Skip to content

[KIT MOD] Pale Master Sorcerer Kit v1.4.5 (re-upload)

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited December 2018 in General Modding
The Pale Master is a component of The Artisan's Kitpack mod. Download it here:

Kit Description

PALE MASTER: Necromancy is usually a poor choice for arcane spellcasters -- those who really want to master the deathless arts almost always pursue divine means. However, an alternative exists for those who desire power over undead but refuse to give up their arcane craft completely. Enter the pale master, who draws on a font of special lore that provides a macabre power all its own.

Advantages:
- 1st level: Gains Boneskin.

BONESKIN: The pale master's tough, cadaverous flesh gives them a +1 to AC (+2 at 7th, +3 at 13th).

- 2nd level: May use Animate Dead once per day.

ANIMATE DEAD: As per the mage and cleric spell, summons an allied skeleton warrior to serve the caster.

- 3rd level: Gains Deathless Vigor.

DEATHLESS VIGOR: The pale master’s body becomes more akin to the undying flesh of his undead associates. Gains infravision, immunity to sleep and +1 to saves vs. death (+2 at 8th, +3 at 13th).

- 6th level: The pale master gives in to terrible necrophiliac urges. He cuts off his arm and replaces it with an undead prosthetic, which may be skeletal in form or preserved flesh stitched in place like that of a flesh golem. May use Undead Graft twice per day.

UNDEAD GRAFT: The pale master touches a target with a ghoulish hand. Target must save vs. death or be held for 5 rounds.

- 10th level: Undead Graft saving throw at -1.
- 12th level: Gains Tough as Bone.

TOUGH AS BONE: The pale master becomes more and more like one of the implacable undead. Immunity to hold, stun and poison.

- 14th level: Undead Graft saving throw at -2.
- 15th level: May use Create Skeleton Abomination once per day.

CREATE SKELETON ABOMINATION: Summons a powerful skeleton abomination to serve the caster for 2 hours.

- 16th level: The pale master's touch becomes deadly and can instantly kill a target. May use Deathless Master's Touch twice per day.

DEATHLESS MASTER'S TOUCH: The pale master touches a target with a life-snuffing hand. Target must save vs. death with a -3 penalty or die instantly.

- 18th level: Undead Graft saving throw at -3.
- 20th level: Gains Deathless Mastery.

DEATHLESS MASTERY: The pale masters are practically undead creatures themselves. Immunity to death magic and level drain.

- Hit Die: d6

Disadvantages:
- May cast one fewer spell of each level per day.
- Alignment restricted to non-good.
- Incurs a -2 penalty to Charisma.

Custom Biography

"Despite your foster father's many attempts to dissuade you, necromancy has always been your foremost fascination. Over the years, you have learned to focus the raw magic within you in ways that confound even the most sagacious priests of Oghma. The dead, you have often claimed, make for better company than the living, and when they speak to you now, they promise even greater power beyond the walls of Candlekeep.

You know little of how you came to be a ward of Gorion's, but over the years you have gleaned something of your mother's tale from his vague allusions and from the words he sometimes uttered in tear-filled sleep. She was a human from Silverymoon and a friend of his for many seasons. As you have no memory of her, nor any keepsakes to remind you of her existence, you have come to believe that she died while giving birth to you. Perhaps it was the pain of such a parting that led Gorion to cloister himself within the narrow halls of Candlekeep and raise you as his own. Of your father, you have learned nothing."

Abilities

ANIMATE DEAD

This spell causes a skeleton warrior to rise and serve the caster under any conditions. The type of skeleton warrior that appears depends upon the level of the wizard casting the spell.
1st - 6th: a 3 HD skeleton warrior wielding a long sword.
7th - 10th: a 5 HD skeleton warrior wielding a long sword +1.
11th - 14th: a 7 HD skeleton warrior wielding a bastard sword +1.
15th and up: a 9 HD skeleton warrior wielding a two-handed sword +1.
The skeleton warrior can follow the caster, remain in an area and attack any creature entering the place, etc. It remains animated until it is destroyed in combat, 8 hours pass, or it is turned.

UNDEAD GRAFT

When this spell is cast, the Pale Master touches the target with his undead prosthesis. The target must save vs. death or be held for 5 rounds. Saving throws decrease by -1 every four levels until -3 at level 18.

CREATE SKELETON ABOMINATION

This spell causes a powerful skeleton abomination to rise and serve the caster under any conditions. The skeleton abomination strikes as a +3 magical weapon. The skeleton abomination can follow the caster, remain in an area and attack any creature entering the place, etc. It remains animated until it is destroyed in combat, 2 hours pass, or it is turned. This spell cannot be dispelled.

DEATHLESS MASTER'S TOUCH

When this spell is cast, the Pale Master touches the target with his undead prosthesis. The target must save. vs. death with a -3 penalty or die instantly.

Extra: Ring of Wizardry Change

The Ring of Wizardry is extremely buggy when used together with mages that have modified spell slots. To work around it, this optional component modifies the ring to provide four bonus level 1 spells instead of doubling the base amount.

Download Link

Post edited by TheArtisan on
GrammarsaladStefanOContemplative_HamsterCrevsDaakZaghoulKamigoroshi_Luke_SorcererV1ct0r

Comments

• StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    If Tom Riddle (aka Lord Voldemort) could cross the dimensions of international copyright law I'm sure he would visit the sword coast as a Pale Master Sorcerer.

Great job!
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2017
    Doggonit @Artemius_I I was TRYING to wean myself OFF the undead stuff :)
    This dude looks nice and comfortable to play >:) , like sitting back in a easy recliner.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    By the way... What is meant by "necropholiac urges" that involves replacing your arm with an undead prosthetic?

Because it sounds pretty awesome.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @semiticgod

Uhh... I didn't write that. No, really! It was whoever took over the mod after I created the first version that added that little bit of flavor text. I'll assume it's to do with the pale master becoming so enamored with the concept of being an undead being that they'll literally sever off their own living limbs and replace them with undead parts instead to 'feel' more undead (and of course get the paralyzing powers)

By the way, in NWN if you took pale master as a prestige class your character's left arm would actually be replaced with a skeletal arm eventually. It was awesome.
    [Deleted User]
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Sure, sure...

*wink*
    @Artemius_I Have you ever noticed or had reports on particular spells not showing up to choose from when leveling up. To in particular are knock and wraithform. The first time these spell levels are available they are not on the list, but the next time a spell can be chosen from that level they do. Just seems strange. Maybe it is normal for sorcerer classes I don't know, as I have never played one before this. Not really a problem just an observation. Other wise, AWESOME. :)
    edited May 2017
    @Artemius_I Just another observation here. I just moved into SoD with the PM and this was the FIRST kit mod I have used to date that kept the kit name on the CHARNAME info page moving into SoD. Every other kit I have used has to be EEkeeper changed, and even then, the kit name still reverts to the base class, even though the special abilities of the kits are kept.

So, big thanks to whatever was done to have that happen. Nice touch that, I was pleasantly surprised. I am hoping this will keep going into BG2 as well, only time will tell.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited June 2017
    Hello!

I've just attached the Italian translation. Please, could you add it to your mod? It would be really appreciated!
    Aedan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor No, I don't expect any to transfer anymore that's why it was surprising at the time.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I never did anything special to fix the SoD kit display issue. Probably a few old kits that are using outdated fl#add_kit_ee.tpa files.
    I wondered if you had given any more thought to the control undead ability (like the witchlight shaman has)?
    1/day, same thing with increasing ST penalties. It looks like the PM uses the class ideas from the nice ol Libris Mortis book, and that is listed.
    Seems like it would fit as his plan is not only to make new undead but take over old undead (at least for a little while). Not near as powerful as the clerics ability of course but would fit in nicely it would seem, as he develops more of an affinity for undead, and his body becomes more undead-like with lvls. The book has it like 5th lvl I think.
    edited July 2017
    I'm doing a new install for the PM, using Tome and Blood mod in my set up. The Tweaks section is what I am most interested in. Tome n Blood mentioned adding other sorcerer kits beforehand, but only in relation to one option (which I am not really worried about needing THIS option) in regards to Spell Selection Dialog.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31274/mod-beta-tome-and-blood-more-options-for-wizards-and-sorcerers/p1
    From TnB: Requires: Enhanced Engine v2.0 or later. This component fundamentally changes the way that Sorcerers learn new spells. Instead of selecting spells during character creation and at level-up, Sorcerers learn spells via a dialog menu accessible by using the Spell Knowledge ability in the Special Abilities menu.

Other Sorcerer Kit Mods The Spell Selection Dialog component modifies a file that affects all Sorcerer kits, including ones installed by other mods. Install any other mods that add Sorcerer kits before installing this component, or those Sorcerer kits will find themselves unable to learn spells. Note that, currently, the sorcerer kit list the mod uses does not include any other Sorcerer kit mods. Contact me if you would like me to add your kit to the list.

But as the Pale Master has a component to install that makes it compatible with Tome n Blood I figured add the PM AFTER T&B. It did not work and skipped the compatibility option. So no extra changes from TnB were applied.

What are your thoughts on this? Problem with the PM, or try adding PM first(which seems like it still would not detect T&B because it would not even be installed yet.

EDIT: Tried installing PM beforehand, (just for the heck of it) to see if some of the other tweaks like 'Innate find familiar' would work, they don't, and don't give 'innate cantrip option' addition to PM either (necromancy cantrip would obviously be the choice)

EDIT: Couple of other things to give thought to. Spell Revisions (SR) mod has a couple of extra spells that summon different undead, Summon Shadows n wraiths at lvl 5 and summon ghasts n mummies as a lvl 6 spell. THose were the main one I looked at for a PM.
    As you have done some awesome spell work on the Shadow Adept, would it be possible, as an innate ability gained at a certain lvl to summon these other types (like the summon skeleton at 2nd lvl)?
    Not the spell using shadows of the SA of course but the generic in game versions.

Along with the control undead I mentioned earlier from The Witchlight Shaman (that as another spell added in SR).
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Artemius_I , tried to install this on top of an EET install with no success. Any chance of making this one EET friendly?

Thanks!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Did some digging and was able to make it work in EET almost perfectly - the kit description won't show up on the character sheet. Did everything I could, but was not able to fix that.

If you want this copy, let me know. And sorry about messing with your mod, I'm with a party setup in mind that needed a PM.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    You're still working on this mod, aren't you? If so, would you mind adding my translation to it?
    Aedan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Artemius_I
    Any chance to add the translation provided by @Luke93?
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2018
    Is this updated in the Artisans's Kitpack v1.2?
  • RaveRave Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    I don't know if this mod is still supported, but I had the same issue as Zaghoul above. I browsed the .tp2s of both mods and I think I figured out a quick fix for people looking to make them fully compatible once more.

As per PM's .tp2, the kit-related components from this mod are looking for component #0 (core revisions) from T&B to determine which one to install. The problem is that, with how T&B installs, the core revisions are always included, so there is technically no longer a component #0 for PM to recognize.

As an experiment, I switched numbers in two lines of PM's .tp2 (FORBID_COMPONENT under (TOME NOT INSTALLED) and REQUIRE_COMPONENT under (TOME INSTALLED)) from 0 to 5, so that it would recognize T&B's "Rebalanced Spell Schools" component to determine which of the kit-related components to offer me. I picked this one to use because it's the first one T&B gives me a choice as to installing, but since the core revisions are always included and as long as the component used is installed before PM and the numbers in the .tp2 are switched to recognize it, it really shouldn't matter which of T&B's offered components is used for this.

The result is that it now properly recognizes that I have T&B installed, no longer offers me the non-T&B version, and properly installs the T&B-compatible version.
    Zaghoul
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Started to (re)play IWD with this mod. Only one question. My animate dead is animating d6 undead instead of the single skeleton warrior that you mentioned. IS this right?
  • trebuszętrebuszę Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2022
    This is really cool class kit. I've always liked the Pale Master in NWN game. More on the RP side than power-gaming but still. Recently I'm a fan of everything that Artisan makes :tongue:

Also it happens I've found a perfect portrait for the class (author is unknown I'm afraid).

2obud29g08e4.png

ps. Viconia would still romance this guy wouldn't she?
    Post edited by trebuszę on