Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2020
    argent77 wrote: »
    Zip creation has not changed in the last couple of releases. I have removed the centralfix pass, however. You could manually run it on the created zip archive and see if it changes anything.

So, I restored this piece of code
    ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS ~%dlcOutFile%~) BEGIN
    	LAF GET_TOOL_BINARY STR_VAR tool_name = ~centralfix~ RET tool_binary END
    	ACTION_IF (NOT ~%tool_binary%~ STRING_EQUAL ~~) BEGIN
    		LAF EXECUTE_TOOL STR_VAR tool_binary = EVAL ~%tool_binary%~ arg_0 = EVAL ~%dlcOutFile%~ END
    	END
    END

in "dlc.tph" (along with "DlcBuilder/tools/centralfix/centralfix.go" and "DlcBuilder/tools/centralfix/osx/centralfix"). Is that correct?

Everything installed fine, but I noticed this message: "/bin/sh: DlcBuilder/tools/centralfix/osx/centralfix: Bad CPU type in executable". Could it be due to this? Or is it because it's 32-bit? If that's the case, then I need a 64-bit app, macOS Catalina cannot run 32-bit apps...
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited May 2020
    "Bad CPU type in executable" indicates that the binary is not supported by your OS. It's likely that the centralfix binary for macOS was a legacy 32-bit binary. I don't know if there is a 64-bit binary available somewhere. However, a link to the sources is available in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/633184/#Comment_633184

Build instructions are also posted in that thread.
    argent77 wrote: »
    "Bad CPU type in executable" indicates that the binary is not supported by your OS. It's likely that the centralfix binary for macOS was a legacy 32-bit binary. I don't know if there is a 64-bit binary available somewhere. However, a link to the sources is available in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/633184/#Comment_633184

Build instructions are also posted in that thread.

Done
    Everything is Ok
    Fixing central directory on: workshop/test-dlc.mod
    Local headers match central directory

However, mod files are still not recognized by the game...
    How does "7-Zip" create the archive? Is it possible to set "STORE compressions(aka: no compression)"?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    DLC Builder already creates zip archives in no-compression mode.

This is the full command line:
    7za a -r -tzip -mx=0 -mtc=off -- %dlcname% %input_files%

If you want to fiddle around with the compression options, you can find the relevant code in DlcBuilder/lib/dlc.tph around line 561.
    @argent77

Oh, wait, I'm missing the following fact: the extension "bg1data" extracts to "home:/", so the right option should be #4 – Install DLC as *.zip in the game's documents folder...?
    Luke93 wrote: »
    @argent77

Oh, wait, I'm missing the following fact: the extension "bg1data" extracts to "home:/", so the right option should be #4 – Install DLC as *.zip in the game's documents folder...?

Sadly, still nothing :( ... I mean, why are "override.bg1data", "lang.bg1data" and the like recognized by the game and this one is not...?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I haven't touched my IWD iOS for a long time since well as far as I can remember, it was because the data to to install mods in IWD iOS cannot be recognized. It's been so long since then, how are things going along? Has this been fixed?
    Illustair wrote: »
    Has this been fixed?

Not yet.
    It's hopefully fixed in the upcoming 2.6 update...
    Illustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Still????? Sigh... But thanks for the info. So I'll hold off my IWD run...again. I really hope that they'll have it fixed already. How long has it been? I can't imagine it being that difficult to fix.
  • ughlee29ughlee29 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone long time Baldur’s player (pc) and this guide is amazing. But alas I’m having an issue...I can’t see the app to import the modded zips into...ive uploaded to Dropbox and google drive, installed and reinstalled the BGEE app and still it does show up on my list of applications to use with the zips...any help would be greatly appreciated..I am assuming I have the latest version of the app and I’m on IOS 13.7
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Hi @ughlee29
    The guide is great. Much praise to Luke93 for his hard work.

The guide have to be followed quite meticulously. A small error, and you won’t get the results.

The net result should look like this
    uf659elt9lxr.png

If the files isn’t showing I would reckon the file hasn’t been renamed properly. I rename the file in the Dropbox app so it goes like this.
    p3s0fot5fvyj.png

Perhaps the “zip” suffix is still in the file name?
    ughlee29_Luke_
  • ughlee29ughlee29 Member Posts: 3
    Omg thank you so much...it was the .zip at the end...you sir or ma’am rock
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited November 2020
    ughlee29 wrote: »
    Omg thank you so much...it was the .zip at the end...you sir or ma’am rock

You’re welcome @ughlee29.
    There is no need to thank me.
    It’s Luke93 who has done all the hard work. Just glad it worked out in the end.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    So I'm trying to get this to work. I've installed my mods and now I'm ready to start zipping.
    At this point you should have a bunch of modded game files, including an override folder and a modified version of dialog.tlk
    Quick check. Override? Yeah. dialog.tlk.. hmm. there's a bunch of them for each different language. I look in en_us because on every mod I installed, I chose English. File last modified in 2018. huh? I look for dialog.tlk in all locations accross the install and the only one last modified in 2020 is the one in de_DE. I'm confused.
    SirBuliwyf wrote: »
    I look for dialog.tlk in all locations accross the install and the only one last modified in 2020 is the one in de_DE. I'm confused.

Could you open weidu.conf and see its content? If it's true you chose English, then you should find lang_dir = en_us...
    edited November 2020
    Ok, that's very strange......
    lang_dir = de_de

I didn't choose german!! Also I just tried to rerun one of the mod installers and found this
    t9dd2augxw5j.png

It clearly says, Unsing Language, English and then the german tlk files..

I think I know what I'm going have to do. I've going to have to wipe the install on my PC (That's fine i only DLd it in itunes so i could follow this guide) and then reinstall all the mods i chose to have again. I can't even remember what i chose. simply selecting them all took long enough.
    edited November 2020
    @SirBuliwyf

Yes, your best bet is to start all over. Make sure to select "English" when WeiDU asks you to select a language (when installing the first mod).
    :'(

I had already copied over my very large override folder to the ipad. Will have to wipe the install from my ipad too? arghh
    Basically because i can't 100% remember which mods i installed.. if i do it again they could be different. especially the tweaks mod that has like a million choices in it.
    :'(

I had already copied over my very large override folder to the ipad. Will have to wipe the install from my ipad too? arghh
    Basically because i can't 100% remember which mods i installed.. if i do it again they could be different. especially the tweaks mod that has like a million choices in it.

Yes, I would also delete the iOS app and download it again...

For the record, you can check the mods you installed by opening WeiDU.log (it should be besides "weidu.conf"...)
    I found the source of my problem.
    When installing Ascension, the first mod i put on. Language choice for the installer is 0 English. 1 German. But then Language choice for the game itself is 0 German. 1 English.
    WHY????????
    Anyway, I hit 0 and when prompted for a language again i just hit 0 again without looking too closely. Nasty little gotcha...
    Okay. Here's another question.

If I buy the dlc characters and install them after my mods, am i going to bugger everything up? Is the purchase of the DLC merely switching them on (and their code and dialog's already in there and included when weidu does it's thing regardless of them being purchased) or does buying the dlc download extra stuff which will likely alter dialog.tlk and bugger everything up because i already have mods in there?
    Okay. Here's another question.

If I buy the dlc characters and install them after my mods, am i going to bugger everything up? Is the purchase of the DLC merely switching them on (and their code and dialog's already in there and included when weidu does it's thing regardless of them being purchased) or does buying the dlc download extra stuff which will likely alter dialog.tlk and bugger everything up because i already have mods in there?

I don't know, sorry.

Guess it would be better to purchase and install add-ons first, then mod the game...
    StummvonBordwehr
    Last one I promise. I've no idea if my mods add new areas. I don't know what the NPC stories are and if they add any areas. I don't have a worldmap folder. Am I safe from having to run that tool? It's more messing about I want to avoid. I don't have any UI mods.
    Last one I promise. I've no idea if my mods add new areas. I don't know what the NPC stories are and if they add any areas.

Open NearInfinity and see if your "override" folder contains "PVRZ" files. If you can find them, then you might want to run that tool...

If you didn't run that tool and you can see nothing upon entering a new area (black background), that's a sign you should have run it...
    @argent77

What about adding your "Texture Convert" tool to your GitHub account? That'd allow for better progress tracking (I think...)
  • Eddard_StarkEddard_Stark Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2021
    What is the file path in locating the ipa file on PC if I have no downloads folder in the iTunes Media folder in the ITunes folder?
    Post edited by Eddard_Stark on
    Hi @Eddard_Stark

Downloading on a PC has always been tricky for me. Which version of iTunes are you using? And are you on windows?
    edited January 2021
    What is the file path in locating the ipa file on PC if I have no downloads folder in the iTunes Media folder in the ITunes folder?
    Hi @Eddard_Stark

Downloading on a PC has always been tricky for me. Which version of iTunes are you using? And are you on windows?

I am using Version 12.11.0.26 and I am on Windows 10.
    Hi @Eddard_Stark

It may be your version of iTunes that causes the problem. You need an older version of iTunes to make it work afaik - see the version mentioned in the first post post (first paragraph).

If you are uncomfortable changing your version you could try iMazing instead - as Luke93 suggests
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Eddard_Stark

It may be your version of iTunes that causes the problem. You need an older version of iTunes to make it work afaik - see the version mentioned in the first post post (first paragraph).

If you are uncomfortable changing your version you could try iMazing instead - as Luke93 suggests

The issue that I am having is that when I do download the older version of iTunes, it suddenly upgrades itself immediately back to the current version. However I admit I only tried downloading the older version once and I was too busy to try a second time.