Skip to content

Dorn speaking to Taris does nothing

Though I have owned the EE for a while now, I cannot usually bring myself to play with evil NPCs. However, I wanted to try out Dorn's quest, and I am quite enjoying my Darkmoon monk party (yes, I am a glutton for punishment). I have spent months in game time and more than 10 hours of real time since Dorn joined my party, but he has been completely silent. Speaking to Taris also does nothing. Something must have glitched when he joined.

I've checked EEKeeper and the global variables that have "Dorn" in them are DORNEXISTS, DORNPARTY, DORNPLOT and DORNTIMER1. The first three are on 1, the last one is on 1593817.

Under local variables I have OHDORNSW at 15, and BDAI_INIT_NPC, BD_JOINXP, BDAI_DISABLE_ITEMS, OHDSW3 & HASBEENINPARTY all at 1.

Could someone check an old save of just after Dorn joined, so I can add some of Dorn's parameters? Or, alternatively, tell me something else I could do so I could experience this quest once for myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Try zipping and attaching your save to the comment so that we could load and look.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    as far as i remember, its actually not necessary for Dorn to speak to her

although i forget why you need to in the first place because i recall doing so a long time ago

it also could be because i think she is the one that tells you to go east of nashkiel mines to find that necromancer woman ( forgot her name, which is bad because i just did this quest like 2 days ago )

another thing that might be screwing it up is that if you already been there done that, then there is nothing for Taris to say to you?

plus all you need is that letter from the necromancer woman to have that fight by the bridge so Taris isn't even necessary

• RavellionRavellion Member Posts: 4
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    as far as i remember, its actually not necessary for Dorn to speak to her

although i forget why you need to in the first place because i recall doing so a long time ago

it also could be because i think she is the one that tells you to go east of nashkiel mines to find that necromancer woman ( forgot her name, which is bad because i just did this quest like 2 days ago )

another thing that might be screwing it up is that if you already been there done that, then there is nothing for Taris to say to you?

plus all you need is that letter from the necromancer woman to have that fight by the bridge so Taris isn't even necessary
    I looked up the necromancer's (Kryll) position on a wiki, went there, and the place is empty. I've attached my save, I really appreciate the help. I have used the item randomization mod and a few minor tweaks from the tweak pack, so I hope that isn't an inconvenience.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I see the problem. When you were waylaid by Senjak and Dorotea, you failed to kill one of the bandits that was with them (must have gotten scared and ran out of sight). You then likely spoke to Dorn yourself, thinking the fight was over, instead of waiting for him to talk to you. In order for Dorn's plot to advance you need to kill all 4 hostiles in that encounter, Senjak, Dorotea, and the two bandits. Once this is done, the DORNPLOT variable gets set to 2 and he approaches the party to offer to join.

Long story short, the DORNPLOT variable needs to be set to 2 for you to advance. You can accomplish this yourself by going back to that ambush area and killing the bandit (travel between Nashkel and the mines until you get waylaid by hobgoblins; the bandit will be there too). You can also get there with the following code:
    C:MoveToArea("oh1000")

Once that bandit is dead, Dorn should automatically talk to you about Kryll.

You can also set the DORNPLOT variable to 2 manually with the following code, (this requires you to manually speak to Dorn with the talk button, as he will not initiate dialog automatically for some reason):
    C:SetGlobal("DORNPLOT","GLOBAL","2")
  • RavellionRavellion Member Posts: 4
    Tresset wrote: »
    I see the problem. When you were waylaid by Senjak and Dorotea, you failed to kill one of the bandits that was with them (must have gotten scared and ran out of sight).

Once that bandit is dead, Dorn should automatically talk to you about Kryll.
    This is exactly what happened! Thank you! He immediately talked to me. I then went to Kryll and ran into this bug:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72115/dorn-is-stuck-in-dialogue-mode

But thankfully the fix there worked as well.