Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• gamegrillgamegrill Member Posts: 8
    Luke93 wrote: »
    gamegrill wrote: »
    Any idea what software is best on windows?
    Simply try with: right-click the folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder.

Ok wow you were right! I tried it with winrar and dropbox specifically (before was using email and google drive) and it WORKED! Ha I've been literally going at it all day! Yay!
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Sorry for the late reply. I am glad it worked out. I use win_rar as well. It has worked for BG Mods since 2003 for me

Lukes method is awesome, but you have to carefull to follow the steps minutely.

Btw Luke93. I can export my characters to IWD without a problem. Could there be another way around the IWD:ee import bug?

Subtledoctor and I tried pressing for a quick fix, but it didn’t go so well :o
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Could there be another way around the IWD:ee import bug?

Dunno....
    I mean, the extension .iwdoverride is recognized by the game, so, technically speaking, you should be able to install the mod files.... However, since .iwddata isn't recognized, you cannot import the corresponding textual parts... As a result, your game would be full of INVALID strings (for instance: "Invalid:32557").
    StummvonBordwehr
  • gamegrillgamegrill Member Posts: 8
    @Luke93 @subtledoctor have you guys managed to get EET working on iPad?
    gamegrill wrote: »
    @Luke93 @subtledoctor have you guys managed to get EET working on iPad?

Nope, sorry.... Actually, I've never tried it....
    Could there be another way around the IWD:ee import bug?

Dunno....
    I mean, the extension .iwdoverride is recognized by the game, so, technically speaking, you should be able to install the mod files.... However, since .iwddata isn't recognized, you cannot import the corresponding textual parts... As a result, your game would be full of INVALID strings (for instance: "Invalid:32557").

Hi Luke

thank you for the feedback, testing and insight. The iOS user who play IE games are truly great full for your work.

I have tried the invalid strings a few times. I can live with it in “minor” dialogue mods.
    I tried it and divined the answers and dialogue in the “Thalantyr item upgrade” that way... before its latest update.
    But I wouldn’t try it with shadows over Soubar, ascension or wheels if prophecy if you get my drift.

But I am planning on going for
    1) CD tweaks (no dialogue?)
    2) Scales of balance (minor dialogue)
    3) IWD unfinished business (minor dialogue)
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/quests/ub_iwd/ And
    4) House rules
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37290/house-rules-for-iwd-ee-iwdee-tweaks
    (Some dialogue).

How many game breaking invalid strings do you think I will run into?
    If you can give me a quick approximate assessment (5 seconds of thinking) on a scale from 1-10?
    10 is no problem that you can think off
    edited November 2019
    @StummvonBordwehr
    I've never used / don't know neither 'IWD unfinished business' nor 'House rules'...
    Anyway, if you don't mind missing strings, then yes, go ahead and install those mods using the extension .iwdoverride (I've never tested it, but it should work....)
    StummvonBordwehr
  • imp51096454imp51096454 Member Posts: 53
    Hello, can any one help me with this issue? (I have read the tutorial kindly provided by all of you. After importing a override folder which contains contents of some mods with additional area (in this case, white queen), the small icon in the world map becomes black. I have converted the corresponding files with A7-TextureConvert.a4mk948n735v.jpg

I encountered this issue in IOS device, iphone SE, BGII version 2.5, I have imported both override.bg2data and worldmap.bg2data, which have been attached.(In order to upload, the filenames' extension have been modified as .zip)
    edited November 2019
    @imp51096454
    • Did you run the converter on Windows? It's working only there as of now....
    • What option did you choose? Please, make sure to select #7 – "PVRTC 4bpp: Override files only (iOS recommended)"
    @Luke93

Thankyou for your kind reply

1. Yes, I run the converter on Windows 10
    2. I choose option #7, I also tried option #5, regretably, none of them could solve the problem :(
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited December 2019
    @imp51096454

That's weird.... I've never tried that mod, so I should probably do it... Just to clarify: are you referring to this mod, right?
    I tested just a couple of mods that add additional areas, namely: Southern Edge (it's by the same author of 'The White Queen') and Test Your Mettle. Both of these mods should work fine (i.e., I was able to access those new areas and the world map was not corrupt....)
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Luke93

Yes, it was white queen, I also tried several other mods from color infinity that adds new areas.

And, I also installed "Test Your Mettle" which worked fine. There is a little difference between "Test Your Mettle" and "white queen", the former does not add a new area icon in the world map whereas the latter does. So I was wondering whether the corruption was attributed to some files reside in "world map" folder, but it turned out that they were not accountable. :s

StummvonBordwehr
    Some mods, such as white queen, Eilistraee, and Innershade, contain entire new areas that are only reachable through icon in the world map (eg, after speaking to a kid in the government district, your world map will be updated, a icon representing umma hill will appear), whereas most mods contain certain NPC who can teleport your party to new areas.
    edited December 2019
    In summary, for me, all mods that adds new world map icon (white queen, Eilistraee, and Innershade) encountered corruption in the world map, other mods that add new areas worked fine, eg: Tower of deception (In this mod, a mage named Tian will teleport your party to the tower)
    In summary, for me, all mods that adds new world map icon (white queen, Eilistraee, and Innershade) encountered corruption in the world map, other mods that add new areas worked fine, eg: Tower of deception (In this mod, a mage named Tian will teleport your party to the tower)

I see.
    Well, try installing Southern Edge (it adds a new area to the world map) and see what happens (it definitely worked for me this one....)
    edited December 2019
    Thank you,@Luke93, I used texture converter to deal with the files of Southern Edge, and still, there was world map corruption, just as before. I was wondering whether I was following the right order:
    1,install Southern Edge, #2: don't patch the existing saving game
    2,run texture converter(#7 PVRTC 4pp, override files only)
    3,override file->no compression->override.zip->override.bg2data
    Worldmap file->no compression->Worldmap.zip->Worldmap.bg2data
    4,open foregoing bg2data files with BG2:EE(2.5.16, ios version, newly installed)
    5,restart game
    Post edited by imp51096454 on
    edited December 2019
    @imp51096454
    OK, it's getting weirder and weirder, the install order looks fine... I'll try all of that again once I have a chance....
    @Luke93 Thank you very much!
    edited December 2019
    @Luke93 Can you provide me with the texture converter please, I was wondering whether I was using the correct version :'(
    Besides, I am running the converter and compressing my override file in Window 10, and using a free compress software, do you have any suggested one?
    edited December 2019
    @Luke93 Can you provide me with the texture converter please, I was wondering whether I was using the correct version :'(
    Besides, I am running the converter and compressing my override file in Window 10, and using a free compress software, do you have any suggested one?
    1. You should be fine with the one linked in the first post of this thread...
    2. As far as the compression software is concerned, simply try with: right-click the folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder. Alternatively, try using win_rar.....
    imp51096454
    @imp51096454

So, I went ahead and installed Southern Edge, The White Queen, and The Ooze's Lounge.
    Started a new SoA game, everything seems to be working as expected – I traveled to those new areas via using the 'Clua Console' command MoveToArea("") and I noticed nothing strange / odd. Moreover, my World Map is not corrupted like yours (i.e., no black artifacts) and I can see The Southern Edge district icon in Athkatla), so you're definitely doing something wrong...

The compression method is probably the culprit here. Please try again using another software... Also, close the iOS app after each importation, i.e.: import override.bg2data, wait for the app to be responsive, then close it. Repeat the process for both lang.bg2data and Worldmap.bg2data.
    StummvonBordwehrimp51096454
    @Luke93 Thankyou very much, I have resorted to Win_rar as you suggested and everything work fine, I am enjoying the game now :#
    You are my hero, rejoice!
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
    @Luke93
    I dont know if we are all really side loading, but it seems to be the new black:
    https://beebom.com/how-to-sideload-apps-iphone-ios-10-without-jailbreak/
    Would sideloading allow for further alterations?
    @Luke93
    I dont know if we are all really side loading, but it seems to be the new black:
    https://beebom.com/how-to-sideload-apps-iphone-ios-10-without-jailbreak/
    Would sideloading allow for further alterations?

It doesn't seem to be relevant for our purposes (moreover, it refers to iOS 10....)

In my opinion, the DLC Builder is the only tool that could simplify / improve the whole process of importing the modded files....
    StummvonBordwehr
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
    Maybe worth mentioning in #8: as of at least MacOS Mojave and iOS 12 (which is what I am using at the moment) by far the easiest way to get the .zip archives with ".bg1data" or ".bg1override" etc. extensions from the Mac to the iDevice is to use AirDrop.

Done, thanks for the tip!
    @argent77

May I ask you to update your utility for converting PVRZ files with the latest version of PVRTexToolCLI? Everything should be fine now on Linux and macOS.......
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    May I ask you to update your utility for converting PVRZ files with the latest version of PVRTexToolCLI? Everything should be fine now on Linux and macOS.......

Done. Latest PVRTexTool release dropped 32-bit binary support, so it won't work on pure 32-bit operating systems anymore.
    StummvonBordwehr
    argent77 wrote: »

Done. Latest PVRTexTool release dropped 32-bit binary support, so it won't work on pure 32-bit operating systems anymore.

Thanks!

Did you perhaps add extra feedback messages?
    Converting MOS1295.PVRZ...
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Compressing...
    Saved texture to A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/MOS1295.PVR
    getFileExtensions: with.many.extensions.txt
    getLastFileExtension: txt
    stripFileExtensions: file_name
    stripLastFileExtension: file_name.with.many.extensions
    Copying and patching 1 file ...