Skip to content

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    mlnevese
    edited October 2022
    mlneveseWarChiefZeke
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Tetris ? Tetris !
    [Deleted User]mlneveselolien
    edited October 2022
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195

Just going to leave this here...

https://youtu.be/5B0srsB0n3g

[Deleted User]
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited August 2019
    This music is just fascinating. It's based on the folk song "Scarborough Fair".

Civilization VI - England Theme - Industrial Era

Montresor_SPmlneveseJoenSo[Deleted User]
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    I'll add some of my favorites:

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption - this one had that perfect fit dark atmosphere both in the dark ages as well as in the present day London and NYC. Priceless.

Unreal Tournament - adrenaline boost like no other.

System Shock 2 - if I ever get stuck alone on a giant spacecraft in the vast universe, I want a copy of this one with me just to accelerate my spiraling downwards into oblivion.
    mlnevese[Deleted User]
    edited October 2022
    mlnevese
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Oooh, this thread exists! But I can't really name a favourite video game soundtrack; there's tons of tracks from all manner of different games that I love across the decades from the 80's till now. :/
    mlnevese[Deleted User]
  • TrauerweideTrauerweide Member Posts: 27
    I am totally in love with SNES music. There are too many good tracks... but some which I adore the most are:

Terranigma
    Secret of Evermore (the first official work of Jeremy Soule and his brother when he was 18)
    Plok
    Donkey Kong I + II
    Waterworld
    Chrono Trigger
    FFVI, FFVII
    Ice Wind Dale I + II
    Dungeon Siege 2
    Morrowind TESIII (lots of the themes were used in Oblivion and Skyrim)
    Diablo 2

Well really there are just too many awesome tracks.

I love game music and listen to it daily and while working. Now I work in homeoffice but earlier I was working in a usual office job, and always when collegues entered my room they adked me what the hell I am listening, and I told them proud - to the tracks of my childhood ;) !
    [Deleted User]WarChiefZekeZaxareslolien
    edited October 2022
    Trauerweide
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2019
    As my top favorite I'd have to go with Divinity's music by Kirill Pokrovsky, it has so so many good tunes and amazing compositions, the breadth and quality is impressive.
    This is 7hs video containing most of the tracks from all games since Divine Divinity to Original Sin. It helped me with my work days many many times :)

There are so many of the songs that I could highlight from this one, that I won't... I'll just mention as my favorites some of them:
    * Track 3 - Anirban Encounter 3
    * Track 15 - Mysterious Guest,
    * Track 33 at 1:26:33 aka "character creation song"
    * Track 99 - Combat Theme aka Battleforce

Divinity Original Sin - Full Tracklist

Close second for me comes Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria's music by Motoi Sakuraba, all of the songs are amazing works of art like the game.

Playlist follows:
    Highlights of my favorites among the tracks in the playlist:
    [Deleted User]
    @typo_tilly yes white castle is great! One of my favourites together with queen bluegarden.

Waterworld was not a great game it was mediocre. I did not own it either. They had it as a demo version in a supermarket and when my parents were shopping there I was playing or watching other kids play it ?... oh man this happened about 24 years ago... sweet childhood.
    [Deleted User]
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2019
    Gatekeeper, from the hidden gem (that is inferior to the original) Jade Cocoon 2. It gives me a "predator on the hunt" kind of vibe, fitting for the game itself.

Also the theme for the Fiends of Nocturne. Feels suitably epic for the world shaking events of SMT.

Chrono Cross is a musical masterpiece in general, but Dreams of a Shore deserves mention.

mlnevese[Deleted User]Trauerweide
    I am totally in love with SNES music. There are too many good tracks... but some which I adore the most are:

Terranigma
    Secret of Evermore (the first official work of Jeremy Soule and his brother when he was 18)
    Plok
    Donkey Kong I + II
    Waterworld
    Chrono Trigger
    FFVI, FFVII
    Ice Wind Dale I + II
    Dungeon Siege 2
    Morrowind TESIII (lots of the themes were used in Oblivion and Skyrim)
    Diablo 2

Well really there are just too many awesome tracks.

I love game music and listen to it daily and while working. Now I work in homeoffice but earlier I was working in a usual office job, and always when collegues entered my room they adked me what the hell I am listening, and I told them proud - to the tracks of my childhood ;) !

You have some excellent taste in music there. :D

I also find game music excellent for background music when I'm working or writing, because they usually have little or no lyrics, and I'm the kind of person for whom as soon as I hear words, my brain starts trying to "follow the conversation" which breaks my concentration.

In the spirit of the thread, I'm going to post some of my favourite tracks from some of the above games:

Trauerweide[Deleted User]lolien
    Haha thank you and the same back to you!

What I forgot and it has to be mentioned - Arcanum. Such an awesome music made by a quartet of strings. Top notch ?
    edited October 2022
    mlneveseZaxares
    edited November 2019
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    Mario 64: Dire, Dire Docks. :)

I've never played Mario 64, but that sounds far too tranquil/contemplative for someplace named Dire Docks. XD Excellent track though!

Today's offering - Starfox: Corneria

I actually never managed to get into Starfox, but I did always think that the music for the game was nothing short of stellar. :)
    mlnevese[Deleted User]

Playing Star Ocean: First Departure R on the Switch. And I don't regret the purchase one bit. :smiley:
    mlnevese
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Somewhere along the line the last few years, I think "video game music" somehow became my favorite genre, so to speak. There is so much of it that is just transcendent, and is even more impressive because it had to be made specifically to mesh and blend with images, settings and moods in the game worlds they accompany. So many great tracks already posted, but.......this game has always been ground zero for me, and I'll never forget how this opening enthralled me at 10 years old:

mlneveseBillyYank
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Hyper lighter drifter has a pretty good OST.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    As much as I love the Monkey Island theme, 10 hours of it would drive me insane :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Somewhere along the line the last few years, I think "video game music" somehow became my favorite genre, so to speak. There is so much of it that is just transcendent, and is even more impressive because it had to be made specifically to mesh and blend with images, settings and moods in the game worlds they accompany. So many great tracks already posted, but.......this game has always been ground zero for me, and I'll never forget how this opening enthralled me at 10 years old:

Same here. I have soundtracks to games I've never played and anime I've never watched.
    mlnevese
    BillyYank wrote: »
    Same here. I have soundtracks to games I've never played and anime I've never watched.

I don't know if I'd consider it a "genre", but yeah, I have more video game soundtracks in my music collection than actual music. :P (Seriously, I think it's like a 90%|10% ratio!) I find video game music to be excellent for background music when working or writing because of the lack of vocals; whenever I start hearing somebody singing my brain will automatically start trying to "follow the conversation", which breaks my concentration.

Today's offering - One of my favourite tracks from one of my earliest favourite games:

I think that Golden Axe was the very first game that I ever played at an arcade, and it made a permanent impact on me with regards to my love for both fantasy and gaming. :)
    mlnevese
    Frostpunk Main Theme

Just amazing. It's so sad, yet so beautiful. Debussy vibes. I like it.
    Kamigoroshi

Mikhail Kotov — The Fifth Crusade (Wrath Of The Righteous Music Theme)

Can someone pick up my jaw for me? I think I dropped it on the floor somehwere... :dizzy:
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Some more Monkey Island, with a nice cover of the Scumm bar theme.
    mlnevese

VirtuaVerse gotta be the indie game with the best music of video game history in 2019. Dang am I looking forward it!

Had to quoted myself on this yesterday released indie game: 80's Synthwave mixed with Metal? Nothing short of bloody genius!
    Folks can also go grab the OST for literally $1 over at bandcamp! Worth. Every. Cent.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Been listening to this a lot lately. I know JRPG sounds tracks are hit and miss in this community, but Persona 5's OST is absolutely superb. Perhaps one of my favorite in the last 10 or 15 years.
    mlneveseRik_Kirtaniya
    Hollow Knight OST - Dirtmouth
    Christopher Larkin

Darkness, peace, memories... this soundtrack is enchanting, it feels I can escape into a lost world of seclusion and solitude.
    JoenSomlnevese