Skip to content

Join the Battle: Axis & Allies 1942 Online

Comments

• twobitcodertwobitcoder Member Posts: 8
    (I hope this is the right place to post this. The forum is cluttered and confusing.)

Hello Beamdog!
    I wanted to thank you for creating Axis & Allies 1942!!
    I've been waiting for this game for 20 years (the Hasbro game sucked imo so I don't count it).
    Thank you for doing a stupendous job on the game already. I played it for the first time 3 days ago and it was very, very stable. I've completed 1 full game and started a 2nd. I like how I can choose to play some nations (even on opposite sides) which is great for exploring scenario ideas.
    It's very well done for an early release game. This feels like it has had a very good project manager.

I'm eager to post suggestions and possibly bugs (if I come across any). What is the best way to do that?

Haven't tried MP yet. I'm thrilled to be able to play solo. It's been such a long time... I own every edition of the board game and sometimes just play solo (no one seems to have time these days).

Feature I LOVE about the game:
    * Ability to quit at any time with automatic save
    * Playing multiple games and switching among them
    * The way unit movement is handled in the UI
    * FAST and responsive!
    * Dice animations very cool
    * Art design overall
    * The way units are loaded into transports is brilliant (but it was hard to figure out initially)

Quality-of-life feature requests:
    * Zooming in-and-out of the map is tiresome. Would be easier if there were like 3 hard zoom levels using the 1-2-3 keys as well as mouse wheel and +/- keys.
    * I can't get used to the flat unit markers when zooming out, so I zoom out to the max before the pieces toggle from detailed to marker and don't like to keep doing this constantly. It would be great if the unit art could be left on with a toggle even at max zoom out.
    * I zoom out when planning large strategies, then zoom in to move units, and I'd like to be able to switch between 2 zoom levels with one key (and also not have the unit art change).
    * When AI is playing, even with following in Very Slow mode, the pan-and-zoom before a battle is so fast that I often can't follow and don't know exactly where the battle is taking place. I would like an option to pause the game before AI attack begins.
    * During AI attacks, I can't participate in defense. I want to roll my own dice and choose which units are lost.
    * It would be fun if there was a save feature so I could try out different strategies without starting the whole game over each time just to run common scenarios.
    * Map editor for creating custom scenarios.

That being said, the game is fun and I would continue to enjoy it with no changes made.

I hope you will add other variations of A&A as expansions.

JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the feedback, @twobitcoder. The best way to report bugs is via our Service Desk: https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/3
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Patch #10 for #AxisAllies1942 arrives today!

⚒️ More bug fixes (including those affecting Fighters & Aircraft Carriers)
    ?️ Total Victory vs. AI
    ? Player Status Indicators

Full notes are here.
    JFK
  • wolveragewolverage Member Posts: 1
    Not that this will EVER been seen by someone who goves a crap, but after losing the uk to germany by chance of 10%, im ready to ask for a refund. Not only does this game show time and time again that there is no mathematics to the die rolls, but if someone can win the game with a pipe dream then why even play....if i the allies cant win by properly defending my territories then why play? This is a 20$ game that is worse than most free to play games out there. How do you make a game that is dependant on dice, and give the mechanic a coin toss outcome. Im not dumb, 10% still is a chance but when they win beating 19 units with 11 and only take 4 loses, its pretty un even to those statistics. Not only that but if im going to lose 85 and 90% battles all game long, than the least i can get is assurance that i wont also lose to the enemy advancing with a 10% chance of winning. The lwast you could do is allow for 3rd party dice rolling apps to be used, or better yet, allow for manual dice play where i can roll my physical dice and select units lost and we can just forget about your crappy mechanic all together.
    Our May 2020 Patch will launch Season 2.

You still have a week or so to climb the ranks—before scores reset for a fresh start!
    • Season 1 ranks will show on Player Profiles
    • Season 2 will reset scores to base MMR
    • Players must play in placement matches

https://www.beamdog.com/news/player-ranks-will-reset-season-2-patch/
    JFK
    We’re kicking off Axis & Allies 1942 Online Season 2 with Patch 11!

?️Ranked Ladder Reset
    ?‍?‍?Friends List & Profile Updates
    ⚓️Improved Transport Loading & Destination Markers
    ?️Performance & Server Fixes

❗Expect an outage 10am-2pm PT❗

https://www.beamdog.com/news/season-2-kickoff-patch-notes-development-letter/
    JFKAerakar
    Greetings Commanders! We released Patch #12 for Axis & Allies 1942 Online!

This patch focuses primarily on bug fixes and online stabilization, plus a minor rework of the new Destination Markers introduced last patch. As always, a huge thanks goes out to the community for your continued support and engagement!

Patch Highlights:
    - UI Improvements to Destination Markers
    - Performance Improvements to Online Co-op with AI
    - Big focus on bug fixes, including squashing the bug that occasionally caused phase skips

Read on for full details!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/898920/eventcomments/2797251375489143157/
    AedanJFK
    edited September 2020
    Patch 13 arrives today!

Get patch details & intel on future updates in our latest development letter
    http://bit.ly/AASeason3
    • Season 3 Launch
    • Stability & Bug Fixes
    • Dice Development Plans
    • UI Overhaul News
    The Steam Digital Tabletop Fest is live— this is a good opportunity for you to try Axis & Allies 1942 Online!

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I keep asking this again and again without an answer, so here I go once more. Is there a date, or at least a timeline, for when this game will leave EA? It's been in EA for well over a year now, and surely Beamdog must be able to say how much longer they will keep the game in EA?
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I keep asking this again and again without an answer, so here I go once more. Is there a date, or at least a timeline, for when this game will leave EA? It's been in EA for well over a year now, and surely Beamdog must be able to say how much longer they will keep the game in EA?

We haven't announced any timeline for that. There are still issues to be solved and features to be added before the game leaves Early Access.
    The game still has some major bugs but it's mostly playable, enough to run tournaments. but when months and months and months and months go by with no patch it seems pretty unlikely that more than one person is handling the game at this point. I suppose as long as they keep at it that's okay I mean I waited for years for game breaking bugs to be fixed in baldur's gate EE. when they were finally fixed I started playing it. I do not beta test for free. some company treat their customers like a free QA department.
    Hmm, months without a patch you say?

Patch 14 arrives today!
    • Stabilized Dice for Custom Games
    • Defense Profiles can now be set differently for each power
    • Friends List improvements

Full notes:
    https://www.beamdog.com/news/patch-14-new-dice-option-rolls-out-today/
    good news! looking forward to playing it tonight.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    kanisatha wrote: »

We haven't announced any timeline for that. There are still issues to be solved and features to be added before the game leaves Early Access.
    Oh well, that sucks. I guess I'm waiting several more months at the very least before I get to start playing this game. :(
    installed patch 14 and played one more round of our ongoing game and was able to complete it but but there are a bunch of new bugs in this patch. I've reported one already but there are new bugs that I've never seen before like the screen going black at the end of the game. and synchronizing between players is still completely broken I mean my friend is going on to his next battle while I'm still watching the previous battle. that needs to be 100% in sync so that while we're voice chatting we see exactly the same thing that goes without saying so I don't know why I should have to say it.
  • RathonRathon Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Thank you sooooo much for developing this game. I have been missing playing A&A for years and have really been enjoying the return to the game. Y'all have done a nice job with it. Some ideas/suggestions:

After several games, I'm still finding it difficult to track the movement of units in combat and non combat moves. Would be nice if more apparent in the GUI and/or if there is a undo feature that would allow backtracking to previous step.

I very much prefer the rules variant where transports defended at a roll of 1.

A chat feature to communicate with opponents would be nice.
    JuliusBorisov
    ?Hey there, Axis & Allies 1942 Online Commanders!

We're hard at work on getting the new dice mode? just right— so we're asking a few more questions in a new survey!

Tell us what your ideal dice for Axis & Allies 1942 Online would be like!?

Take the Dice Survey
    Aerakar
  • CmdrCDCmdrCD Member Posts: 2
    Guys I have a bug to report that looks like a code oversight to me. Here is the story:
    I experienced another bug in an online ranked match. My opponent was able to launch a suicide attack with one of his fighters without having a possibility to move a carrier in range in non combat move phase. Here is what the map was like: He had a fleet and fighters in the sea zone south of Italy. I had a massive fleet 2 sea zones left of him in the chock point west of portugal. My unguarded transports where in the zone north of that (south of England). The distance of his fighters to my transports were 3 but he would need to move the carrier into my fleet to land it, meaning he would need to clear out my fleet first. That means to make it a legal move, he needs to attack my fleet with at least one unit to have a theoretical chance of clearing the zone and then move the carrier in range for the fighter during non combat. But he didn't, he simply attacked my transports with his fighter and he simply lost that fighter because he could not auto move the carrier to land it.
    By board game rules this is not allowed. The player would need to attack the sea zone needed to land the fighter BEFORE he orders the fighter to attack at distance 3. But the game does not have that coded, this needs to be addressed!

I mean this force move carrier works fine and all at pearl harbor when the sea zone in front of hawaii is empty, but there needs to be a check when it is occupied.
    The rule is there needs to be a theoretical chance that the fighter can land in non combat.

Similarily, you need to move the battle ship in the zone first before you can order your transport (I am not talking about the sea combat cunducting before the land, I am saying that the game does not let you order the landing, unless the occupied sea zone is attacked first) The very same rule should apply in the situation above, and since it works well in amphibious assaults, it simply looks like a code oversight.
  • CmdrCDCmdrCD Member Posts: 2
    I have to apologize, I forgot to add a very important information to the issue above. I am talking here about one of those games where both Russia and Germany have been eliminated and it is a deadlock between Japan (85 IPC) and the UK+US (30+55 IPC). The allies control all of western Europe and the Japaneese can't simply land his plane in France or Belgium.
    Hello Commanders,

Check out results from our Player Survey on Dice! Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts— your answers will shape the future of Axis & Allies 1942 Online.

View Survey Results -> http://bit.ly/1942dice
    Aerakar
    edited July 2021
    Greetings Commanders,

Patch 15 for Axis & Allies 1942 Online arrives today— and it is a BIG one. We’re completely overhauling the user interface, adding two new dice modes, plus many more features and fixes!

⚠️Outage Notice: Please note that Axis & Allies 1942 Online will be unavailable from 9am-2pm PDT on July 13, 2021 as we roll out the new patch.

Today’s major update represents feedback from players all across the globe: from Steam Forums, Steam Reviews, Beamdog Surveys, Beamdog Support to this forum, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Discord, and more!

Huge thanks to our community of passionate players, and to everyone who tested out these changes in our Preview Build. We couldn’t have done it without you!

Read on for full details and try the update today.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Aerakar
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited August 2021
    Hey Commanders! I have an official message from General @JuliusBorisov here:

Axis and Allies 1942 Online is coming to tablets! There will also be an AMA (Ask Me Anything) with developers on August 20, 2021 with r/Boardgames!

See full details here!
    ArviaAerakarJuliusBorisov
    Full details of the iPad launch + New Languages + Season 6 (in-progress games removal notice)

Details.
    edited August 2021
    The game launches on iPads today!

Update: The iPad version is now live!

Check out the full notes here.

You can find the game FAQ here.
    ArviaAerakar
    Want to get free keys to the game? Check out our giveaway on Reddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/wargames/comments/po900o/axis_allies_1942_online_giveaway_contest/
    bleusteelAerakar
    After today's hotfix, the game is better than ever. We released a big patch this week, now the gameplay is polished and functions well, on Steam and tablets (iOS and Android).

https://www.beamdog.com/news/patch-today-new-quality-life-features-combat-fixes/
    ArviaAerakar