Skip to content

What's the newest thing you've learned about BG?

12346»

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Speedfactors are really crazy.
    semiticgoddessAerakar
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    Fairly recently I learnt that after helping Aldeth in Baldur's gate, you can kill him and get no hit to reputation, nor will the merchant's guild go hostile. As a result you can then spawn Dabron in central Baldur's gate and kill him for his crossbow.

Also you get to kill that treacherous milksop Aldeth!
    JuliusBorisovAerakarStummvonBordwehr
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    Well that is bizarrely bizarre!
    JuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jmerry wrote: »
    The relevant script piece regarding Valygar and his body:
    IF
    	Die()
    	!InPartyAllowDead(Myself)
    	!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_STONE_DEATH)
    	OR(2)
    		Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    		Allegiance(Myself,NEUTRAL)
    	!Dead("Tolger")  // Tolgerias
    	Dead("Valygar")  // Valygar
    	Global("DropValygar","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		CreateItem("misc7l",0,0,0)  // Valygar's Body
    		SetGlobal("DropValygar","GLOBAL",1)
    		DropInventory()
    END

Translated to human terms - if he dies and is removed from the party while Tolgerias is alive, then the game creates the "Valygar's Body" item in his inventory and then drops it on the ground. Petrification is called out as an exception; you can either break his statue and get the body, or cure him and invite him back into the party.

Imprisonment removes him from the party, and clearly also counts as death. The game then tries to drop his stuff on the ground, but apparently that fails due to the imprisoned state - leaving the body in his inventory. Oops.

Maybe he has an out-of-body experience that becomes real. Is the body Valygar, or is it the vessel that carries the body? Spooky shit! ?
    JuliusBorisovZaxaresmonico
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    that your sword can break not 5 minutes after buying it in the prologue.
    ThacoBellBalrog99
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Today was the first time I realized that as a "non-magical" weapon, hits with Flame Blade ought to disrupt mages right through the ubiquitous PFMW, Stoneskins combo.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovmonico
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    That you can tell Lothander "sorry, all the priestesses of Umberlee are dead" and still pass the quest.
    Mantis37AerakarThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Reticent wrote: »
    Today was the first time I realized that as a "non-magical" weapon, hits with Flame Blade ought to disrupt mages right through the ubiquitous PFMW, Stoneskins combo.
    The bad news is that the fire damage strikes as a level 2 spell, so it won't go through MGOI or spell turning/deflection/trap.
    JuliusBorisovReticent
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Good to know! Though that does rob Flame Blade of quite a bit of potential usefulness.

I do kind of wonder if that's something worth changing. Probably too minor an issue to bother with.