Skip to content

Share your story predictions about BG3

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
We once had a thread about a real antagonist of SoD before SoD was released.

We also have a thread about the Shadows of Amn conspiracy.

Let's share predictions about BG3, big and small, serious and lightweight. Let your imagination go wild.

I'll start.

1. Shadowheart, a half-elf cleric, one of the party members, is a child of Aerie and Charname.

My explanation: During the AMA it was mentioned that events of ToB (among others) will affect the BG3 world. Aerie has a baby there. She's an avariel, and the main character was supposed to be a human. Thus, their child most likely is a half-elf.

Half-elves live about 180 years. BG3 is happening 100 years later than BG2.

Now, Shadowheart is a cleric -> she inherits her divine talents from her mother, Aerie. And "shadow" in the name is a reference to the Bhaalspawn part of her father. Having Bhaal as a grandpa, she can't just be a holy cleric, thus Shadowheart.

This is what we know: "One of Shar's dark disciples, Shadowheart was sent on a suicide mission to steal an item of great power. While wrestling with her faith and strange, untamed magic, Shadowheart has enemies on all sides - and a long-buried secret to uncover". I guess she turned to Shar because of the darker heritage of her father.
ThacoBellAdam_en_tiumZaxaresPsicoVicSkatan

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The canon bhallspawn will be Abdel Adrian, probably fairly close to his characterization and actions from both the novels and the P&P mdules (leaning heavily on P&P). So there will be no canon descenedants or romances.

Players who had a romance, had female charnames, non-human charnames, or chose godhood will not be represented.

Minsc will be present, and probably more than a cameo. I'm expecting quest giver for a quest chain, and a guest star party member for specific quests/fights. In that order.

Coran, Jaheira, and Aerie will show up or be mentioned. Jaheira will likely not be voiced.

Final villain will either be the Eldest Elders Brain, a named Illitihd that will basically be its Darth Vader before turning on it, or whatever cause the end of the Mind Flayer civilization in the distant future (unless that lore was dropped for 5e).

The Gith party member will most likely be romanceable.

Any Halfling companions will not be romanceable.

And Finally, not a prediction. But a pipe dream wish. Have the paladin order founded by Mazzy present as a full faction. Let the player join them. I might actually by this game, no matter how bad I may think it is, if this one thing happens. Yes, I know. I'm crazy.
    JuliusBorisovSkatansarevok57
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    There will be a side quest to take Boo home to the Spelljammer setting using one of the flying mindflayer ships.
    JuliusBorisovAdam_en_tiumIseweinMoomintroll
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    @JuliusBorisov: That's a neat theory! Except that Aerie's baby is a boy (she wanted to name him Quayle. I put my foot down at that. XD). Nothing saying that Aerie and CHARNAME couldn't have had more children though.

@ThacoBell: Given that the level cap in BG3 is 10, I doubt that we'd be facing off against such an unimaginably powerful foe for the final boss. Maybe in an expansion/sequel though! I think it's more likely that the final boss will be an illithid/ulitharid of some kind. Maybe even an alhoon?

I'm VERY certain that Lae'zel will be a romanceable companion, yes. (Shadowheart also has a high probability, as are Astarion and the Mage.)
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2020
    I agree that it would be smart for Larian/WotC to plant lots and lots of Easter eggs relating to the Bhaalspawn saga, i.e., things that trace back to characters we know from BG/SoA/ToB.

Maybe the mindflayer invasion is ultimately orchestrated by Bhaal, who is now mortal and a demi-god. But Bhaal is of course engaged in a deeper scheme.

I hope this game poses some tough roleplaying choices...

Bhaal will still be the Lord of Murder, and evil. But to ally with him, even just temporarily, may appear necessary in order to combat some even more dire threat. They'll have to make this argument fresh and unique, and avoid retreading the MCU's Thanos or the Wonder Woman film's Ares, etc.

Hopefully they can tie whatever this scheme is into a long term game plan that began with Bhaal's machinations during the Time of Troubles, and then including the Bhaalspawn war, Murder in Baldur's Gate, the Spellplague, and the Sundering. In other words, the events of the Bhaalspawn saga will matter very much, and BG3's story will be a continuation of it. But as part of a grand plan that Bhaal devised when he was able to see the future during the Time of Troubles.
    JuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    About that... What actually happened in descent into avernus and the other module before that which bg3 are continuing?
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868

Since it´s Larian I´m pretty sure that the game will have a spell/item/feature that will allow players of any class to have several levels of wierd conversations with all kinds of animals in the sword coast.

lroumen wrote: »
    About that... What actually happened in descent into avernus and the other module before that which bg3 are continuing?

Both modules have several endings depending on the players´choices and the interpretation of your DM so I do not think I can be of help with that...
    That said, I´m not sure that DiA will have much to do with BG3, even tho the Module book has tons of info in the city and the events in there, the time you actually play in Baldur´s gate is a small fraction of the adventure.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ah okay, thanks!
    PsicoVic wrote: »

Since it´s Larian I´m pretty sure that the game will have a spell/item/feature that will allow players of any class to have several levels of wierd conversations with all kinds of animals in the sword coast.

I sure hope not. This would ruin the mystery of Boo and if he's actually giving sage advice to Minsc or it's all in Minsc head.
    @Zaxares I don't see a problem. Intellect devourers at low levels? Mind FLayers as the main enemies? Larian is already throwing high level enemies at the player out the gate. Heh, gate.
    sarevok57
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i expect the writing to be inconstant in tone and larian having issues writing serious scenes.
    kanisathaIsewein
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2020
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i expect the writing to be inconstant in tone and larian having issues writing serious scenes.

This is unrelated to this topic. Please don't post off-topic comments in this thread (or any thread, really).
    byrne20
    megamike15 wrote: »

This is unrelated to this topic. Please don't post off-topic comments in this thread (or any thread, really).

Really? I think writing would be extremely on topic when it comes to story discussion.
    megamike15
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2020
    Agreed @JuliusBorisov there are plenty of other threads for all of that. I was enjoying reading this thread.

My own input I guess and I have seen it said by others would be that I think Minsc will be available as a non permanent party member at some point. Like a follower for a certain quest or something along those lines. I’m sure that they have but he must be voiced by Jim Cummings. I would be interested to see what Class they give him as I think it seems like the Ranger class has changed a lot since 2nd Edition and seems more aimed at Archers and two weapon style users (even more focused than in 2nd edition). So I would be interested to see what Class he is.

I would love to see a confirmation in game on who won the duel between Charname (probably Abdel here) and Viekang which would then give an answer to which one of them turned into the beast.

Obviously I am hoping that Bhaal is heavily involved in the main plot and I would love a battle with him.

I think it would be cool if you could become a member of the Flaming Fist and rise up the ranks and take over leadership ? Always wanted to imagine my character walking around saying ‘I OWN THE FLAMING FIST’ lol
    JuliusBorisovmodestvolta
    Hmm, let me rephrase it: this thread is not for sharing an opinion about Larian or their games. There are plenty of other threads for those comments. This threat is about your ideas on how the story or its elements will go, about characters, about their fate.

Okay.
    JuliusBorisov
    We've been talking about long-lived races like elves, but what about Outsider cameos? Angels, baatezu, tanar'ri etc. are effectively immortal and beings that Gorion's Ward may have defeated could very well still be around, and nursing a grudge against their friends/companions/children. Demons from Aec'Letec to Demogorgon could still have plots and cultists active in Faerun (and in Aec'Letect's case, who knows, he might have even wrangled a promotion to Balor by now. ;) )

I'd add Dragons to the list too, but as far as I know the only dragon we encounter in the original series that DOESN'T definitely die is Adalon.
    JuliusBorisov
    Zaxares wrote: »
    We've been talking about long-lived races like elves, but what about Outsider cameos? Angels, baatezu, tanar'ri etc. are effectively immortal and beings that Gorion's Ward may have defeated could very well still be around, and nursing a grudge against their friends/companions/children. Demons from Aec'Letec to Demogorgon could still have plots and cultists active in Faerun (and in Aec'Letect's case, who knows, he might have even wrangled a promotion to Balor by now. ;) )

I'd add Dragons to the list too, but as far as I know the only dragon we encounter in the original series that DOESN'T definitely die is Adalon.

actually, beside the two in ToB, all the Dragons have the potential of living. You don't have to kill any of them.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    deltago wrote: »

actually, beside the two in ToB, all the Dragons have the potential of living. You don't have to kill any of them.

Plus, nothing STAYS dead in D&D. I'm talking to YOU Tazok!
    BallpointManLemernisSkatansarevok57
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Oooohhh, this talk of dragons returning got me thinking. How about a Firkraag dracolich? Now that would be worth the price of admission!
    JuliusBorisovSkatansarevok57
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Oooohhh, this talk of dragons returning got me thinking. How about a Firkraag dracolich? Now that would be worth the price of admission!

I was thinking about it back in 2014 B)

It would be great to see the Cult of the Dragon presence in BG3.
    Balrog99JuliusBorisovSkatan

That's... actually true. (I think this even applies to the green dragon you encounter in SoD. I think you can sneak past her lair without actually fighting her.) But then again, what player HASN'T gone out of their way to kill those dragons for their loot, XP and scales to make powerful magic items with? ;)

That's... actually true. (I think this even applies to the green dragon you encounter in SoD. I think you can sneak past her lair without actually fighting her.) But then again, what player HASN'T gone out of their way to kill those dragons for their loot, XP and scales to make powerful magic items with? ;)

Pacifist runners.
    Is... that even possible? There's lots of fights where it's mandatory to kill someone or something to complete the quest or progress through the story. What happens if you Charm or Dominate the target? (Like Davaeorn or Irenicus, for instance.)
    It was more possible in the originals as the player could pickpocket certain items (like heads) to advance the story, but there are runs where you attempt to kill as little as possible. I think there are only 3 mandatory deaths in BGEE.

to keep this on topic, it'd be amazing if a player could get through all of BG3 without killing a single thing.
    Adam_en_tiumJuliusBorisov
    Wasn't one of the AMA questions whether it would be possible to do a pacifist run through BG3? I THINK Larian's answer was "yes", although don't quote me on that. :P
    It was stated in a previous interview that all combat would be unavoidable, but extremely unlikely. Dice rolls were mentioned, but we don't know to what capacity they would dictate.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    There will be Mindflayers and they um... will do a thing with the thing and that thing will make a worm give people powers and those powers will eh....

make you really hungry?

Yes that sounds good. Yess.
    We've been talking a lot about BG influences, but do you guys think there will be references/Easter Eggs from other D&D games too? For instance, Deekin (from NWN1 and 2) would be long, looooong dead by now, but he might have founded a new kobold clan or bardic school that could show up in Baldur's Gate or a nearby town.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    I´m pretty sure you will fight a dragon at some point, and possibly one of the cities will have a brothel, It´s mandatory in any fantasy crpg for reasons unknown.

That said, if there are spelljammers in the intro movie, I hope we would travel to the planes, and sigil, at least I hope so.
    JuliusBorisov
    Jaheira will be in the game as at least a cameo.

Why? Well, that requires a little explanation:

I play Idle Champions, an idle game that WotC has been using to promote new products. It features the characters of sponsored streamers and popular characters from D&D. Now, the game came out around the same time as that comic that had a Minsc statue come to life. Minsc and Delina were day 1 champs included.
    All of the adventures in the game are 5th ed campaigns and some of them were even previews of ones not released yet. The most recent campaign included? Descent into Avernus. Which Larian has already stated is a prequel to "BG3". As more and more champs are released, they usually are of current streamers (Avren, Spurt, etc.) or super popular or famous characters (Drizzt, Melf!). We also get characters that feature in the campaign released. Like a Lycanthrope guide that you follow through Tomb of Annihilation, eventually being unlocked and playable.

How does this relate to Jaheira? Well, she isn't really popular enough (very vocal hatedom) to be included on popularity. Especially not with characters like Viconia, Keldorn, or Imoen available. Now WotC has been ignoring BG media lately that wasn't brand new (the comic, new game, P&P campaigns). So we have Minsc, who is alive around the time of the game and able to take part, due to magic shenanigans. Remember the last campaign I said was released? Descent into Avernus. The newest champ? Jaheira. As a half elf, she could be still alive, is being released the same year as "BG3". WotC would definitely use characters from the game to promote in Idle Champs. Its something they've been doing since release.
    Adam_en_tiumBallpointManJuliusBorisov