Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I hope it's a game about a dog shooting lazzerz
    StummvonBordwehrmonico
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I hope its an isometric rpg that uses real time with pause and set in Beamdog's own new universe.
    MirandelkanisathaAciferWarChiefZeke
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Whatever happened to Axis & Allies?
    MERLANCE
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Axis & Allies?

It's up and running in Early Access. Check out the stickied thread about it.
    Balrog99
  • Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 179
    Is the new game D&D, an RPG, or anything along these lines?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I really hope it's a D&D-esque isometric RPG (less the copyrighted elements) that provides all the fun of BG, but without the draconian oversight and canon-protection of WoTC. I would love to see an all-original game in the vein of SoD where the beginning and ending aren't already set in stone.

I could see the potential in SoD, but realized that a lot of freedom was lost by making it an interquel in an existing franchise. I would love to see what that team could do without those constraints.
    ThacoBellAcifer
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Honestly, the best news I could get from Beamdog at this point is that their new game is very much in the spirit of classic RPGs but is nothing like D&D. I for one have had enough of D&D game mechanics.
    KamigoroshiSkatan
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Honestly, the best news I could get from Beamdog at this point is that their new game is very much in the spirit of classic RPGs but is nothing like D&D. I for one have had enough of D&D game mechanics.

Heretic !!!!! :open_mouth:
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090

Might I ask why? The mathematical core of D&D makes it easy to develop solid strategies for playing, and once understood, make it a much more tactical game.
    Maurvir wrote: »

Might I ask why? The mathematical core of D&D makes it easy to develop solid strategies for playing, and once understood, make it a much more tactical game.

There's just too much to cover but I'll mention just three things: one, it relies too much on random chance/dice rolling; two, increasingly combat has become what the game system is about rather than roleplaying; and three, the lame and irrelevant excuse TB fans constantly bring up that because the PnP game is TB so must also be any and all of its videogame translations.
    Mirandel
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i don't understand why beamdog does not just test creating an original dnd game by making a premium module in nwn ee themselves.
    WarChiefZeke
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Does nwn still attract new players?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/cancellation-of-international-conferences-over-coronavirus-disrupts-edmonton-businesses/ar-BB10EMuQ

"The Game Developers Conference in San Francisco was also cancelled amid coronavirus worries.

Beamdog CEO Trent Oster and his CFO had been scheduled to attend the conference but decided Friday morning to cancel their trip.

“We were weighing the, 'OK, we attend, what’s the positive outcome? We attend, what’s the worst-case scenario?' And we just judged it just wasn’t worth it,” Oster said.

The conference was called off hours later.

“I think it was a good call. When I heard they had cancelled it, I was like, 'It makes a lot of sense.' Half of the speakers had expressed concern, a lot of them had pulled out,” Oster said.

He said the conference’s cancellation will have a business impact: the company had roughly 12 business meetings set up during the conference.

“It basically is a chance that we’re going to miss to meet those people face to face and essentially establish a little bit deeper relationship with them,” Oster said."
    mlneveseAciferThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The world is just hitting pause in real time when it comes to these decisions. Once the pause is over, a strategy will be devised on how to best move forward.

It's not the end of the world that all these conferences and exhibitions are getting cancelled. Projects are still a go.
    Sjerrie
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited April 2020
    "Beamdog is currently actively developing its own original game and there are about half a dozen other potential concepts the team is working through."

https://edmontonglobal.ca/trent-oster-chief-executive-officer-and-co-founder-video-game-company-beamdog/

If it's not a modern take on Gold Box games, can you persuade Trent to make one? =)

I just played them on GOG during self-isolation and found out they're still magical. Even with the awkward AD&D rules. The limited visual presentation fuels your imagination like AAA 3D rendering never could. It's more like reading a book, and the 2D tactical grid combat is fun. A new 5e gold box style game in 2D would be amazing.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2020
    Aerie wrote: »
    Why don't Beamdog just give me my own spin off, already?

Aerie's Gate: the Quest for the Regeneration Scroll... I'd play that :)
    Aerie
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    https://www.eurogamer.de/articles/elf-jahre-beamdog-befreiungsschlag-baldurs-gate-warum-zukunft-awesome-wird-artikel-feature-interview (with Google Translate)

"The studio is currently working on a new project, which Oster vaguely calls "The Awesome," and the team is expanding Axis and Allies 1942 Online. The focus is on expanding the studio "to do bigger and better things," while existing games continue to find support."

"What's the future like?
    Oster does not rule out that Beamdog will process other classics in the future. "There are some great games out there that deserve a little attention," he says. At the moment, however, the studio's focus is on developing new projects and brands. "We develop new skills and learn as a studio. That allows us to strive for more and implement more interesting concepts than we have been able to do before. The future will be a lot of fun."

Oster does not see Beamdog as the trigger or pioneer of a trend in terms of remaster. At the same time, he is convinced that this trend will not go away anytime soon. "Nostalgia is a strong feeling and with a remaster, people are able to experience games they love in new ways. They also deal with compatibility or performance issues, so they can play it over and over again. It means that new games take a little more effort to stand out and create meaningful connections with the players."

Modernizing the Gold Box games would be something I'd be very interested in. Beamdog - take my money now!
    StummvonBordwehr
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The Awesome does not quite narrow it down...
    kanisatha
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It is clearly a secret code. If we translate each letter into numbers we get 1, 23, 5, 19, 15, 13, and 5. All of my years as an adventure gamer tell me that this may very well be the combination of a hidden stash or safe inside their studio. What's next is simple: someone just has to find it, crack it and replace the content with a three-headed monkey plushie.

They will be none the wiser. :smirk:
    ThacoBellmlnevesekanisatha
    edited September 2020
    Well we know it's awesome so it must be a gazebo... :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It is clearly a secret code. If we translate each letter into numbers we get 1, 23, 5, 19, 15, 13, and 5. All of my years as an adventure gamer tell me that this may very well be the combination of a hidden stash or safe inside their studio. What's next is simple: someone just has to find it, crack it and replace the content with a three-headed monkey plushie.

Assuming no one in the office checks the forum :)
    mlnevese
    elminster wrote: »

Gotta hide trees in a forest and posts on a forum and all. No one expects the obvious. :no_mouth:
    mlneveseelminster

It's also a good way to be arrested :)
    edited September 2020
    elminster wrote: »

Well shouldn't they ALL be working hard on "The Awesome"?!

Sidenote: I will be bitterly disappointed if the game's name ends up not being "The Awesome."
    mlneveseBlackbɨrdThacoBellBalrog99
    mlnevese wrote: »
    It's also a good way to be arrested :)
    It's but an occupational hazard for the Thief class. Nothing to worry about.
    Sidenote: I will be bitterly disappointed if the game's name ends up not being "The Awesome."
    As another sidenote: if it turns out the Awesome is a RPG with superheroes as its main plot... I will do something veeery supervillian-like to the persons responsible for birthing such an abomination. :p
    mlnevesekanisatha
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Hear me out. If you mix some of the letters around in ''The Awesome'' you get ''MOW''. The letter ''M'' could stand for Mice. Mice.

Beamdog's next game is about mice! You heard it here first.
    Kamigoroshidunbarmlnevese
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    You can also make "MEOW" so it could be about cats and mice.
    mlneveseBlackbɨrd