Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i asked that as well. i'm assuming no.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Some new cleric and paladin orders would be great if that’s possible - always wanted to roll with a paladin/cleric of lathander
    kanisatha
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Some new cleric and paladin orders would be great if that’s possible - always wanted to roll with a paladin/cleric of lathander

Currently IWD2EE doesn't add any new cleric or paladin orders, but it adds additional multiclass options for paladin and monk orders.

3pitm5zegqjv.bmp

(Multiclassing to a sorcerer makes more sense for a paladin, since both paladins and sorcerers use Charisma).
    ilduderinosemiticgoddess
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    So "IwD2 Complete" is on 50% off sale on GOG right now (and NwN2 Complete as well). For those of you very active users of GOG, is 50% off a very good deal, or does GOG often have even better deals than this on these kinds of old games?
    that tends to be how much they are always on sale. they never go lower.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Ya, 50% off is pretty much standard. Depending on the sales occassion it can also be 60%, 85% or even 90% off. The latter being usually the case once per year, I feel. I myself bought it like around such times as well. Think I paid like two bucks for it . Same situation with NwN2.

Sometimes DnD games become free on GOG for a short amount of time as well. That was, for instance the case with The Eye of the Beholder. The classic NwN1 also enjoyed the same priviledge a couple of years back.
    kanisathaThacoBellProont
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Ya, 50% off is pretty much standard. Depending on the sales occassion it can also be 60%, 85% or even 90% off. The latter being usually the case once per year, I feel. I myself bought it like around such times as well. Think I paid like two bucks for it . Same situation with NwN2.

Sometimes DnD games become free on GOG for a short amount of time as well. That was, for instance the case with The Eye of the Beholder. The classic NwN1 also enjoyed the same priviledge a couple of years back.
    Great. Thanks. So maybe I'll hold off for a bit and wait for an even better deal. I'm not in any hurry. I have several other games to play right now anyway. Since I already have bought these games years ago at full price, it bothers me to pay a lot for them a second time.
    megamike15
    Can zooming in and out also be replicated, I wonder?
    Flashburnkanisatha
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    kanisatha wrote: »

Great. Thanks. So maybe I'll hold off for a bit and wait for an even better deal. I'm not in any hurry. I have several other games to play right now anyway. Since I already have bought these games years ago at full price, it bothers me to pay a lot for them a second time.

I thought this was interesting enough to share:
    https://isthereanydeal.com/game/icewinddaleiicomplete/history/

The historical low is $2.49 (75%) off, but GOG also includes IWD2 in semi-regular "D&D bundles" where the more you buy (or already own on GOG), the more you save. I think that's when you hit that roughly 85% off discount.
    kanisathaProont
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    Can zooming in and out also be replicated, I wonder?

This is the feature I'm most hoping for!

My question: will there be a way to skip the rule changes and only install the engine/cosmetic changes? (I'm including the pan and quickloot as engine/cosmetic changes.)
    IseweinProont
    iwd 2 just feels odd when i went back to it after getting used the ee's. so i may hold off replaying iwd 2 until this mod is finished as everything added with this make the experiance less annoying then it was when i played t last year.
    ilduderino
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited August 2020
    kanisatha wrote: »
    So "IwD2 Complete" is on 50% off sale on GOG right now (and NwN2 Complete as well). For those of you very active users of GOG, is 50% off a very good deal, or does GOG often have even better deals than this on these kinds of old games?

According to https://isthereanydeal.com/game/icewinddaleiicomplete/history/, the game goes on sale several times per year, at a discount of somewhere between 50% and 75%.
    (Curiously, all the 2019 deals were 75% off, but so far all the 2020 deals have been only 50% off.)
    kanisatha
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2020
    If you want to guarantee it is available as a bargain soon then buy it now

Is there any chance of the able learner feat making it in and / or to have more info about the joinable npcs (e.g. screenshots like for Vrek)? Am more excited about this than any new release of the last few years (though I did enjoy chimera squad)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2020
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    ilduderino wrote: »
    This looks great!

Intrigued by the joinable NPCs, will there be enough for full good or evil parties so you could start off solo and then add NPCs, or is it more likely to be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two?

Thanks!

It would probably be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two, or just create a full party.

Will the joinable NPCs have interjections, banters, etc? I imagine it's easier said than done when the engine isn't exactly designed for companions. I remember the IWD2 NPC mod managed to implement them, although it worked differently to BG.

Currently they don't. But they will. There are some plans to add interjections and banters. This mod won't be complete if the joinable NPCs are no more interesting than random player-created characters.

If that's the plan, I would be absolutely thrilled for crossmod with Domi's amazing IWD2 NPC posse.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If anyone in your party is wounded, does he also attack you like the Abishai in the Ice Temple? :P
    ilduderino
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @ThacoBell
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    If anyone in your party is wounded, does he also attack you like the Abishai in the Ice Temple? :P

No; that had been because the abishai had been controlled by Caged Fury. Xhaan can only join the party after you get rid of Caged Fury.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessAedanrami
    @ThacoBell
    ThacoBell wrote: »

No; that had been because the abishai had been controlled by Caged Fury. Xhaan can only join the party after you get rid of Caged Fury.

I was joking ;)
  • GloriousCheeseGloriousCheese Member Posts: 13
    wonder if there'll be an android version in future? would be great to have everything on my android phone to play on the go.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @GloriousCheese: Very unlikely. Without the source code, there's only so much we can do to modify the game. Adding support for other platforms is the sort of thing I think only a company like Beamdog with access to the source code could do.
    rami
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Without the source code, there's only so much we can do to modify the game. Adding support for other platforms is the sort of thing I think only a company like Beamdog with access to the source code could do.

@semiticgod Or, you could utilize GemRB instead of IE in the future. Open source “engine replacers“ like it (such as OpenMW and Daggerfall Unity) are not depended on the original game's source code and thus more accessable for modders. All thanks to the wonders of reverse engine coding. ;)

Granted, the IwD2 side of GemRB is still a work in progess. But once its completeable and sufficiently polished it will be possible to play the second installment of Icewind Dale not only on Windows. But on OS X, Linux, BSD, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi, AmigaOS and several other systems as well. It will take some time until then tho. Still, it's a worthy project to keep in mind.
    Proont
  • GloriousCheeseGloriousCheese Member Posts: 13
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @GloriousCheese: Very unlikely. Without the source code, there's only so much we can do to modify the game. Adding support for other platforms is the sort of thing I think only a company like Beamdog with access to the source code could do.

oh, i thought that you guys were partnering with Beamdog when your page disappeared from Github and appeared here instead. well, hopefully there's much more progress on GemRB in future as stated by @Kamigoroshi.
  • ProfErrataProfErrata Member Posts: 35
    Well, I'm very happy to see that a remake of IWD2 has been made, so is it possible to reveal now if the release of IWD2EE is in the near future, even to give a date ? Thank you by advance and bravo for your work !
    @ProfErrata Remake isn't quite the right word. Its the same game and engine, just modified to smooth out the rough edges. Essentially a large scope mod.
    megamike15semiticgoddess
    @ProfErrata: We don't have a release date as of yet. Our main coders have fixed a lot of the early bugs, but we're still testing a new refactor of the code.
    edited August 2020
    Refractors?
    che0dzwb8y5n.png
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Refrator? I don't get it.

Our hex guy, Bubb, refactored his code recently to solve a number of bugs from when he was putting together the new functions (I'm still super impressed at him creating new opcodes and allowing LUA calls in IEex). The number of crashes absolutely plummeted after the refactor; it's gotten a lot more stable since then.
    ThacoBellrami
    @semiticgod Thanks for catching my typo for me :D

The screenshot is from Megaman Legends and refractors, the big crystal, are simultaneously the power sources and currency of the setting.
    semiticgoddess
This discussion has been closed.