Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ontario continues to push forward with reopening everywhere except Toronto, Hamilton and border cities like Windsor.

We're entering stage 2 on Friday, which allows up to ten people to gather (up from 5), patio bars, hair salons, shopping malls, beaches and pools, and places of worship. However, like everything else that's open, they have to follow social distancing protocols. For example, churches can't be more than 30% capacity and patios must ensure 2 meters of distance between different household/tables.

This is good, and I think long overdue for my city. Ottawa skirted the disease, with a preemptive closures before our numbers had a chance of ballooning. With a population of a million people, we only just passed 2,000 cases in the last two days, and the last report had only 2 new confirmed cases. The scary thing however, is that out of those 2000 cases, there have been over 250 deaths, which is 12% casualty rate. Canada is hovering around a 8% casualty rate.

The province will continue to monitor the numbers however and if it looks like they're going to start increasing again I wouldn't put it past Ford to shut everything down again.

I myself can't wait to get a haircut. I was suppose to get one the day everything shut down close to 3 months ago now and I am very much looking like a mad scientist and on the verge of just biccing it.
    Grond0Balrog99ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I had the same up until recently. I topped off at 22 weeks without a professional cut but it still looked quite good. I only did the back using two mirrors because my wife complained too much.

We (Netherlands) are now in phase 3. Of there are more or these sympathy demonstrations then I guess we could fall back to phase 2.......
    JuliusBorisov
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Seattle here, where we were early to be hit, early to shut down, and just recently starting to reopen. I went for the home cut with ordinary scissors (bangs only) rather than risking a barbershop. Not exactly even, but then I live alone and care more about looking without hair in my way than looking good.

We were down to a third or less of the peak disease impact in Washington state last I checked ... but that was before the massive protests against police brutality and the massively brutal police response. After that, who knows.
    JuliusBorisov
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Denver health is very worried about a covid backlash following the protests and riots here. Otherwise we are seeing the numbers coming down, down, down. I'm sorry for those still dealing with full lockdown.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Alot of spiking the ball at the 10-yard line going on. We are, nationally, seeing an uptick from Memorial Day Weekend. Two weeks from now, we will almost certainly see an even bigger one due to the protests nationwide. Arizona hospitals are seriously stressed right now.

For me, I finally ventured to the gym yesterday. There is barely anyone there, as none of the senior citizens are showing up. Only every third machine is operational to maintain large distance. Given the nearly total lack of people there, and the precautions being taken, I'll probably keep going for now.

Restaurants opened up at 50% capacity on Monday here in Michigan. I haven't ventured into one yet though, so I can't comment on how many people are frequenting them. Not that I'm hesitant to eat out mind you, I just bought $300 worth of groceries that I need to put a dent in first...
    JuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited June 2020
    The situation here in Italy is good.
    Now we can travel again outside our region of residence.
    Lots of regions have no more new infections.
    Restaurants, hairdressers, shops and such reopened, with specific restrictions in terms of people who can stay inside, mandatory mask, temperature check and so on.
    Lots of people will keep working in smart working until September/October.
    I went out a few times... and I noticed that very few people go to stores. It's like we are still having a secluded life - it's not that easy going back to the previous habits.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovsmeagolheartStummvonBordwehr
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I rarely go outside but when I do it's facking nuts.

I see most people who have accepted that the thing is over. My kid got invited to a sleepover.
    What the hell people. IT'S NOT OVER.

I see very few people wearing masks. A few places it's mandatory to wear masks and still like 20% don't. And maybe more than half of those that are wearing masks have their mouths covered but let their noses hang out. It's incredibly discouraging.

It's not over and these careless behaviors ensure that it will continue and drag on.

We are seeing spikes in cases now from the totally misguided "reopen" riots. Complete foolishness. We're going to have even more in a couple weeks from the police riots. I've seen stories of police taking protestors masks, not giving them back, and cramming a bunch of people into holding cells. I've seen video of police spitting on people. They are doing these tactics on purpose.

In a couple weeks, the infection time for this virus we're going to see massive massive massive amounts of infected people. Not only from the dumbasses running around like everything is fine but from these police riots and from the reopening riots.

Major swaths of America had already decided to swing open their doors and pretend like nothing was going on by Memorial Day weekend. The protests had such a huge number of people that it's very concerning, but there are two caveats to that, which are that the vast majority of them were wearing masks, and it was taking place outdoors exclusively. Even with the number of people, I'm far more worried about people congregating in enclosed places without masks. We have learned recently that it may not be as transmittable in it's asymptomatic form, and that it spreads much less easily outdoors, and that mask use DOES work. And work quite well. If everyone in the country had been wearing a mask for the last 3 months, we'd be generally fine. New Zealand has COMPLETELY eradicated the virus. The US decided we were giving up and going to accept at least a 1000 deaths a day in perpetuity.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovProont
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    We have learned recently that it may not be as transmittable in it's asymptomatic form...
    The caveat: people who don't have symptoms yet are the main transmitters of the virus. It's infectious during its incubation period, and people who are obviously sick usually don't go out like nothing's wrong.
    ThacoBell
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I rarely go outside but when I do it's facking nuts.

I see most people who have accepted that the thing is over. My kid got invited to a sleepover.
    What the hell people. IT'S NOT OVER.

I see very few people wearing masks. A few places it's mandatory to wear masks and still like 20% don't. And maybe more than half of those that are wearing masks have their mouths covered but let their noses hang out. It's incredibly discouraging.

It's not over and these careless behaviors ensure that it will continue and drag on.

We are seeing spikes in cases now from the totally misguided "reopen" riots. Complete foolishness. We're going to have even more in a couple weeks from the police riots. I've seen stories of police taking protestors masks, not giving them back, and cramming a bunch of people into holding cells. I've seen video of police spitting on people. They are doing these tactics on purpose.

In a couple weeks, the infection time for this virus we're going to see massive massive massive amounts of infected people. Not only from the dumbasses running around like everything is fine but from these police riots and from the reopening riots.

Major swaths of America had already decided to swing open their doors and pretend like nothing was going on by Memorial Day weekend. The protests had such a huge number of people that it's very concerning, but there are two caveats to that, which are that the vast majority of them were wearing masks, and it was taking place outdoors exclusively. Even with the number of people, I'm far more worried about people congregating in enclosed places without masks. We have learned recently that it may not be as transmittable in it's asymptomatic form, and that it spreads much less easily outdoors, and that mask use DOES work. And work quite well. If everyone in the country had been wearing a mask for the last 3 months, we'd be generally fine. New Zealand has COMPLETELY eradicated the virus. The US decided we were giving up and going to accept at least a 1000 deaths a day in perpetuity.

'Liberal' California has a place that revolted against wearing masks. The health official that implemented mandatory masks rules got death threats and so forth. And Politicians attacked her too. So she quit and they rescinded the mask rules.

SHE IS CORRECT. These idiots are prolonging the suffering.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-12/a-revolt-against-wearing-masks-creates-a-new-coronavirus-danger-as-california-reopens

Coronavirus cases on the rise, Arizona has totally reopened all businesses a couple weeks ago now hospitals are slammed and the governor told hospitals to implement emergency plans.

So frustrating.

Don't listen to politicians, or opinion hosts. Listen to health experts.

From the latimes article:

"Pay Wykoff — a 65-year-old Irvine resident.. said.
    “Not everyone agrees that masks are helpful,” Wykoff said. “I think masks are hurtful because you’re breathing in your own germs.”"

People like Pat are conflating lying Politicians with an agenda with actual scientists and experts.
    ThacoBell
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2020
    Well, here is a new (to the UK at least) development. The title says it all -

Sewage systems will be monitored across the UK to detect new outbreaks of coronavirus

TR
    ThacoBellProont
    Why would one be afraid of their own germs? They are already on them...
    ThacoBellÆmrysProont
    A 70 year old Seattle Man beat Coronavirus and left the hospital with a 181-page bill totalling $1.1 million dollars.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/inspiring-story-of-seattle-mans-coronavirus-survival-comes-with-a-1-1-million-dollar-hospital-bill/
    ProontThacoBellBalrog99Aedan
    edited June 2020
    So what about the millions that can go temporarily blind due to wearing a mask? No I'm not being facetious, I'm talking about spectacle wearers unable to see through fogged up lenses due to masks redirecting the flow of moisture laden breath onto their spectacle lenses. It's all very well for those lucky enough to have 20/20 vision saying wear a mask while those with some form of visual impairment walk haltingly into street furniture, doors, etc.

TR
    Who wants to see a picture of a single human cell covered by a mass of corona virus known as SARS-CoV2? In the featured (Electron microscope I think) image, each of the orange coloured lumps is a single virus on the surface of the green coloured cell. Note - These are probably false colours due to the magnification required.

TR
    Proont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Who wants to see a picture of a single human cell covered by a mass of corona virus known as SARS-CoV2? In the featured (Electron microscope I think) image, each of the orange coloured lumps is a single virus on the surface of the green coloured cell. Note - These are probably false colours due to the magnification required.

TR

I love APOD! Always has great pictures and thought-provoking commentary. I saw that picture a couple of weeks ago. What makes that web-site even cooler is that it's run by an astrophysicist at my alma-mater, Michigan Tech!
    TarotRedhand
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Breaking (BBC News) - Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug. The article explains better than I could.

TR

What's great about that is it's an old drug available at very low cost - so no problems about delays while negotiating terms or about availability in poorer countries.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited June 2020
    So what about the millions that can go temporarily blind due to wearing a mask? No I'm not being facetious, I'm talking about spectacle wearers unable to see through fogged up lenses due to masks redirecting the flow of moisture laden breath onto their spectacle lenses. It's all very well for those lucky enough to have 20/20 vision saying wear a mask while those with some form of visual impairment walk haltingly into street furniture, doors, etc.

TR

I dunno, is that worse or better than infecting and potentially killing those around you? If you vision is impaired to the point where you can't see where you're going, its probably best to stay home. Or get a mask with ventilation. You know, if you can find one...

*edit*

Or contacts.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    This article is the first attempt I've seen to do some international comparison of excess deaths (deaths above the expected average for that time of year). The majority of countries covered have had more excess deaths than the number of deaths acknowledged to Covid-19, but there are a number where that's not the case. South Africa is interesting because the impact of the lockdown there has had a significant effect on other causes of death (like traffic accidents and homicides), which has outweighed the Covid-19 deaths and brought total deaths below the expected number.
    Balrog99ProontThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2020
    Strange to interpret that to better have corona than a drivers license.
    Balrog99Proont
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A lot of people in SA don't bother with the hassle of getting a licence (a 'spare' 50 Rand note in your wallet works just as well if you're stopped by police), or insurance for that matter as it isn't compulsory. Couple that with the fact that vehicles in SA only have to have a Roadworthy test when they're sold and you might start to get the picture of what life is like in Africa.
    What's far more worrying is this article about the surge in violence against women in SA once the lockdown was eased:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-man-charged-murder-tshegofatso-pule-gender-violence-shocked-nation-a9573406.html
    Balrog99Grond0ProontJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The National Hockey League (NHL) is desperately attempting to finish off their season and reward The Stanley Cup this season. They will be playing in two host/hub cities only and playing in empty arenas.

Currently they are at Stage 2, where players from the 24 teams who have made the playoffs can elect to come back to their practise facility rinks and attempt to prepare for these playoffs but it seems to be backfiring as 11 NHL players have now tested positive for COVID and one team, Tampa Bay Lightning, has had to shut down their facility due to an outbreak.

I’m personally hoping they can pull it off, I want my hockey, but if this trend continues, they may have to face reality and not only cancel these playoffs, but postpone next season as well.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    deltago wrote: »
    The National Hockey League (NHL) is desperately attempting to finish off their season and reward The Stanley Cup this season. They will be playing in two host/hub cities only and playing in empty arenas.

Currently they are at Stage 2, where players from the 24 teams who have made the playoffs can elect to come back to their practise facility rinks and attempt to prepare for these playoffs but it seems to be backfiring as 11 NHL players have now tested positive for COVID and one team, Tampa Bay Lightning, has had to shut down their facility due to an outbreak.

I’m personally hoping they can pull it off, I want my hockey, but if this trend continues, they may have to face reality and not only cancel these playoffs, but postpone next season as well.

Major League Baseball has suspended all Spring Training activities after multiple players and staff members of the Philadelphia Phillies became infected. If you'll recall, one of the major catalysts that woke up the American public the first time was the twin news of Tom Hanks getting the virus, and the NBA stopping a game during warm-up and clearing the arena, before suspending play indefinitely. I don't foresee anything good on the horizon. Like one disease expert in New Zealand was recently quoted "it seems like the US has just given up" on fighting the virus. Yes, we had. We're about to be forced back into caring.
    smeagolheartThacoBell
    edited June 2020
    The president never wanted to do anything to begin with for months he called it a hoax and did nothing. He invoked the war production act then didn't even use it for like a week. His national response has been to hijack and steal PPE for himself so everyone he comes into contact with can be tested and he can be filmed without a mask. Those supplies he doesn't keep for himself he forces the states to fend for themselves and bid against each other for. Even this was too much he then has been trying to force everyone back to work and into danger to keep the stock market up.

To out it bluntly, we would have been better off without his version of a federal response.

If he has done nothing we'd be better off. Yes some states would do awful but right now all states are doing awful because of his influence.
    ProontZaxares