.

there is no reason to use the original ui unless your really anti mod as i have said in the past the journal is a broken mess.

but beamdog has done some good the ee are much easier to mod we would not have stuff like dragonspear ui with out the 2.0 patch.
    Post edited by megamike15 on

I'm ok if people like Dragonspear UI mod more. It's a very good UI. And as you said, it subjective.

The thing I don't understand, is people who like the default UI, how can anyone like something so broken :p

You officially retired from making changes at this point Lef? If not I'll submit a small bug. If so, I'll leave you be. Thanks again for everything. :smile:
    Sounds good to me, in case you care to fix it:

qcljzkjaxbmk.bmp

See alignment of "Save" on Save Screen above. Unlike other screens (Load screen for example), the word "Save" appears out of place.
    lefreut
    I have no idea how this slip through my testing. It's ugly :|

This is definitively something that I will fix.
    NervaArthasHaHaCharade
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited November 2019
    Apart from me, did you receive any report about missing text from the people using your UI ?
    Apart from me, did you receive any report about missing text from the people using your UI ?

Sadly no. I don't know if nobody notice it or if you are unlucky and the only one experiencing this bug.
    Arthas
    edited November 2019
    I know I said I no longer do modding but it seems I'm weak. And contrary to Beamdog, I do care about my users. So I made a small release of all 4 of my UI mods.

This fix the text alignment problem that @HaHaCharade report (only happens with the BG1EE skin) and a few little fix that I have in store.

Changelog:
    * Reactivate highlight mode after loading save file if it was active there (BG1EE BG2EE SoD)
    * Fix item with one stack display
    * Fix confirm dialog mode
    * Fix Save text alignment (BG1EE)

Awesome! Many thanks. Do you mind re-posting the 4 download links? I think its on the first page, but I usually just get the BG1EE archive... its been a minute.