Skip to content

Share your story predictions about BG3

Comments

• byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited June 2020
    @JuliusBorisov I definitely hope that the prediction on the story you just posted turns out to have some truth to it :smile:
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    And another prediction based on the reveal.

The main plot will be related to the Dead Three, and THIS will be the connection to original BG I & II but Larian can't tell that directly because that would spoil the main plot.

Notice the sign of a skull with flames around it (the necklace):

uidyrywl3txj.png

It's the symbol of the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal). https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/06/dd-baldurs-gate-the-dead-three.html

So the "cult of the Absolute" to which the goblins and the hobgoblin belong to is connected to the Dead Three.

sapw0nwprzlu.png

From the Descent into Avernus campaign:

"Baldur's Gate has long been plagued by followers of the Dead Three-the gods Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. I
    thought we had wiped them out, but apparently not."

"Bane (the Lord of Tyranny), Bhaal (the Lord of Murder), and Myrkul (the Lord of Bones) make up the Dead
    Three. While these deities have lost much of their power, their faiths still command respect and fear
    throughout Baldur's Gate. While open worship of the Dead Three is frowned upon in Baldur's Gate, their worship is not illegal-so long as worship remains within the laws. Every now and then, rumors surface that a powerful political figure is a Bhaalspawn. These claims almost always prove to be smear campaigns with no basis in truth- though, in some cases, such claims have actually raised a figure's standing in the public eye."

Interesting. I wonder how those people who have posted in this forum hating the timers in P:Km will react to having only a few days to get the tadpole out of them. I can see at least some people who hated on Owlcat giving Larian a pass on it.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    kanisatha wrote: »

The main plot will be related to the Dead Three, and THIS will be the connection to original BG I & II but Larian can't tell that directly because that would spoil the main plot.

uidyrywl3txj.png

It's the symbol of the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal). https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/06/dd-baldurs-gate-the-dead-three.html

So the "cult of the Absolute" to which the goblins and the hobgoblin belong to is connected to the Dead Three.

sapw0nwprzlu.png

"Baldur's Gate has long been plagued by followers of the Dead Three-the gods Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. I

"Bane (the Lord of Tyranny), Bhaal (the Lord of Murder), and Myrkul (the Lord of Bones) make up the Dead
    Three. While these deities have lost much of their power, their faiths still command respect and fear
    throughout Baldur's Gate. While open worship of the Dead Three is frowned upon in Baldur's Gate, their worship is not illegal-so long as worship remains within the laws. Every now and then, rumors surface that a powerful political figure is a Bhaalspawn. These claims almost always prove to be smear campaigns with no basis in truth- though, in some cases, such claims have actually raised a figure's standing in the public eye."

Interesting. I wonder how those people who have posted in this forum hating the timers in P:Km will react to having only a few days to get the tadpole out of them. I can see at least some people who hated on Owlcat giving Larian a pass on it.

Unless missing the timer won't mean game over, I'm ok with it, especially if giving up to the tadpool will result in transforming into something different or shifting evil. That would in fact be interesting. If, however missing the deadline will kill PC, that would be awful.

I have many issues with P:K, but timer is not even the most annoying one.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Cahir wrote: »

uidyrywl3txj.png

sapw0nwprzlu.png

Unless missing the timer won't mean game over, I'm ok with it, especially if giving up to the tadpool will result in transforming into something different or shifting evil. That would in fact be interesting. If, however missing the deadline will kill PC, that would be awful.

Well, according to long established lore, ceremorphosis does result in the "host" character dying a gruesome death, with the resulting mindflayer being a completely separate entity. For me, that should be game over because I didn't roll up a mindflayer as my PC. And personally it would be game over anyway because I will not play a mindflayer. But yes, maybe they will allow you to play on as a mindflayer, and that will be justifiable grounds for mercilessly ridiculing the game as far as I am concerned.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

uidyrywl3txj.png

sapw0nwprzlu.png

Besides a book that Firebead gives the PC, and the opening dungeon of SoD, the Dead Three as a whole are never mentioned in the Baldur's Gate saga. This hardly ties in the first two games even if they go the convoluted route and say all the souls that devil is collecting is actually to replace all the Bhaalspawn souls that Bhaal was suppose to consume for his resurrection even though none of these souls have a connection to the divine like the Bhaalspawn. And actually, that's my plot prediction there.
  • RedRodentRedRodent Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2020
    deltago wrote: »
    Besides a book that Firebead gives the PC, and the opening dungeon of SoD, the Dead Three as a whole are never mentioned in the Baldur's Gate saga. This hardly ties in the first two games even if they go the convoluted route and say all the souls that devil is collecting is actually to replace all the Bhaalspawn souls that Bhaal was suppose to consume for his resurrection even though none of these souls have a connection to the divine like the Bhaalspawn. And actually, that's my plot prediction there.

Regardless of how big of a part the cult of the Absolute will play in the game, Bhaal being one of the Dead Three and one of the central figures of the saga is certainly a connection to the old games. How big that connection is remains to be seen, but it does tie the games together to some extent.
    Post edited by RedRodent on

uidyrywl3txj.png

sapw0nwprzlu.png

Well, according to long established lore, ceremorphosis does result in the "host" character dying a gruesome death, with the resulting mindflayer being a completely separate entity. For me, that should be game over because I didn't roll up a mindflayer as my PC. And personally it would be game over anyway because I will not play a mindflayer. But yes, maybe they will allow you to play on as a mindflayer, and that will be justifiable grounds for mercilessly ridiculing the game as far as I am concerned.

Point taken. I admit, I'm not familiar with the lore behind ceremorphosis, I was more thought that giving up the tadpool could be resulting in turning evil. I would not play a fully fledged mindflayer myself either.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

uidyrywl3txj.png

sapw0nwprzlu.png

I have a feeling good characters, including lawful good, will get an option to actually find a cleric which was mentioned a few times, and cure the condition.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited June 2020
    Set in an alternate timeline where Jaheira died instead of her husband. The player joins the party of Khalid who, after finding his courage when freed from his nagging other half, mysteriously emerged as the sole survivor of Irenicus' Dungeon and is celebrated as the hero of Baldur's gate.
    Character progression, under the fatherly hand of a pipeweed smoking Khalid (there will be constant references to this) will centre around player's rediscovery of what it means to be a halfling (the only non negotiable character creation choice in the game) after the discovery of a fast travel system more unbelievable than the Great Eagles of Endor. (you'll hit a wormhole at the edge of the map where the closing syllables of "you must gather your party before venturing fourth" will be stretched into infinity as you are dragged into the event horizon.. FOououuuuruuuurrrrthhhhhhhhh"

The main plot line begins when Minsc looses Boo down a trouser leg, Eagle-eyed Pratchett fans will understand that things are about to get even more exciting. As it turns out, Minsc is wearing the Stretch-Pants of the Anachronist. Things take a sinister turn after charname follows Boo down a trouser leg to an alternate universe where halflings have taken over the world and all the good guys are hiding out in the under dark where the Drow and Illithid are running some kind of Demolition Man style operation with rat-pizza and vintage cars. You'll notice that the surface world has basically been turned over to longbottom leaf production and it immediately clicks that Khalid was a baddy from an alternate universe the whole time! though you kind of prefer it that way.

The Sequel, Baldur's Gate IV: Icewind Dale, is set in Thay and will gain more positive reviews through constant presence of Spock Viconia, but you hold personal reservations about this as the show itself game just doesn't grab you in the same way as BG-IV.

Spoilers!
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Point taken. I admit, I'm not familiar with the lore behind ceremorphosis, I was more thought that giving up the tadpool could be resulting in turning evil. I would not play a fully fledged mindflayer myself either.

I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that I'd actually be interested to try playing as a mind flayer. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch from playing a particularly evil PC (remember that according to lore, characters like Blackguards are among some of the vilest of the vile, consorting with fiends, sacrificing innocents etc.) However, I think the biggest problem would be in trying to reconcile why exactly your new illithid PC would continue to follow the main plot of the game (assuming that the Dead Three are indeed having a major role in the story) and not simply Plane Shift immediately to find the rest of his illithid compatriots and then follow whatever edicts the Elder Brain commands of you.

I'm still not sure how Larian is going to weave together these two seemingly very disparate plot threads of the ceremorphosis problem (and why exactly you've managed to pick up the interest of fiends like Raphael) and the ascendance of the Cult of the Absolute. It really does seem like the two would have very little to do with each other. I really hope that it's not going to be a similar situation like what we saw in NWN2 with the Sword of Gith and the main plot against the King of Shadows. (They really could have substituted the Sword of Gith with another home-brew creation of a MacGuffin weapon to destroy the King of Shadows and it would have worked just as well.)

With regards to lore about ceremorphosis, yes, if the process is completed, the host dies and the mind/soul of the illithid tadpole takes over completely. The host's soul is free to depart to the Outer Planes, but if the host's friends wish to Raise/Resurrect their dead friend, they will need to find and slay the new illithid first before either spell will work. (A True Resurrection spell has no such limitations.)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I personally don't see the difference in playing a vampire, and one NPC/Origin is just that, or a Illithid. One feeds on blood the other on brains. I sincerely doubt we would ever get that option, since the Illithid would replace the charname and essentially create a completely new one, but I would be delighted if that was an option. I like options; even "bad" options are good options if you can choose to do or ignore them at your will.
  • RedRodentRedRodent Member Posts: 78
    A mind flayer companion similar to Clarota from Critical Role would be great. The problem with the current Sword Coast setting is that most people would freak out seeing an illithid strolling about in the streets. As cool as the prospect of learning more about mind layer culture is, that is probably something easier realized in a setting such as Planescape.

I suppose the whole "camp follower"-thing might lend itself to a reluctant illithid hanging around though.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2020
    RedRodent wrote: »
    A mind flayer companion similar to Clarota from Critical Role would be great. The problem with the current Sword Coast setting is that most people would freak out seeing an illithid strolling about in the streets. As cool as the prospect of learning more about mind layer culture is, that is probably something easier realized in a setting such as Planescape.

I suppose the whole "camp follower"-thing might lend itself to a reluctant illithid hanging around though.
    You could always use the Goris from Fallout trick

fallout-fallout2-goris-gif-9366651

https://tenor.com/NsRb.gif
    RedRodent wrote: »

Nothing a simple illusion spell laid over yourself wouldn't fix. ;) But I agree, it's more likely that, if there WAS an illithid companion, they'd be more of a camp follower/adviser type.

Another issue is that illithids do not like being out in open sunlight. They're not harmed directly by it, like vampires or spectres are, but the thought of the experience holds scant appeal for them, similar to how most humans would not enjoy having to walk a tightrope over a 10-story drop even if every safety precaution was taken and there was no risk of them falling.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Having a 'friendly' illithid hanging around like the Hidden would be cool indeed.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited July 2020
    I posted this on Steam, might as well post it here as well. These are my predictions (in order of probability) of returning characters returning in some capacity:

Minsc & Boo
    With Minsc appearing in other D&D medium such as comics, NWMMO and Idle Champions, as well as being a fan favourite, it is safe to say he is probably going to at least make a cameo appearance.
    What I personally would like: Since the Mindflayers in the opening cinematic were Spacejammers, it'd be cool to have a quest where we take Boo, the giant minature space hamster home in one of the ships, some how.

Coran
    Coran, a recruitable NPC in the first game, should make an appearance in BG3 after he was in the campaign Murder in Baldur's Gate as well as the comics Legends of Baldur's Gate and is part of the Parliament of Peers in the city of Baldur's Gate. His strong connection to the city make him a perfect returnee in some capacity.
    What I personally would like to see: Tying one of his plot points from the first game into this one and having Namara or even Brielbara make an appearance.

Jaheira
    Would be an elderly half-elf at this time, but she would be the perfect person to tie the Harpers into BG3. With her recent appearance in Idle Champions, it isn't too far of a stretch to see her in this game.
    What I personally would like to see: Her tied more in with the story than just a cameo or quest giver. I think she'd be too old (or powerful) to travel with but her appearing as the High Druid of Cloakwood needing something from (or stopping the use of) the flooded mines would be a great throwback.

Viconia
    A priestess of Shar in the first two games, she can easily tie in with Shadowheart and will still be alive. Yes, there was an option of making her become good in the first game but that doesn't mean that decision has to be canon.
    What I personally would like to see: truthfully, not much but her being woven into Shadowheart's story somehow.

Aerie
    Aerie, being an elf, could make an appearance.
    What I personally would like to see: Her, and Gorion's Ward's child tied into the story surrounding whatever role Bhaal plays in BG3. The child, being Gorion's Ward should have some of Bhaal's essence and it is a loose end that was never tied up nicely in BG2. Having a winged half-elven antagonist or recruitable NPC would be epic with Larian's use of verticality in the game.

Jansen
    Not Jan, but another of his extended ilk and he being referenced by that family member...constantly.
    What I personally would like to see: Gnomes. recruitable one.

Lassal
    He was one of Bodhi's vampires that Gorion's Ward defeated. Yes technically he was staked, but Larian can write around that and say it wasn't him that was staked, but one of his minions and he fled north after the battle.
    What I personally would like to see: Astarion needs a master, why not have that master be one of the vampires from BG2. Astarion has already referenced his master as "he" so Lassal, IMO makes the most sense to use.

Caelar Argent
    Just to troll those who despise Siege of Dragonspear, have Caelar Argent, the antagonist from the expansion make an appearance. She's trapped in hell where Gorion's Ward left her and there seems to be some connection to first plane of hell with Baldur's Gate with Descent into Avernus. I personally thin k it'd be a very nice fit.
    What I personally would like to see: If she does make an appearance, it'd probably be later in the game. Her as a recruitable companion then would be ideal in that situation to at least get her out of her predicament.

I honestly don't think I missed anyone. All other humans besides Minsc would be dead and Jaheira is already pushing the limits on half-elves. Xan might make an appearance but they'd really have to explain why he'd come back to the city of Baldur's Gate. Kivan as well but his story seems to be finished IMO and besides Jan (as his relative could tell endless - literally - stories about him, I wouldn't accept some relative as a means of that person coming back, since well, it isn't that person and a brand new character who might only reference them in passing.
    I would also add dwarves to the pot, they are also long-lived, maybe not as much as elves, but still, a hundred years is not so much for them. I would be happy of Korgan received more love than in BG2. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about Kagain and Yeslick, but they too could have make at least cameo appearances. Technically Mazzy could be still alive too, but she would have been very old at this point (something like 80+ in human terms).
    IIRC, Korgan dies in his epilogue though, does he not? (He died the way he lived, amidst an astounding amount of blood and carnage.) In fairness though, it doesn't say WHEN he died, so it could potentially be at a more distant point in his future.

@deltago: That is an AWESOME idea for a Minsc/Boo send-off. :D Honestly, I'm actually of the opinion that Minsc and Boo are starting to wear out their welcome a little. They've been cameo'd and mentioned in so, SO many D&D games that the joke is starting to wear a bit thin; they're at risk of becoming a trope rather than genuine characters. So, for BG3 I would rather like it if we had a chance to give the two of them, or at least Boo, a proper story farewell.

I would prefer for any story content involving the love interests (or Gorion's Ward themselves) from previous games to either be left vague, or allow the player to provide some input on how it actually went down. For instance, you might be able to have a discussion with Volo about the events of BG2 and Volo says one thing (the canonical path, where Abdel refused godhood), but the player can interject and go "No, I heard he actually ascended, and he made his drow lover, Viconia, the first of his new priesthood.")
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Zaxares Oh yeah, Korgan is VERY dead. Along with a dwarven clan and who knows how many Drow.

Eh, Minsc and Boo ALREADY had a great send off. At this point, WotC have just been parading the corpses around to bank on nostalgia.

I don't know how much a player can influence the Bhaalspawn history, since Abdel Adrian is already confirmed to be the Bhaalspawn. That ship sailed as soon as it was announced.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    It's been so long since I beat the game without ascension, that I dont think I remember any of the vanilla epilogues anymore.

I like the list a lot. I'd not a huge fan of Minsc being a meaningful character in the game, so I kinda hope it's a cameo and nothing more (but I may be in the minority there).

Do we know if there's canon on Aerie and the Bhaalspawn? I actually dont know if any of the romances are considered canon or not - are they? (I also dont know exactly WHAT is canon either. I think I remember someone pointing out that there are already enough contradictions between the books and the Murder at Baldur's Gate module that we probably cannot assume the book is being used faithfully).,
    Dunno if it helps, but in the AP "Murder in Baldur´s gate" the duke Abdel Adrian is single, no relationships or family known.
    The events in MiBG takes place a hundred years after the Baalspawn crises. tho. (Even Abdel Adrian is human, Adrian is more than a century old, and his divine heritage has kept him well preserved)
    Duke Abdel Adrian
    "Among Baldurians, Duke Abdel Adrian is universally
    considered to be the city’s greatest hero, second only to
    Balduran the Brave.
    The wizard Gorion raised
    Adrian in Candlekeep, but
    Adrian, a child of Bhaal,
    was swept up in a series of
    deadly events orchestrated
    by his half-siblings, the
    Bhaalspawn. Adrian’s life as
    an adventurer became noto
    rious when he saved Baldur’s
    Gate from the Iron Throne’s
    --
    machinations and killed his Duke Abdel Adrian
    half-brother Sarevok to avert
    a war with Amn.
    Afterward, Adrian fought countless battles against
    people seeking to use his Bhaalspawn blood for
    nefarious purposes. Baldurians know little of these
    adventures, and few people alive today comprehend
    the meaning of Adrian’s status as a Bhaalspawn. Most
    people believe the God of Murder is long dead and,
    if they know anything of Adrian’s story, that their
    beloved duke made certain Bhaal remained dead.
    Following his adventuring days, Adrian lived for a
    time in contemplation in Candlekeep in solitude.
    He eventually
    decided to settle in Baldur’s Gate, which had become
    his second home.
    Adrian joined the Flaming Fist as a private and
    quickly ascended through the mercenary company’s
    ranks. Lower City citizens respected his courage and
    dashing ways, and Outer City residents loved him for his
    charitable works. After Valarken killed the Flaming Fist’s
    marshal, who was also a duke, Adrian replaced him in
    both positions. He originally tried to turn down his ducal
    nomination, but public acclaim was too strong, and the
    military leader reluctantly accepted the post.
    Adrian is more than a century old, and his divine
    heritage has kept him well preserved. He appears to
    be in his sixties, and his body retains the strength of
    youth. At nearly 7 feet in height, Adrian towers over
    most Baldurians. Black hair frames his unrelenting eyes
    and slightly wizened face. Unlike other dukes, he wears
    comfortable, plain garments and shuns jewelry. The
    only time he dresses as a state official is for parades.
    Adrian rarely speaks at council meetings. But when
    he does, his voice for moderation carries tremendous
    weight. Most days, Duke Adrian walks the city’s streets,
    talking with citizens; helping them in their daily labors;
    and offering charity, an encouraging word, or a stern
    reprimand as needed. He sometimes seems grim and
    lost in thoughts, perhaps of days past, but the Flaming
    Fist marshal and Council of Four duke is also known to
    break out in great guffaws when the occasion arises"
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    That actually sketches a likeable character.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen wrote: »

Probably for the best they left our Abdel hitting on Jaheira while Khalid was alive, And Bodhi (ew).
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    lroumen wrote: »

Probably for the best they left our Abdel hitting on Jaheira while Khalid was alive, And Bodhi (ew).

Never read the books or any of that stuff, but from what I hear they were complete rubbish.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The books are pretty much downplayed as far as canon goes (probably because they are aware of their unpopularity). The only thing still relevant from them is the name.

If you tried to push them to an answer they'd probably say they are canon as a matter of policy. But as long as you don't they seem perfectly happy to have Abdel be more of a shrouded in mysteries kind of hero.
    ...And maybe not even the name, because Abdel Adrian was the name of one of the premade characters of the original game, prior to the books. And yeah, the BG books were really bad in lore and writing IMHO.

Agreed,but I don't think Abdel the premade character appeared until the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. I'm thinking that at that point the basic premise/plot outline of the book might already have been planned and they tool the name from there.

But I don't even really know when the book was released (or written, or planned) in relation to the releases of the games. It's possible the author took the name from the games, I guess.
    edited July 2020
    The books of the "writer" P. Athans came in July 1 1999 and Sep 1, 2000
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CJDFM9A/ref=dp_st_078691985X

BG1 release was in 1998, Tales of the Sword Coast went gold on April 26, 1999, and shipped to retailers on May 4 so my bet is that the author picked the name from the game.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Tales_of_the_Sword_Coast

I suppose it depends on how much time did it take the author to perpetrate "write" the books.
    Thanks for looking it up, I appreciate it!

I'm feeling like it probably took him more than three months to inflict the books though ;)
    edited July 2020
    Sure, I agree it would take more time than that to wreak something like the books and unleash them upon the world; but In the article above Mark Asher of CNET Gamecenter reported that "Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast" began development in 1998, one year after the release of the first of the books upon the world.