Skip to content

[v1.72] Warlock Mod

Comments

• hughesdylanhughesdylan Member Posts: 1
    Excellent mod! Just what I was looking for. Is there a way to make this less micro intensive? It autocasts self-buffs like it should, but I can't seem to make it auto-cast eldritch blast even once. If not no worries, but it would make this class much more fun to play. :) I've tried nearly every combination in the script to no avail.
  • JabberwarlockyJabberwarlocky Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Love the Mod! Really amazing work ,but I do have an issue with SoD installed, basically I get a message about "placeholders," and "crown of lies," when trying to build a new character. Also the UI changes into something very incomplete and weird looking and I can't play SoD as a result.

It runs fine on BGEE and BGEE2 though. I just wondered if this was a deliberate? If so fine, but I really wanted to play a warlock through all the games! :D
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2019
    @Jabberwarlocky

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71305/mod-dlc-merger-merge-steam-gog-sod-dlc-or-custom-dlcs-with-the-main-game

I'm going to have to add a message to the front of each of my mod pages linking them to this at this point. Not aiming this at you in particular, just a general statement.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited June 2019
    @AionZ Nobody reads readmes :tongue: Better to add +1 to the request this weidu next generation - build-in modmerge requirements check since it would solve problem globally for all mods and modders.
  • JabberwarlockyJabberwarlocky Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the answers. I must have missed the readme. Sorry!
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Is this class a shaman kit?
  • The_Last_ExileThe_Last_Exile Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get this mod to work for some reason. I have tried every way I know how to install it.
    ERROR locating resource for 'APPEND'
    Resource [SPLPROT.2DA] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Keeps coming up
  • ShardtheFoxShardtheFox Member Posts: 1
    I had some issues when rescuing haerdalis from the planar prison. If the PC is a warlock, then haerdalis gets a broken dialog and exits out of it without teleporting the party out. I looked at the dialog trees using DLTCEP, and it looks like you made 2 checks,

Class(Player1,BARD_ALL)
    !Kit(Player1,C0WLOCK)

Which leads to the player getting the bard stronghold
    and

!Class(Player1,BARD_ALL)
    !Kit(Player1,C0WLOCK)

Which leads to the player not getting the bard stronghold

The dialogue fails because theres no option for both bard and warlock. I couldn't figure out how to add it, since i've never wrote a mod, but i did get a work around using EE keeper to change my PC to a bard-blade, doing the dialog, then eekeeper'ing back to a warlock. The downside is that i get the bard stronghold, but I'm just glad im not softlocked.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    having an issue. in BGII any time I play a warlock and go to free haerdalis and his troop from the planer prison i get the no valid respons bug when he starts talking and regardless of if I want him in the party or not I am forced to use the console to leave the planer prison. the quest completes so not a big deal unless I want to have him join me. Just thought I'd tell you. my work around involves going into eekeeper and changing to a different class for the quest line then switching back when I have him but thats not ideal as setting up the warlock again can be tedious.
  • GnollGnoll Member Posts: 24
    This looks really cool! I had a roleplay idea for a good warlock to have a patron be a fallen angel that seeks redemption, but their current state means the powers granted are more demonic/eldritch.

I may have missed it, so sorry if that's the case, how many incantations can a warlock know at any time between the least, lesser, greater, and dark? Thanks!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Gnoll
    Warlocks learn 3 invocations of each grade, not counting blast shapes which are learned automatically as you level. You can learn up to 4 per grade by taking HLAs.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What is meant by the beta spell learning system?
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited November 2019
    Gnoll wrote: »
    I may have missed it, so sorry if that's the case, how many incantations can a warlock know at any time between the least, lesser, greater, and dark? Thanks!
    I started a warlock run recently and am now at about 60k XP (level 7 on the rogue XP table). At this level I have 1 lesser invocation and 3 least invocations.
    Some of the invocations become more powerful if your charisma score is high e.g. increased buff effects or save penalties for enemies. It uses your current Cha score rather than the base stat so I suggest maxing your Cha on character creation and obtaining the tome and Algernon's cloak as soon as possible. I presume that the invocation that boosts Cha would then raise the power of subsequent invocations but of course it takes up one of your limited invocations available so build your character judiciously. This tactic would be of more usefulness at higher levels when there are more different invocations to play with.

It is really an interesting class to play with the blast shapes and effects that are possible. You can still use all the arcane wands like a bard and also pick pockets. No bard song, no spell scrolls and no familiar. The only downside is needing to keep charname individually selected during the casting of eldritch blast which can disrupt party micro management in battle. Over time you learn to give commands to charname last, just in case you have to wait for aura to clear.

You can swap out an invocation when you level up and the progression seems to be that you gain a new one every second level up.

I will give more feedback here after level cap.
    Post edited by Very_BigSword on
    @AionZ The class seems promising so far, but for buff spells and essences, why not make them permanent until dispelled for the sake of convenience? Since you seemingly want only one blast essence at a time, make it so choosing one essence (including a 'use no essence' ability) disables any previously-active essence.

I was also disappointed to learn that The Dead Walk only lasts 1 hour when animate dead in this game lasts 8 hours and that charm lasts only 5 rounds when in 3.5 (the Warlock's native edition) it lasts 1 day (24 hours) per caster level! I know dire charm in BG only lasts 5 rounds
    @Very_BigSword Where can we find the table of when invocations are learned by Warlock level?
  • Lolguy123Lolguy123 Member Posts: 1
    In the bard subclasses is say invalid:34000
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Very_BigSword Where can we find the table of when invocations are learned by Warlock level?

It does not appear to be published anywhere and is not in class description either. Would probably require NI or equivalent software to check "under the hood". Or @AionZ might be kind enough to post it somewhere.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Small update to Eldritch Chain and a bonus for IWD:

Eldritch Chain and its variants now functions like IWD-Chain lightning: chains to one extra target per 3 levels, dealing 1d6 reduced damage per target.
    Added 2 warlock items to IWD (check front page)
    FlashburnGusinda
    The original 3 warlock items are missing from EET.
  • SiebenfingerSiebenfinger Member Posts: 9
    Hey

I stumbled over your Warlock mod about a month ago when I fired up a new EET installation. And I like it a lot!

Magic, fire and darkness. Exactly how I like to roll.

Just a bit bummed that you chose to update the mod right in the middle of my playthrough now :P I tried converting my save game to a new install today, but it does look like that Flashburn is right and the Warlock items are missing in the new version. (Or something went wrong in my process).

I do like the chain update very much conceptually, by the way. Before, it was practically the level 19 talent with less damage. But I didn't test the new version yet.

I love pretty much everything about the Warlock. Very strong in BG1, especially in a small party (I played with Vicky only). Essentially the only spells I used anyways plus the thieves' sweet style and weapons. Let's see how he will hold up in the second part.

But then again in BG2, I will have more companions to compensate anyway, because there they are more fun. The only thing I'm worried about a little actually is how the demons can hold up with scs, Ascension and atweaks' improved fiends bexause that doesn't seem to improve the Warlock's too. If that's somehow possible to make them scale with tactical mods, that would be my only suggestion for improvement.

Hope I didn't bore you to death with this wall of text. Best kit mod I have played in all my 15 years still, and not only when it comes to style <3
    @Siebenfinger
    If you install aTweaks after the Warlock mod, it can affect the HLA demon summons if you choose the "mod added fiends" option for the PnP Fiends component.
    Siebenfinger
    @Flashburn It does? Okay, interesting. I strictly followed the EET tool's installation order and there in the list it is the other way round. Plus, I think I read on some atweaks readme that it doesn't work on all mods. But I'll definitely try, thank you very much.

Would you have a recommendation if it's better to install the Warlock mod pre EET or atweaks post EET for that by any chance?
    EET first, then Warlock, then aTweaks.
    Siebenfinger
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited April 2020
    I love warlock, but honestly, the duration of invokations on this mod seems too low. Like nwn2. Any way to make it scale with your caster level like the mod warlock reworked for nwn2?

And is not only the duration that remembers the ultra nerfed nwn2 version. WORD OF CHANGING in P&P is supposed to be a permanent.

Would be great if the duration and spells was more akin to complete arcane than NWN2. With HUNGRY DARKNESS invocations and more P&P like invocations.

To quote the complete arcane, you can buy the original here > https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/3733/Complete-Arcane-35

on the page 132 and 133

eRgXQX7.png
    q7XaYw3.png

Remember that you can rest scum, so the daily limit is not a huge sorc/wiz problem..
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    Hey @SorcererV1ct0r, it does look like the choice was deliberate if you look into the non-evil HLAs (50% longer duration). Probably for balance. And since I was able to almost completely solo BG1+scs+Ascension, I agree.

With the Skeleton Warrior, one hour is even more handy actually, so you don't need to always kill it when zone travelling in a dungeon. Flee the scene is super strong already. Chilling Tentacles is mega cool style wise but even with longer duration, it can't even begin to compete with Vitriolic and Electrifying Blast and Devour Magic in that tier in my opinion.

Concerning Word of Changing I'm not convinced that the game (or the Warlock) needs another instakill mechanic to be honest. Sure, Project Image, Mislead, Finger of Death/Disintegrate/Imprisonment is still better and leads to 20+ casts too, and even without resting. But either it's bad because no saving throw malus and you won't use it. Or it's good and you will never use eldritch blast again since you have infinite casts. Therefore I do like the Shapechange a lot better, even if it might be a bit too weak in the late game.
    edited April 2020
    it does look like the choice was deliberate if you look into the non-evil HLAs (50% longer duration). Probably for balance. And since I was able to almost completely solo BG1+scs+Ascension, I agree.

With the Skeleton Warrior, one hour is even more handy actually, so you don't need to always kill it when zone travelling in a dungeon. Flee the scene is super strong already. Chilling Tentacles is mega cool style wise but even with longer duration, it can't even begin to compete with Vitriolic and Electrifying Blast and Devour Magic in that tier in my opinion.

Concerning Word of Changing I'm not convinced that the game (or the Warlock) needs another instakill mechanic to be honest. Sure, Project Image, Mislead, Finger of Death/Disintegrate/Imprisonment is still better and leads to 20+ casts too, and even without resting. But either it's bad because no saving throw malus and you won't use it. Or it's good and you will never use eldritch blast again since you have infinite casts. Therefore I do like the Shapechange a lot better, even if it might be a bit too weak in the late game.

Well, honestly, warlocks looks far waker than sorcerers. There are people who soloed the game as thiefs but thieves are one of the weakest classes.

My point is that i love warlock, but the Complete Arcane, 3.5e warlock, not the ultra nerfed nwn2 version.

Is hard for me to myself mod the script on the game and make a alternative version of the mod that makes the warlock more P&P like? If yes, does the author allow me to create a more P&P like WLK? With a proper grapple routine to chilling tentacles instead of a save, with P&P duration for invokations, and more invocations that won't appear on 2e?

Other question. If i do that, can i get intro trouble since complete arcane is non OGL? If i wanna to distribuite the mod, should i ask permission from complete arcane IP holders? If yes, how i contact then? I wanna make this mod more P&P like but seems that will be a lot of hard work to do in a lawful way.

WLK on nwn2 are weak because their invocations last nothing, deals almost no damage compared to sorcerer's spells and resting isn't a problem on both games... Warlock reworked mod fixes it.
  • KhoanKhoan Member Posts: 1
    It seems there are still a conflict with regards to the Planar Prison quest. Does anyone now of a workaround?
    Well, honestly, warlocks looks far waker than sorcerers. There are people who soloed the game as thiefs but thieves are one of the weakest classes.
    I can only speak for what I know from my game and the first page here. That he felt it hard to balance infinite casting.

I don't know what the intended power level is or how exactly it is in 3.5e D&D. Or how to code, sorry.

I just know that Warlock here is very strong. I mean, if you take rest scumming into account, every class needs to go through the roof power level wise, because nothing will ever beat a sorcerer even without it. And then Warlock is pretty much directly below the mages in the food chain already.

Thieves are only one of the weakest *solo* characters by the way. Put in one caster for "Wish" (or rest enough...) and your whole party will never take damage anymore. Potentially. And stealth is mega OP in all of BG1, too.

Also, balancing for solo strength is pretty bad design to be honest.

I do get that feeling that you would want it to be more like in PnP, but mages for instance aren't exactly like in PnP either for example. There will always be differences.
    edited April 2020
    I can only speak for what I know from my game and the first page here. That he felt it hard to balance infinite casting.

I don't know what the intended power level is or how exactly it is in 3.5e D&D. Or how to code, sorry.

I just know that Warlock here is very strong. I mean, if you take rest scumming into account, every class needs to go through the roof power level wise, because nothing will ever beat a sorcerer even without it. And then Warlock is pretty much directly below the mages in the food chain already.

Thieves are only one of the weakest *solo* characters by the way. Put in one caster for "Wish" (or rest enough...) and your whole party will never take damage anymore. Potentially. And stealth is mega OP in all of BG1, too.

Also, balancing for solo strength is pretty bad design to be honest.

I do get that feeling that you would want it to be more like in PnP, but mages for instance aren't exactly like in PnP either for example. There will always be differences.

Mages aren't exactly like P&P, but their spells works very like P&P. Including the chance of Elementals going berserk against the PC. And even Wish is implemented(which is hard to translate to CRPG). About the justification of balance... Balance is what makes most modern RPGs trash. Sword Coast Legends destroyed the D&D ruleset and one of justifications was balance. Imagine if on VtMB, they decided to remove nosferatu or make the deformity curse like just a single less seduction dot. The game would be far more balanced, but would't represent the curse of deformity. Hell, imagine if they removed all clans but Toreador. The game would be amazing balanced. Balance is against variety and immersion. People who are downloading mods already finished BG2 multiple times. And having mages/sorcerers invocations becoming each lv up better while warlock evocations are all the same doesn't seems balanced IMO.

About you 've said "Warlock is pretty much directly below the mages in the food chain already. "

Meaning that warlocks are weaker than mages, when on P&P, they should be as good as mages, just different. Just like a Druid is a more natureish version of a Cleric, a Warlock is a helllish version of a arcane caster. Just like most spells of mages scale with their caster level, most invocations of warlocks scale with their caster level. This applies to Wall of Periculous flame on P&P which lasts CL rounds and deals 2d6 + CASTER LEVEL, chilling tentacles which on P&P, was one of the best invocations. Lasting 4 rounds and not getting a grapple remembers me of nwn2...

On NWN2, not only the spell doesn't scale with your level but has a fixed +5 AB(and a caster level = 1 would have a +AB of 9 on P&P, almost the double). Warlocks would't get Chilling Tentacles before lv 11. On NWN2, to HIT(not grapple) a enemy with 25 AC, a lv 30 warlock would need to score a critical, while a lv 11 WLK on 3.5e, would have 19 attack bonus(11+8) needing to score only 6 or having 70% of chance of grappling the enemy. The invocation can work with a huge nerf on lv 11, but on high level gameplay, become worthless.

IDK much about modding, but if the author allows me, i will learn and make warlock more P&P like. Where leveling your warlock will have a impact on your invocations.

I really believe that this mod will gonna make warlocks stronger on BG1 and even earlier chapters on BG2. But warlock seems worthless for high level play;
    Technically, he's only below mages in the food chain because of the things that break the PnP rules for mages in the game.

Thing is also, in PnP balance is pretty much what your DM makes of it. Hmm, the group has a caster level of 1.7k - let's buff the bad guys a bit. Hmm, the player did say he snuck up from behind very believably - worse saving throw for the other one.

But in a computer game you *need* standardising and therefore balancing. Because there is no DM.

Also how is a Warlock worthless in late game? Electrifying Blast has a huge -6 save modifier on a stun. Utterdark the same on a huge level drain. Vitriolic Blast totally ignores MR by itself. And they all have a cast time of 0 with the gloves. His Dispel Magic is insane thanks to his Bard level table. Invisibility is still the strongest defensive spell in the game with very few exceptions. If atweaks really does work on the Warlock's Gates, his HLAs are downright insane. Otherwise, he's still going up to ~25d10 Hellfire Bolts every round.

The only think he lacks is burst damage and contingencies. Can't have everything.

To be honest, to me it looks like you love the tentacles and the wall so much you just want them to work like you're used to. That's totally fair and I get that.

But let's leave it at that then, because then we're just arguing on opinions, which is futile. In a game where there's only so many different situations, there will always be good and worse spells. I can live with tentacles being bad and you can't. I do respect that and I wish you success should you try your hands on modding too. Maybe I'll even give your changes a shot, why not.

Peace