Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Anybody else having weird dreams lately. I haven't remembered my dreams in years, but I've been having very vivid, sometimes disturbing ones lately. I assume it's because of the stress of the situation, but just wondering if others have noticed the same thing.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Anybody else having weird dreams lately. I haven't remembered my dreams in years, but I've been having very vivid, sometimes disturbing ones lately. I assume it's because of the stress of the situation, but just wondering if others have noticed the same thing.

My most repeated dreams over the years are being back in high school and not going to a certain class for an entire semester. When I had a car, I'd often dream of driving off a bridge or some place that caused it to fall. There was never any "end" to these dreams. I never actually faced consequences for not going to the class, and the car never actually hit the water or street below. They'd always end before that. I haven't been dreaming much of anything lately.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Singapore should begin "stay at home" now. You don't wait until the thief is inside your house to lock the door, do you? Covid-19 can spread very quickly, and it has already spread into your country further than you know. These numbers only reflect the known cases. Sadly, they will rise dramatically without swift action.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Anybody else having weird dreams lately.
    Yesterday I vividly dreamed about me snowboarding on top of an flying ice dragon. For real. Does that count as weird?
    Anybody else having weird dreams lately.
    Yesterday I vividly dreamed about me snowboarding on top of an flying ice dragon. For real. Does that count as weird?

Only if that's not a normal dream for you! ;)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2020
    Bodies pile up on streets in Ecuador as coronavirus spreads

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ecuador-bodies-streets-guayaquil-coronavirus-covid-19/

The novel coronavirus has ravaged the coastal Ecuadorian city of Guayaquil, which has struggled to cope with the number of corpses as hospitals, morgues and funeral parlors have been overwhelmed. Some social media videos show unattended bodies lying on the street with nowhere else to go.

Excuse my poor translation skills but this "Se habla de 450 cuerpos aproximadamente, abandonados en las calles de #Guayaquil" seems to be saying there's about 450 dead bodies abandoned in the streets of Guayaquil at the time of the video.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Michigan just cancelled the in-person school year. This'll be interesting to see how they plan on handling the at-home learning. My guess is that there will be a lot of kids behind the curve next Fall...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/04/02/michigan-governor-suspends-in-person-learning-at-k-12-schools-for-rest-of-school-year/?outputType=amp

Better behind than dead.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2020
    Ever since I was a child I have remembered at least 3 dreams at waking up.
    The most prominent one in times of stress tends to repeat for me and it is what I call the Infinity dream.
    I would sit in a small boat floating on still water with nothing around but the horizon. Then it would suddenly have towering vertical rocks in the water through/between which I would move (but still waters still).

You get used to dreams once you start to remember them. The fun ones are prophetic dreams that a few weeks later seem to trigger either a deja vu or a moment where you seem to know the exact future for a minute or so but cannot act on time to change it.

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2020
    I usually remember a dream 1-2 times a month, nothing different there lately. Then again, nothing's changed in my life lately either :D
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Better behind than dead.
    Debatable. It's not like any kid is going to die, more like potentially spreading virus to their grandparents.

Still it's a good excuse to finally start learning how to work and study remotely. Lately I've read so many people whine about how awful and horrible it is to boot their home PC and start doing what they've been doing at their office's PC, I just wanna facepalm...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Maybe this dream talk can be it’s own topic/discussion.
    deltago wrote: »

'Pandemic Dreams'?
    Awesome band name. "Hello ladies and gentlemen. We are Pandemic Dreams". Yeah, that sounds cool.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Then there's that song "Forever in Pandemic Dreams" by Phil Pukely.

TR
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    deltago wrote: »

'Pandemic Dreams'?

I've had them, too. The night after the first adaptations at our hospital took place, I had on-call duty. I dreamt that a bear attacked my car on the way home (in a country where you have to go to the zoo to see a bear), and then that I was working in some kind of field hospital or infirmary, and a senior colleague was scolding me for being lazy, irresponsible and forgetful.
    I felt like crap when I woke up.
    The governor called for everyone to wear a cloth mask when going out. he urged that protective masks should be reserved for medical personel, who are in urgent need. while he admits it doesn't offer you great protection from being infected, it will prevent you from possibly spreading it to others.
    shabadoo wrote: »
    The governor called for everyone to wear a cloth mask when going out. he urged that protective masks should be reserved for medical personel, who are in urgent need. while he admits it doesn't offer you great protection from being infected, it will prevent you from possibly spreading it to others.

That is the current national guidelines. Even with a mask, maintain physical distance from others because those type of masks don't offer protection from getting the virus. I've heard my local leaders say if you go outside, wear a mask.

Maybe ideally we'd all be sporting n95 masks (or better) but the supply is low and they are needed by medical professionals. Even then with those stronger masks, I've seen scientists say that virus particles can penetrate them.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Cloth masks can at least hold back your spit and therefore protect others to some extent. If your mask gets contaminated from the outside, or is moist, it doesn't protect you, and besides, it might give people a false sense of security. Distance is still the best protection. If, however, everyone wears a cloth mask for example during grocery shopping, we all protect each other to some extent. I still see so many people coughing into their hands, or just into the air, and then taking things from shelves, or rubbing their noses. But I'm afraid those same people will just stuff the used cloth mask into their pocket and take it out again tomorrow. So, as I said, a false sense of protection and an additional danger if used unwisely.

N95 masks or higher should REALLY be left to those who have to take care of infected people. Besides, it's not really pleasant to wear them for more than half an hour, especially if you're not physically fit.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ardanis wrote: »
    I usually remember a dream 1-2 times a month, nothing different there lately. Then again, nothing's changed in my life lately either :D
    Better behind than dead.
    Debatable. It's not like any kid is going to die, more like potentially spreading virus to their grandparents.

Still it's a good excuse to finally start learning how to work and study remotely. Lately I've read so many people whine about how awful and horrible it is to boot their home PC and start doing what they've been doing at their office's PC, I just wanna facepalm...

Well, not really. Children being affected is rare, but not non-existent. About 2% of children are hit hard when exposed. There's a very large children's hospital near us that takes patients in from all over the country because they basically are the only hospital in the country with certain facilities for young children. They had a COVID outbreak a month ago. Children HAVE died from the virus, so yes, measures should be taken to protect them. Its also important to remember that 2% is a statistic, a trend and not an absolute number. Certain health problems like a compromised immune system, breathing disorder, and heart conditions can spike your chances of dying from it. When you remember that 1 in 4 people worldwide have a disability of some kind (including children) that's a lot of chances for someone to be extra suceptible.
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    I'd suggest reagents from three Waterdavian creatures might make a good treatment, but preferably not bought from a wet market. ;)
    edited April 2020
    It's worth mentioning at this point that the US is not going to just have a single horrible outbreak to manage like China and Italy did. We are going to have about a dozen in different parts of the country at different times. The rate of increase continues to grow by roughly 10-15% per day. Even once you hit the top of the roller coaster in a certain area like New York, in places like New Orleans, Detroit and Florida, the cars will still be climbing the hill. Even after you start the descent (meaning at the very least increases in cases are flattening rather than rising exponentially) you still have to keep all shelter in place orders in place for the entire descent. Most of the country is going to be in total lockdown til at least the end of May. And that is the optimistic projection. It's much more likely it's going to be at least the end of June or July until we can even contemplate something other than what we are doing right now, and even then, that almost certainly means a second round of outbreaks. When the US response is measured against the rest of the world at the end, it will receive the worst grades in nearly EVERY respect.
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Better behind than dead.

Well, not really. Children being affected is rare, but not non-existent. About 2% of children are hit hard when exposed. There's a very large children's hospital near us that takes patients in from all over the country because they basically are the only hospital in the country with certain facilities for young children. They had a COVID outbreak a month ago. Children HAVE died from the virus, so yes, measures should be taken to protect them. Its also important to remember that 2% is a statistic, a trend and not an absolute number. Certain health problems like a compromised immune system, breathing disorder, and heart conditions can spike your chances of dying from it. When you remember that 1 in 4 people worldwide have a disability of some kind (including children) that's a lot of chances for someone to be extra suceptible.

People who have loved ones with compromised immune systems are taking this seriously on a completely different level than most other people. It's not just a fairly friendly roll of the dice for them, percentage-wise. It's knowledge that if the person they are trying to protect gets it, the BEST case scenario is probably an extended hospitalization.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    The Queen gave a televised address to the UK tonight - only the 5th time she's done that since taking the throne in 1952. As always, the message was essentially about pulling together as a nation, with nothing that could be seen as political - but just the fact that everyone knew an address would be coming soon underscores how much of an impact Covid-19 has had.
    edited April 2020
    Boris Johnson admitted to hospital for Cv-19 following 10 days of persistent symptoms.

The Navy commander who begged to get his men off a ship so they do not die needlessly who Trump had fired (via Defense Secretary Esper) has tested positive for the virus.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    A tiger in a New York zoo has caught Covid-19 from its keeper. It was tested as a result of showing clear symptoms and that casts some doubt on the current prevailing view that pets may be able to get the disease, but not in a sufficiently virulent form to pass it on.

If a range of different animals were able to act as a reservoir for it, that makes the chances of preventing it becoming endemic in the future even smaller - unless a really effective vaccine can be made.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    A virology podcast I was listening to said that cats appear to be capable of catching the virus, though dogs are less likely to. So if you have a cat then a few less hugs and kisses may be in order.
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    A virology podcast I was listening to said that cats appear to be capable of catching the virus, though dogs are less likely to. So if you have a cat then a few less hugs and kisses may be in order.

Indeed. From this Chinese study it seems pretty clear that cats can pass the disease on between themselves. If human to cat and cat to cat transmission is possible, it would seem a bit surprising to me if cat to human were not possible.
    I would be very cautious about such reports and would interrogate them to find out a few things. First and foremost amongst these questions is Did the cats in question exhibit any symptoms? If no, my next question would have to be what test was used and how was it administered. Should it be that a mouth swab, the same as for people, was the technique used then there are valid reasons for treating these results with suspicion no matter how well the tests were conducted. This is all down to feline behaviour.

Unless a cat is very unwell, they are fastidious in washing to keep their fur and claws in order. Since they use their tongues for this purpose, I would be very surprised if there weren't virus particles in the mouths of those cats that share the homes of infected people. Also re. cat to cat transmission. Since grooming of one another (and quite often their "owners") is part of the way that cats bond there is no way a simple mouth swab can detect this either. To accurately detect either case I suspect that blood tests would need to be carried out.

Addressing the disparity between the results for cats versus dogs. Never having been a dog owner this next is based on limited observation of the behaviour of dogs. From such observation it would seem that dogs do not perform self grooming to such an extent. Indeed from what little I do know it would seem that human intervention is extremely often necessary. i.e. Dogs need to be given baths. In fact, my own observations would indicate (remember I could easily be wrong here) that there is only a single body area that dogs lick with any frequency - their genitalia.

So while owners of both types of animal will pet them, I hardly think most people will grab a dog by its bells or deliberately sneeze on said area. Thus cats are more likely to have virus particles in their mouths.

TR
    edited April 2020
    I would be very cautious about such reports and would interrogate them to find out a few things. First and foremost amongst these questions is Did the cats in question exhibit any symptoms? If no, my next question would have to be what test was used and how was it administered. Should it be that a mouth swab, the same as for people, was the technique used then there are valid reasons for treating these results with suspicion no matter how well the tests were conducted. This is all down to feline behaviour.

Unless a cat is very unwell, they are fastidious in washing to keep their fur and claws in order. Since they use their tongues for this purpose, I would be very surprised if there weren't virus particles in the mouths of those cats that share the homes of infected people. Also re. cat to cat transmission. Since grooming of one another (and quite often their "owners") is part of the way that cats bond there is no way a simple mouth swab can detect this either. To accurately detect either case I suspect that blood tests would need to be carried out.

Addressing the disparity between the results for cats versus dogs. Never having been a dog owner this next is based on limited observation of the behaviour of dogs. From such observation it would seem that dogs do not perform self grooming to such an extent. Indeed from what little I do know it would seem that human intervention is extremely often necessary. i.e. Dogs need to be given baths. In fact, my own observations would indicate (remember I could easily be wrong here) that there is only a single body area that dogs lick with any frequency - their genitalia.

So while owners of both types of animal will pet them, I hardly think most people will grab a dog by its bells or deliberately sneeze on said area. Thus cats are more likely to have virus particles in their mouths.

TR

The Chinese study I linked above was a laboratory study in a veterinary research institute. Testing for the virus was done on feces and body parts (following euthanasia). Transmission to uninfected cats was observed across separate, isolated cages - hence the study's conclusion that this was the result of airborne respiratory droplets.

I agree with @dunbar that all results at this stage are very tentative. However, I don't think it makes sense to assume that animal to human transmission is a one-off that will never happen again.
    Since the likely patient zero case in Wuhan was highly likely to have been via animal to human transmission I have to agree with that assessment. I also have it at the back of my mind (i.e. can't prove it nor supply sources) there may have been cat to human transmission of some form of influenza in the past. Of course I could be confusing this with the underlying story contained in the Moretta stories by the late Anne McCaffrey set in the Dragon Riders of Pern universe.

TR