Skip to content

Why AAA industry get away with DECLINING/dumbing down but smaller studios fails when dumb down their

2»

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited January 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Why games often offers LESS stuff than previous ones?

I an not talking about dumbing down the character progression into a barbie dressing game, i an talking in stuff to use. Morrowind to Oblivion = No polearms, no levitation, no mark/recall, no spellmaking, no crossbows(...) Even games that aren't much dumbed down suffer from it. Compare how many magical effects exists on Gothic 1 with Risen1.

With all other types of software, newer versions most times offers way more options.

Alot of stuff has been pruned away from certain RPGs because it's essentially worthless. You could name at least a dozen spells in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 that are only in the game because they are in the sourcebooks for 2nd Edition. And I don't object to it, even if only for the flavor text. But has anyone ever used Goodberry for anything??

Sorry but polearms are not useless. Levitation is not useless. Mark / recall is not useless. Attributes are not useless. Detailed reputation system is not useless (...) on Morrowind. To be fair with skyrim, Vampire Lord form was amazing. Some shouts that stop time, disarm the enemy, etc is also amazing...

On Gothic to Risen, the same thing. Risen 1 has way less spells than Gothic 3.

Only looking to WATER MAGIC. Hailstorm is not useless. Summon Goblin, Summon Golem, Ice Explosion, Sleep, Tame Animal(that at high AK can even tame shadowbeasts), Ice Lance, Ice Explosion, Frostwave, etc are not useless.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    alot of what people call dumbing down i call streamlining. there is no reason for every weapon to be it's own separate skill imo. so i have no issues for when a games just merges them all into a single skill. like for example in mass effect 1 every single gun is it's own skill but i only put points into shot guns as they are op in that game. making the rest pointless

Not one skill for each weapon. But see Fallout New Vegas. Has by far the best gun mechanics that i saw in a RPG.

WarChiefZeke
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    before 3/ new vegas small guns and big guns were separate skills. they were combined because of my reasoning.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I an not talking about dumbing down the character progression into a barbie dressing game, i an talking in stuff to use. Morrowind to Oblivion = No polearms, no levitation, no mark/recall, no spellmaking, no crossbows(...) Even games that aren't much dumbed down suffer from it. Compare how many magical effects exists on Gothic 1 with Risen1.

With all other types of software, newer versions most times offers way more options.

It's a different market. Professional software (like say photoshop) needs to attract a different kind of client than a video game company appealing to the broader market.
    WarChiefZeke
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Alot of stuff has been pruned away from certain RPGs because it's essentially worthless. You could name at least a dozen spells in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 that are only in the game because they are in the sourcebooks for 2nd Edition. And I don't object to it, even if only for the flavor text. But has anyone ever used Goodberry for anything??

I have used it in BG1 many times. First because your 10 hp mage may suffer 4 damage and you don't want to waste that cure light wounds on him , second because I'm the kind of player who avoids having the party rest at inconvenient places , so every pinch of healing counts when you run out of potions and other spells.
    Balrog99BelgarathMTHMathsorcerer
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    @jjstraka34 I have little interest in open world timesinks, but I am seriously considering buying Skyrim just for this mod (Enderal) - tha trailers on youtube look great. Since you seem to have liked it, how would you say it compares to the IE/NWN experience? I am especially wary of the twitchy TES combat...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited January 2020
    Isewein wrote: »
    @jjstraka34 I have little interest in open world timesinks, but I am seriously considering buying Skyrim just for this mod (Enderal) - tha trailers on youtube look great. Since you seem to have liked it, how would you say it compares to the IE/NWN experience? I am especially wary of the twitchy TES combat...

I mean, it you struggled with Skyrim, Enderal is tuned to be way harder. The combat mechanics are generally the same, they can't do anything about the engine. What's different are the spells and RPG elements.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I swear this ius like the 10th type of topic like this I remember seeing here.

Companies make different things and people like different things. There are people who hated BG triology and refuse to play it but do like skyrim and visa versa.
    Ayiekie