Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »

There's less than meets the eye.

The federal government should aid the states in the this pandemic. The federal government is meant to be the quarterback. A single entity assisting the states negotiating on behalf of the "United" States of America. All states. That's it's damn purpose.

But with Trump he's using it to help private companies, including one's he and his kids have stakes in, make profit. That's his concern. He's leaving the states in the wind.

This is wrong. It's evil, man.

Yes, there's a global shortage.

That's why the federal government should be doing it's job. Forcing 50 states to bid against each other and having fifty different sets of buys harass suppliers from 50 different sides.

This is counterproductive. It's inefficient. This is bullshit. This is wrong. This is war profiteering. They arrested one dude for hoarding millions of masks. What the hell is Trump and Kushner doing if not the same thing but on a larger scale?

Kushner says the federal government supplies are not for the states. Trump is hoarding the supplies and outbidding the states. This is the exact thing they arrested that guy on just on the super-villain scale.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Ayiekie wrote: »
    But like all the other dumb things Trump says, nobody will remember it in a week and we'll be off the the outrage races about something else.

To make the point even clearer, here's something that's actually worth getting upset about:

https://cbc.ca/news/business/3m-n95-masks-1.5520326

So yes, the United States is seizing medical supplies already paid for by other countries, in other countries(!), and sending them to the US. This is, of course, completely on-brand for Trump - a superficial grasp of what's "right" for America coupled with a staggering ignorance of the actual situation, leading to the rather extraordinary measure of an American company publically telling the President off for his ignorant short-sightedness.

To further drive home how incredibly stupid this is - Canada is the only source in the world for the wood pulp used in surgical gowns and masks. It is fortunate for the United States that grown-ups are in charge in other countries.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2020

So yes, you're hearing that right. They inherited obsolete tests 3 years ago for a virus that didn't exist until Novmeber 2019. If you pay attention, you'll be amazed at how many narratives coming out of this Administration would literally require Doc Brown and a Delorean to come together.

And then more of this:

Can someone explain to me who "ourselves" is supposed to be in this scenario?? What kind of argument is this?? The United States is made up of.........STATES!!!!
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    edited April 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Can someone explain to me who "ourselves" is supposed to be in this scenario?? What kind of argument is this?? The United States is made up of.........STATES!!!!

Ourselves is Trump is leader of the "Deep State". Get him right wingers. You hate the deep state right? He's killing us and protecting them.
    edited April 2020
    Here's Dr. Drew shifting the goalposts repeatedly.
    EDIT:
    video removed from youtube :/
    Here's conservative media doing the same thing

Conservative media is getting people killed to this day, they're still doing it.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In a move that will surprise no one,

Late on a Friday evening, the time that its said to release unpopular news,

And during a pandemic that should have his complete attention and will make this move just a minor blip in his long line of corrupt behavior,

Trump fires the IG who told congress about the whistleblower complaint.

"As is the case with regard to other positions where I, as President, have the power of appointment ... it is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general," Trump wrote. "That is no longer the case with regard to this Inspector General."

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    @smeagolheart

I've stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh for just the thing you're describing here. For the last 10 years I'd convinced myself that I only listened to Limbaugh to get 'the other side of the the story' but once Trump got in office it became apparent to me that he's just as full of shit as the other so-called 'conservatives' on the radio-waves that I stopped listening to years ago (Hannity, Levin and the God-awful Michael Savage PhD "buy my book" asshole). Limbaugh used to be a source of conservative values but he's become a total Trump sycophant. Disgusting that I have no source of news that I totally trust anymore...
    smeagolheart

I've stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh for just the thing you're describing here. For the last 10 years I'd convinced myself that I only listened to Limbaugh to get 'the other side of the the story' but once Trump got in office it became apparent to me that he's just as full of shit as the other so-called 'conservatives' on the radio-waves that I stopped listening to years ago (Hannity, Levin and the God-awful Michael Savage PhD "buy my book" asshole). Limbaugh used to be a source of conservative values but he's become a total Trump sycophant. Disgusting that I have no source of news that I totally trust anymore...

Reuters is probably the best neutral-writing news source. They stick to the facts, do not inject opinion into the articles, and if they do, they clearly state whose opinion it is.

Many newspapers use Reuters for their "news" articles, then fill the rest with opinion pieces regarding the news. It's like when news casters say something like "now more about this subject and the impact it will have, we turn to expert #1 to tell us how to think." Reuters never does crap like this.

If you can think for yourself, then just use them.
    edited April 2020
    @smeagolheart

I might have mentioned it but we're working from home. The bodies are piling up in my state, not as bad as NY but bad enough.

My Rush Limbaugh listening co-worker has called this "mass hysteria" and yesterday he was whining about when are we all going back in to the office? Luckily for my life and my kids, my boss realizes the situation a little better than that guy goes and disagreed for now.

Scary stuff the echo chamber puts in your ear as demonstrated in those videos.
    edited April 2020
    Trump Team is approaching the pandemic as a money making scheme. This is why they don't want ANY oversight. Want to know how it works?

1.) Eliminate oversight of the spending of nearly a trillion dollars of tax dollars: https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/490737-stimulus-opens-new-front-in-trumps-oversight-fight

2.) Aquire the authority to command which businesses get which contracts:
    3.) Have cronies and yes-men stand up companies through which the money can be funneled (3 week old company, founded through a loan approved via the Coronavirus Stimulus bill, is now the center of medical supply distribution): https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184 “I don’t want to overstate, but we probably represent the largest global supply chain for Covid-19 supplies right now,” he said. “We are getting ready to fill 100 million-unit mask orders.”

4.) Have the federal government sell, at a reduced price, it’s strategic stockpile to the new companies, run by your buddies:
    5.) Have the states bid on the supplies, driving up the price:
    6.) Have the federal government spend taxpayer dollars to ship supplies purchased from China to these brand new private companies: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/29/823543513/project-airbridge-to-expedite-arrival-of-needed-supplies-white-house-says?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

7.) Eliminate the competition around the world. Attack any company that doesn’t play ball. https://mothership.sg/2020/04/trump-3m-10-million-masks/
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Trump Team is approaching the pandemic as a money making scheme. This is why they don't want ANY oversight. Want to know how it works?

1.) Eliminate oversight of the spending of nearly a trillion dollars of tax dollars: https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/490737-stimulus-opens-new-front-in-trumps-oversight-fight

2.) Aquire the authority to command which businesses get which contracts:
    3.) Have cronies and yes-men stand up companies through which the money can be funneled (3 week old company, founded through a loan approved via the Coronavirus Stimulus bill, is now the center of medical supply distribution): https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184 “I don’t want to overstate, but we probably represent the largest global supply chain for Covid-19 supplies right now,” he said. “We are getting ready to fill 100 million-unit mask orders.”

4.) Have the federal government sell, at a reduced price, it’s strategic stockpile to the new companies, run by your buddies:
    5.) Have the states bid on the supplies, driving up the price:
    6.) Have the federal government spend taxpayer dollars to ship supplies purchased from China to these brand new private companies: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/29/823543513/project-airbridge-to-expedite-arrival-of-needed-supplies-white-house-says?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

7.) Eliminate the competition around the world. Attack any company that doesn’t play ball. https://mothership.sg/2020/04/trump-3m-10-million-masks/

But remember: Trump is fighting corruption around the world! /s
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Apparently both Erdrogan and Trump are reading from the same playbook:

"Coronavirus: Turkey seizes hundreds of ventilators paid for by Spain in move ‘bordering on criminality’"
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-turkey-spain-ventilators-medical-equipment-seized-a9447216.html

"Coronavirus: Germany and France accuse US of taking face masks as international tensions rise"
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-germany-france-accus-united-states-america-taking-face-masks-ppe-shortage-a9447141.html
    Trump now isn't just advocating taking hydroxychloroquine to mitigate the effects of the virus after you have it (which may have some limited results), he is openly advocating people start taking it preemptively. Which means he is basically now pitching it as a vaccine. There are people who actually need this drug (those with lupus for starters). He is literally saying "try it if you like it" like it's a fucking vitamin supplement from GNC.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    @jjstraka34 The other problem is with hydroxychloroquine or Plaquenil is it can mess your eyes up. I had to have my eye doctor a baseline Plaquenil screening test, then have them checked yearly in addition to a yearly exam.
    jonesr65 wrote: »
    @jjstraka34 The other problem is with hydroxychloroquine or Plaquenil is it can mess your eyes up. I had to have my eye doctor a baseline Plaquenil screening test, then have them checked yearly in addition to a yearly exam.

He's hawking it like it's over the counter Nyquil.
    It's impossible for me to even contemplate how I'd feel this way given the Bush years were when my politics were formed, but I'd get on my knees and thank whatever higher power there is if even HE was back in charge at this point. Do you know what a colossal disaster you have to be to make George W. Bush seem like a competent leader in a crisis??:

It's impossible for me to even contemplate how I'd feel this way given the Bush years were when my politics were formed, but I'd get on my knees and thank whatever higher power there is if even HE was back in charge at this point. Do you know what a colossal disaster you have to be to make George W. Bush seem like a competent leader in a crisis??:

And he tried. The story behind it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html

If it's paywalled, basically the federal government offered up a RFP to create an inexpensive ventilator that could be mass produced. The winning bid went to a small indi company for California who got as far as making a working prototype that everyone was excited for. That company was quickly bought by a larger medical supply company - who made their own expensive ventilators - who let the project stagnate until the federal government cancelled the project so that they could create another RFP and start from scratch (which was done just a couple of years ago and the winning bid was a large international company with no fear of being bought out).

Capitalism at its finest.
    The leaked audio of the acting Secretary of the Navy calling the commander of the ship "naive and stupid" and the entire crew instantaneously turning on him is really quite a listen.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2020
    The leaked audio of the acting Secretary of the Navy calling the commander of the ship "naive and stupid" and the entire crew instantaneously turning on him is really quite a listen.

I wondered what kind of response he got from the crew. Do you known where it is posted at I'd like to listen to it. I saw the news clip on CNN where all the sailors cheer the Captain as he left the ship.

Never mind I found it
    A preview of November:

And a quote in which Trump reveals what he truly thinks (in fact, he always does, and then people just pretend he didn't say it):

"Shouldn't be allowed to win". Frame that one right next to "15 cases and it's soon going to be zero" and "I take no responsibility at all".
    edited April 2020

So the partisan Republican hacks controlling the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to endanger American lives, what about the state court which has a 4-2 conservative majority in their supreme court?

-> Wisconsin's Supreme Court blocked Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' order to postpone Tuesday's election, despite his arguments that in-person voting could endanger poll workers and voters.

The court sided with Republicans who control the state legislature and opposed Evers' executive order Monday that sought to delay the election until June 9. The decision was 4-2, with the court's conservative majority backing the GOP's position.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/wisconsin-primary-election/index.html

Republicans want people to die. They don't want people to be able to vote safely. They are an evil organization top to bottom it seems.

So the partisan Republican hacks controlling the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to endanger American lives, what about the state court which has a 4-2 conservative majority in their supreme court?

-> Wisconsin's Supreme Court blocked Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' order to postpone Tuesday's election, despite his arguments that in-person voting could endanger poll workers and voters.

The court sided with Republicans who control the state legislature and opposed Evers' executive order Monday that sought to delay the election until June 9. The decision was 4-2, with the court's conservative majority backing the GOP's position.

Republicans want people to die. They don't want people to be able to vote safely. They are an evil organization top to bottom it seems.

If this lasts till November, I wonder if you will sing the same tune when it is the republicans wanting to postpone the election with arguments of endangering poll workers and voters.
    edited April 2020
    deltago wrote: »

If this lasts till November, I wonder if you will sing the same tune when it is the republicans wanting to postpone the election with arguments of endangering poll workers and voters.

This is why Democrats were trying to get universal mail-in voting in the stimulus bill. Republicans are not just against it, Trump himself has said it is inherently crooked by DEFAULT, despite HE HIMSELF voting by mail and, you know, EVERY active member of the military. They know actual access to the ballot for everyone is death to their party. They've known this for a decade. If you ask them, they'll admit it to you. They do so all the time. Again, check Trump's quote today. Not that Democrats winning would be bad for the country. That they SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO. As if criticizing his historic, epic failure in this crisis is somehow dirty pool.

Authoritarians don't actually gain unlimited power by "making the trains run on time". That's a cute phrase, but it's rarely ever true. They do it by creating a series of crisis (whether purposefully or by incompetence, usually a mixture of both) and using the ensuing to chaos to make sure any barrier to their continued hold on power is eliminated entirely. The worse they perform, the closer they get to their goal.

But I mean, if you wanna place bets on Republicans allowing everyone to vote by mail (which Democrats are CLEARLY on the record advocating wholeheartedly), I will let you name the amount you'd like to put up for grabs. Because it would be free money.

This is why Democrats were trying to get universal mail-in voting in the stimulus bill. Republicans are not just against it, Trump himself has said it is inherently crooked by DEFAULT, despite HE HIMSELF voting by mail and, you know, EVERY active member of the military. They know actual access to the ballot for everyone is death to their party. They've known this for a decade. If you ask them, they'll admit it to you. They do so all the time.

Oh I agree with this 10000%

But I also think that elections (at least in the united states) should not be postponed for any reason.

This is why Democrats were trying to get universal mail-in voting in the stimulus bill. Republicans are not just against it, Trump himself has said it is inherently crooked by DEFAULT, despite HE HIMSELF voting by mail and, you know, EVERY active member of the military. They know actual access to the ballot for everyone is death to their party. They've known this for a decade. If you ask them, they'll admit it to you. They do so all the time.

But I also think that elections (at least in the united states) should not be postponed for any reason.

What we know for an absolute certainty is that all things we've been told we "can't do" have been revealed to be bullshit by this pandemic. We've been told we can't pay for certain things, yet we are coming up with trillions of dollars out of thin air. Many of us were told we couldn't work from home, yet we are now working from home with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. Voting by mail is the ONLY way to ensure everyone's right (and it is a right) is not infringed in November. The "choice" between killing thousands of people and walking out on election day is not a "choice" at all. There is only one solution. That solution just so happens to eradicate the GOP's decades long war on voting rights, which they damn well know is the only reason they are still in any semblance of power.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    jonesr65 wrote: »

He's hawking it like it's over the counter Nyquil.

Ah, dang, I put a video about this in the other thread.

What we know for an absolute certainty is that all things we've been told we "can't do" have been revealed to be bullshit by this pandemic. We've been told we can't pay for certain things, yet we are coming up with trillions of dollars out of thin air. Many of us were told we couldn't work from home, yet we are now working from home with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. Voting by mail is the ONLY way to ensure everyone's right (and it is a right) is not infringed in November. The "choice" between killing thousands of people and walking out on election day is not a "choice" at all. There is only one solution. That solution just so happens to eradicate the GOP's decades long war on voting rights, which they damn well know is the only reason they are still in any semblance of power.

Agree.

But cancelling elections work more in the GOP favour. Cancel one, for any reason, GOP and there enablers will attempt cancel more for lesser reasons. Once you establish it can be done, they will attempt to do it over and over again. There is no reason to give them an excuse to do so.