Skip to content

[IWD2] Wisdom, Charisma, and Paladin

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited June 2020 in Off-Topic
My paladin is currently level 7. He has 12 Wisdom and 14 Charisma. The number of his known spells is just three level 1 spells, and he can only memorize two level 1 spells. Are those numbers normal? I hope he can memorize more spells.

Also, what does Charisma do for paladins other than making Turn Undead more effective?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I would have guessed he'd have level 2 spells by now, but it doesn't seem too unusual. Paladins are not great spellcasters by nature; they get fewer spell slots than clerics and also cast levels at half their actual paladin level.

Charisma is very good for paladins. Paladins get a bonus to all of their saving throws equal to their CHA modifier. Thus, your paladin's 14 CHA gives him a +2 bonus to all saving throws.
    Ian579ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Lemme pull out the Prima guide for this:

According to it, Paladins:

Add their CHA modifier to AC
    Add their CHA modifier to lay on hands

I want to say it also adds dmg bonus to Smite, but that isn’t in the book and neither is the save bonus (which was standard in 3.5e) so I don’t know if that is in IWD2
    Ian579
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    paladins can eventually cast up to level 4 spells, but they require 14 WIS to do so ( to be able to cast spells you must have 10 + spell level of said ability score to cast a spell of that level ) so since you have 12 WIS you are only going to be able to cast up to level 2 spells regardless of what your paladin level is
    AedanIan579ThacoBell
    deltago wrote: »
    Lemme pull out the Prima guide for this:

According to it, Paladins:

Add their CHA modifier to AC
    Add their CHA modifier to lay on hands

I want to say it also adds dmg bonus to Smite, but that isn’t in the book and neither is the save bonus (which was standard in 3.5e) so I don’t know if that is in IWD2
    Right, I think the paladin's Lay on Hands ability in IWD2 is equal to the character's paladin level times their CHA modifier. A level 7 paladin with 14 CHA would heal 7*2=14 HP with Lay on Hands.

There's no AC bonus for paladins in IWD2. I'm not sure how Smite is calculated, but it might be a factor of CHA, just like Lay on Hands.
    Ian579
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited June 2020
    Thanks all! Very helpful information for creating a paladin. :)
    edited June 2020
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    paladins can eventually cast up to level 4 spells, but they require 14 WIS to do so ( to be able to cast spells you must have 10 + spell level of said ability score to cast a spell of that level ) so since you have 12 WIS you are only going to be able to cast up to level 2 spells regardless of what your paladin level is

Well... my paladin has gained a few levels, and he already can cast one level 3 spell.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I wonder if that means that IWD2 didn't implement the wisdom rule for divine casting?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    AFAIK it did. I've been capped on spells before.

@Ian579 Did you bump up wisdom in a level-up? Or maybe you have some gear that boosts WIS?
    BelgarathMTH
    edited June 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    AFAIK it did. I've been capped on spells before.

@Ian579 Did you bump up wisdom in a level-up? Or maybe you have some gear that boosts WIS?

I didn't. I bumped up his constitution instead, and he isn't wearing any wisdom-boosting gears. His wisdom is still 12.
    Post edited by Ian579 on
    Maybe it's CHA that determines spell slots for paladins, like it is for bards and sorcerers. I was always unclear on whether it was CHA or WIS for paladins.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Maybe it's CHA that determines spell slots for paladins, like it is for bards and sorcerers. I was always unclear on whether it was CHA or WIS for paladins.

for paladins in 3rd edition its supposed to be WIS for their spells, so its possible that IWD 2 didn't implement this fully through when they made it for whatever reason
    BelgarathMTH