Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    We are going on lockdown starting Tuesday. Pharmacies and grocery stores are being kept open. We aren't allowed out except for essentials. The claim is that this will last a month. Hahahahhahaha.

I can't remember where you're at. Is it Kansas?

Yup, eastern side. 15 min from the first confirmed case. I'm in the suburbs and our local government is responding faster than a lot of other places. We're not doing "good" per se, but we are one of the few states with under 100 confirmed cases. Pre-quarantine, I'd expect that to beak within 2 days. We'll see how much/if this slows it down.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZHQIirpNI

Drone footage from today featuring Frankfurt am Main. I can appreciate to finally have some quiet in this otherwise very LOUD city.

Also, Germany has as of today new regulations: only a maximum of two people can go outside together. With the exception of families and domestic communities. The federal and state governments have agreed that personal care services will be even further restricted. This applies in particular to hairdressers, massage parlors, tattoo studios and the like. "The medically necessary treatments remain possible," emphasized the Prime Minister. These for instance will include medical foot care and physiotherapy. Although I do imagine that dentists, given their high risk of being exposed to aerosols and droplets of virus carriers, will probably have to close their offices sometime around next week as well.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2020
    While it seems to lag a bit, the information on that interactive map I mentioned a while back would seem to me to indicate that there is serious under reporting from Russia (click on the red dots for information from individual countries). In fact looking at that map it would seem that the only places without any cases at all are all islands. These are Tristan Da Cunha (British Protectorate), the Falklands/Malvinas, and some french islands situated south of the middle of Indian Ocean (but way closer to the Antarctic.

TR
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2020
    We are going on lockdown starting Tuesday. Pharmacies and grocery stores are being kept open. We aren't allowed out except for essentials. The claim is that this will last a month. Hahahahhahaha.

Yup, eastern side. 15 min from the first confirmed case. I'm in the suburbs and our local government is responding faster than a lot of other places. We're not doing "good" per se, but we are one of the few states with under 100 confirmed cases. Pre-quarantine, I'd expect that to beak within 2 days. We'll see how much/if this slows it down.

Wow, and you're in solid Trump country. No measures like that in Michigan yet. I'm guessing that might change now that the auto companies have shut down production though.

Edit: Won't matter to me personally now that my site is committed to making hand sanitizer. I'm one of the Expendables as of tomorrow...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2020
    deltago wrote: »
    A friend joked that this is just the Mother Nature sending us all to our rooms to think about what we've done.

sq901oy9lzrh.jpg
    edited March 2020
    Aedan wrote: »
    deltago wrote: »
    A friend joked that this is just the Mother Nature sending us all to our rooms to think about what we've done.

sq901oy9lzrh.jpg

So a serial killer shark clown that kills in the dark would still be number one! I know what my novel is going to be about now...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    xag52nchcr04.png

Got this one off Facebook
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Well, that is because you need to work from home and take care of the kids.

If it was just kids it would be fine, like a holiday. I personally struggle with the dual responsibilities now. One is getting potty trained and the other gets a lot of homework from school and needs repetitive exercises for it to stick. And i need to call a lot of people for work. And my wife is even more busy with work.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    It's not like you were able to take care of the kids when you were in office, no? Why would they suddenly need to be taken care of when you switch to working on remote?
    Ardanis wrote: »
    It's not like you were able to take care of the kids when you were in office, no? Why would they suddenly need to be taken care of when you switch to working on remote?

Because the State takes care of them while they're in school...

It really depends on the age and maturity level of your children whether or not you can trust them to be home alone for any length of time. I'm lucky, my daughter is 12 going on 30. Not all parents are so lucky.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    As I saw someone comment the other day, millions of parents are finding out it wasn't the TEACHER that was the problem after all......

Maybe people will finally realize we should pay our teachers more...............

Whoops, excuse me, I just snorted my beer through my nose...
    edited March 2020
    Btw: for homemade hand sanitizer, you can use any kind of rubbing alcohol mixed with either aloe vera gel or glycerine, and water (probably 50% water max for virus killing). You can add any essential oil as fragrance if you want (it's not necessary). You can also use 3% hydrogen peroxide instead of water for additional germ fighting (again not necessary). If you don't have any of those you can use straight rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka and just use hand lotion after it dries.

Edit: 50% alcohol, not water and glycerin/aloe (the inactive ingredients). Just trying to err on the safe side...
    Ohio declared shelter in place. Only a matter of time before Michigan does too now. Of course, since we're now making hand sanitizer, I'll have to go in anyway. C'est la vie...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It's utterly bizarre that Washington hasn't done shelter in place yet, especially around Seattle. I expect/worry it'll happen tomorrow. The worry is just anxiety, nothing worth actually elucidating. I also worry it won't.
    It's utterly bizarre that Washington hasn't done shelter in place yet, especially around Seattle. I expect/worry it'll happen tomorrow. The worry is just anxiety, nothing worth actually elucidating. I also worry it won't.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they think they have it isolated in just that one locale?
    Who needs hand sanitizer anyway? Use plain soap and water. It is more than capable of killing the virus. It can literally tear a virus apart. That's down to the soap molecules being attractive to both water and the oily coating of the virus.

TR
    Who needs hand sanitizer anyway? Use plain soap and water. It is more than capable of killing the virus. It can literally tear a virus apart. That's down to the soap molecules being attractive to both water and the oily coating of the virus.

TR

People think of it as a security blanket. It doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't dry out your skin. It does kill viruses so no harm in using it if it makes you feel better...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they think they have it isolated in just that one locale?

It's very not isolated, unfortunately. We had weeks for it to spread before anyone even knew about the Life Care Center, and that can't be the only vector to come into the state. SeaTac has flights directly from China.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
    Btw: for homemade hand sanitizer, you can use any kind of rubbing alcohol mixed with either aloe vera gel or glycerine, and water (probably 50% water max for virus killing). You can add any essential oil as fragrance if you want (it's not necessary). You can also use 3% hydrogen peroxide instead of water for additional germ fighting (again not necessary). If you don't have any of those you can use straight rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka and just use hand lotion after it dries.

Edit: 50% alcohol, not water and glycerin/aloe (the inactive ingredients). Just trying to err on the safe side...

I bought a pack of hand sanitizer crap on Amazon a year ago for like 10 bucks because it was difficult to justify just buying one bottle and paying shipping at that price.

I never figured it would get much mileage out of it or that it would suddenly turn in to GOLD. Funny (and sad now). Well, I got lucky.
    81fDlidSkoL._SL1500_.jpg

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Thus guy I work work kept calling it corvid-19. I explained to him that would be bird flu and we've already done that.
    Actually, being pedantic and strictly accurate, shouldn't that be Crow/Raven flu as it is their family name (Corvidae) that's being taken in vain B) ?

TR
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Actually, being pedantic and strictly accurate, shouldn't that be Crow/Raven flu as it is their family name (Corvidae) that's being taken in vain B) ?

TR

Lol! We started joking about it turning you into a crow.
    On topic: Colorado isn't on complete lockdown... yet. Restaurants are restricted from dine in, delivery is still an option. The governor has also allowed for alcohol delivery(with food orders) during this crisis. Other places are restricting the number of people in the store at one time. Most people seem to be self quarantining, as rush hour traffic hasn't existed in the last week.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    24076540-7946487-image-a-47_1580380668096.jpg
    Just leaving this here...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Wow, and you're in solid Trump country. No measures like that in Michigan yet. I'm guessing that might change now that the auto companies have shut down production though.

Edit: Won't matter to me personally now that my site is committed to making hand sanitizer. I'm one of the Expendables as of tomorrow...

We had a big blue shift at the last election. It was either our governor or senator. I don't remember how many positions exactly, but we ended up electing someone who was not only one of the fist 2 Native American senators, but she is also the first (openly) LGBT senator.