Skip to content

Multiplayer problems

BGMattBGMatt Member Posts: 30
Hi,

My brother and I bought BG:EE with the hopes of playing it together but we've had a somewhat problematic experience with multiplayer. I am attempting to host (and have opened the ports on my route as listed here: link), but we have only had about 5% success rate in him being able to join the game. For some strange reason it seems to be fairly random whether he gets in or not, but in about 95% of attempts to join a server I create he just get's stuck at the "Waiting for information from the server" message immediately after he tries to join.

I was going to follow all the instructions at the above link, but at step 4 but I cannot even find the BCConfig file, and there is no option in BG:EE to do the following: Multiplayer > Connect > Protocol > TCP/IP.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? How are people reliably playing this game online? I'm guessing that guide is rather out of date, but didn't see anything more recent...

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    do you guys have the same version number? also, is your frame rate the same?

if those arent the same, you will never be able to connect successfully
  • BGMattBGMatt Member Posts: 30
    Thanks. Strangely he can actually connect occasionally, and has done a couple of times, with no other changes to either game...and then literally a few minutes later he cannot connect. Example of that today was that he left to change his profile name (from default player to his actual name) but then he was unable to join again on all following attempts. With that I'd assume that we have the same version etc..but will check regardless. I think the problem must be something else...
    So I checked our versions - we both have the same (i.e. latest update). Same frame rate too.

I thought it could be port related, but it is really doesn't make sense that he can sometimes connect, but other times (most of the time) get's stuck waiting for info from the server. He tried hosting and I was never able to join, but he's not familiar with router settings so hadn't opened any ports so I didn't expect it to work that way round.

Are there any other more foolproof ways of hosting a game that he can join?
    Thanks, rolling back isn't a viable option for us, we have made too much progress and it would take us way too long to get back to where we are at. As for the other suggestions.

I'm not sure I fully understand the recommendations in the second link. We both turned off our software firewalls as per the instructions, then I fowarded ports listed here to my IPv4 address (static), and gave my brother the IPv4 that hamachi generates. We still had some connection issues, what would the next step be in trouble shooting? Was the second link suggesting that I forward ALL ports? Is that safe?