2»

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Fair enough
    Blackbɨrd
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    lroumen wrote: »
    Hi @ThacoBell
    I think his point is that "seeing the appeal" is about that you show recognition that others see benefits in playing evil, not necessarily that you personally want the benefits of it.

As example I think you would not make the human leather armor upgrade given what you need to do for it, but you would admit that the armor has undeniable benefits for those players that do create it (hypothetically, I don't know your point of view in this).

I feel the discussion is a bit exploding over semantics.

About the op. I never played with dorn yet through SoA and ToB but I should do so to see where this leads.

Yeah, that's the point I was attempting to get across. You can hate and despise evil but you can see the ''appeal'' and benefits of evil, like evil items etc.

Dorn's fun to play, and in TOB/SOA there are 3 unique locations in total for his quests, and a lot of his own quest content. It should be worth a try.
    edited April 2021
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Blackbɨrd If you insist that I must be able to see the appeal for other people, no I don't. If you think you can decide what I should or should not feel, that doesn't sound like my problem.

@lroumen "I think his point is that "seeing the appeal" is about that you show recognition that others see benefits in playing evil, not necessarily that you personally want the benefits of it."

Doesn't change anything. The idea that someone would enjoy harming others for "entertainment" is alien to me, and more than a little disturbing.

I'm not insisting.

Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
    edited April 2021
    EDIT: Ignore post.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2020
    I understand your arguments and those of others and the passionate drive, but think of it in his place.
    Perhaps acknowledgement of evil benefits touches one of his inner values, or he feels the point has been addressed/stressed/challenged too much, or maybe there is another reason why he will not agree.
    Then let us respect that he will keep disagreeing, let it rest and get back to the topic.

I will give dorn a chance after my current play. Sounds like I have missed out on quite some content. Thanks for bringing this topic to my attention.
    gorgonzolaBlackbɨrdKamigoroshi
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Blackbɨrd Accusing other forumites of trolling is against site rules. If you have a problem with me, report me to the mods and move on.

"I'm not insisting."
    " you can't deny that inside the game there are benefits or even an appeal to being evil."

So, what's this then? You are very insistent that I must not really think the way that I keep saying I do. I SEE NO APPEAL IN EVIL. Its not even a mechanical advantage. No evil item is better than the best good items in the long run. You also have to sacrifice reputation, which has no mechanical benefit. Stop acting like you know me. I have said how I see things, and that is how I see things.
    edited April 2021
    lroumen wrote: »
    I understand your arguments and those of others and the passionate drive, but think of it in his place.
    Perhaps acknowledgement of evil benefits touches one of his inner values, or he feels the point has been addressed/stressed/challenged too much, or maybe there is another reason why he will not agree.
    Then let us respect that he will keep disagreeing, let it rest and get back to the topic.

I will give dorn a chance after my current play. Sounds like I have missed out on quite some content. Thanks for bringing this topic to my attention.

As for Dorn, it's nice to hear you are giving him a try. Even if only, for his quest and additional content. That's quite alright o:)
    edited April 2021
    @Blackbɨrd Accusing other forumites of trolling is against site rules. If you have a problem with me, report me to the mods and move on.

"I'm not insisting."
    " you can't deny that inside the game there are benefits or even an appeal to being evil."

So, what's this then? You are very insistent that I must not really think the way that I keep saying I do. I SEE NO APPEAL IN EVIL. Its not even a mechanical advantage. No evil item is better than the best good items in the long run. You also have to sacrifice reputation, which has no mechanical benefit. Stop acting like you know me. I have said how I see things, and that is how I see things.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Blackbɨrd @ThacoBell
    accusing the other forumites of trolling is indeed a violation of the forums rules, i am sure of that as in the past once i asked to an other forum user something like:"why are you trolling?" then the day after i received a PM from a moderator telling me that it is not an allowed behavior here, that if i feel that someone is trolling or violating the forum rules the only acceptable thing that a forum user can do is to flag the post, so who is in charge can decide if and what to do vs the supposed troll.

the PM was a friendly warning, not an official one, without any consequence, but the moderator was very clear about how to ask to other people to not troll, or to accuse them of trolling has not to be done and that for a future similar violation of the forum rules the consequence will be official, no more only a friendly warning.

i want to share this with you as from my own experience and the feedback i had from a moderator both trolling and accusing someone else to troll are violations to the forum rules and the only allowed behavior if someone thinks that an other person is trolling is to flag the post, explaining in the ticket you open why in your opinion that post is against the forum rules and needs to be moderated.

disclaimer: i am perfectly fine with what happened to me and quite happy that the moderator chose a friendly way to correct my behavior, this post is absolutely not about giving a personal opinion about how the forums are moderated, only to share a feedback i had from a moderator about something that is maybe similar to what is happening here, with a person guessing that an other one is trolling.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I've been avoiding this thread like a hornets' nest but can no longer. This is a fantasy game. I for one have no problem playing any of the alignments because I don't see the protagonist as 'me'. I already have a game where I play me, it's called real life. If I was in the Baldur's Gate world I'd likely be who I am now, a regular Joe trying to eke out a living and support myself and my family, not some adventurer who battles powerful monsters and has a chance to become a God. I'd be just as mundane there as I am here. That wouldn't be a very exciting game...
    gorgonzolaBlackbɨrdKamigoroshi
    edited May 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I already have a game where I play me, it's called real life. If I was in the Baldur's Gate world I'd likely be who I am now, a regular Joe trying.........
    And this is perfectly fine, for you and according to your taste and feelings.
    But for me it is different, i am not able to not being me, but a different version of me that, thanks to the power of reload, the fact that i don't actually feel the fatigue of fighting and walking all day long without a single moment of rest and a different environment can live in a different way.
    it can be a me much stronger that i am, so a fighter me, or a lot wiser, so a cleric me, can have more intelligence or charisma so can be a mage or bard me. and as in the real life there is someone that is born in a situation that gives to him some more opportunities that fictional me can happen to born as a spawn of a god that shares a fragment of his divine soul.
    also my average joe real life can be still interesting, while living in bg2 like an average joe, maybe in a house in the bridge district, chatting every day with rampa and bel dalemark and maybe paying a couple of times a month some money to rose bouquet if i am not married is way less interesting...

but still it is me, a different version that still has my own values and beliefs, i can find no fun in being someone different that has completely different values.
    and this is completely a limitation of mine, am aware of it, but is the only way this average joe can have fun RP a game, i can only side with harry potter, not with you know who, and i can only side with gandalf and aragorn, not with saruman or sauron, i would not have fun doing it.
    i should envy those that are able to RP both the roles, i even understand how they can have fun doing it, maybe i can even envy them for their capability to do it, but for me it is not possible, i have no fun if i try to do it.

Balrog99RedRodent
    @Blackbɨrd I am responding to you because you keep insisting that I MUST see the appeal of playing evil. But I don't think that way, I do not understand the kind of thinking that makes evil seem fun. Its completely alien to me. And telling me what I can or cannot think, or that I MUST think a certain way is wrong.

I'm not trying to change how you play, only understand that I think differently than you and that its not intellectually dishonest or wrong to do so.
    RedRodent
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Why would anyone who can’t see the point of playing evil even post a comment on a thread like this? Makes no sense to me
    BlackbɨrdKamigoroshiRyz009
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    @Blackbɨrd I am responding to you because you keep insisting that I MUST see the appeal of playing evil. But I don't think that way, I do not understand the kind of thinking that makes evil seem fun. Its completely alien to me. And telling me what I can or cannot think, or that I MUST think a certain way is wrong.

I'm not trying to change how you play, only understand that I think differently than you and that its not intellectually dishonest or wrong to do so.

I find that when I play evil it's not the kind of slaughter babies, rape commoners, burn the forest because I can, type of evil. That would indeed 'not' be fun for me. The lawful evil - help the commoners because it promotes order and raises my reputation while I build my personal power behind the scenes - or neutral evil - everything that increases my power is acceptable, but I don't go out of my way to be obvious about it - is more my style. If I want to play chaotic evil I normally pump up my intelligence so I don't feel like I have to be a jackass like Dorn who would attack an entire enclave of paladins and clerics because I'm a total moron.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Playing evil has a different kind of appeal for me. Every so often I get tired of being A Good Person and just want to cut loose, but doing so in reality has all sorts of bad consequences - both for myself and for the people around me - so I instead do so in a controlled virtual environment where the worst possible consequence is "my save file can no longer progress."

Stuff like stabbing Gorion, punching out Belt, casting Fireball in the middle of the Nashkel Carnival... that sort of thing.

Blackbɨrd
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Accusations of trolling can indeed only be handled using the "Flag" feature.
    gorgonzola
    Rangeltoft wrote: »
    Why would anyone who can’t see the point of playing evil even post a comment on a thread like this? Makes no sense to me

Beats me.
    edited April 2021

Because I thought maybe somebody found an easter egg by choosing Imoen as the sacrifice. I didn't expect that a thread was started just joke about murdering someone.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    We could mod in a "what the hell, player?" response from Imoen or the rest of the party or both. I mean, half the plot of BG2 is driven by "we need to rescue Imoen from Spellhold."
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited May 2020
    Or "The mage Irenicus is my main concern."

Just for reference: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73624/what-if-imoen-not-exist
    Post edited by dunbar on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Pokota wrote: »
    We could mod in a "what the hell, player?" response from Imoen or the rest of the party or both. I mean, half the plot of BG2 is driven by "we need to rescue Imoen from Spellhold."
    She was destined to die at Spellhold anyway. It's just that there was a sliiiight oversight on the devs' part. And now players have to correct the mistake on their own... by force. :smirk:
    Blackbɨrd
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Because I thought maybe somebody found an easter egg by choosing Imoen as the sacrifice. I didn't expect that a thread was started just joke about murdering someone.

Sacrificing Imoen there can be looked at as a great example of RPing. If you don't like playing Evil, that's alright, but in principle such an act is RPing, and it's awesome the game allows you as the player to do so.

Not many people play BG evil, see https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/gdgi1d/are_you_usually_evil_good_or_neutral/

But when you actually play BG evil, you'd like to get all the options. I shared about my experience here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75512/exploring-something-new-an-attempt-to-do-an-evil-playthrough - with the game choices quite limited in BG1, it was a failed attempt. So I can appreciate each and every option for more RPing.
    Zaxares
    edited May 2020
    She was destined to die at Spellhold anyway. It's just that there was a sliiiight oversight on the devs' part. And now players have to correct the mistake on their own... by force. :smirk:
    agreed, she and charname was really meant to die in spellhood, irenicus is not an idiot as well as his sister, once he has you and imoen in your power after having your food poisoned in the boat there is no way that the party can survive. even if is fun how weather i rush to the asylum or spend a month in that beautiful little pirate town, where i can enjoy the sun and sea and i have even a brothel to enjoy my time the poison becomes effective always in the right moment, not a minute before and not a minute after...

so the only way the players can correct the mistake is having the party killed as soon as possible as they are in the dungeon under the asylum, RP that bodhi actually does what she was asked to do.
    irenicus is the one that should win the game, let's him do it players, please suicide your charnames as they are alive only for a mistake from the developers.
    dunbar wrote: »
    Or "The mage Irenicus is my main concern."

Just for reference: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73624/what-if-imoen-not-exist

Yeah, that does make sense. The main goal is to hunt down Irenicus if you don't care about Imoen, I remember a conversation option something like ''I only care what Irenicus can do for me'' for example.
    Yoshimo (not that I usually take him) really got a bad hand, from the decision to not kill Imoen. Same as Nalia.