Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Is every platform (pc, mobile, console) getting the 2.6 patch at the same time or will there be a difference (not related to delivery difference between Steam/Beamdog/GOG for example)?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We haven't announced any patch for the console version.

It's still TBD whether the mobile is getting the patch the same time the PC is - depending on the specifics of each mobile store's requirements for new apps / app updates.
  • KhanNovaKhanNova Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2020
    The translation that was released for PC players few years ago wasn't completed and was never completed for two reasons : It was an enormous amount of work for amateurs. These dudes have kids, jobs and it's not really serious to count on them for finishing an translation.

Since july 2019 Beamdog say "2.6 is getting closer"

Also, thank you for your replies.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    @JuliusBorisov Is it a confirmation that the french translation for BG2 will be available as part of the future 2.6 patch?
    That'd be pretty cool if we don't have to wait longer than that :)
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @ThacoBell Aren't the majority of BG2's cutscenes done in-engine rather than as pre-rendered video?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Pokota wrote: »
    @ThacoBell Aren't the majority of BG2's cutscenes done in-engine rather than as pre-rendered video?

There's pre-rendered ones too. And they look AWFUL.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Klinge wrote: »

Sorry to hear that...

The completed German volunteer translation for SoD has been dropped. Why? - Because a professional team of translators was hired in parallel. Are they native speakers and/or are they familiar with the Baldurs Gate universe? What is the gain in dropping the German volunteer translation? Will there be multilingual voice overs?

i'd like to ask the same ...
    it's very disappointing to let volunteers do two years work,. just to drop it when its finished and replace it ...

from what I saw the "fan" translation was very high quality. I'd be positively surprised if the official translation would be on par with it or even better ...
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    What about closing the Soultaker plothole? There ist no better Timing than soon ™ with the 2.6 Patch. I mean, since the announcement in ?late 2018? there was more than enough time to create a new addon. ?
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Probably for the best, if they decided to add content too, the patch wouldn't be released till 2025. At least now we have hope that it will be released this year.
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    Probably for the best, if they decided to add content too, the patch wouldn't be released till 2025. At least now we have hope that it will be released this year.

A release this year sounds too optimistic.

It wouldn't surprise me if Derek French had to start everything from scratch.

So likely next year release if all goes well IMO.
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    Thank you, @Prince_Raymond.
    To be honest, i just forgot the /i - irony Tag. ?
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @JuliusBorisov Greetings sir. I hope I'm not interrupting anything important. After checking the NWN section, I was unable to locate the sticky with the address to the Community Discord channels. Would you or anyone else be so kind as to tell me exactly where in the NWN section the sticky is? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
  • iosuseriosuser Member Posts: 3

so I bought the bundle on App store (for iPad) and began downloading all the games except planescape. I ran out of room and paused BG2EE and Icewind-both reverted to charging 9.99 even though the bundle was marked as Purchased. How do I fix this, are you already working on it...I saw several reviewers posted the same issue. Thanks
  • imp51096454imp51096454 Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2020
    There are too many redundant language pack in 2.5 patch, which has expanded the game to an astounding 3.5G!
    I strongly recommend that 2.6 patch should be localized for each country, maintaining only english and another language pack corresponding to a specific region, and get rid of the remaining language content.
    gosh, why should I keep an extra 1G language files that I will never understand or use in my iPhone...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    As I sit here at home suffering through yet another week of un-social distancing, I can't help thinking about what could lift up my spirits: an announcement of a brand new game from the good folks of Beamdog. Any possibility?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Mera wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov Is it a confirmation that the french translation for BG2 will be available as part of the future 2.6 patch?
    That'd be pretty cool if we don't have to wait longer than that :)

Not a hard confirmation, but we want that (French for BGII:EE and SoD in 2.6) to happen.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I love the guys at Beamdog. One of the few companies I actively want to support, outside of just "give me tasty product."

But its really not healthy to try and get release timing confirmation from them. Again, love you guys, but Beamdog is kind of like a blind, stubborn marathon runner. THey have on idea where the finish line is, but they WILL cross it. Eventually.

Oh @JuliusBorisov Any chance of getting the new SoD voicesets integrated into BG2EE? I love all of them and their loss is keenly felt everytime I boot it up. You know, while I'm asking, is there any potential for BG2 to get the awesome comic style cutscenes that BG1 got? They look amazing and I miss them in BG2.

Just as with other voice sets, they are recorded for a specific game. This is why BG1 sound sets are not available in BG2, and vice versa. So this will hopefully be done by mods.

New cutscenes - that would qualify as new content, and there won't be new content for IE games.
    Timbo0o0o0 wrote: »
    What about closing the Soultaker plothole? There ist no better Timing than soon ™ with the 2.6 Patch. I mean, since the announcement in ?late 2018? there was more than enough time to create a new addon. ?

The same reply still. New content for IE games is VERY unlikely.
    @JuliusBorisov Greetings sir. I hope I'm not interrupting anything important. After checking the NWN section, I was unable to locate the sticky with the address to the Community Discord channels. Would you or anyone else be so kind as to tell me exactly where in the NWN section the sticky is? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67083/nwn-crossroads-discord-nwn-hub-for-connecting-to-places-people-and-pages#latest
    iosuser wrote: »
    so I bought the bundle on App store (for iPad) and began downloading all the games except planescape. I ran out of room and paused BG2EE and Icewind-both reverted to charging 9.99 even though the bundle was marked as Purchased. How do I fix this, are you already working on it...I saw several reviewers posted the same issue. Thanks

This is resolved according to another thread.
    There are too many redundant language pack in 2.5 patch, which has expanded the game to an astounding 3.5G!
    I strongly recommend that 2.6 patch should be localized for each country, maintaining only english and another language pack corresponding to a specific region, and get rid of the remaining language content.
    gosh, why should I keep an extra 1G language files that I will never understand or use in my iPhone...

My guess is - store requirements / limitations. But of course, the team is investigating the issue, considering more languages are planned as part of 2.6.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    As I sit here at home suffering through yet another week of un-social distancing, I can't help thinking about what could lift up my spirits: an announcement of a brand new game from the good folks of Beamdog. Any possibility?

Not yet. Still very early days. The latest news is still here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1119995/#Comment_1119995
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    fearless wrote: »
    I was reading the beamdog blog about the 2.6 BG2EE/IWDEE update and it mentions 64-bit builds - does that mean specifically that all EE games will be moving to 64-bit builds on windows - 64-bit exe's, or is it just referring to Android and other platforms?

Any word on if the 2.6 update for windows operating systems will have 64bit builds?
    @JuliusBorisov "Just as with other voice sets, they are recorded for a specific game. This is why BG1 sound sets are not available in BG2, and vice versa. So this will hopefully be done by mods."

I'm afraid I don't understand this point. If a mod can do it, why would it not be possible to do so officially? Its not new content, since its already in 2 of the EEs. Can you further clarify?

"New cutscenes - that would qualify as new content, and there won't be new content for IE games."

I figured this would be the case. But I HAD to ask. :(
    The BG1 sound sets line up differently, and (and this is the important part) there will be cues not filled in a straight port. You'd need to create new ones within the set.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    kanisatha wrote: »

Not yet. Still very early days. The latest news is still here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1119995/#Comment_1119995

That's unfortunate. My impression was that the game had been in development for quite some time now.

So this only makes me wonder even more about exactly how Beamdog goes about developing games. Other small indie developers seem to be so much better at launching new games on a reasonable time schedule.
    Ah, IP laws ruin everything once again. Thanks for the clarification @JuliusBorisov .
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    Without knowing the conversations behind the scene, I would assume the original voice actors would be willing to hear an offer for using their voices in other games. At this point, it would be free money as they already did the work ages ago. Though that assumes the actors are still reachable.

Asking because it's been ages/patches since I've booted up BG: are there any voice sets that are available across all three BG titles? As someone who held off starting SOD (first because of life, then because a patch was supposedly imminent, and then other life priorities), I don't know which voices are available for what title anymore. (Is there already a thread for this - please send me that way if so!)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited May 2020
    Before I start, I'll just say I'm not expecting any meaningful response as my speculations, if answered, would pose trade secrets problems.

I see on twitter that BD are hiring again. Interesting. So you're after a Live Ops Programmer (Just the one?). So that suggests a free to play game. But then again You're also after Unreal Programmers and 3D Artists (note the plural) which suggests a separate (non-casual) game. Lastly I see you're after a UX (user experience) Designer. Given that they have tended to be the preserve of larger game studios, it definitely suggests that BD are looking to grow into a major player here. Who knows, it might even suggest that BD have their sights set on becoming as big as (at least) pre-EA Bioware used to be.

But as I say this is all speculation as I wait for the problems with patch uploading to the BD client to be fixed.

TR
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Glad to hear NWN is still being worked on. With some really great modules still getting updates and new chapters, I can't wait to see what comes next with some upgrades to the base game.
    Any news on the Harfbuzz issue that I'm having with the Beamdog Client on x64 linux?
    Pokota wrote: »
    Any news on the Harfbuzz issue that I'm having with the Beamdog Client on x64 linux?