Skip to content

Is there a way to alter the walking speed of characters without haste/special boots etc.

I love this game but hate having to constantly cast haste on everyone just to have the game be a decent speed.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you haven't already, increase your frame rate to 60 fps, granted everything will be twice as fast, but its pretty easy to get used to, especially if you find the pace to be to slow
    gorgonzola
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2020
    My tweak mod has an option to increase the movement speed of everyone in the game.
    2088432gorgonzola
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    My tweak mod has an option to increase the movement speed of everyone in the game.

what folder do I download it into? the same folder baldur.exe is in?

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I like to enable debug mode, and use ctrl + J to teleport across the map. I only use it for travel where I'd basically just stare at the screen while people walk.

Warning: this has the potential to make you miss events if used to liberally and too quickly in some areas, because you don't pass through trigger zones.
    ThacoBellthemazingness
    no i mean to increase the default speed
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    2088432 wrote: »
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

what folder do I download it into? the same folder baldur.exe is in?

Yes. Then click on "setup-METweaks.exe".
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited March 2020
    You should be frequently casting haste on everyone for bonus APR anyway. If you are looking for a permanent boost to movement speed and don't care how you get it, there is a variable in EEKeeper you can adjust for that, or you can just give everyone paws of the cheetah.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Considering that it takes about two castings of Haste to fatigue someone starting from a fully rested state ... that would lead to some very short adventuring days. It kind of defeats the point if you're constantly stopping to rest.

Note that any option other than the time manipulation sarevok57 suggested will impact game balance. If you make everybody move faster, ranged attacks get worse. If you make the players move faster without changing enemy speeds, it becomes easier to run away from enemies and player ranged attacks get better. If you start teleporting around, then you skip all sorts of things.
    sarevok57
    jmerry wrote: »
    Considering that it takes about two castings of Haste to fatigue someone starting from a fully rested state ... that would lead to some very short adventuring days. It kind of defeats the point if you're constantly stopping to rest.

Note that any option other than the time manipulation sarevok57 suggested will impact game balance. If you make everybody move faster, ranged attacks get worse. If you make the players move faster without changing enemy speeds, it becomes easier to run away from enemies and player ranged attacks get better. If you start teleporting around, then you skip all sorts of things.

So, since my fps is already at 60fps I can't increase it without screwing things up? :(
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Lots of good answers. I came to add, what the hell is up with the temple district? There is no exit at the north edge of the map, despite always arriving at the north edge of the map. Every damn time I walk for miles to get out. Every time!
    Lots of good answers. I came to add, what the hell is up with the temple district? There is no exit at the north edge of the map, despite always arriving at the north edge of the map. Every damn time I walk for miles to get out. Every time!

really? you mean by the slave lord building? im pretty sure in my game i can exit that way, im pretty sure there are 3 exits in that map; the one you come from, the top one by the slave lord/pimico estate and the back door out of the radiant heart
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2020
    2088432 wrote: »
    I love this game but hate having to constantly cast haste on everyone just to have the game be a decent speed.
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    if you haven't already, increase your frame rate to 60 fps, granted everything will be twice as fast, but its pretty easy to get used to, especially if you find the pace to be to slow
    imo this is the only fair answer to the question.
    even without adding apr to have an hasted party, while is convenient when you move them trough the areas, gives an huge combat advantage.
    your mlee fighters will be faster in closing the distance when ranged enemies and mages pelt them with their arrows and spells.
    if one of your guys is beginning to have too few hit points it is much easier to move him away and to send an other one, more tanky and healthy, to engage the enemy.
    the thief has an huge advantage both in going behind an enemy to stab him in the short time before a new invisibility check is done and in running fast away from the enemies sight to hide again and repeat.
    kiting tactics become much easier, and also the tactics where positioning the party members in precise locations and then re positioning them as the battle evolves are performed better, ie moving your fighters away from the area that is affected by a dragon's wing buffet, while a summon keeps his head pointed in a certain direction.
    the boots of speed become redundant, so a toon can equip other boots while having better speed, this is particularly important for thieves as they can use boots that help them in being more stealthy. if the boots of speed stack with the speed increase cheated in it is even worst as a toon can become ultra fast equipping them.
    i could continue with more examples but i think that it is enough.

right from the moment i find the first pair of boots of speed, that also increase the movement, but not the apr, i notice that the one that equips them become noticeably more combat effective.
    even if done to spare time when you wait that the party moves trough the areas to assume that this is the only effect is completely false.
    at least if the acceleration is obtained by rising the frame rate the balance is maintained as also the enemies and the casting time are accelerated.
    to do it in any other way can be done, as every player is free to play as he likes, but a player that decide to do it should be aware of the combat advantage that he gives to his party.

sarevok57iosfrustration
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    There were a little mod i used that provide cancellable auto haste between battles.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72120/improved-movement-speed-outside-of-combat
    This is in the linked thread somewhere.
    gorgonzola
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    im pretty sure there are 3 exits in that map; the one you come from, the top one by the slave lord/pimico estate and the back door out of the radiant heart

You’re right. After 20 years I’ve just learned that I can leave the temple district using the same entrance I came in, there is no little wheel thingie on that side of the map, I never knew.

For 20 long years my party has been walking for miles across this map at a snails pace to get to the exit at the bottom. 20 years of listening to Garrick proposition Irlana (which still makes me laugh every time). 20 years of being accused of fathering that urchin (also some hilarious dialogue). And today I learned...

Thank you kind internet stranger, after 20 years BG2 can still surprise and delight.
    sarevok57gorgonzolaGrond0
    im pretty sure there are 3 exits in that map; the one you come from, the top one by the slave lord/pimico estate and the back door out of the radiant heart

You’re right. After 20 years I’ve just learned that I can leave the temple district using the same entrance I came in, there is no little wheel thingie on that side of the map, I never knew.

For 20 long years my party has been walking for miles across this map at a snails pace to get to the exit at the bottom. 20 years of listening to Garrick proposition Irlana (which still makes me laugh every time). 20 years of being accused of fathering that urchin (also some hilarious dialogue). And today I learned...

Thank you kind internet stranger, after 20 years BG2 can still surprise and delight.

i had the same thing happen to me last year i believe when it comes to discovering something from this game after playing it for 20+ years and that was; if you have 18 CHA in candlekeep and talk to the nobles at the inn and say its the jewelry they wear, they will put it in the chest with the star sapphire and then you can get an extra pearl necklace and flame dance ring when you procure the items from that chest

good stuff :)
    iosfrustration
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    also i learn new things about the game reading the forums, and i bet that also players with much more knowledge then mine, like let's say @Grond0 and @semiticgod do.
    one of the most noticeable obvious things that i learned only recently is that the special bullets you find in the temple ruins insta kill the shadow altar, as are very rare, you can find them only in that quest and in limited amount and being the only bullets in the game with an elemental damage attached i had always spared them for spell disruption use and for 20 years i had always killed the altar in the hard way.
    iosfrustrationsarevok57
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2020
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    also i learn new things about the game reading the forums, and i bet that also players with much more knowledge then mine, like let's say @Grond0 and @semiticgod do.
    one of the most noticeable obvious things that i learned only recently is that the special bullets you find in the temple ruins insta kill the shadow altar, as are very rare, you can find them only in that quest and in limited amount and being the only bullets in the game with an elemental damage attached i had always spared them for spell disruption use and for 20 years i had always killed the altar in the hard way.

I'm in the happy state that I forget things about as quickly as I learn them, so I get regular surprises from things that I once knew :p.

I came across one nice little Easter egg in SoD a while ago, after multiple runs through. If you're wearing Morentherene's hide (in the form of armor or a shield) when you come across the ambush area with the young green dragon, he recognizes what you've done to his kin and is not happy with you ...
    gorgonzolaiosfrustrationsarevok57Zaxares