Skip to content

[v1.61] Drake, a human priest of Tyr NPC for BG:EE and SoD

Comments

• KeiawynKeiawyn Member Posts: 8
    Skitia wrote: »
    I would check:
    That reputation is 10 or higher.
    That Global("C0DrakeMatch","GLOBAL") = 1
    That you didn't tell him to stop talking.
    And that Global("C02DrakeRomance","GLOBAL",0) is greater than 1.If that's all true you should be fine.

There is no journal entry created by the mod for the quest (Though @AionZ might want to consider adding one.) I think there could be one more romantic talk added to, so a players get some clue in that they are progressing.Their is a bit of a pause until the end of chapter 11, which can make someone uncertain what the state of things are.

Thanks!! I think all of those variables are fine, but if not I will edit them.

I am more concerned about his quest - I'm assuming it's basically "his" quest for SoD, and I have to complete it in order to progress his romance? I can wander through every inch of the areas around the Coalition Camp but I don't know if it's a timed quest or not and I don't want it to expire (ie. make Drake leave or break the romance). I remember I have to look for missing supplies, but without a journal entry I don't remember any other details about where to go or what to look for. :/
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    The quest has no bearing on it, according to the mod's code.
    Keiawyn
    Good to know. Thanks!!
    edited February 2020
    I am actually confused about Drake's quest for the supplies, though - I can't find them. I've wandered around all the areas around the Coalition Camp. I guess if the quest isn't necessary it's not a huge deal, but I'd love to be able to complete it . . .
    Edit: Never mind. 30 seconds later I found it. Haha. Their area randomly appeared when I headed for Dragonspear Castle. :)
    edited February 2020
    Sorry, now I'm confused all over again. :( I got what I think is Talk #8 (humour in Hell, and "Drake are you falling in love with me?") and then Romance Talk #3 (when he gave me his locket), but that was it. Nothing else after defeating Caelar & co and getting back out of Avernus. I offered up my own soul to the demon (instead of anyone else's), tried to redeem Caelar, was cheered by the masses and then tried for murder and set free, but then I got outside with Imoen and was told Drake had left.

I don't think talk #9 triggered - it looks like the last talk in the dialogue file.
    I checked my variables, but the game told me "C02DrakeLastTalk" didn't exist. So I set it to 2, and still got nothing. My "C02DrakeRomanceActive" was set to 2. I even went back before the final battle and replayed it to see if I'd missed something.
    Is there not supposed to be any sort of ending with Drake after we get back from Avernus? The last talk isn't the locket talk, is it? I thought there should have been a romance chat during the celebration.

Edit: I am using v1.51 I think. There isn't a more recent version, is there?
    (I am really loving Drake as a character, btw. <3 Really well written! I would love to see BG2 content eventually :) )
    Post edited by Keiawyn on
    Wise_Grimwald
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the quest is a random encounter if i remember right. both drake and aura have issues in sod that aion has still not ironed out so you may run into issues.
    Thanks! Yeah I really like Drake as a character, but was a bit surprised by how little he spoke in SoD. Sirene was far more talkative, and so was Aura! In fact I had to tell Aura to shut up because her mod glitched and kept repeating dialogue every 5 seconds. The Drake mod seemed to behave for the most part, but there wasn't nearly as much content and without a journal entry it was kind of unclear how to complete it.
    I guess if a Drake BG2 mod ever becomes reality we'll get more opportunity to chat with him. :) I suppose SoD was only meant to be the *start* of a romance with him. I do really like the writing for him in terms of friendship content! He's a really well written character!
    edited February 2020
    You can always manually talk to him after setting Global("C02DrakeLastTalk","GLOBAL",2), that should trigger it as long as nothing before it is also valid, but you're right in that there was supposed to be a chat there. It's not romance dependent, it fires even for non-romances.

For the last one to fire, the trigger would be
    GlobalGT("bd_plot","global",590) (So I would see where it is at).

My playthrough with Drake is still in BG:EE, so I'll see if I get some similar issues when I get there, I don't remember where the plot global is supposed to be at, my assumption is that the real timer got wonky or the like, which isn't a fault of the mod.

Drake to me feels like the most "real" of the three BG:EE NPC mods AionZ has. I actually like him more character-wise than the other two, even if gnomes are my favorite race, while Aura is more impressive function/coding-wise.
    Keiawyn
    Keiawyn wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah I really like Drake as a character, but was a bit surprised by how little he spoke in SoD. Sirene was far more talkative, and so was Aura! In fact I had to tell Aura to shut up because her mod glitched and kept repeating dialogue every 5 seconds. The Drake mod seemed to behave for the most part, but there wasn't nearly as much content and without a journal entry it was kind of unclear how to complete it.
    I guess if a Drake BG2 mod ever becomes reality we'll get more opportunity to chat with him. :) I suppose SoD was only meant to be the *start* of a romance with him. I do really like the writing for him in terms of friendship content! He's a really well written character!

i feel drake's talks in general are not firing right. he is supposed to have a leaving speech during the tutorial dungeon but he never says a word.

again drake and aura'a sod content has not been updated in awhile so your gonna run into issues. sirene's by contrast is fine and not as buggy.
    KeiawynWise_Grimwald
    edited February 2020
    I have that bug for all mod NPCs in the SoD starting dungeon for some reason, even with mine, unless I save the game and reload it upon starting the dungeon.

Their scripts don't get changed for some reason, unless that happens.
    megamike15
    You can always manually talk to him after setting Global("C02DrakeLastTalk","GLOBAL",2), that should trigger it as long as nothing before it is also valid, but you're right in that there was supposed to be a chat there. It's not romance dependent, it fires even for non-romances.

For the last one to fire, the trigger would be
    GlobalGT("bd_plot","global",590) (So I would see where it is at).

My playthrough with Drake is still in BG:EE, so I'll see if I get some similar issues when I get there, I don't remember where the plot global is supposed to be at, my assumption is that the real timer got wonky or the like, which isn't a fault of the mod.

Drake to me feels like the most "real" of the three BG:EE NPC mods AionZ has. I actually like him more character-wise than the other two, even if gnomes are my favorite race, while Aura is more impressive function/coding-wise.

Thanks!! I did not think of talking to him manually, as he always said the same things when I tried that before. I set the C02DrakeLastTalk global to 2, and then talked to him, and the talk fired.
    Wise_Grimwald
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I will hold off on any input for the dialogues until further issues are found (and this mod needs deeper changes anyway). Regarding Drake's writing - I am admittedly a very amateurish writer of female characters, which is why they tend to have very idealized personalities. Drake is not quite the same as me - I am nowhere near as direct nor as blasé, for example - but he certainly inherits more of my own traits than any of my other NPCs, which probably ties into him being more realistic.
    Wise_GrimwaldFina92
    edited March 2020
    I used to see Kale as my weakest writing for similar reasons to be honest, but I feel like idealized personality issues can also be attributed to alignment than gender, I find writing good-aligned characters to be much harder than non-good because it's difficult to not give them a positive personality with few flaws in their persona.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    I used to see Kale as my weakest writing for similar reasons to be honest, but I feel like idealized personality issues can also be attributed to alignment than gender, I find writing good-aligned characters to be much harder than non-good because it's difficult to not give them a positive personality with few flaws in their persona.

Refer Keldorn, Valygar, Nalia, Kivan, Coran and of course Drake - all good examples of "Flawful Good", or Anomen for "awful" good! As opposed to the more typically virtuous like Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Ajantis, Mazzy and Yeslick.
    if anything i think evil is harder to write.
    @megamike15

I can write evil characters. What I cannot write is evil characters intended for evil parties.
    DJKajuruMirandel
  • grainne6grainne6 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    I found a small issue with Drake - in the conversation that begins "Aaaand fifty-five... fifty-six.." if you choose the "Get some rest.." response the conversation ends. However the next one still begins with Drake apologising for going off on a tirade - even though he didn't. I thought I had missed a talk first. It needs either a variable to check if the full conversation happened or maybe just take away the choice to end the conversation early.

Another issue - immediately after being put in jail by Angelo, Drake started talking about Stoneheart - "Smug, arrogant.. ". It was very odd - I thought he knew Angelo first. I didn't get that talk during Drake's quest but the quest played out fine other than that. Although I thought it was odd he didn't talk to me about Stoneheart after we met him. I don't think it's my game - I haven't had any other problems but I've attached my WeiDu log in case that helps.
    Post edited by grainne6 on
    Wise_Grimwald
  • NoidedOneNoidedOne Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020
    @AionZ
    Hello, and thank you for the mod! Drake is a very good character so far, as well as Aura and Sirene. But I have a problem with his quest in BG:EE - his pal doesn't spawn in the western sewers of Baldur's Gate. This is in chapter 5, but before doing the Iron Throne building. Are there some hidden conditions for his appearance, or is it a bug? Could I use console to spawn him?
    EDIT: Uh, sorry, just met him in the Southern sewers under the Southern district. Probably a mistake in quest description?
    Post edited by NoidedOne on
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Playing Drake again, and hoping for a romance in SoD - I've got a rough and rady, wisecracking dwarven defender who seems to fit in with him really well.
    How's Drake for BG2 coming along?
    DJKajuruWise_Grimwald
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    I'm enjoying the Drake mod a whole bunch right now. I've got a Good party of CHARNAME, Drake, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Sirene, and Grey and Drake provides a distinct take on goodness that adds some nice rough edges, but still a good ethos at heart.

So far, Drake has been relatively bug free. A couple of minor things I've noticed:

1. His custom Priest of Tyr spells don't have any real graphical or portrait icon feedback to indicate they are active.
    2. I haven't visited the Nashkel Mines yet, but I've gone to the gate of Baldur's Gate (bridge was up) and when I do a force talk with Drake he is acting as though I've completed the mines.
    @Caedwyr

The Priest of Tyr was added by the EE. Believe it or not the mod does already add visuals to them - the original spells actually had no visual effects at all.

I’ll look into the other issue but it’d be helpful to get specifics. Is it a timer-based dialogue going off when it shouldn’t?
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2020
    The talk that fired when I selected the "talk to NPC" command and clicked on Drake was this one:
    // TALK 9

CHAIN IF ~Global("C0DrakeTalk","GLOBAL",18)~ THEN C0DRAKEJ t9
    ~It's good that we managed to put a stop to those scum working in those mines, but I'll admit the whole affair still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.~ [C0DRAK09]
    DO ~IncrementGlobal("C0DrakeTalk","GLOBAL",1)
    RealSetGlobalTimer("C0DrakeTalkTimer","GLOBAL",2700)~
    == C0DRAKEJ ~We've scored a victory this day, but we're not finished yet, are we? So what now, <CHARNAME>? Do we find this 'Iron Throne' and face them head on?~
    END
    ++ ~Do you have any better ideas?~ + t9.1
    ++ ~Would Amn be able to take action against them?~ + t9.2
    ++ ~We head to Baldur's Gate, find the Iron Throne's headquarters, and do what we have to.~ + t9.3
    ++ ~Not stand around and chatter, for one. Let's get moving.~ + t9.0

I was seeing if he had a flirt/friendship player initiated dialogue, but appear to have gotten the next talk in the sequence of talks (the previous one that occurred naturally was the talk where you share a bottle of firewine.

Examining the .d file I think part of the issue is that the talk doesn't appear to have any checks to see if the player has completed the mines. I'm doing a whole bunch of sidequests, so I'm spending a lot of time in Chapter 2 and as a result this chat is sequence breaking. It also appears that Player Initiated Dialogues force the next banter with Drake rather than giving a list of basic banter responses.
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31
    I've been watching an LP recently of modded Baldur's Gate, and your Drake has been easily the most delightful new character in it. I hope the BG2 content is still in the future, because I'd love to see where it goes next!
    Wise_Grimwaldxiaoleiwen
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    fkph5r9m1mih.jpg

Just to report, Drake initiated his final talk when the charname was caught at Skie's murder scene (the moment after being accused and before Corwin's interjection)...it looks like something should happen earlier during celebration.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    also keeping fingers crossed for bg2 content here :)
    Wise_Grimwaldxiaoleiwen
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    trinit wrote: »
    also keeping fingers crossed for bg2 content here :)

Keeping fingers crossed for bg2 content here (3)
    Wise_Grimwald
  • JPme2187JPme2187 Member Posts: 6
    I fourth this. I have the run all planned out but I’m waiting till he can join me.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    marcnivar wrote: »
    fkph5r9m1mih.jpg

Just to report, Drake initiated his final talk when the charname was caught at Skie's murder scene (the moment after being accused and before Corwin's interjection)...it looks like something should happen earlier during celebration.
    Hi, may I ask where did you find this portrait for Drake please ?
    xiaoleiwen
    Trouveur wrote: »
    marcnivar wrote: »
    fkph5r9m1mih.jpg

Hi, may I ask where did you find this portrait for Drake please ?

it's a replacement for anomen's. it's from artastrophe

https://www.deviantart.com/artastrophe/art/Portrait-Pack-3rd-Edition-600226831
    Trouveurxiaoleiwen
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @AionZ is there a release date for bg2 part you'd be willing to share with us? not trying to be pushy, just wondering whether to wait a bit with my new playthrough or not :)