Skip to content

Small mods you would like to see

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I would like to see a mod where Black Lily, the merchant in the Thieves' Guild decreases her prices as your reputation gets lower.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited November 2019
    I'd like to see more enemies bow out of battles that, mathematically speaking, they are going to lose. I.e, if the battle is going poorly, have them run rather than continue to blindly press forward. This might be reserved for the smarter enemies, leaving the rather stupid ones (kobolds, jellies, etc.) to continue pressing on even in light of ruinous damage or ridiculous odds.

Ideally this would turn the fleeing parties blue and stop current attacks, lest they end up like Tranzig in my current run. He opted to raise the white flag, but I'm guessing there were still some attacks in the queue and he went down anyway.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Apropos Thieves Guild: them backstabbers really need a Poison Overhaul mod. Not this magical poison spell-like ability nonsense currently in the game. But actual poison vials you purchase from shady vendors and then manually apply to weapons. With different poisons doing different things. The venom of a giant spider should have utterly different properties than the venom of a wyvern. Might just overhaul all venomous critters as well.

I was glad to see the the mod Song & Silence/ Rogue Rebalancing adds a few poison vials to Black Lilly's stock in the Thieves Guild. They can be used to poison weapons manually at least, for non assassin type thieves. Still, more variety would be nice, as you said, sort of like how the RR version of the bounty hunter uses poison that paralyzes foes instead of having them take damage.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    I had an idea for a new companion for BG1: a revenant! His goal is to get revenge on the man who punched him through a fence, choked him, and threw him off the Iron Throne building...

In case you ever get around to it, mind potential minor mod conflicts as the Sarevok's expanded diary part of the BG1 NPC Project gives that guy a name and describes him as a bhaalspawn (which of course it seems very likely that he is).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    JoenSo wrote: »
    I want a mod where Cohrvale's buddy Bregg survives. One of precious few characters in all of Amn who actually tries to de-escalate a situation before it turns violent.

Let us poor out a drink for the sanest man in Amn.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Party members can facestab too- AI thieves don't have to get behind opponents and I'd like to cut the micromanagement!

(This was a component of Bigg's Tweaks for the original game, don't think it's been updated for EE?)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2019
    I don't see why it couldn't work in EE. You'd just need to add an Assassination/"backstab every hit" effect while the user is invisible. It might make Improved Invisibility into Mislead in the sense that it could enable multiple backstabs, though, if it were not properly limited.
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    In the original IWD Improved Invisibility allows continuous backstabbing as long as you are positioned behind the opponent, although your opponent can fight back, and once they turn to face you the fun times are over.

I like to combine it with the Boots of Speed, and have my FMT nipping around the edges of combat dishing out disgusting amounts of damage.

In fact here's a mod idea: I'd like to see Improved Invisibility have the same effects in all the EEs as in the original IWD. It'd still be weaker than Mislead, since the latter doesn't allow the enemy to even fight back.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Stromael wrote: »
    @Kamigoroshi there's already an Item Randomizer mod which is pretty good! :)

I'd like to see an option in the Item Randomizer mod to also randomize the icon graphic associated with each item, such that you the player can't tell by sight what you've gotten.

It would definitely make cursed items a lot more interesting.
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    @Reticent it's already part of it! I fell foul of the Ring of Human Influence-shaped Discipliner on my first time with the mod. :D
    edited December 2019
    If it hasn't been mention, how about a mod that allows you to acknowledge that you never met Jaheira or Minsc in BG1, but still recruit them for BG2. From a RP standpoint, it was weird for my current PC when Jaheira went on about all their adventures together when she had literally never met her before. (She didn't speak to her at the FAI, and she disappeared sometime around chapter 5)

She actually DID speak to Minsc, but only to tell him that Dynaheir was free and wandering over yonder. Neither he, nor Dynaheir, were ever in the party.

Anyway, it would be great to have an RP option for people who didn't have the canon party in BG1/SoD. Especially since you don't have a lot of great options at first.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I fell foul of the Ring of Human Influence-shaped Discipliner on my first time with the mod. :D

In one of my mods I did something similar: I gave the Ring of Folly the icon of the Ring of Wizardry, and I replaced the ring under the rock at the Friendly Arm Inn with a Ring of Folly.

truc6gm0ajca.bmp
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    In one of my mods I did something similar: I gave the Ring of Folly the icon of the Ring of Wizardry, and I replaced the ring under the rock at the Friendly Arm Inn with a Ring of Folly.

Even Marquis de Sade would think you went too far there.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    I think it would be nice to be able to use cursed scrolls on opponents. I'd love to use the Cursed Scroll of Ugliness on some arrogant noblemen (or women).
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    and also reverse pickpoketing, like putting in the enemy's slots the cursed items you find in the drow town in bg2.
    Arvia wrote: »
    I think it would be nice to be able to use cursed scrolls on opponents. I'd love to use the Cursed Scroll of Ugliness on some arrogant noblemen (or women).

You can with the MEtweaks mod.
    Reticent wrote: »
    @Kamigoroshi there's already an Item Randomizer mod which is pretty good! :)

I'd like to see an option in the Item Randomizer mod to also randomize the icon graphic associated with each item, such that you the player can't tell by sight what you've gotten.

It would definitely make cursed items a lot more interesting.

What many roguelikes do is to have a set number of item descriptions and effects and then to randomise them each game. So that sparkling potion might be one of slowness or an antidote.

I rather like the Item Revisions approach of making cursed items useful with a drawback, it makes foe more interesting decisions.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Arvia wrote: »

I think cursed scrolls and cursed items should be worth a lot more as well. I some cases they are incredibly powerful magic items but are valued at next to nothing. Just because you wouldn't want to wear a Ring of Folly doesn't mean someone wouldn't be willing to pay a lot to possess one.

And it would make not selling them more meaningful. I always had my paladin drop cursed items in a temple instead of selling them and felt very honorable about it :wink: , but then I noticed they're next to worthless anyway.
    A small mod to correct the very minor dialog issues that prevent Jaheira from perfectly romancing either gender in BG2. Seriously, her romance could be fixed with about two altered lines and a patched romance check. For extra credit, slightly alter (and I do mean slightly) based on PC gender.

It seems like something that should take an afternoon, but it would fix a missed opportunity in the original game.
    i don't see the issue as in the original game jaheira romances only males.
    but it should be included as default in the mods that make her romance also females.
    That's the problem. Most only fix the gender check, but don't alter her dialogue. I'd like to see a Jaheira romance mod that fixes both.

Oh, and also let's you short circuit her initial dialog in ID when your PC never had her in the party in BG1. She goes on and on about your travels together while your PC is wondering who this person is!
  • Sir_GarrickSir_Garrick Member Posts: 32
    I have no idea if this would be a "small" mod. Probably not. But I always liked the idea of having Baldur's Gate be one giant interactive map rather than separated into nine smaller ones. Unrealistic probably, but still fun to think about.
    @Sir_Garrick
    something like the elder's scrolls world?
    at a first look it seems a great idea, thinking about it a little more, maybe is not so.
    because the FR based games and the ES ones are completely different, in the ES you have this giant map and particular maps for the dungeons, but the way the plot is based, way more open, even if there is a main plot, works perfectly with that setting.

in the FR games the plot is more linear, even if in soa you have a huge freedom in what quests do early or later, and the way the toons move trough the maps and the whole dimension of the world are completely different. the ES worlds are quite small, you can get an idea of how here
    https://obmap.uesp.net/
    is a map of ES 4 oblivion that works like google maps, if you scroll you see that there is only an illusion of a big world, but the truth is that the whole tamriel region is quite small and the "towns" are only little villages of few houses and roads, quite packed together. but if works great for that game.

a similar setting in the FR games would mean to wait forever as the party goes from a place to an other, some players can not even stand how slow they move inside the actual maps and use intensively ctrlY or give them boots of speed, imagine to have to wait much more when they travel let's say from trademeet to the umar hills, without anything that can really happen as they are walking by.
    while in the ES there are a lot more random encounters with bandits and monsters, the dungeon respawn so you can drop in an already explored one to fight more enemies and get more xp and loot and due to the different progression system there are anyway things you can do as you are traveling, like, jump, run or cast to rise your skills levels.
    and even if the pathfinder in EE works better then the original one it would be far from prefect, imagine how could happen in such a big map.

also i see a problem for modding the game, in the FR worlds, at least in SoA, there are some quest mods that use their own maps, but it would be much more complicated to modify the only big map for that, much more chance that 2 different mods modify the same areas and overlap.

even if also i in the past had your same wish about a big world map the only thing positive i can think about it, after reasoning a little more about it, would be less "you must gather your party..." occurring. and there is still a mod to avoid it ;) .
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    But physically all maps van be concatenated into one big map and the roads and cities just continue almost flawlessly.
    true, but with the cities packed together, trademeet right next to athkatla's gate, d'arnise keep just near by and umar hills right at a 2 min walk from the druid's grove.
    it can be done, but it would imo break the immersion and make feel the region in which we live our adventures so small.
    in the elder's scrolls, even if the region is much smaller then how it seems playing, there is the illusion of a large area to explore, in our games, that are different as are isometric and created to work with areas far each one from the other, that illusion is not possible or at least not easy to obtain.

athkatla itself is not designed to work in that way, is not possible to pack together the different areas in it without re working them completely or without the creation of a much larger area in which the routes that connect the different areas are created.
    and in both the cases the town would become large as, if not larger, then the whole amn that surround it, as there are roughly as many areas in the town as outside it.
    maybe for other games, let's say bg, the thing would work better, but i see a lot of work for almost nothing if not a game that becomes worst, as the illusion of playing in a large world would be lost.

and this is only my personal opinion, if some other players like the thing i don't have any problem, even if i suspect that no modder would be interested in spending his time and effort in such mod.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Hmmm. I was only talking bg1 in this but I failed to specify. Bg2 indeed is not designed that way.