Ask Beamdog

Comments

• SinaSinSinaSin Member Posts: 5
    Any update on the ios port?
    SynukAmmar
  • SynukSynuk Member Posts: 1
    Please, fullscreen on ipad pro.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @JuliusBorisov How goes the headhunt for a new Live Ops programmer?
  • bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
    Beamblog hasn't have an update in over a year. No news regarding anything in over a year?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    bonebrah wrote: »
    Beamblog hasn't have an update in over a year. No news regarding anything in over a year?

Beamblog was cancelled. This thread is the replacement.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2020
    With Beamdogs track-record on not delivering on promises, NWN renderer, 2.6, along with a metric-ton of trello-things, stringing us along without communication for long periods of time and empty-promises with nothing to show for it other than generic PR-statements and underwhelming ports, given track-record of achievements is it realy reasonable that i should trust or have faith in anything Beamdog says at this rate?

Show, dont tell.
    Post edited by Filipse on
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    They've ALWAYS followed through on their game content promises. It just takes them a long loooooooooooong time to do it.
    But isn't this tantamount to not keeping promises? They can say they're not going to put a date on their promise as a way of trying to protect themselves from claims of broken promises. But for me, when someone says they are going to do something, there is an automatic associated expectation that said thing will be done within a reasonable timeframe regardless of a specific timeframe having been provided or not. What is that reasonable timeframe? It depends on the thing that's been promised. In the case of a game patch, if I don't get it for several months, acceptable as reasonable. If I don't get it for over a year, not reasonable, not acceptable, and yes it does qualify as a broken promise.
    fearlessGlaciaruz
    kanisatha wrote: »
    They've ALWAYS followed through on their game content promises. It just takes them a long loooooooooooong time to do it.
    But isn't this tantamount to not keeping promises? They can say they're not going to put a date on their promise as a way of trying to protect themselves from claims of broken promises. But for me, when someone says they are going to do something, there is an automatic associated expectation that said thing will be done within a reasonable timeframe regardless of a specific timeframe having been provided or not. What is that reasonable timeframe? It depends on the thing that's been promised. In the case of a game patch, if I don't get it for several months, acceptable as reasonable. If I don't get it for over a year, not reasonable, not acceptable, and yes it does qualify as a broken promise.

No, I wouldn't call fullfilling a promise the same as not following a promise. Your assumptions are not Beamdog's responsibility.

No, I wouldn't call fullfilling a promise the same as not following a promise. Your assumptions are not Beamdog's responsibility.

So even if the patch comes out after I am dead and gone, they delivered on their promise? Sorry, no. That's not reasonable at all. A promised patch not being delivered for over a year is highly unprofessional.
    Merald

So even if the patch comes out after I am dead and gone, they delivered on their promise? Sorry, no. That's not reasonable at all. A promised patch not being delivered for over a year is highly unprofessional.

Hahahahhaha, really? "After you're dead". Last I checked, Beamdog has never taken 40-50 years to get something done.

Hahahahhaha, really? "After you're dead". Last I checked, Beamdog has never taken 40-50 years to get something done.

LOL well I'm getting up there in age. But of course that was just a figure of speech.
    In fairness, very few projects have ever approached Duke Nukem Forever levels of schedule slip. And without an actuary table for your specific lifespan, expecting Beamdog to deliver on their product "in your lifetime" is simultaneously reasonable and absurd - it's entirely possible but unlikely that you'll be killed by a rampaging bull elephant during the time it took you to read this post.
    Well I do picture my skeleton patiently seated in front of my computer waiting for the 2.6 patch. ;)
    sarevok57
    Meh, the 2.5 patch was still a longer cycle.
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2020
    @Filipse Haha, you don't know anything about Beamdog's track record. Here's the thing: They've ALWAYS followed through on their game content promises. It just takes them a long loooooooooooong time to do it. Its really frustrating, yeah, but to claim that they never deliver is just disingenuous. Believe it or not, this is not the longest patch cycle they've had.

Yeah, it's almost like people expect some communication and, more than the barebones under the hood-changes and ports of games, like something more showing results from a 3 year period (and longer in BG's case) of development or something.
    Meh, the 2.5 patch was still a longer cycle.
    Which was also an unreasonably long-waiting time.
    Timbo0o0o0Pokota
    "more showing results from a 3 year period "

It hasn't been that long since the last patch.
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27
    "more showing results from a 3 year period "

It hasn't been that long since the last patch.

In the all fairness - it does take absurdly long given how it was "days/week" till it hit platforms (including mobile). I was eager to do my FIRST play and ofc when I saw the patch is coming I waited. You can guess how that turned out, in the end I started BG1 only to find that on ios there is game breaking bug that forces you to load a safe (if you view item details and something happens, like someone coming to talk with you - that item window is stuck and you can't close it - cool, right? And it happens a lot more frequent that one would expect - dunno how someone from their QA playing the game for literally 1h would not find it).

So yeah, let's not forget that they said last summer how the patch is basically ready and will hit the platforms in a week. If they can say that, I firmly and strongly believe that the patch was ready with 99% of it's content that includes pathfinding and whatnot. So? I should believe they can't manage the finishing touch for a year? It's not only broken promise, shows incompetence. I believe this is not the case here, so it's more of a desire to finish the patch. Ofc it's clear they hit a problem that obv needs a lot of work, but when you made a promise - you can devote few weeks to find the solution, implement the fix, test the fix, finish the testing of the whole patch and release it with a delay.

They said few times that they want to create other games and drop infinity engine titles. Clearly it's more of a lack of motivation and money in the sense of dev power. Quite funny how some of you actually defend all this in 2020 for a product you paid - you know, for ios game + all the DLC's + all infinity games, I paid quite a lot actually (not on sale paid, btw and BOTH on android and ios will everything). So I should live with the game breaking bugs that are potentially fixed in a patch that was promised that is releasing literally in a week or two, a year ago? I can argue that the ios version I paid for was with looking forward towards 2.6 with the new pathfinding too as back then I didn't know their track record, was not on that thread and believed it will release any moment now (after two month was already passed away from the blog post).
    d2freakTimbo0o0o0MiraStastnyAdul
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I think it’s only fair to ask for an ETA on the patch once in a while. And some venting is allowed I’d reckon.

But since this thread is allocated for questions to Beamdog, it will be equally fair to ask of us all, that we use this thread in accordance.

And in that spirit, I have a question: will Tyrants of the Moonsea come to Switch?
    TarotRedhandPrince_Raymond
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited June 2020
    Not to worry @ThacoBell. I will never stop asking :).

Actually I was trying to gently to push the discussions towards actual questioning, instead of keeping up the “patch cycle length discussion”.

I just wanted to state that I don’t blame people for being impatient, and I don’t blame Beamdog for not giving an ETA, but I just hope that we can keep up friendly terms and keep this thread as an “Ask Beamdog” thread.

So an occasional question about an ETA would be quite alright, but otherwise I would prefer that we keep this thread as an “Ask Beamdog” thread and not discussions about patch cycles. Hope no one will take offence, since it was not meant to be so.

Edit. Forgot a question:
    If one have suggestions for NWM, is the correct way of suggesting them via the “Suggestions thread” in the NWN general discussion in this forum?
    It seemed the proper place, but I just wanted to make sure that Beamdog employees are reading it.
    I have already suggested something 20-30 days ago and was surprised to see it wasn’t implemented yet :D - so it might be that the right people didn’t read it.
    Prince_Raymond
  • MeraldMerald Member Posts: 4
    The path finding bug in IWD EE is annoying as hell. My question to Beamdog: how can you not release a patch to address that bug?
    Timbo0o0o0Kamigoroshi
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    So ... it seems that the latest patch for NWN EE for Android will be scheduled later due to all focus being on the IOS release.

Does that mean that all applicable fixes / tuning will be available on the IOS version upon release?
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Merald Is it the bug where party members can end up in the same space and get stuck on each other?
    There's a couple work arounds that you can use until the next patch comes out.

1. quicksave often. reloading will reset your npcs.
    2. Enable console and use CTRL+J. This one won't work for phone versions, sadly.
    MeraldPrince_Raymond
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/11/xbox-app-performance-updates/

Will there be mod support in BG EE 1&2 for xbox one?
    Pokota wrote: »
    Any news on the Harfbuzz issue that I'm having with the Beamdog Client on x64 linux?

Any news on this? My earlier follow-up seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    Is the Baldurs Gate EE 2.6 Patch still being made? Any update on this would be awesome. Thanks!
    smady3