Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Is there a way to mod dialog.tlk strings via PC and transfer the modded .tlk to replace Android's? Whener I try it the file become 1GB larger and crashes the game.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @ball_man, sorry for the delay... would you be able to upload the modfile so that I could have a look at it?

Gus
    @Noloir, what process are you using currently. The file would need to be zipped (keeping the path of the folders) using no compression and then Centralfix applied. I wouldn't expect the dialog.tlk to be too big, perhaps 10-20meg depending on the mods used.

If I read/intepret your post correctly, you are trying to replace the Android version in the .obb. You don't need to do this. The zipped-centralfix version of the dialog.tlk just needs to be placed into the root of GameFolder(whichever game it is)..\Files, and any override folder component needs to be placed into the override folder.

I can explain further if this is too confusing. Let me know.
    Gus
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    @Hello Gusinda, glad to hear from you!

You understood correctly. Tried to find a shortcut to changing dialog.tlk files by manually adding script lines through NearInfinity, cross referencing them to their corresponding .itm files, then replace the Android .tlk with the newly edited one by deleting and replacing the android (.obbs).

The added scripts and .itms are copy/pasted files from BG2EE assigned new script numbers (ex.blun17 , Text: "Wyvern tail +2" string copy, pasted, and saved to added string 314010.)
    Hasn't been pretty, though. The files expand in size well over 1GB where the BGEE application just crashes on launch.

Might have done it completely incorrectly too. I took the copy of the language file, zipped it, ran the centralfix bat, rezipped the .main.obbs with it's associated files, then the .patch.obbs and it's asscciated files. Then deleted the .obbs from android and copy/pasted the newly edited ones changing the from .zip tag back to .obbs after transfer.

t8i6nfp1jwh6.jpg
    Hi @Noloir, from the image above, it looks like you are including all of the lang folder from the game (which includes all languages and additional files for non-english language; movies, sounds, data etc ) whereas all you need to have is the dialog.tlk (and dialogf.tlk) for your base language.

Sorry about the wall of text but it details what I would try here... I will use English as the example in the following steps:

- Create a new folder called '_Modfile', double click into the folder and create 'lang', enter into that one and create another folder called 'en_US'. You should end up with:

..game folder\_Modfile\lang\en_US

- Copy ..\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk to ..\_Modfile\lang\en_US
    - Copy 'centralfix.exe' into \_Modfile
    - At this stage you should have the following:

..\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    ..\_Modfile\centralfix.exe

If you are using a non-english language, you will also have another file called 'dialogf.tlk' which is essential, so that will also need to be copied across to '\_Modfile\lang\en_US'. Since this is BG2EE, there have been problems where INVALID text shows, one of the solutions for English is to create a copy of the dialog.tlk named dialogf.tlk, so you will end up having:

..\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialogf.tlk

- We are now ready to zip up the folders to create lang.zip. Make sure that there is 'no compression' and it is using relative pathing. All this means is that the only paths that are in the zip file are 'lang' and below; depending on the compression program you are using, it is likely to be default (like WinRAR and 7Zip). You will however need to make sure that you select NO compression.
    - Zip up the folder 'lang'; you should end up with lang.zip and it should be the exact size of the the folder contents (hopefully that makes sense).
    - Apply centralfix to lang.zip. You should see a series of header errors being fixed. This will allow lang.zip to be read by the game in the Android file system. Top test lang.zip, you can apply centralfix again and you should have no errors.

- Now we can transfer the file to your device. There is no need to edit patch.obb (so make sure they are the vanilla .obbs) of the game as is no longer a step in the modfile creation procedure. Copy the lang.zip into the following folder on your device:

Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files

- You will also need to copy across any 'override' folder contents that relate to the dialog.tlk changes; ie: you changed items etc.
    - Making sure that you have no other .zips (especially if they have dialog.tlk as their contents) in the /files or any of the subordinate folders on your device, you are now ready to test run the game. Also make sure that you don't have a dialog.tlk unzipped in any of the games folders.

Hope fully the game will start without errors or INVALID text.

If the game doesn't start, remove any modified content so that the game is vanilla and start. If it doesn't start, you will likely need a reinstall of the vanilla game.

If the game does start but you are getting INVALID text in the game where your changes were made, then there is another step you can take to try...

Head back to the _Modfile folder and create the following folders:

movies
    music
    scripts
    sounds

and create the following empty files into the appropriate folders. You can do this by right clicking the right pane of Windows Explorer on white space, then select New -> Text Document from the context menu. Once 'New Text Document.txt' has been create, rename the file to the name below. Make that there is no .txt (could be hidden, so Windows should give you a warning about changing the extension) at the end of the file name:
    in 'movies' create 'empty.wbm'
    in music create 'empty.mus'
    in scripts create 'empty.bs'
    in sounds create 'empty.wav'

You should now have the following:
    ..\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialogf.tlk
    ..\_Modfile\movies\empty.wbm
    ..\_Modfile\music\empty.mus
    ..\_Modfile\scripts\empty.bs
    ..\_Modfile\sounds\empty.wav

Having these additional empty files seems to force the game to read the right dialog.tlk. I actually do this now for all my modfiles (for BG and IWD) as it doesn't cause any problems by having them included. You can now create lang.zip and apply centralfix using the steps above.

This should pick up any changes made to the dialog.tlk in your game. If you are installing mods which either add or create .dlg files, then there is another step here but you shouldn't need it right now and will just make the wall of text larger...

On a different note, have you thought of using WeiDU to make the initial changes to dialog.tlk? I figure it would be much easier that using nearinfinity. If you are unaware how to do this, there are a lot of tutorials in the forum, but I have no problems if you PM me. I am no coder, but I have made some simple mods to do simple things and am happy to pass that limited knowledge to you as well as any templates I created. I am guessing that you are editing in-game vanilla items and just need to change the name to suit the edit. This can be done with only a few lines and will save you a lot of time and pain. It is also easily transferable to any new builds... You are so close to creating a standard modfile (which also includes the override folder as part of the process). We can make the next step later...

Anyway, hope that the above procedure is straight forward and works for you. If you have any problems, happy to work them with you.

Gus
  • FouintoFouinto Member Posts: 22
    This thread has so much messages !
    Can someone direct me to the last* full explanation of howto mod BG1EE & BG2EE on Android. I've done it few years ago, but I don't really remember...
    Thank you

BTW, is there a known solution to install EET on Android ?

* Well, I guess the last one will be the better :)
    Hi @Fouinto, do you have a PC to be able to mod with and do you have the game on PC or only the Android version of the games? This will help which post would be the best to start with.

Gus
    Hi,
    Thank you.
    I should have precised these informations : I have both versions (PC & Android) of the 3 games (BG1EE, SoD and BG2EE).
    BTW, I am interested in BG1EE & BG2EE (not really in SoD) but a full EET whould be great if it's possible.
    Hi @Fouinto, again, sorry about delay but I am only getting access to my PC during the weekend. At the moment with the family using the office during the lockdown...

The first place to start would be here. This was a document written to help create modfiles when there was a problem with invalid text showing with some mods, and one of the solutions was to edit the .obb to hhide/remove the vanilla dialog.tlk. Thankfully, we no longer need to do this as better solutions have been found. Having said that, editing the .obb is a last resort and had to be done recently with a mod for PSTEE, but we can now do it on the device without having to apply 'centralfix'. Read the document for background info and an understanding of what and why it is being done.

To create modfiles for BG1EE, you will need to have a separate game folder with just BG1EE iinstalled. I will give you a brief look at how I have my folder structure just to keep things separate.

BG1EE.2.5.17.0
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0 Gus
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A - Modfile creation for Android BG1EE
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.Classic
    BG1EE-SOD.2.5.17.0
    BG1EE-SOD.2.5.17.0 Gus
    BG1EE-SOD.2.5.17.0.A - Modfile creation for Android SOD
    BG2EE.2.5.16.6
    BG2EE.2.5.16.6 Gus
    BG2EE.2.5.16.6.A - Modfile creation for Android BG2EE

The folders that are just the game name are vanilla installs. I use those for vanilla games and to test mods that I make.
    The game folders with 'Gus' are my game folders with Mods installed. Don't want those being messed up when creating modfiles.
    The game folders with .A are folders for creating modfiles. I have various batchfiles to clean it up in preparation for a new modfile as well as reinstalling mods (particularly for correct order of mod installation) and modfile creation; helps with time and reduces mistakes.
    The .Classic is just a game folder that has tha game as close as possible to the original BG1 game using BG1EE. I have removed all my old classics from my hdd these days.

Anyway, if you aren't aware, no matter where you bought the game, you can do a fresh install of the game, create a new folder and copy the contents of the vanilla game into the new folder. I would recommend this if you still play on your PC (I have a different install for PC than I do on my mobile as playing on a small screen changes my style of play).

The next comment to look at would be here. It talks about some of the changes made with the document since it was put together.

The last one would be this one, which talks about a solution for removing some invalid text using blank files and folders.

There are some common errors that you will do but you will quickly come to terms with them. This is really just a step based procedure (which allows for the batchfiles to do most of the work) with some fault finding at the end if you get some problems.

I would recommend doing a couple of small mods at the start, then look at the more complex ones. You need to be aware if the mod adds music or sound effects outside the 'override' folder.

I initially aimed to update the document with the release of v2.6 of the games, but that is taking a little longer than expected. If the update hasn't been released by the end of the lockdown, I will endeavour to update the document then for 2.5

Apart from that, you can ask any questions you want and if I can assist, I will...

On the question of EET, haven't been able to do this yet. I believe the problem is the pathing and the permissions within Android OS.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask
    Gus
    Thank you,
    No hurry :)
    I should be able to follows theses steps.

OK, no EET, I will also let SoD alone... I think I will start with those :
    - BG1EE : BG1UB, BGQE, BGEESpawn and cdtweaks
    - BG2EE : UB and cdtweaks

If I encounter text problem (like in my last attempt) I will keep only cdtweaks

@Fouinto, haven't tried BGEESpawn, but the others should certainly work.

Gus
  • TheYellowDartTheYellowDart Member Posts: 1
    @Gusinda I've been following your guides and they've been very helpful, so thanks a ton. I've run into an odd problem with importing. I guess I'll explain the situation in detail.

I've installed and modded BG1 and BG2 EE on my Android and modded them both. I ran into a brief problem which is that there were certain elements of SCS that were giving me "Invalid" - but only certain elements, others worked fine. I discovered the solution, which was that I needed to copy over the WEIDU folder as well as apparently it contains data for some aspects of SCS. Did that, problem solved, everything worked fine in both BG1 and BG2.

Until I recently decided to do a trilogy run and finished BG1. When I import my character from BG1, it starts giving me all those "Invalids" again. Again, if I create a brand new character in BG2, this does not happen. It only happens when I try to import a character from one game to the next. Have you ever encountered anything like this before? I'm wondering if the game is trying to read some of the data from the BG1EE folder since that's where it's getting the save from? Or if it's just a mismatch between the data of the two games.
    Hi @TheYellowDart, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay; this lockdown keeps me from my PC :(

Would you be able to upload your WeiDU.log for both games as well as a couple of saved games (one for the end of BG1 and the other for the start of BG2 after the import? It could be different mods that are impacting on your PC.

By WeiDU folder, are you talking about the special folder that SCS creates to do some work in when installing? I don't think the game touches it during play.

There is something else you could try though (I have done this with a couple of hard cases and it seemed to have worked, well for them anyway...)

Once you have prepare the modding area and ready to create your lang.zip file, try the following steps:

1. Rename your override folder to override.1
    2. Create another override folder in the folder structure
    3. Copy all of the .dlg files from override.1 to override (copy, don't move as you will need them later)
    4. Create your lang.zip but include the new override folder in the .zip container
    5. Apply Centralfix to the lang.zip file
    6. Rename override to override.2
    7. Rename override1 to override
    8. Finish creating the modfile.

You should now have 2 copies of the .dlg files, one set in override folder and one set in the lang.zip file in it's own override folder.

Also, if you read above, don't forget to try adding the additional override folders such as Movies, Music, Scripts and Sounds. This seemed to fix some problems with BG2 modfiles.

If that still fails, then upload the saves and WeiDU.logs and I will have a bash at seeing what else could be done.

Hope that helps
    Gus
  • sbhaalspawnssbhaalspawns Member Posts: 22
    Hello @Gusinda, I've followed your steps. However I need clarification on the last step.. do I only move the lang and override folders back to my Android device? What do I do with the other folders (around 10-20 of them created from mods).
    Alright so I've got everything working (as far as I can see). However, there is one issue- invalid text above Imoen's avatar. I've tried everything you recommended to the others (empty files etc). Any fixes?
    Getting lots of "invalid" texts pretty much everywhere. I think I did something wrong but not sure what.. all recommended fixes (empty files, deleting dialog.txt from vanilla obb, copying and renaming to dialogf.txt) does not fix it.
    Hi @sbhaalspawns, and welcome to the forum. Can I get a little bit more info? What game are you modding and which mods are you planning to include?

Just from the info above, when creating the modfile, yes in the most, you only copy over the override folder. For the lang folder, you need to create it in the modfile creation area and copy over dialog.tlk. You don't need to copy any of the subfolders. If you are aware that the mods are placing files into other folders in the game (some put files into music/sounds for example), then you would also need to copy those files over as well. In the main though, most of the mods only place files into the override folder and add entries into the dialog.tlk. All the other folders you mentioned are used to hold the content/process prior to modding the game on your PC. They can be deleted but it is best to keep them in place to allow WeiDU to remove and reinstall as required if you are adding more content or removing.

The invalid text generally comes from not applying 'centralfix' to the lang.zip file (and therefore the system can't read it properly) or you may have kept the modfile itself (or another) in the files folder. BTW, lang.zip is not unpacked on your mobile device. This will also create invalids in the game.

The best way to start with modfile creation is to reduce the number of mods down to one or two (ones you know that would change the dialog.tlk for testing) and get the process right. Once this is done and tested correctly, then adding more mods is much easier (because the process is known to be good).

One of the things you mentioned was deleting the dialog.txt (should read dialog.tlk and I am sure that is the one you did). This is no longer need to be done as a deletion. If required, and it should be last resort, you can just rename the file on the mobile device you are using.

If this doesn't make sense, then I am happy to provide futher info; just ask and I will answer wher I can.

All the best
    Gus
    @Gusinda Yep, that's probably the issue then. I unpacked lang.zip on my phone. So just leave it as a .zip in my bgiiee obb folder?
    I'm doing those mods-

Ascension
    BG2 Fixpack
    SCS
    BG2 Tweakpack (mainly for helmet animation removal)
    aTweaks

in that order.
    Would simply repacking lang be enough to fix it or do I need to do all the steps again?
    Update- repacking lang was not enough- still getting invalids.
    Hi @sbhaalspawns, yeah, you can't repack the file. You don't need to go through all the steps again though.

If you still have your modfile on your device ir PC, then you can extract it out from there. if you have everything setup on your PC, you can get it from there by just doing the part where you create the lang.zip file and apply centralfix.

Failing any of those, just copy the lang.zip file back to you PC, then apply 'centralfix' to it and copy it back to your device. The file itself needs to be treated by centralfix as that is what allows it to be read by the game (it rewrites the index).

Gus
  • MilesTegMilesTeg Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2020
    I'm not sure how it works, but here is Elhoe's Epic Endeavours for BG2EE2.5 Android.

Download (GDRIVE, 108MB)

This is a unsupported test-version.

Install:
    copy override\* to
    \Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\files\override\*

lang-en_US.zip to
    \Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\files\lang-en_US.zip
    Post edited by MilesTeg on
    Hi @MilesTeg, small problem... you need to set your Google Drive share type to anyone that has the link. Some of the forumites do not have a Google log in and therefore cannot log in to download the file.

Thanks
    Gus
  • MilesTegMilesTeg Member Posts: 12
    sorry, my bad & thx for the info! The link should work now :)
    Hey @Gusinda , me again. Finally had time to retry and mod BG2EE. Fresh install, fresh mods etc. And I also remembered to centralfix lang.zip.

But.. still getting invalids. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could you maybe take a look? Whenever you have time.
    I added Rogue Rebalancing this time. So the order is-

Ascension
    BG2 Fixpack
    Rogue Rebalancing
    SCS
    Tweaks Anthology
    aTweaks
    To be fair though the invalids aren't REALLY an issue since I've played vanilla BG so much. And I can always look up stuff if I need to. It just annoys me is all.
    Hi @sbhaalspawns, try this one. The changes I made were to duplicate the existing dialog.tlk as dialogf.tlk and add a couple of folders with empty files, then applied centralfix to it. Yuo had no problems with the way you applied centralfix btw, so all was good there. There is another change we can make if this doesn't work but I would need the entire modfile...

You can either rename it or just place the file in the root of /Files. Make sure the other 'lang.zip' is not in the game folder (either Data or Obb).

Best of luck
    Gus
    @Gusinda Thanks for the effort. That lang.zip, well, it certainly did *something* heh. Not sure what happened. There are other spells affected like that. Idk where the Impervious spell came from though. Maybe an IWD spell? I declined IWD spells in my SCS install though.

6ygbsdtpfjnl.jpg